PDA

View Full Version : O/T Best chipper / worst chipper

donsdaft
09-01-2016, 11:35 AM
In Aberdeen?

Bluebird in Urquhart Road / Any of Mike's Minging Fish and Chips (but especially the one on School Road)

Pacman1903
09-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Nae up to date with Toon its self these days so ill sneak the Newmachar Fish Bar in as best and the worst chipper i ever had was a fish supper from the Ashvale on Great Western Road. It was greasy, full of minging green chips, the batter didnt stay on the fish as it was soggy. Just minging.Mrs Pac also puts it as her worst too

scobiemacd
09-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Best I ever had in the North East was either at Inverurie or more recently The Bay (?) at Stonehaven.
Worst , not in the North East, but any of the Blue Lagoon chippies in Glasgow.
There's also a strange one in King St down from Morrisons.

donsdaft
09-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Aye, the Blue Lagoon's are bowfin right enough.

I was filling in some time in Largs last year and went to a chipper in the centre.
Normally I would have fish but you can't trust the fish when you leave Aberdeen so Mrs. Donsdaft and myself went for the black pudding supper option.

Four bloody black puddings we got, each supper had two black puddings.
I mean who the f'uck can eat a pile of chips and two black puddings?

I was so surprised I nearly fed the seagulls.

Edit: Just like to add that there was nothing wrong with the food, which is surprising because two black puddings and a pile of chips for £3.50 is certainly cheaper than you would get in Aberdeen.
But if you are ever unlucky enough to be filling in a couple of hours in Largs then one black pudding supper between two is enough.

Mason89
09-01-2016, 12:05 PM
The Blue Lagoon under Glasgow Central is bowfing right enough

The smell coming from under there is horrific

Stef
09-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Best and worst both in Torry.
Mikes on Menzies Road is best IMO
Granite City Fish & Chips, Balnagask Road is the worst

donsdaft
09-01-2016, 12:13 PM
The Blue Lagoon under Glasgow Central is bowfing right enough

The smell coming from under there is horrific

Is that the chipper though, or just Glasgow?

gervaise_brookhampst
09-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Hass's Fish and chips are lovely, fresh cooked so you always need to wait but the wait is well worth it!

57vintage
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Newmachar is very good.

Ashvale at Asda Brigadon is pish.

Mike's at Mugiemoss is OK, but order now if you want a mock chop supper a week on Tuesday, as the service is slower than Richie Byrne carrying a hod of bricks.

MalagaSheep
09-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Nae a chipper lover!
Think its due to the chipper that my mither and fither used fan i was a loon was great for entertainment, big fat thing behind the counter, cursing and swearing at every costumer in the place and the superking fag hinging out the moo, fag ash for added flavour to the batter!
They dont make chippers how they used too!
Chip suppers should always be wrapped in a auld newspapper!

Buc
09-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Used to be a cracking chipper van aside the pitches sold the best chips ever. Until one day a car came doon the hill and bashed into his van with the poor chap suffering burns due to boiling fat going everywhere .. Ace chips.

67SUPERDON
09-01-2016, 04:43 PM
In modern times it is undoubtedly "The Bluebird" in Urquhart Rd. Consistently good, fish is superb, nice crispy batter and well cooked chips, nae greasy sh*te. Hass is pretty decent.
Worst= Any of BOD Ahsvale's, utterly howfin'.

Feck_the_Huns
09-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Used to be a cracking chipper van aside the pitches sold the best chips ever. Until one day a car came doon the hill and bashed into his van with the poor chap suffering burns due to boiling fat going everywhere .. Ace chips.

Aye in Danestone, you mean?

PompeyDon1903
09-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Blue lagoon is rank even when pished. Still mind Larnach's in Stonehaven, now a Chinese..

Aldo1983
09-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Anyone from the wee coonty remember Willie Hartleys in Tillicoultry? there's not a decent chippie anywhere South of that.

TheDeeDon
09-01-2016, 05:44 PM
The Torry Chipper or the Bluebird, he Bluebird gives you a more consistent product.

Mikes is an OK chipper, can be very poor we the portion sizes, one of my pals pals bought a Macaroni pie supper and got seven chips in the tray.

Buc
09-01-2016, 07:18 PM

Aye in Danestone, you mean?[/quote]

Yes that's the one

lovelldinhno
09-01-2016, 08:44 PM

Torry chipper wipes the floor with mikes .

Being a torry resident for a few years and I agree with the granite city one

redwinedon
09-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Urquhart Road been best for many many years. Hilton Chipper on Back Hilton Road also very good.

