PDA

View Full Version : Trust Mel Morris......

Luckless
08-02-2016, 08:47 PM
From the outside it is clear that all was not well at the club........some team selections bizarre to say the least .....but the fact is we don't and will not ever know the real story..... I just think that we have to trust Mel Morris judgement.

vanderlaans_header
08-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, not sure I will be taking your advice on that.

Luckless
08-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Mel Morris is not used to failure..........just trust his judgment.....

shezzer
08-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Just hope he gets the right manager in this time

vanderlaans_header
08-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Good luck to you then luckless

Rattea
08-02-2016, 09:03 PM
To be fair to Mel he's made him redundant and had the decency to tell him!

You know some people have had the shock of going on football message boards to find out they have been made redundant...... Can you imagine the shock :O

ManxRam
08-02-2016, 09:05 PM
He has invested huge money in to the club and warrants respect for that but it doesn't automatically qualify him to know how to run a football club just by being a successful businessman. All concerned should learn from this with MM and SR shouldering some blame as Old Time Ram said, when all said and done they hired him. Uninvited the chairman is as welcome in the dressing room as the manager would be in the boardroom off his own steam irrespective of whether he owns the club or not, some lines are not for crossing. Mel Morris owns DCFC and has my backing but needs to acknowledge that error and any others that he has made. As for a new manager, I need to sleep on that one but DW is not inspiring me at this point in time.

Oldtimeram
08-02-2016, 09:06 PM

OK Mel.

LankeyBill
08-02-2016, 09:26 PM
From the outside it is clear that all was not well at the club........some team selections bizarre to say the least .....but the fact is we don't and will not ever know the real story..... I just think that we have to trust Mel Morris judgement.

Is this the same Mel Morris whose judgement it was to appoint Paul Clement, a 'rookie' manager in the first place?

Is this the same Mel Morris whose judgement as Chairman has gained the Club the reputation as a soft touch on the level of transfer fees that the Club are prepared to pay for any player that the Club are persuing?

Is this the same Mel Morris who by his own words used his judgement on the value of the Club when he bought it and ended up paying 50% more than he needed "to get the deal done quickly!"?

Don't see that much that gives me confidence in trusting in Mel Morris's judgement to date.

He seems to be in too much of a hurry for some reason, which I can on

AngryRam
08-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Spot on...

AnagRam
08-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Hang on Lankey...can't argue that mistakes have been made but...it's also the same Mel Morris who is a genuine Rams fan, it's the same Mel Morris who is a genuine local man, the same Mel Morris who has proved quite handy in the area of business and the same Mel Morris who has put at least £25m of his own money into the club. Didn't hear too many complaining about him then. No one is saying he hasn't made mistakes and should be immune from criticism but we probably can trust him to have the best interests of DCFC at heart and not treat the club as a mere 'plaything'.

triz
08-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Spot on

AngryRam
08-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Hang on Lankey...can't argue that mistakes have been made but...it's also the same Mel Morris who is a genuine Rams fan, it's the same Mel Morris who is a genuine local man, the same Mel Morris who has proved quite handy in the area of business and the same Mel Morris who has put at least £25m of his own money into the club. Didn't hear too many complaining about him then. No one is saying he hasn't made mistakes and should be immune from criticism but we probably can trust him to have the best interests of DCFC at heart and not treat the club as a mere 'plaything'.

Nobody is questioning that he is a Derby lad and wants to do the best for the club he loves. But does that cloud his judgement? I did question this at the time he took over.
I hope I am wrong, I really do.. I don't want to see anyone connected to DCFC fail but I am having trouble with squaring the circle with Mel..
>:(

LankeyBill
08-02-2016, 09:49 PM
He has invested huge money in to the club and warrants respect for that but it doesn't automatically qualify him to know how to run a football club just by being a successful businessman. All concerned should learn from this with MM and SR shouldering some blame as Old Time Ram said, when all said and done they hired him. Uninvited the chairman is as welcome in the dressing room as the manager would be in the boardroom off his own steam irrespective of whether he owns the club or not, some lines are not for crossing. Mel Morris owns DCFC and has my backing but needs to acknowledge that error and any others that he has made. As for a new manager, I need to sleep on that one but DW is not inspiring me at this point in time.

