PDA

View Full Version : Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

MikeSB
06-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Yes or no?

I was going to say if we get relegated as seems likely but even if we don't and get lucky again with someone else having a really bad run allowing us to escape once again and so decided on the topic above.

I would say NO! OK it was the league leaders yesterday but two shots on goal in 90 odd mins of football tells me they have all lost the plot about what this game is about. Haber should never have been signed as a Striker that is clear and so we have had no strike force for most of the season and most of his loan signings have been diabolical at the expense of our own youngsters and anyway we were signing other clubs academy graduates as well...

However, I think the board will stick with him on the basis they thing L2 will be easier. Ask Tranmere????

gruff1
07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
YES.

But mainly because the question is dumbed down to a wingeing YES/NO poll.

Perhaps rephrasing the question to "Who should be our Manager next season?" would yield a more constructive set of answers.

I'm neither a Steve Davies-phile nor a Steve Davies-phobe; I'm neither an Academy-phile nor a Academy-phobe; I'm neither an Dario-phile nor a Dario-aphobe; I simply recognise pragmatically that we have an existing infrastructure, an existing board, an existing attitude, and whether we like it or not, whether it is in the long-term or short-term interest, or not, we have something already in place and even IF we have the funds, which we didn't, don't and in all likelihood won't in any time soon, we are not about to change this overnight.

With that in mind, who COULD manage our club next season, and out of those possibilities, who would we prefer and what would be the consequences of such your preferential candidate being appointed?

Realistically, even if someone with a 2

MikeSB
07-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Well, thanks for the reply....its gone from a 'whinge' to a 'waffle'....;)

Its quite interesting that over 100 views and just one reply and so no wonder we tolerate things at this club..I would say that SD would not have lasted this long at ANY other club in the world...But then we are little Crewe with little ambition, like stuffing 4 millions in the bank available for loans to other Directors while the team goes down and down and down and you say they are not mugs? Seems like some are and must be to allow that situation, never mind breaking up the club into bits and pieces to facilitate even more cash.

Another whinge sorry!

itwasin
07-03-2016, 11:36 AM
No one in there right mind would take on the Crewe Managers job trying to juggle with the Academy and the 1st team,when they asked D Platt he ran off to India out of the way quick sharp. As for the person that takes the job on will have to agree to play the kids or else DG will be watching him from the stands ready with the knives out,Murder on the Crewe Express.
As far as SD goes if Crewe fall into that bottome half of the 2nd Div he will get the sack ? Who says so G.Mcgarry he should know he said he will not get any more chances if he fails in the 2nd Div.

bigroof
07-03-2016, 12:27 PM
[quote="gruff1"]YES.

But mainly because the question is dumbed down to a wingeing YES/NO poll.

Perhaps rephrasing the question to "Who should be our Manager next season?" would yield a more constructive set of answers.

I'm neither a Steve Davies-phile nor a Steve Davies-phobe; I'm neither an Academy-phile nor a Academy-phobe; I'm neither an Dario-phile nor a Dario-aphobe; I simply recognise pragmatically that we have an existing infrastructure, an existing board, an existing attitude, and whether we like it or not, whether it is in the long-term or short-term interest, or not, we have something already in place and even IF we have the funds, which we didn't, don't and in all likelihood won't in any time soon, we are not about to change this overnight.

With that in mind, who COULD manage our club next season, and out of those possibilities, who would we prefer and what would be the consequences of such your preferential candidate being appointed?

AlexMad89
07-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

Crewe fan of 19 years here, used to post occasionally many years ago.

It would seem the board would continue to back Davis in L2, they all seem on the same page in terms of vision which is to retain league status and carry on with a Cat 2 academy. While I have backed Davis, I sit on the fence a little in that I feel longevity has brought and can still bring success but then I wonder would we be better with fresh ideas and perhaps some more tactical nouse. If the board has been considering Davis' position this season then they have missed a trick with Craig Hignett, who has always been an admirer of our academy and from his interviews states that he has a long term plan to develop young players for the club. He or Danny Murphy would be a good fit but wages would be a stumbling block especially with Murphy. I guess looking to promote from within as we so often do we have James Collins, Kenny Lunt and Lee Bell but then experience becomes a factor. Team wise I think we h

AlexLeicester
07-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Won't argue with any of that.
What little I have seen of Richards I have been reasonably impressed. Good skills in terms of positioning and can save a shot (minimum requirement). As with Ben, his distribution needs working on. All-in-all, perhaps Richards would work hard to get better if he had the No 1 dangled in front of him.

steelydon
07-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Just checked the team that SD inherited from Dario in 2011. It included Phillips, Toots, Davis, Dugdale, Bell, Miller, Max, Powell, Murphy, Westwood, Artell, Ajay and Byron Moore. What on earth were that lot doing near the bottom of League 2? Surely anyone with a passing knowledge of football could have shaken that lot up.
Having said that, SD was a revellation. Subs when they were called for, exchanging the right players. Innovative free kicks so different to Dario. And since then?? We've gone backwards. Subs far too late. Up and under free kicks, far too defensive. Some dreadful loan signings and purchases and several players released who were better than anyone we'd got.
Next season we need a change with new thinking.

MikeSB
07-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Derek, the EU referendum is dead easy....or should be!

Do I want us to be able to make our own laws or unelected Beaurocrats in Brussels?

Can we get rid of them at elections or not?

Can we control our own borders or not?

If people think none of that matters, they will vote to stay in, otherwise they will vote out like me! ;)

In terms of CAFC

Do we want a successful football club or just a run of the mill L2 club or even the Conference? What real difference is there in the bottom 3 leagues anyhow if teams like Eastleigh can play us off the park? I thought on Saturday that we were playing the top league team and we needed the points and yet it was a poor crowd and no atmosphere whatever and so what difference is struggling in L1 or L2 going to affect that?

I suppose most people in Crewe and the area couldn't care less and so the status quo will appeal to most fans as it will in the EU referendum....Its a real lack of ambition and fear of change in both case

Timmy58
07-03-2016, 08:11 PM
I don't think it is indicative of not caring to not necessarily want change. There is a grave danger of voting for change and then ruing the outcome of that change.