Davys in Bucksburn nae great!

jamiesd
09-01-2016, 10:34 PM
TCB Torry Chip Bar, no1 Hilton also good. Last poor one I had was Rosehill

Dandy_2_Stars
09-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Best - Paul Lawrie

Worst - Culter chipper - 70's - mid 80's

Br0chred
10-01-2016, 01:54 AM
Findlays in the Broch is the best.
Nae exactly a chipper but I was at Ocean terminal in Edinburgh and had fish & Chips in a restaurant (which is no longer there)on the first floor and it was soggy (undercooked) batter and frozen fish which had a high water content. The mixture of water and soggy batter was one of the most repulsive things I have tasted and a sorry waste of a poor fish.

Mr_Grieves
10-01-2016, 02:30 AM
I had an Ashavle fae Gt Western Rd tonight to cheer maself up and it was affa fine.

The worst one used to be on Rosemount Place - it was f*cking sh*te. Its been done up now so maybe its improved.

donsdaft
10-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Not so you would notice.
Smallest fish in Aberdeen , all be it quite fine.
Just ask for a tadpole supper.

ObanRed
11-01-2016, 10:19 AM
The Bay (if you can get in the door) is fine or "The Cod father" chip van that goes about the wee villages.
Worst chipper i ever had was in Aberfeldy, heading out towards the distillery on the left hand side. Truly minging, grease running through the paper and some dubious looking chips among said grease. Unsuprisingly got hurled for the local wildlife to enjoy.

Jock_Hawk
11-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Best - Paul Lawrie

Worst - Culter chipper - 70's - mid 80's

Incidentally, Paul Lawrie is a regular in Low's chipper in Westhill, which is fine enough. Proper mannies' sportsman.

medw1311
12-01-2016, 03:37 AM
I grew up on the Byron Chipper many moons ago, is it still even there?

ragnarok
12-01-2016, 04:33 AM
Findlays in the Broch is the best.
Nae exactly a chipper but I was at Ocean terminal in Edinburgh and had fish & Chips in a restaurant (which is no longer there)on the first floor and it was soggy (undercooked) batter and frozen fish which had a high water content. The mixture of water and soggy batter was one of the most repulsive things I have tasted and a sorry waste of a poor fish.

Lived in the capital for 9 years and decent chippers are hard to come by. Don't suppose the locals care much given that they murder the chips by soaking them in brown sauce. Globetrotter in Bruntsfield and Central on Teviot place are rare exceptions.

Always thought Mr. Chips in Mannofield was pretty good but I've heard others say bad things about it. Granted I haven't frequented in over 10 years.

Buc
12-01-2016, 07:45 AM
I grew up on the Byron Chipper many moons ago, is it still even there?

Aye very good chipper used to stay in Brebner terrace so was real handy for the buc clan ..

That was back in the day but healthy diets became more of the norm and the chippers started to feel the pinch a bit. That and the rise of the Chinese takeaways during the 70s hurt the chippers even more choice I suppose isn't always a bad thing.

Banffer_Don
12-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Best is Hass's on Holburn Street, although I'm nae as clued up on Aberdeen chippys as most of you will be

Worst I've had was The Ashvale at BoD, s**** cauld and 40 minutes late.

vasilyrats86
12-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Best - the one in Brora was nae bad as is the one I gae intae on the way back fae Pittodrie in Stonehaven

Worst The Blue Lagoon is unreal its honking as was the one on Princes Straiise in Trumpton (Thurso) in the 80s the smell awf rancid fat was on a par with the Blue Lagoon

redrowie
12-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Haven't recently been back that often, but have had a couple of very good mealie suppers from Hass's on Holburn St. A couple of years ago the guy in the chipper (kebab shop) next to Glentanar in Justice Mill Lane didn't know what a 'mealie' was. Gino will be birlin' in his grave.

Feck_the_Huns
13-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Aye in Danestone, you mean?[/quote]

Yes that's the one [/quote]

Was always going to be an accident waiting to happen, parked down there. Slippery in winter time, folk driving home p1shed from a night in the Toby Grill etc etc.

Agree, top chips though

mondo_notion
13-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Down in Edinburgh quite often and I rate 'the tailend' fish bar on Leith Walk. They do the catch of the day so it'll be what ever's been caught most recently, Pollack, Squid and the Monkfish were all brilliant. Heard it's under new management now though, hope it hasn't changed too much. Also the St.Andrews takeaway in Portobello, best kebab i've ever had.

Have to say Inverurie Ashvale for worst. I love their fish but there meats and sausages seem to just be tasteless mush wrapped in batter. No thanks.

05car
13-01-2016, 10:27 PM
tail end is good like - love their chips

gospelofthomas
14-01-2016, 02:37 AM
Greasy dod's

Servicing all the villages fa didna a resident chipper

Decent queue every time

('Twas Thursday in methlick)

gospelofthomas
14-01-2016, 02:44 AM
New Deer had a fairly tastey fish supper

Pacman1903
01-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Seems like the best thread to post this.

