PDA

View Full Version : Good bye Olly ?????

needle
21-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Strong rumours that Martin Olsonn has agreed to join Derby . He will be a loss as he was a good attacking full back . A little weak defensively at times as in my opinion he stood off too much .
He has improved 200% since arriving when he was written off by just about everyone including me .

jordan12rhodes
21-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Markus..?

Seemed obvious he was on his way after rumours regarding a petulant tantrum at Cardiff away and his subsequent omittance from the team.

Spurr is a better defender IMO and I personally like the long throw weapon.

Bobcrompton1896
21-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Yes,when Paul Lambert played 3 subs against Newport but Olson wasnt one of them,sort of give a run-out to players committed to the team only. ;D

Quite right in my view.

jordan12rhodes
26-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Now gone.

robinrover
26-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Shame but at the end of the day if you no longer want to play for the club and your contract expires in the summer it's best to let go and get some money from the deal

AucklandRover
26-01-2016, 06:00 PM
It's the loss of the skill-factor that worries me, Robin. It's a quality we're already thin on.

jordan12rhodes
26-01-2016, 06:01 PM
It's the loss of the skill-factor that worries me, Robin. It's a quality we're already thin on.

What skill???!!! All he did was kick and rush after the ball, sometimes outpacing opponents but mostly not. Attacked like a slower poorer Andrei kanchelskis.. Next you'll be saying josh king was skillful... :)

robinrover
26-01-2016, 06:08 PM
I feel maybe as fans of a championship club we expect a bit much from our players
spurr is better defensively
Olsson is better offensively
it's a fact you struggle to find a all round package in this division if you do they dont tend to be there for long
we have got a good price for a player who was ok but not amazing the problem is we will need to replace as we are light on that side.

AucklandRover
26-01-2016, 06:16 PM

What skill???!!! All he did was kick and rush after the ball, sometimes outpacing opponents but mostly not. Attacked like a slower poorer Andrei kanchelskis..[/quote]

I'm not saying he's brilliant, JR. He definitely has his limitations. However, he does look comfortable on the ball, and we do not have many players that can be said of!
I also think we should acknowledge how hard he worked on his game. He was subjected to huge abuse on the fan-sites when he first started playing.
And some credit goes to Bowyer too, for converting him into a full-back who could win player-of-the-season.

jordan12rhodes
26-01-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm much happier with spurrsy in there personally. I think a full back should be a good defender first and anything else is a bonus. I'm a fan of the threat of the long throw from spurrsy too. Its a big miss IMO when he's not in the team.

Howie5o
26-01-2016, 06:31 PM

What skill???!!! All he did was kick and rush after the ball, sometimes outpacing opponents but mostly not. Attacked like a slower poorer Andrei kanchelskis..[/quote]

I'm not saying he's brilliant, JR. He definitely has his limitations. However, he does look comfortable on the ball, and we do not have many players that can be said of!
I also think we should acknowledge how hard he worked on his game. He was subjected to huge abuse on the fan-sites when he first started playing.
And some credit goes to Bowyer too, for converting him into a full-back who could win player-of-the-season.[/quote]

Not putting the lad down but for a full back to get player of the season just highlighted how bad the rest of the players performances actua

needle
26-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Spurrsy ?? Thats all !

AucklandRover
26-01-2016, 06:39 PM
The long throw is ok as an occasional weapon, but I wonder how many times it is effective. After all, the defenders are all expecting it. It hardly ever worked with Pedersen, certainly.
I have no problem with Spurr, but I would like to see Conway permanently on the left in front of him - especially with Marshall, Bennett and Lawrence all right-footed. (I am one of those who think we should persevere with Henley at full-back, despite his flaws. I still think he can become a good player).

Howie5o
26-01-2016, 06:42 PM
It's ok as an occasional weapon, but I wonder how many times it is effective. After all, the defenders are all expecting it. It hardly ever worked with Pedersen, certainly.
I have no problem with Spurr, but I would like to see Conway permanently on the left in front of him - especially with Marshall, Bennett and Lawrence all right-footed. (I am one of those who think we should persevere with Henley at full-back, despite his flaws. I still think he can become a good player).

I agree dont want to start getting too reliant on this long throw malarky again...Ok for a change of tactic now and again .

needle
26-01-2016, 06:50 PM
The long throw is also a foul throw from Spurr , if you watch he actually throws it with one hand .

Howie5o
26-01-2016, 06:54 PM
The long throw is also a foul throw from Spurr , if you watch he actually throws it with one hand .

Ah thats why it never goes where he intends it ..:D

AucklandRover
26-01-2016, 06:56 PM

And some credit goes to Bowyer too, for converting him into a full-back who could win player-of-the-season.[/quote]

Not putting the lad down but for a full back to get player of the season just highlighted how bad

Howie5o
26-01-2016, 07:07 PM
With quite a few players out of contract this summer i can certainly see the squad being whittled down personnel wise hence opening doors for new blood.PL mentioned in one of his early interviews that this transfer window was as you say only a stop gap with no cash being spent.Summer will be different due to accounts having to be submitted in June allegedly and the new three year ruling over FFP debts,so on paper opening the door for the club to potentially spend some money.