MikeSB
07-03-2016, 10:02 PM
I don't think it is indicative of not caring to not necessarily want change. There is a grave danger of voting for change and then ruing the outcome of that change.

It depends on what level of change we are asking though?

Let me just state three that would help the cause..

1. Downgrade the Academy to Cat3 that will free up much needed money for the first team without compromising the ethos of the club or imo the kids wanting to come here from the local area.

2. Get rid of the majority shareholder which seems on the cards and allow fans to buy shares in the club. And have a fan on the board so they know what's going on etc/

3. Reduce the ticket prices at the GRE and try and make that a full house every game. Halving the price and doubling the fans at neutral costs could at least be tried for a few games eg 10 to see..

We just get the impression that the board is not interested in change.

Timmy58
07-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Addressing your points in order
Downgrading the Academy would be a backward step and whilst I take your points about the running costs I am sure you will take my point about the level of wages we pay to the scholars who sign pro forms which in my view are realistic in terms od their age and their abilities at that stage.
Getting rid of the majority shareholder is not as easy at it sounds. I believe work is being done which you implied in your posting, to bring this about. As for having a fan on the board, I suspect that all currently on the board are fans but I guess you are suggesting Joe Bloggs invited to joint the board. I am not sure how that would come about because I don't think you could just have anyone there. And lets face it, we don't want some "anti Academy" cove on there do we?
Reducing prices in any part of the ground I don't believe is an option. Firstly halving the price is unlikely to double the attendance and secondly the club needs to be making money o

somersetcrewe
07-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes or no?

100% yes - but if we are found wanting by October/November time, a bit like DG in 2011, then say thanks but no thanks and move someone else in. And unless something dramatic changes, the next man off the rank will be Collins anyway. We all know that!

However, I think the board will stick with him on the basis they thing L2 will be easier. Ask Tranmere????

Why not ask Fleetwood or Shrewsbury who both breezed through it in recent years?
L2 will be no push-over but it will be easier - otherwise we may as well rename L1 as L2 and vice versa!

Alexman
09-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Seriously banging my head against a wall at the fans who want Davis in charge next season.

There must be something physiological going on with a chunk of our supporters who blindly support our failing manager and our failing club like there is nothing wrong. Maybe because of 2012 a chunk of our supporters are subconsciously programmed to like Davis and like everything about our club and not think for themselves. I dunno.

We've only won 1 game since late November which would see most managers sacked and yet there is just no viable opposition to Davis. We truly are a pathetic club and our demise warrants accelerating. There is no ambition throughout the whole of the club and that includes a sizeable chunk of our own support. Our club deserves nothing but to go down to the non league.

itwasin
09-03-2016, 10:43 AM
No use knocking if no one in.Lemmings come to mind.

Timmy58
09-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Myopic idiots have just come into my mind!

itwasin
09-03-2016, 12:26 PM
10% off today TIM at B&Q so you can get some more Gloss Paint. Try and get Waterproof as yours washes off to easy

OgerAlex
09-03-2016, 12:59 PM
In answer to the O/P question I cannot see how Davis can be in charge next season. I don't dislike the man. He has been hamstrung by the pathetic budget he has to work with, however some of our play over the past few years has been horrendous. There have been brief exceptions, but on the whole its been pretty poor stuff.
I think for his own sanity he'd be best of out of it. He looks a worn man now. Constant relegation battles have left their mark. Also, as the club are going down (bar a miracle) there needs a statement made to fans we mean business in getting back up - remaining with the statusquo will see crowds of 2500 next season.

Timmy58
09-03-2016, 01:25 PM
10% off today TIM at B&Q so you can get some more Gloss Paint. Try and get Waterproof as yours washes off to easy
Don't ever pursue a career in comedy. You will fail!

itwasin
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Article today asking why Steve McClaren keeps failing as a Manager,maybe he and SD should meet up and work it out,as one has loads of money and the other None. by the way did you hear the one about!

jamesdad
09-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Facts speak for themselves, not enough wins this season.Players not playing to there maximum and poor team section. Does not matter what we fans say nothing will change unless he people in the board room want it to change and they have there own agenda that we know nothing of.

PaulNevitt1981
10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
In the absence of an obvious successor at this time I would say Yes he probably should be allowed to take these players into the league below and see if they can develop there instead. It worked for Dario in the past and you can argue all day long that the players were better then. At the end of the day today's youngsters are getting the very best of training facilities and ought to be ready to play Professional football in the lowest league tier. If we manage to keep Inman and Haber at the club we have 2 footballers who will benefit greatly in the league below. The likes of Jones, Guthrie and Cooper can only get better. Its obvious we need to strengthen, especially in both full back positions. I've never been convinced by Turton at right back and Bakayogo has got a lot to prove before handing a contract. Also we need a player who will take up the goal scoring responsibility from the start of the season. Our recruitment needs to be shrewd and better than before.

I'm keeping an

Timmy58
10-03-2016, 11:01 PM
We are unlikely to keep either Inman or Haber. My guess is we will want Inman but won't be able to afford him and we won't want Haber but he will want to stay

jimmyboldon
11-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Not very often I disagree with you Timmy, but, I think we would want him ( Haber) to stay, and he will want away.

Timmy58
11-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour. It wouldn't matter if he had been scoring for 2 seasons. But he hasn't really. I may be wrong. It has been known. Once, I think it was ha ha.

somersetcrewe
12-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour.

I like Haber - and I'd keep him, despite all of his frailties.
He's the nearest thing we have to a proper target man and he does try to bring others into the game with his hold-up play. From what I have seen of him in L1, he would surely be an asset in L2.

Not resigned to L2 yet though - although, if we don't win today against a team who haven't won in 4 and, last 2 seasons aside, a place where we have had a great record in recent years, then I will be.