Im away to Wick tommorow and will need a munch on the way home. Anyone know of a kick ass chipper on the way back thats nae too far off track

(probablly winna make it home by Meldrum chipper closing)

elginred
01-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Have to say I like the Ashvale(Portlethen) chips.
Mr Chips has also opened a shop in Portlethen.An improvement on the last owner.
Good fish,but chips nae as good as the Ashvale IMO

Pacman - If you can wait til Elgin,Adolphos on Springfield road

Pauldolski10
01-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Pacman i hear the ane in Fochabers is affa good and it will be on yer way hame but its a fair bit up the road. It won an award lately

Pacman1903
01-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Cheers guys

RedStarTorphins
01-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Not a fan of chippers.
Smell great, then you get tempted to buy one & then the fat congeals in your gut... Gads!

The worst chippers are those
f uckhole Blue Lagoons.
Horrible, sh1te places to avoid.

Possibly worse than the sh1te you get offered in football grounds.

AberdeenArnold
01-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Best is the Wee Hurrie in Troon

The Philadelphia on Great Western Road Glasgow is good too.

Worst is easily the Blue Lagoon in Glasgow, Vietnamese River Cobbler sh1te, try and imagine a muddy fish supper. Horrific.

RedStarTorphins
02-04-2016, 06:42 AM
There's one near Hamiltons ground that's bearable.
You getting cracking ice cream there too strangely.
Equis.
Next to that pub on the corner "The Tap Room" I think it might be?

Pacman1903
02-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Not a fan of chippers.
Smell great, then you get tempted to buy one & then the fat congeals in your gut... Gads!

I think thats unfair

A sh@te een aye you are correct but a decent chipper(Meldrum or Newmachar for example) are a plesant cullinary experience

RedStarTorphins
02-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Not a fan of chippers.

I think thats unfair

A sh@te een aye you are correct but a decent chipper(Meldrum or Newmachar for example) are a plesant cullinary experience[/quote]

Nae for an athlete like me

mondo_notion
02-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Not a fan of chippers.

I think thats unfair

A sh@te een aye you are correct but a decent chipper(Meldrum or Newmachar for example) are a plesant cullinary experience[/quote]

Meldrum chipper has banned me fae taking my own fish in for them to fry. Now that is unfair.

elginred
02-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Not a fan of chippers.

I think thats unfair

Meldrum chipper has banned me fae taking my own fish in for them to fry. Now that is unfair.[/quote]

Nae fair if they had to gut them first ;)

Pacman1903
02-04-2016, 09:58 PM
I went to Fochabers on the way home. Bloody hell the chips were and inch by a half inch thick made from mutant massive tatties. They were like door stops, some were under cooked, most likely due to the shear girth

Fish was good though.

Got nothing on Newmachar Fish Bar though

rosscodon
02-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Doon at the in laws anoo in Eyemouth cracking chipper here Giacopiazzis, decent ice cream as well

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 05:40 PM
This definitely needs resurrecting.

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 05:44 PM

If that's really her eyes fit a fox.

However she kens bugger all about chippers if she thinks Mike's is anything like the best chipper in toon.

It's not even the best in Torry.

redscot
22-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Best is the Wee Hurrie in Troon

Ah, the Wee Hurrie is another cracker.

Took my nephews there and they said "we will have the lobster and chips"...

Me, "three fish and chips please and a pickled onion".

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Anybody had any dealings with the place on the Gallowgate beside Seamount Court?

Went in just the once. Absolutely nothing ready. Not even chips. I'm sure it's just a front for nefarious activities.

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Awe, we miss Stef

Edit: and her puppies

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Awe, we miss Stef

Edit: and her puppies

I believe this is where forum old timers would say "rules".

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Aye, but old timers would also say that the gorgeous Stef was exempt

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Aye, but old timers would also say that the gorgeous Stef was exempt

Who else on the forum is female?

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Jack Jarvis

Devanha Red
22-09-2019, 06:42 PM
Jack Jarvis

He's 100% hetro male.

There are definitely some birds on here though. I think I read buc saying she was female 🤔

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Wrong spy there min.

RED_JOHN
22-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Anyone from the wee coonty remember Willie Hartleys in Tillicoultry? there's not a decent chippie anywhere South of that.

I couldn’t remember the name of the place in Tillicoultry but the chippie on the Main Street was the best around for years. I am talking roughly 35-40 years ago! :O

I would like to add that when you go into a chippie/chipper ask for your food to be made fresh. Reheated fish and chips etc are woeful.

