PDA

View Full Version : Its Not The System, Steve, Its The Players You've Signed

whosbrianwilson
15-09-2015, 08:32 AM
AGAIN!!!!!

How embarrassing to admit that we need a defensive midfielder, when we had one of the best in the division, but he "didn't give value for money". Ask Rob Page about his value.

When Uche came back he was a nightmare - just look at him now.

Lack of man management springs to mind.

You sign three supposed ball playing midfielders who haven't got a tackle between them and wonder why we can't get the ball back.

You sign a centre half who played in the team that conceded the second most goals last season in our division and wonder why the goals against continue to flow. Nugent is not as good as Jon Guthrie.

Coulibally was available, but wasn't signed as it would hinder the development of Callum Saunders amongst others. He goes off to Peterborough and scores goals for fun. Meanwhile we sign a Liverpool youngster who presumably will hinder the development just the same.

The directors refused to let you break the bank for Lundstram, who can't get a game for Oxfor

Timmy58
15-09-2015, 09:52 AM
The reason we struggle to get players of any note is because the manager is restricted in what he can pay, so whoever were to replace Steve Davis would have the same problems. Things will never be any different as long as we have this board in charge of the club. That is not particularly a criticism of said board. They have, when all said and done, kept the club solvent for however long. I guess we have to decide what sort of club we want to support. Do we want a club with money ploughed into the first team recruitment programme, or do we want a stable club that in all likelihood will yo yo between Leagues 1 and 2. I would suggest that is for individuals to decide. I know most that post on here would prefer first team investment. In an ideal world, so would I. But I would not want to lose what the clubs ethos is which is developing players and integrating them into the first team.

whosbrianwilson
15-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Obviously we are restricted in what we can pay and my reference to the Board was to suggest that they may well have been right not to sanction the Lundstram deal.

My point is that at the level we can afford to pay, Steve's recruitment record is appalling.

To quote an old phrase "they are no better than what we've got" and far too many of Steve's signings are just that.

Timmy58
15-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Agreed, but when an ordinary player like Leigh, who looked a good player here but can't seem to get in the Bradford team goes to show how difficult it can be. In fairness to Davis and the board, it is an unenviable task finding good players willing to come her for very little