PaulNevitt1981
12-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Firstly, I hope we're not thinking Gillingham will role over today. Definitely not going to happen this season. If we did manage to win today, we are still miles behind. Our season has been defined by all the occasions when we have been ahead in a game and not managed to stay in front, simple as that. Perhaps in the past we have been so far ahead that we've managed to keep the teams at bay.

Secondly if we do lose Haber and Inman then who do we find to replace them? Losing a centre forward with power is hard to do at any level especially the fourth division. We could not afford to replace Inman and we won't attract a player with his talent at that level nowadays. so, why not spend any money wasted on recruiting new players on getting them two to sign a new one year deal?

AlexMad89
12-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour.

I like Haber - and I'd keep him, despite all of his frailties.
He's the nearest thing we have to a proper target man and he does try to bring others into the game with his hold-up play. From what I have seen of him in L1, he would surely be an asset in L2.

Not resigned to L2 yet though - although, if we don't win today against a team who haven't won in 4 and, last 2 seasons aside, a place where we have had a great record in recent years, then I will be.[/quote]

I like Haber too - but only when he plays in a 2. Without someone with him he becomes easily isolated and a disconsolate figure, but with a strike partner I think many fans underestimate his influence. He's not a heart-on-the-sleeve kind of player but he

gazan
12-03-2016, 06:41 PM
I don't foam at the mouth about Davis but I do wonder now whether there's anything more he can do for the club? There have been a few times when there has has cleaely been no plan B. Also, a large number of substitutions have been like-for-like rather than attempting to change approach. Today was a clear example of this. Selection was odd anyway. In recent games both Turton and Guthrie have had great games in their preferred positions BUT today they were put back in their non-preferred positions and we just let Gillingham have loads of space to attack us. We should keep Guthrie at centre back as one of three and Turton either central midfield in a line of 5 or as a deep-lying midfier behind a four.That would mean we could play cooper and Bakayogo wide. With turton lying deep, we could choose Bingham instead of Fox as he cab be positive in supporting the forwards. at the moment there is no way Davis will be sacked and even if he was
Anyway, nothing would change in terms of approach. De

MikeSB
12-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Is it really only ONE win in the last 16 matches?

Good God and we are debating whether SD should still be our manager NEXT season? He must know he is the luckiest manager ever after the last THREE seasons? Some managers get sacked after 6 games? And Steve has had over 100 and counting? Is that a strength or weakness of the club? Depends on your POV?

MikeSB
12-03-2016, 10:45 PM
In the likely event of us beginning next season in League 2, I personally think the manager at least deserves a crack in that division. Saying that, if we are in the bottom 6 and the team is not performing (lets not forget under a very different set of rules with regard to the loan market) with the blend of youngsters who will doubtless get their opportunities to shine in a lower league then maybe it will be time to promote Collins. Because, make no mistake, if Davis is relieved of his duties it will be Collins who is appointed. That is why he has been made number 2!

The same old pathetic excuse, give him 6 games, give him ten games etc etc...SD doesn't deserve ANY further employment at this club but no doubt you are right and the blind directors won't know whether we are still in L1 or not.

Timmy58
12-03-2016, 10:50 PM
I suspect you have one part of that response right Mike. The bit about me being right that is

TrinidadsNumberOne
12-03-2016, 11:54 PM
The answer is a resounding no and here's my case for sacking him.

We have won 1 game in our last 16 and 9 games in our last 56 in all competitions dating back to mid-February 2015. This is the worst run the club have been on for a considerable amount of time.

If we fail to win another game this season (incredibly likely) then we will equal the club record for fewest wins in all competitions all season (1956-57, even the awful 1981-82 side had 6 league wins and 1 cup win!)

Steve Davis' post-match interviews come a cross as bland, lacking in passion, desire and direction. He sounds like a man who genuinely has no idea how to turn us around. Granted his budget isn't great, but when he had bigger budgets in the past he wasted them on abject signings - West, Audel, Robertson, Molyneux and Oliver are fives which come to mind. Inman has never really justified the £100K transfer fee we paid for him and Mark Ellis was a waste of £80K when we decided to retain the injury prone duo

MikeSB
13-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Well, I can waffle and whinge all day but that last post by TrinidadsNumberOne is brilliant, articulate, factual and to the point and hope the naysayers here will recognise its value and thanksTNO for all those facts and looking at those first ten games of the last 4 seasons is truly amazing and Steve couldn't argue had he been sacked after the first one but deserved another chance based on his previous efforts and results. Would any serious Employer not have sacked such a poor performer during that period?

Mojofilter
13-03-2016, 07:39 AM
For me it's a no.
It's fair to say that he's not had the resources to really prosper but he's not done nearly enough with the resources that he has.

Dropping Ng yesterday summed it up for me - he just doesn't play the kids enough to let them develop - it's little wonder that a £1m player hasn't broken though during his regime.

I can cope with going where our kids take us, even if that is down but I can't tolerate going where our mediocre journey men like Haber, Fox, Nugent, Hitchcock take us (unless it's up - which t never is).

all
13-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Surely the question answers itself, with nine victories in 56 or less than one in seven he should have resigned months ago to give someone the chance to steer us clear of relegation.

paddockrefugee
13-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Should all the talk be only about the present manager? Absolutely anyone at the helm would surely be presented with the Gradi Bible on how to operate tactically? Holland/Thord/Davis - all the same defensive frailties and lack of positive mental awareness. Coincidence?

TrinidadsNumberOne
13-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Whilst I agree with this, the huge difference is we actually attacked under Dario. I've never seen a Crewe side play as negative as we do under Davis. Completely against the club's attacking ethos and I don't know why fans haven't already realise this.

We will get no money for any of our defenders, Ray and Davis are injury prone and along with Turton will never play for a club at a higher level and this is more or less Nugent and Guthrie's level. We may as well play attacking football in the hope that we can develop a 15-20 goal forward and a midfielder/forward who can make a sufficient impact on the assists chart. It would be much better than the negative, static dross we've been served under Davis for a long time and could help alleviate our debts and make the Academy more cost effective. The more ambition you show on the pitch, the more likely our players will flourish into potential assets.