How many PL will need who knows but i can see a lot of the players we have now being jettisoned although we are top heavy squad wise. Quality over quantity required but again the position we re in that may not be as easy as seems.

robinrover
26-01-2016, 09:24 PM
It will be interesting to see if venkys will go all in with the summer window
Maybe somebody can inform me but can you spend your 3 year amount in the one season or does it have to fall within the 12 million per year?

AucklandRover
26-01-2016, 09:48 PM
With quite a few players out of contract this summer i can certainly see the squad being whittled down personnel wise hence opening doors for new blood.PL mentioned in one of his early interviews that this transfer window was as you say only a stop gap with no cash being spent.Summer will be different due to accounts having to be submitted in June allegedly and the new three year ruling over FFP debts,so on paper opening the door for the club to potentially spend some money.

How many PL will need who knows but i can see a lot of the players we have now being jettisoned although we are top heavy squad wise. Quality over quantity required but again the position we re in that may not be as easy as seems.

Totally agree with your last sentence. It all comes down to how attractive a proposition our Club is now to players of the quality we need.
I am beginning to think we may need to look abroad again - always a gamble. (On the whole,

robinrover
26-01-2016, 09:58 PM
I think foreign shores need to be avoided(nothing aimed towards you aucks)the sort of players that ply their trade abroad won't be able to put up with the physicality of the championship
the sort of player we require for the number 10 esque role like a Tom ince if you like costs a fortune and just how far venkys are prepared to push remains to be seen.

jordan12rhodes
26-01-2016, 10:59 PM
The long throw is ok as an occasional weapon, but I wonder how many times it is effective. After all, the defenders are all expecting it. It hardly ever worked with Pedersen, certainly.

Simple. As allardyce does, you defend the clearance. Don't think just because a defender gets his head on spurrsy's throw first, the danger is over. You keep them boxed in and pressure them. Of course, this isn't what some would consider 'the beautiful game', but if you can win games this way, who cares?

AucklandRover
27-01-2016, 01:41 AM

Simple. As allardyce does, you defend the clearance. Don't think just because a defender gets his head on spurrsy's throw first, the danger is over. You keep them boxed in and pressure them. Of course, this isn't what some would consider 'the beautiful game', but if you can win games this way, who cares?[/quote]

I can see that, JR, and I assume that's the way PL wants us to play at the momen

jordan12rhodes
27-01-2016, 02:02 AM

Simple. As allardyce does, you defend the clearance. Don't think just because a defender gets his head on spurrsy's throw first, the danger is over. You keep them boxed in and pressure them. Of course, this isn't what some would consider 'the beautiful game', but if you can win games this way, who cares?[/quote]

I can see that, JR, and I assume

robinrover
27-01-2016, 06:11 AM
The big problem aucks is when we hoof it clear from defence we don't always do enough to press from the knock down thus inviting the team back on to us
going forward I can see improvements however it won't be until next season we see it click fully
HOPEFULLY.

needle
27-01-2016, 07:10 AM
I have always said give a manager ten games and you can then make a judgement . Lambert has had eleven , so if it isn`t working by now it never will . I`m sure the ones who have posted on here for a good while , will know exacly what I`m on about here .

Despair
27-01-2016, 07:29 AM
For me it is, and always was going to be about the summer break window. This will/could be PL's one and only opportunity to make his mark.
Harking back to the other posting, given that the change was made arguably at too late a time Ie Nov., and not last summer break.
The turn of year window is but a patching opportunity (that I personally dislike and see no need for), so I think that it is understood between owner and manager that this is not the one to go whole heartedly at.
As believed by many the next one will be the sweeping broom activity. And in that, for me it's the 'do or die' moment.
So yes 10 games is a good yardstick, but I do not see it so cut and dried in our precarious position.

AucklandRover
27-01-2016, 09:20 AM
I wonder whether we are looking at half a dozen new players or just a replacement for Rhodes (if needed), and the creative midfielder we are all crying out for. PL himself has talked about someone to "unlock defences", so he is clearly on the same wavelength, but such a player won't be much use if the centre-backs are hoofing it over his head!

robinrover
28-01-2016, 06:18 AM
I am not sure a mass overhaul of players is needed
when the summer arrives a couple of strikers will be needed as brown,Jackson,delfounso and Graham will leave of course for all of the above they will be battling for a fresh contract to be offered
a creative midfielder is a must and venkys should match lamberts ambitions and give him what he needs for a decent push next season
Fair play rules are relaxed and Lambert needs to get in players who can take us from poor/average to perennial contenders.