My understanding of the situation is that Sam Rush wanted to keep McClaren when he decided that he wanted to stay at the Club, but Mel having decided on Paul Clement as the new manager, took the view that the

KingCharlieGeorge
08-02-2016, 09:50 PM

We have no choice but to accept his judgement. I want him to let manager's manage and not interfere.

vanderlaans_header
08-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Well observed AG. He certainly has put some big money in by most peoples standards.

It does seem that he has been acting in haste though, his original assurance that PC didn't need to get promotion this season. On reflection he didn't mean it. He said it but probably though promotion would be a bit of a breeze with the 'kid from madrid & a few million quid...'

Let

LankeyBill
08-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Yes, that's the one. And I think you will find that he's spent over £100 million in the last 18 months when you include the 'over inflated' price that he says he paid to buy the Club.

Don't disagree with any of the qualities that you quote Mel as having, but none of them mean that he possesses good judgement where football matters and football clubs are concerned, whic

AnagRam
08-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Actually Lanky, the OP was suggesting that we don't know all the facts (True) and in such circumstances we are better off trusting MM (Probably true). Your 'understanding of the situation' is arguably no better informed than most other people's i.e. we know little and it's largely guesswork.
Situations change, what was said eight or nine months ago is possibly no longer what is best for the club and there's certainly been enough moaning from fans in general and on this board in particular to make Mel realise something is wrong.
I care what happens at DCFC as I'm sure you do, but is it really likely that either of us care more than a lifelong fan who has put quite so much of his own money in?

RamBamFan
08-02-2016, 11:37 PM

Why do people care that he's local??? Am I the only one that doesn't give two s***s where the chairman is from? Of course he wants Derby to succeed, but every chairman does! A chairman should just be their to sign the cheques, but it's very clear to me that he's doing a hell of a lot more than that and that's not a good thing. I miss the yanks.

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Actually Lanky, the OP was suggesting that we don't know all the facts (True) and in such circumstances we are better off trusting MM (Probably true). Your 'understanding of the situation' is arguably no better informed than most other people's i.e. we know little and it's largely guesswork.
Situations change, what was said eight or nine months ago is possibly no longer what is best for the club and there's certainly been enough moaning from fans in general and on this board in particular to make Mel realise something is wrong.
I care what happens at DCFC as I'm sure you do, but is it really likely that either of us care more than a lifelong fan who has put quite so much of his own money in?

The original post and the point that I am making isn't about CARING, the original post is about and the point that I am making is about TRUSTING in Mel Morris's JUDGEMENT.

And a man who by his own admission paid 50% more for someth

wristslasher_909
09-02-2016, 06:56 AM
No doubt that a massive ******* has been dropped, but Morris is now acting quickly to sort it out. Not many clubs have 2 spells of relegation form (over 6 matches) in a promotion season. Morris appreciates how difficult it is to turn around a sinking ship and has been forced to take action.

Rattea
09-02-2016, 07:01 AM
A few of us on here have stated for years we didn't want the suga daddy type of ownership of the club. That's not having a go at Mel or what he's done or not supposed to have done. I understand a lot of his actions and if many of us were in his position would probably do the same to be honest.

However "with great power comes great responsibility". But the question is who of. The club, the manager, the players, the fans, the business? How can you keep all of them happy?

At the end of the day I still beleive Mels intentions are for the club. Like said above the business side he's prepared to throw into.