This isn't happening under Steve Davis and, as a result, there is no valid grounds for

gazan
14-03-2016, 12:21 PM
As I said, who would take his place? It can only be JC but would the ethos change? I went to see the Cheshire Senior Cup at Stockport. It was very depressing as we had a lot of possession but it was all in front of our own box.What was worse was that 3 of Stockport's goals came from defensive (inc midfield) errors. It reminded me of the 1st team at the start of the season (and many other times)

TrinidadsNumberOne
14-03-2016, 04:06 PM
James Collins' style of play is pretty much the same as Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool. The aim isn't to score goals, it's to retain the most possession in a match and starve the opponent of the football. Only Pep Guardiola has mastered this technique successfully, it's painful to watch and it is incompatible with lower leagues due to the players lacking the awareness, intelligence and technical ability.

My theory though is that Dario doesn't want to lose another top coach (his opinion) like we did with Holland. I'm confident Collins will never be permanent manager of this club, but maybe it's the lack of succession plan that is keeping Davis in charge.

As I said, Artell, give him the job like Yeovil have given one of their ex pros Darren Way the managers position. They seem to be benefitting from it. Was a privilege to see him lead the club each week and I'd love for him to do it from the touchlines one day.

MikeSB
14-03-2016, 08:30 PM
James Collins' style of play is pretty much the same as Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool. The aim isn't to score goals, it's to retain the most possession in a match and starve the opponent of the football. Only Pep Guardiola has mastered this technique successfully, it's painful to watch and it is incompatible with lower leagues due to the players lacking the awareness, intelligence and technical ability.

My theory though is that Dario doesn't want to lose another top coach (his opinion) like we did with Holland. I'm confident Collins will never be permanent manager of this club, but maybe it's the lack of succession plan that is keeping Davis in charge.

As I said, Artell, give him the job like Yeovil have given one of their ex pros Darren Way the managers position. They seem to be benefitting from it. Was a privilege to see him lead the club each week and I'd love for him to do it from the touchlines one day.

I couldn'

Alex_Crew
15-03-2016, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't be excited or hopeful of a change in performance levels if Collins took over, which is a bit harsh seeing as I don't know enough about his ethos to back that up. However, Artell is a good shout, and one Neil Lennon is now available......given the financial constraints he's just endured at Bolton, our meager offerings would be a breeze!

Think someone already mention Higgy on here...he's started off his reign on fire at Hartlepool. Whatever happens, I believe that Steve Davis' time has run out at Crewe Alexandra.

somersetcrewe
15-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Think someone already mention Higgy on here...he's started off his reign on fire at Hartlepool.

On fire???
3 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats.
Good enough to stay up but not sure that's on fire .....!?

TrinidadsNumberOne
15-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Compared to 1 win in 16 Steve Davis it is!

Alexman
19-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Todays result is for the fans who think Davis should stay as manager, the fans who are blinded by their love for the club that they eat up the ****e spouted by the club, manager and board, and the fans who believe that the (£1million loss) academy is sustainable. Start thinking for yourselves Crewe fans. Is this acceptable?

Davis Out.

all
19-03-2016, 09:10 PM
What is it now ..nine wins in fifty eight .Nobody in their right mind could find that acceptable.
If Davis is still in post in June I will not be renewing a season ticket that I have held since they were first introduced many years ago
Personally I would not let the man sell programmes .

MikeSB
19-03-2016, 09:53 PM
I hate to think our club has become a laughing stock but that is how it looks when the board have not lifted one finger to halt this decline as any other club would have done long before now. As said above we start another season knowing the club has to put yet another 750 grand into a training facility and when I just read some comments by the under 21's manager here, I thought not another sodding manager! Two on the touchline, Neil Baker, Dario and now another one and probably he has an assistant and more managers for the under 12's and under 8's etc etc...

I think they have really lost the plot when we have 80 odd employees around the football facility and yet can't afford ONE decent striker or midfield! And no doubt the playing budget will suffer once again and so who knows how many ST holders will say **** it, I've had enough?

The board knew ALL this last August and before and still sat on their past glories. One million loss last year, another one next year and in t

TrinidadsNumberOne
20-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Totally agree with this sentiment and I believe today's result means there is no case to defend Steve Davis' management any longer.

Main Stand turning on him is a sign his days are numbered, but to lose to a shocking side who had 10 men for most the game, with the same mentally weak suspects gifting Blackpool a winner after we fortuitously equalised, before the mentally weak Inman (harsh but true) skies a penalty. We're a tragi-comey of a football club.

Disgusted that of all people Harry Davis shouted expletives at fans questioning his performance, his overly generous wages and the fact his services have been retained in the face of not being very good and constantly being injured are one thing I detest about this club. The arrogant manager also claiming sections of support were calling for his head when it was the majority of the crowd today angers me too.

Honestly would love a mass clear out of this squad and staff. If it was up to me I'd only retain Garratt (going anyway)

Nexus_6_Replicant
20-03-2016, 09:56 AM
TNO is pretty disgusted then.

I don't believe there are many SD IN "happy clappers" out there (but they're entitled to their opinion). As I've stated before, there was one stage in his career here where he was doing a great job, but that was a long time ago now. He must go, a fresh start is needed to bring back any hope of ditching the losing mentality that's taken hold at the club.

jimmyboldon
20-03-2016, 01:41 PM
After being a 'let's give him another chance' supporter all season, yesterday's performance changed my mind completely.
I do believe that we have got some good players, who with different management would not have got us into this position.
Kirk and Ainley looked OK the me, and bode well for the future along with Jones (who I think needs a rest) and other academy graduates.
So, for me it's an OUT vote. Replacement? Well that's part of the reason for not wanting change until now, because I have no instant answer.
As another point, I do not subscribe to the clichéd 'they wanted it more than us' point of view.
I do not believe any professional footballer deliberately puts in a lack lustre, disinterested - or however you wish to call it, performance. Perhaps I'm naive?