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 07:12 PM
Reheated?

What sort if s’hite are you used to south of Stonehaven?

RED_JOHN
22-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Reheated?

What sort if s’hite are you used to south of Stonehaven?

If a fish and chips cannot be made fresh then I will not buy the reheated sh!t that has been lying about for too long. McDonald’s is another place where you should ask for all your food to be made fresh. They will do it :)

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 07:26 PM
I went to a McDonalds once in London .

1979 it was, I have never went to one again.

I can’t imagine anything would make a difference to the tasteless s’hite they sell, fresh or not.

RED_JOHN
22-09-2019, 07:32 PM
I went to a McDonalds once in London .

1979 it was, I have never went to one again.

I can’t imagine anything would make a difference to the tasteless s’hite they sell, fresh or not.

My kids talk me into going XD

donsdaft
22-09-2019, 07:39 PM
There was a news story about a lorry load of cow’s udders coming from Ireland to a McDonalds factory being involved in an accident ( you can imagine the mess)

I used to get my kids to sing “ coo’s udder sandwich, it’s just a coo’s udder sandwich “
Every time we passed a McDonalds

RED_JOHN
22-09-2019, 08:31 PM
There was a news story about a lorry load of cow’s udders coming from Ireland to a McDonalds factory being involved in an accident ( you can imagine the mess)

I used to get my kids to sing “ coo’s udder sandwich, it’s just a coo’s udder sandwich “
Every time we passed a McDonalds

They won’t be put off XD
What is it with McDonalds? Kids love the food!

Shetland Don
22-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Believe it or not, the Ashvale in GWR did frogs legs chip suppers in the early 90s. I tried one once after a few drinks (too many) and as far as I recall it was not dissimilar to chicken, but a bit slimier, and not as substantial. Does anyone remember that?

Pacman1903
23-09-2019, 05:18 AM
He's 100% hetro male.

There are definitely some birds on here though. I think I read buc saying she was female ��

Nah min

Devanha Red
23-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Nah min

There's at least one bird on here. Somebody must know who it is?

StandfreeFM
23-09-2019, 02:37 PM
There's at least one bird on here. Somebody must know who it is?

Bit creepy JJ

Devanha Red
23-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Bit creepy JJ

We've already established it's not him.

afc1903mad
23-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Bit creepy JJ

Its fine.
He's just looking for other contributors to the forum with "no balls" XD

wester_ross_don
23-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Seems like the best thread to post this.

Im away to Wick tommorow and will need a munch on the way home. Anyone know of a kick ass chipper on the way back thats nae too far off track

(probablly winna make it home by Meldrum chipper closing)

I realise I'm now replying to a post on a thread from 2016, but the place in Helmsdale used to be pretty good. The boy was a bit of a nutter though.

You'll have to find another reason to head in a Wick-ish direction

RED_JOHN
24-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Bit creepy JJ

XD

thebeachend
24-09-2019, 07:33 PM
If mcinnes ever runs a chipper, that would be the worst. Rosehill chipper is decent. The Kiwi and Kingfisher on King St, decent back in the day.

donsdaft
25-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Have to argue the toss about the Kiwi

I remember when it opened circa 1967 and it was bowfin, plenty local competition in those days too.

It was and always has been bowfin despite many changes of ownership and more recently names.
I believe it's called Mr. Chip now and guess what, it's bowfin.

The last time I was there (maybe 18 months ago) I came across Mr. Huggis Supper.

Pished oot o' his heid, he entertained a captive audience with an extremely lengthy story about how a'body calls him Huggis Supper because he always has....you guessed it....a Huggis Supper.

Every day he has a Huggis Supper because he's Scottish and to prove how Scottish he is he always has a Huggis Supper.

He went on at some considerable length but I'm sure you have the drift by now.

Scumpie's for p'oofs.

Devanha Red
25-09-2019, 03:46 PM
If mcinnes ever runs a chipper, that would be the worst. Rosehill chipper is decent. The Kiwi and Kingfisher on King St, decent back in the day.

Kingfisher reopened relatively recently. Still orientals behind the jump. Not sure if it's any good as you'd have to be certifiably mental to go anywhere other than The Bluebird.

thebeachend
25-09-2019, 04:55 PM
I agree gents. Just checking you're solid on the Bluebird. Who remembers Carraras, now Torry Chip Bar. It's still decent.

Devanha Red
25-09-2019, 05:05 PM
I agree gents. Just checking you're solid on the Bluebird. Who remembers Carraras, now Torry Chip Bar. It's still decent.

Indeed the Torry chip bar is my chipper of choice when I'm across the water in bandit country. Current owner definitely isn't of Italianate origin but he fair kens how to handle a mock chop.