Let's face it Clough had nothing and to short circuit the situation was got rid of just as funds appeared and before Mel. Mcclaren inherited a rising star and shot it out the sky in trying to get there faster. Clement had money thrown at him to try and for us there even quicker as he had no real experience and that you could tell from just watching never mind what we don't k

AngryRam
09-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Hopefully he will learn lessons from this debacle and have less to say in public that will back him into a corner.
He is in a no win situation now..
I see Burke and Pea**** have gone as well now. Mind you Head of Tactics... Too many chiefs.
>:(

AnagRam
09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
My point is Lankey...and RBF...if you have an owner who is a fan you also, by definition, have an owner who has an emotional investment in the club as well as a financial one. I'm more likely to trust someone who fits those two criteria than the likes of the three amigos or Maxwell who were in it purely for financial/egotistical gain. The guy has made at least one big error in his early days as an owner, agreed...now give him a chance to put it right.

vanderlaans_header
09-02-2016, 09:07 AM
My point is Lankey...and RBF...if you have an owner who is a fan you also, by definition, have an owner who has an emotional investment in the club as well as a financial one. I'm more likely to trust someone who fits those two criteria than the likes of the three amigos or Maxwell who were in it purely for financial/egotistical gain. The guy has made at least one big error in his early days as an owner, agreed...now give him a chance to put it right.

As you say AR, give him chance to put it right, we have no choice. My concern is that despite his success in business MM, much to my surprise isn't coming across as being a competent head of a large organisation:

He appoints an inexperienced head coach in the summer stating that it's a long term appointment, that promotion isn't primary. Mel says he didn't want a 'been there and done it' type manager coming in and calling the shots.
By the close of the transfer window, the Rams h

Oldtimeram
09-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Put up and shut up!

AnagRam
09-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Respect your views as ever VdLH, not sure we have enough information to say he isn't acting as a 'competent' owner/head though or that DW is as 'inexperienced' as people suggest.
Wassall is infinitely more experienced in terms of the 'demands' that the English Championship provides and this may have been part of Clem's problem...time will tell.
Can't argue that PC's original appointment now, with the benefit of hindsight, appears flawed. I was in support at the time but have only been increasingly disappointed with the football on offer as the season has progressed. I'm not alone there...you've said much the same yourself ...and while, on the basis of what (very) little I know, I'd have given him longer, MM will have a complete picture of all that has gone on, including the possible loss of the dressing room, and has acted accordingly.

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 11:25 AM

As you say AR, give him chance to put it right, we have no choice. My concern is that despite his success in business MM, much to my surprise isn't coming across as being a competent head of a large organisation:

He appoints an inexperienced head coach in the summer stating that it's a long term appointment, that promotion isn't primary. Mel says he didn't want a 'been there and done it' type manager coming in and calling the sho

Rattea
09-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Is it panic or just cutting losses before to late.

Football has been boring, unimaginative and good players out of position and looking poor when there is no need.

Remember he sees what happens day to day not just 90 minutes each week.

Was it his call even?

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Football has been boring, unimaginative and good players out of position and looking poor when there is no need.

Was it his call even?

I presume that you are referring to Sam Rush?

I got the clear impression from what came out at the time that Sam Rush's thoughts and wishes were ignored where McClaren departure was concerned. My understanding was that Rush wanted McClaren to stay, but Mel Morris had already decided to move onto Clement, and despite McClaren's very public statements regarding finishing the job,move on to Clement is what the Club did.

But this one is harder to call - at the moment.

Lets wait to see what seeps out in the coming days.

swaledale
09-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Was it his call even?

I presume that you are referring to Sam Rush?

Your quite close to the truth there, and it is increasingly like Rush is being bypassed, so different from when GSE let the people they had appointed run the club, it all smacks of he who pays the piper calling the tune and unfortunately that rarely results in sound strategy and consequently often fails to deliver the intended results.

Yes I can understand why Mel who has invested millions in the club wants to be involved, but surely a wise person would seek the counsel of the experienced people he employs to run the club and not get directly involved himself.

AnagRam
09-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Can't agree that Mel has panicked or that Wassall's appointment is an 'absolute joke'.
Could be argued that Mel has acted decisively having taken notice of all the unrest. Could also be argued that Mel feels let down in one way or another...time will tell.
As regards Wassall's appointment...MM knows he can't have the manager of his choice right now. He's described DW as 'the best motivator' in the club and a 'safe pair of hands' to get us through to the end of the season. In so doing he downplays expectation and also endorses his choice of DW for the season. What's wrong with that?

vanderlaans_header
09-02-2016, 02:49 PM
I do see where you are coming from AR. Just seems very unusual for a person less experienced than the guy he is replacing to be given a job till the end of the season, when the team is 5 points of auto promotion and 5th in the table. It's like trying to reduce one risk by introducing another. Very unique management technique shown by Mel here. Still he's a multi millionaire and much to my own dismay, I am not....