CreweC
20-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I also believed in keeping Davis in charge for 2 reasons really. The first being that the club's ambition clearly means JC will take the reigns, this worries me tremendously. Secondly is how well he did when he first started here, made early subs, had breakfast club, had yoga sessions and army camps, had inventive set pieces. I wondered and still do: what changed? Davis looks totally devoid of ideas. The team looked beaten before a ball was kicked. Defensively the errors keep coming. Upfront the ideas are no existent as is the movement. I hope the board show some ambition and look to bring in either an experienced manager or an up and coming one from a team on the rise. Trouble is like I said earlier it'll end up Collins

Nexus_6_Replicant
20-03-2016, 04:33 PM
CreweC, seconded. Davis did well at first here, he was always positive and decisive. What seems to have changed is the latter. I can only surmise that the tightening of the clubs purse strings have made it more and more difficult for him and he's lost that decisiveness as a result.

I too do not want to see JC in charge. I've no doubt he's a quality coach, but I do doubt he has the ability to project his authority at first team level. I don't think it would be fair on him either to take the reins with regard to the current atmosphere around the club.

gazan
20-03-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not a screamer and shouter for the head of Steve Davis but I feel that it must be in his interest to leave the job. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any difference. Having seen the future at Stockport in the Senior Cup I am extremely worried that we are going to continue with this slow thinking, non-moving, slow passing approach for some time. What confirmed it for me was seeing Kirk on the pitch, knowing he likes to take people on, but seeing him holding the ball up and passing square most of the time.
I probably will get a new season ticket but I couldn't even get angry at the performance yesterday.

Alexman
21-03-2016, 02:28 PM
The worse thing is the fact the club has shown no fight or interest in trying to stay up. If the club had sacked Steve Davis at a reasonable time, tried to buy some players that could help, get in a manager to try a get us up the table and we still fell short, id still be going home and away, AND I wouldn't mind if we went down, as long as the whole club showed some fight. You can forgive a lack of quality, but you can't forgive this.

If the club tried Id back the team every week, but Steve is still in charge with a 15% win ratio, something like 15 wins in the last 70 games, no action from the board, no signings, no club statements and they still charge us £22 a week to get in and still expect us to buy a season ticket next season. I feel mugged off from my money to support this club and thats why im not going anymore intill something changes.

gazan
21-03-2016, 05:44 PM
There is a problem with the previous post. Please, don't take this personally, Alexman, it's the opinion i'm disgreeing with so it's nothing personal. The problem is that this idea belongs to the 'wave a magic wand' school of thought. There is an assumption that making this change is all it needs. However, it should surely be taken into consideration who will succeed. If we don't know the answer to that, then we cannot make bold statements about the outcome.
Having said that, I suspect that we may get James Collins instead. Are you sure that he will be an improvement. I remember when Steve Holland took over. We all couldn't wait because we were convinced that he could only be better than what we had. Of course, as we know now, how wrong could we be?
There is no quick fix- we cannot press 'SEND' and watch what happens. Depressing, isn't it? C'est La Vie!
Not that I'm saying you have to lump it but we need to think about approaches to the problem and see if we can influence things.
O

Timmy58
21-03-2016, 07:19 PM
It is fairly clear in my view that the next manager will be Collins. And that is one reason why I have not been in favour of a change. Because ,in basic terms, it wouldn't be a change. I have nothing against Collins or Davis. Nor indeed, the board. However, whoever is in charge is going to have to manage on a very stringent budget. I read one post suggesting that we should have sacked Steve Davis and got someone on and a few new signings and the club would have been seen to be doing something positive to arrest the slide. The reason we are where we are is because there is no money. I very much doubt that anyone on here thinks the manager is happy that the team is failing any more than we are. A change of manager would not have brought in any new players. If things behind the scenes are being resolved we may be on a more sound footing but there is not going to be money available to pay the sort of wages Grant was on or that Ajose or Ness would have come here for. So, the old Dario ad

itwasin
21-03-2016, 07:57 PM
No money you can not be serious! There is loads a money its just spent in the wrong place,guess where that is.

Timmy58
21-03-2016, 08:08 PM
A matter of opinion I would suggest

bigroof
21-03-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm not a screamer and shouter for the head of Steve Davis but I feel that it must be in his interest to leave the job. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any difference. Having seen the future at Stockport in the Senior Cup I am extremely worried that we are going to continue with this slow thinking, non-moving, slow passing approach for some time. What confirmed it for me was seeing Kirk on the pitch, knowing he likes to take people on, but seeing him holding the ball up and passing square most of the time.
I probably will get a new season ticket but I couldn't even get angry at the performance yesterday.

Just wondering, gazan, was the Stockport game your only viewing of the reserves/under 21s this season? If so, that's unfortunate; they've steadily improved over the season, and I've been very impressed with Alex Morris's interviews too. It's his specific brief to help them realise what they need to do to find their way onto

Timmy58
21-03-2016, 10:08 PM
I have to say Bigroof, that is an excellent comment. Nowt more to be said. Several nails struck firmly on the head!

jimmyboldon
21-03-2016, 11:06 PM
As I said....I think.
Same(ish) players, I.e kirk, Jones,ainley, Saunders, Cooper, Ray, Guthrie, Bailie, Davis, plus any others who stay. I include Fox, and Haber who I think would be totally different without Davis as manager. But, same budget, different/ better, management/tactics/motivation and we would not be in this position.
Think I'm saying, same squad, different manager, very different league position.

MikeSB
22-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Well, as I said...

Too many managers and not enough quality in the first team and if that is the way it is, so the loss of even more fans will be the way it is too..Davis, Collins, Baker, Gradi, managers for the under 21, under 18, under 15, under 12 and under 8's?

Its a sodding joke imo!

How long is it before this club depends not on the academy but what the first team results are????

No wonder its costing a million to employ all these non footballers??

Its what's called losing the plot!

Never mind, we and Colchester can take pride in being the only clubs in Div 4 with a Cat2 level training camp..So who cares whether the kids play against the PL kids anyway...Its kids against kids and when they step up to the first team, its rabbits in the headlights and get pushed over by seasoned Pro's and even more so in Div4...

