PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham festival

ManxRam
13-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Yet again this evening I need something to occupy my mind and with just over four weeks to go I'm drawn to the Cheltenham Festival.

Every year since 1992 I've made the trip to the pinnacle of the jumps season and this time will be no different. It even drops so I can attend Derby v Forest at the end of the week.

Does anyone on this board get down for any days during festival week? Over the course of the week I see around twenty to thirty mates on different days, the majority of which are Rams fans.

It's one of the finest sporting spectacles in the calendar and be good to grab a Guinness with any of you lads if you are down.

Helloloves that does not include you as a non board member

RamBamFan
13-02-2016, 11:14 PM
I'm heading down for the Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time this year. Hopefully I'll have enough money left to get back home!

roger_ramjet
14-02-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm heading down for the Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time this year. Hopefully I'll have enough money left to get back home!

Based on your tips today Id advise you not to go

ManxRam
14-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Is anyone else going?

Satanic Ram
15-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Is anyone else going?

Would love to Manx, however I'm away visiting the dreaded in laws, if you're talking about the 11th 12th 13th 14th March??

Elite_Pie
15-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Cheltenham in March is the highlight of my year, it's the Champions League and the focal point of jump racing where the very best go head to head. The atmosphere is incredible, and it's something anyone with even a passing interest in NH racing should experience. I first went in 1981 and apart from the abandoned foot and mouth year have been every year since then. For the last 20 years I've run a coach trip on Champion Chase day, which in my opinion offers the best racing of the four days.

To the poster above, it takes place on the 15th - 18th March this year.

Oldtimeram
15-02-2016, 08:06 PM
I might put a bet on "Tell us More" in the Arkle Trophy. Probably owned by a Mr M Morris

Doubt i will put anything on "Sign of a victory" though, in the Champion Hurdle.

ManxRam
15-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Interesting comments chaps. Elite I prefer the Tuesday these days though Mullins has been dominating proceedings for the past few years. I'm on Yanworth in the Neptune on Weds at way bigger odds than it is now.

OTR ironically there is a trainer by the of Mr M. Morris.

Elite is right, it is the dogs **** of a week

stamfordram
15-02-2016, 08:33 PM
I will be there on the Tuesday - went to the Trials day a couple of weeks ago.

Don't know much about the horses but great day out

swaledale
15-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Ah lads your right the craic is magic, its like a piece of Ireland lands in england once a year!

Elite_Pie
15-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Interesting comments chaps. Elite I prefer the Tuesday these days though Mullins has been dominating proceedings for the past few years. I'm on Yanworth in the Neptune on Weds at way bigger odds than it is now.

Yanworth is my banker of the meeting at the moment, I missed the early value so will be looking for a decent price on the day. The Champion Chase is the race of the week for me, not only the last 3 winners in Sprinter Sacre, Sire De Grugy and Dodging Bullets but also the Irish hotpot Un De Sceaux.

ManxRam
15-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Only trading at Shaking Stevens at best now Elite but I genuinely believe if it was a Mullins horse it would be 1/2. Felix Yonger be a decent E/W in the Queen Mother

Oldtimeram
16-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Is the Queen Mother running? God that will be slow!

AdiSalisbury
16-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I used to work behind the bar at Wetherspoons in Cheltenham (Moon under Water pub), festival week was absolutely mental (pre-smoking ban) but great fun. Good night life there, so don't bet all your cash away!

ManxRam
16-02-2016, 05:29 PM
I used to stay central but have drifted out to a country pub in The Cotswolds where I can drink till all hours then only have their stairs to crawl up to my bed. Always stay in town for a couple of hours after racing though.