RydeRam1
09-02-2016, 07:21 PM
LOL. we have no choice but to accept his judgement? I think he is very naive in his judgements thus far. Doing an interview and basically saying that promotion is no longer an issue this season in my mind is a naive statement. What will genuine fans think now they are being told the seasons over? Taking a gamble on an unproven manager? sacking him when we are 5th in the league? naivety at its best imo. MM is entitled to run the club how he sees fit. I for one do not have to accept his judgements.

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 07:30 PM
LOL. we have no choice but to accept his judgement? I think he is very naive in his judgements thus far. Doing an interview and basically saying that promotion is no longer an issue this season in my mind is a naive statement. What will genuine fans think now they are being told the seasons over? Taking a gamble on an unproven manager? sacking him when we are 5th in the league? naivety at its best imo. MM is entitled to run the club how he sees fit. I for one do not have to accept his judgements.

The Natalie Jackson interview this evening has called into question his judgement all the more.

It seems that the more that Mel says on the matter, the more you have to question his logic!

AnagRam
09-02-2016, 07:58 PM

The Natalie Jackson interview this evening has called into question his judgement all the more.

It seems that the more that Mel says on the matter, the more you have to question his logic![/quote]

Why and how? He's in an immensely difficult situation and I thought he handled the interview quite well. What, in particular did you object to?

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 08:31 PM

It seems that the more that Mel says on the matter, the more you have to question his logic![/quote]

Why and how? He's in an immensely difficult situation and I thought he handled the interview quite well. What, in particular did you object to?

swaledale
09-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Why and how? He's in an immensely difficult situation and I thought he handled the interview quite well. What, in particular did you object to?[/quote]

yamyamram
09-02-2016, 08:42 PM
I agree LankeyBill. I've said something similar on another thread.
The more MM says the more worried I become. He should maybe keep quiet for a while now & let the team do the talking. Tying himself in knots trying not to say the wrong thing.
If promotion isn't a priority then let's see some of the young players.
Calero, Sse****ambo , that German lad, Lowe, Hanson.
MM could've saved himself a fortune!!

AnagRam
09-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Not entirely of his 'own making' though is it Lanky?
Sure, Mel has made mistakes, he too is a novice as far as football ownership is concerned.
He isn't on his own though. Hard to see how MM is to blame for Martin and Johnson's loss of form and, arguably, effort. Equally, from what he said today, hard to see how he can be blamed for some of the 'ill-fitting' buys, the lack of a leader and the poor man management of certain players.
Let's not forget, however much certain players have let people down they've still picked up their £20-£40k each week. PC still seems to have walked away to a prestigious new job with a shed load of DCFC dosh and guess who's meeting the cost...our brand new scapegoat...Mel Morris.
Have to say, I trust him more than the other parties involved, bet he's still around in 5-10 years time for a kick off.

LankeyBill
09-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Sure, Mel has made mistakes, he too is a novice as far as football ownership is concerned.
He isn't on his own though. Hard to see how MM is to blame for Martin and Johnson's loss of form and, arguably, effort. Equally, from what he said today, hard to see how he can be blamed for some of the 'ill-fitting' buys, the lack of a leader and the poor man management of certain players.
Let's not forget, however much certain players have let people down they've still picked up their £20-£40k each week. PC still seems to have walked away to a prestigious new job with a shed load of DCFC dosh and guess who's meeting the cost...our brand new scapegoat...Mel Morris.

Have to say, I trust him more than the other parties involved, bet he's still around in 5-10 years time for a kick off.

He appointed the manager he sacked - HIS judgement.

He sanctioned buying all these overpriced players

swaledale
09-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Aren't you overlooking the fact that Mel is the one who brought Clement in? Who talked grandly about buil