I wonder whether the board actually cares for the fans at this club? No I don't wonder, its obvious they don't, otherwise Davis would have bee

Crewebeedoo
22-03-2016, 02:00 PM
NO he should definitely not be our manager next season. We have been in freefall for the past 3 seasons and with the current set up it is only going to go one way. How long do we give him in League 2 next season before something is done - 10 games, 20? Any other club would have sacked the clueless inept arrogant Davis long ago and that is how little us fans matter. To see Davis and his partner in crime Collins together on the touchline is a complete joke, writing God knows what in that notebook. There's only 1 thing I would write in there - "Must do better. Needs to go NOW"! We have become a laughing stock. Davis has lost support from the main stand and he now can't bear to even look up as he walks from the pitch after yet another defeat. "The players aren't learning from their mistakes!" he wails. He's had all season to sort out this recurring problem and failed. Hate to mention the Vale but Rob Page apologised to their fans for Saturday's unacceptable poor performance against Burt

lyndongrange
22-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Can none of us see the parallels between the current managers rhetoric plus that of Holland and no doubt that of Collins in the future?
Everything said or done at Gresty Road comes from one person's personal handbook on how to operate a football club.

bigroof
22-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Can none of us see the parallels between the current managers rhetoric plus that of Holland and no doubt that of Collins in the future?
Everything said or done at Gresty Road comes from one person's personal handbook on how to operate a football club.

So if you're correct, and if that one person - Dario obviously - were to walk away from the club, how would you see the future?

Mojofilter
22-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Why does everyone seem to have such a massive downer on Jamie Collins? Have I missed something?

Timmy58
22-03-2016, 07:55 PM
It would seem the club didn't want Collins to go the same way as Critchley which is why he was appointed as assistant. Which would suggest that the next manager is likely to be Collins.

lyndongrange
22-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Don't think anyone would advocate the Academy leaders departure? More that our clubs future is possibly at stake and a strategy is required that takes into account a more varied perspective on the business plan.

Mojofilter
22-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I know that, but everybody seems very sure that he'd be a terrible choice for out next manager.
Just wondering what that's based on?

somersetcrewe
22-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Interesting to see the regular Davisites have gone quiet tonight, perhaps they have finally woken up, quit the happy clapping and have smelt the coffee .......

With respect, no different to the Davis dissenters going quiet on here (and on P&G!) after Sheffield Utd, Rochdale, and even our recent run of draws. Not a peep out of them then.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I’d have a lot more respect for the “Davis Out” brigade if they sang the same tune after a decent result. You can’t tell me that if you feel that strongly about the manager that after a match that goes our way, they suddenly think “oh ok, maybe we should keep him then!” Or do you think you’d sound foolish to call for a man’s head after he guided them to a victory? Either you want him out or you don’t ....??!!!

We all know how this club is run. It’s been pretty much the same for the last 30 years so why the surprise? We get a good player, a

Timmy58
22-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Somerset, the voice of common sense. Even in these dark times I would prefer to be in our situation as a club then many others. And I echo your sentiments re Brussels and a sense of perspective. Relegation to League 2 is nothing compared to that. In fact compared to a lot of things!

bigroof
22-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't think anyone would advocate the Academy leaders departure? More that our clubs future is possibly at stake and a strategy is required that takes into account a more varied perspective on the business plan.

Ok, but what form might that take? There have been endless arguments pro and against Category Two, all well aired. Is there a halfway house between the two? I doubt it. Will the board become more pro-active when the two directors have 'realised their assets'? Would there be more money in support of the first team? What other perspective is there? John Bowler and Charles Grant, the only board members other than Dario, who said a word at the recent Forum, indicated that they've been looking at all possibilities. Financially, these guys aren't mugs.

MarkValiant
22-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Please keep Davis. He's doing a marvellous job.

TrinidadsNumberOne
23-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Obviously with Somerset being an exile he is sheltered from the drab and dross experienced weekly by those who are local. We are well and truly a laughing stock and how anyone can deny that is absurd. Who keeps a manager with 9 wins in his last 57 games? Football is a results business and any succession plan is secondary to results. Just because we have a fancy Academy and a dubious succession plan doesn't mean we'll be keeping our football league status long term. Results dictate that more than anything.

Now I'm not calling for any scrappings of the Academy. But all I want is more of an emphasis on results. Results dictate futures of football clubs moreso than Academies. We have won 9 of our last 57 matches in all competitions. That's a 15% win ratio. If you were set targets at work and only met 15% of them, you would be sacked without question. Steve Davis mustn't be in charge. James Collins won't be manager of this football club either unless it's a caretaker role, Dario doesn't

Crewe99
23-03-2016, 11:34 AM
SD obviously keeps his job because he doesn't make demands on the Board and just accepts the ****e hand he has to play with.
The Blackpool game reminded so much of the Bradford game at the end of last season. We were in a position to secure ***** points for our safety but put up no fight. Last year we were extremely lucky that someone else did us a favour and we stayed up when we weren't really good enough, this time it doesn't look like there will be four teams who are worse than us.
After the past 3 seasons, we really need to start again in following the inevitable relegation but there will also be calls for SD to be given a chance to 'rectify his mistakes'. My view is to look for another manager from outside of the club but this time pick one who has a track record of utilising the clubs young players.

bigroof
23-03-2016, 12:47 PM
[quote="TrinidadsNumberOne"]Obviously with Somerset being an exile he is sheltered from the drab and dross experienced weekly by those who are local. We are well and truly a laughing stock and how anyone can deny that is absurd. Who keeps a manager with 9 wins in his last 57 games? Football is a results business and any succession plan is secondary to results. Just because we have a fancy Academy and a dubious succession plan doesn't mean we'll be keeping our football league status long term. Results dictate that more than anything.

Now I'm not calling for any scrappings of the Academy. But all I want is more of an emphasis on results. Results dictate futures of football clubs moreso than Academies. We have won 9 of our last 57 matches in all competitions. That's a 15% win ratio. If you were set targets at work and only met 15% of them, you would be sacked without question. Steve Davis mustn't be in charge. James Collins won't be manager of this football clu

TrinidadsNumberOne
23-03-2016, 07:39 PM
I accept that change is a gamble but it is imperative that we change the culture of the club. It has been three years of consistent defeats coupled with a lack of effort and enthusiasm. I don't think Steve Davis can get us out of this mess, so we have to pursue a viable alternative.

Even in his early days, Steve was blessed with talent littered all around the squad. To his credit, he got them fit, he believed in them and they delivered the goods. However, hindsight suggests maybe Davis' tactics were heavily reliant on individual brilliance? Or maybe Steve has lost the enthusiasm and is solely in the job because he knows he's £90,000 richer if the board wish to relieve him of his duties?

What is proven is that Steve Davis cannot build a balanced team. This team lacks cohesion, cutting edge, confidence, fluidity and an ability to play the attacking football which was our ethos for many years. Surely it's not hard to coach a side to play attacking football? The negativity has been

Alexman
24-03-2016, 06:32 AM
This club isn't any more complex than any other club, the simple fundamentals work the same as any other. You keep a failing manager, you lose money and you lose crowds whilst making thousands of supporters unhappy. All other clubs would sack a failing manager in the hope that the next manager will do better and keep the crowds at a sustainable level and to push to the club as high as possible. If this fails, you repeat in till a working fit is suitable. It's not rocket science, its not even tricky to wrap your head around. This is why EVERY other club does this.

Why we can't simply do this at Crewe just proves how delusional our club is from top to bottom. We pride ourselves on this academy and we pride ourselves on this being a sustainable way to run a football club.
The simple fact of the matter is we are not a sustainable club, what we are is a phenomenon. We are the only club that runs an academy solely on the purpose of selling players to fund the same academy in the first

alexthe great
24-03-2016, 09:39 AM
That pretty well sums up my feelings %100 Alexman,after supporting the team for 60 years i can see no point in renewing my season ticket because of this philosophy that has developed.The player that has been signed this week is already being talked about in ''How much he could be worth'' terms. With regards to the manager he should have been replaced ten months ago.

Timmy58
24-03-2016, 10:26 AM
The club will not survive if it doesn't operate in the way that it has for the last 30 years. The success of the Academy is dependant on the talent coming through and by it's very nature is going to have peaks and troughs. There are several players who will get their chances over the next 12-18 months and if they turn out to be as good as has been suggested they will move on. That's the way the game operates and that is the way we operate. The lad that has signed this week would not do so if he was not going to get the opportunity to develop and move up in the game. It is unrealistic, particularly in this day and age and where the game is at now to expect players to stay at Crewe and "help us up the leagues" . Since we were in the Championship the game has changed beyond all recognition because of the ridiculous amounts of money being paid out in transfer fees (£49 million for Sterling for example) and wages and the only way the Alex can compete with that is if some wealthy benefactor

MikeSB
24-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Please PLEASE, re read Alexman and Trinidad's posts again and again all those that think we are going in the right direction. Both posters are articulate, accurate and factual and get right to the point unlike me who goes into rant mode. Out of frustration that just because things worked at one time, that has to be the ONLY way forward. We have a succession plan for the manager like some ancient dynasty and yet it was a disaster in Steve Holland. And yet they want the very same plan still for Collins et al? Thordasson was sacked and yet SD results are far worse. Some fans have been lured into the clubs spin that we would no longer be a league club without the academy AND even a Cat2 academy now. That is NOT true because most of the L1 and L2 don't have any size of academy like we do other than Colchester and one other and yet they don't moan the whole time they are on the verge of disaster or non league. Yes, some clubs do go into non league and some bounce back and some don'

bigroof
24-03-2016, 12:08 PM

This club is going down to the non league unless there is HUGE change. If we are going to keep a Cat 2 Academy, we need a manager who knows what he's doing, we need to change our philosophy from only using the Academy to Fund the Academy/Club to using the academy to get up the tables and produce a club we can be proud to support. IF this is not possible due to the high costs/low crowds we get then we need to rethink the clubs future in regards to the academy and what direction the club wants to go in. Now im sure the people running our club are well aware of this, im just not sure they know what to do about it. ....

Alexman - do you know what to do about it? It's easier said than done to find the right man to manage the emergence of our Academy players. Perhaps they could try, with a leap of faith; that would be fair enough because of Davis's poor results. There is no 'halfway house' between Categories Two & Three.

TrinidadsNumberOne
24-03-2016, 12:39 PM
I think those who genuinely believe we will be well clear of relegation in League Two are going to be in for a nasty shock. Like at Tranmere and Stockport, a losing culture has set in here. If you make no attempt to change that culture, confidence will decrease and we'll only descend to lower depths.

Tranmere went down from League One, got rid of the man who scored literally half their goals in Ryan Lowe, didn't replace him and were deservedly relegated after Micky Adams brought in a whole new squad which unsettled the present players. We cannot score goals in abundance for toffee and we're going to be losing our top scoring attacking players in Inman and Haber by the Summer whilst retaining our leaky defence featuring the overpaid and crocked Davis, incompetent Ray, inconsistent yet talented Nugent who needs to sort out his mental approach and the very under-appreciated Jon Guthrie who can't do it all on his own.

If you don't have goals and you concede tons, you will struggle.

MikeSB
24-03-2016, 02:19 PM
No half way house between Cat2 and Cat3 Derek?

Dario did it all BEFORE the PL dreamt up these mass employment schemes for non footballers. The TUC would be very proud of taking also rans off the dole that would find it difficult to get a job in B&Q!

Vale decided they don't even want any academy and why would they, when they can sign our players and others in fact just like most other clubs do...You may want to revisit just how many academies produce players good enough for their first teams? With respect you watch too many youth games as do the coaches like Dario and can't see there is another world out there of hundreds and hundreds of late ****s and mature footballers who would love to play league football...You want evidence? Ryan Lowe who is what aged 38 who stood out in the short time he was here and made the exact point Trinidad does...we are used to losing and heads drop and have no motivation and it takes Lowe to recognise that and we have a Chairman and board who

MikeSB
24-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I suspect a lot of that 26 million transfer income went in others pockets and not the academy and maybe that is the real reason they persist with it? How come the accounts don't show the REAL profit and loss account? How much is in cash right now could answer that very question?

Nexus_6_Replicant
24-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Like at Tranmere and Stockport, a losing culture has set in here. If you make no attempt to change that culture, confidence will decrease and we'll only descend to lower depths.

But they DID "change" their Manager, players etc. TNO/SM? An odd example then of what can go wrong if you don't change your Manager...

I think like bigroof wrote earlier, most supporters are as frustrated as you. But there are few certainties in what you write, no guaranteed solutions.

A big problem I have during poor times for our football club, like we're going through now, is the amount of revisionism that goes on, how opinion somehow morphs into fact etc. TNO stated on a previous post, for example, that Davis is the most negative Manager he's ever seen. But who believes he'd have thought that after the two Wembley wins?

Davis, so the revisionists propose, was only ever successful at the outset because he had Powell, Westwood and Murphy at his disposal. Do we overlook the fact

bigroof
24-03-2016, 03:25 PM
[quote="MikeSB"]No half way house between Cat2 and Cat3 Derek?

Dario did it all BEFORE the PL dreamt up these mass employment schemes for non footballers. The TUC would be very proud of taking also rans off the dole that would find it difficult to get a job in B&Q!

Vale decided they don't even want any academy and why would they, when they can sign our players and others in fact just like most other clubs do...You may want to revisit just how many academies produce players good enough for their first teams? With respect you watch too many youth games as do the coaches like Dario and can't see there is another world out there of hundreds and hundreds of late ****s and mature footballers who would love to play league football...You want evidence? Ryan Lowe who is what aged 38 who stood out in the short time he was here and made the exact point Trinidad does...we are used to losing and heads drop and have no motivation and it takes Lowe to recognise t

Alexman
24-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Now don't get me wrong what Dario, Bowler and others have achieved with this football club should never be undermined. What they have done is turned a club from the depths of Div 4 with less than 2k crowds, to a League 1 outfit with a Category 2 academy with Crowds of minimum of 3.5k. The fact that we are debating a future of this club the way we are is all in credit to what they have done. However this club in new world isn't working any more and we as a club need to move forward.

Do I know what to do about it? Of course I don't. I've never managed a football club. I have nothing but respect for the people that do run our club despite questioning the way they are currently running it, and we all should do too.

But surely changing the manager has to be step 1 on the agenda. People have questioned my posts more than once about "quick fix" mentality and "it's easier said than done". To me changing a manager isn't as much of a big deal as some people are making out. Many clubs ch

Freddie Creweger
24-03-2016, 05:00 PM
We were in a downward spiral initially under Dario and then Thord... Holland and unfortunately Dario again. (At least he left us with a great legacy) The cycle was only broken when SD took the rains. Why!! I don't know, possibly because the young players at the time, who were obviously good, came of age and responded to him. Who can honestly say that the current stock of players ( incl. academy) and loanees are of the same ilk. They are POOR, as a consequence we are on a downward spiral again, exacerbated by the successive cost cutbacks. Who is to blame!!! SD for his management, obviously, he signed and released the playing staff. If he was ham strung by the financial position he should have been more vocal. Secondly the Board; which dingbat said they knew what they are doing??? If the best we can now achieve in financial recompense for any academy ''starlets'' is a season in the first team and a few hundred grand. Look at the playing surface, a disgrace because of the lack of for-si

alexsi
24-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Really good post's by Alexman and Trinidad. I rarely post but when I have the same posters on this forum knock back any kind of dissent towards anything Crewe.
I have called for Davis's sacking for the past 3 season's. His tactics are ancient, his unwillingness to make subs annoying, signing's terrible, pre-season preparation a disgrace, insistence on loan signing's boring, interview pre match and post match predictable and the fact he never takes the blame for any of the above shocking.
Since the Cornwall affair he has lost the plot.
As the above guys have said it's a results business. Thanks Steve for JPT and promotion but like with Dario we are back where you found us.
I can accept Relegation but it's the fact we have made no effort to beat the drop that has really annoyed me this time.
Why should we pay hard earned money on a club that isn't prepared to give anything back. Football is all about ambition. Be the best you can but Crewe's motto is we will go where our player's ta

MikeSB
24-03-2016, 09:42 PM
[quote="bigroof"]No half way house between Cat2 and Cat3 Derek?

Vale decided they don't even want any academy and why would they, when they can sign our players and others in fact just like most other clubs do...You may want to revisit just how many academies produce players good enough for their first teams? With respect you watch too many youth games as do the coaches like Dario and can't see there is another world out there of hundreds and hundreds of late ****s and mature footballers who would love to play league football...You want evidence? Ryan Lowe who is what aged 38 who stood out in the short time he was here and made the exact point Trinidad does...we are used to losing and heads drop and have no m

lyndongrange
24-03-2016, 10:16 PM
He didn't land in England till 10 years ago!

somersetcrewe
25-03-2016, 01:51 PM
..... and that was the point Garry Player always used to make about coaches....IE if when one played golf better than he, then he would take notice! He had a point!

You always seem to forget, Mike, there are always 2 sides to every story - so choose your examples carefully!! ;)
David Leadbitter hardly ripped up any trees in professional golf as a player (indeed, did he *ever* play?), but he TOTALLY transformed the fortunes of a certain Nick Faldo making him (arguably) the most successful golfer this country has ever produced.
Now how did he do that?

Great thread by the way! ;)

somersetcrewe
25-03-2016, 02:18 PM
This club isn't any more complex than any other club, the simple fundamentals work the same as any other. You keep a failing manager, you lose money and you lose crowds whilst making thousands of supporters unhappy. All other clubs would sack a failing manager in the hope that the next manager will do better and keep the crowds at a sustainable level and to push to the club as high as possible. If this fails, you repeat in till a working fit is suitable. It's not rocket science, its not even tricky to wrap your head around. This is why EVERY other club does this.

Like Notts County you mean? Sacking managers after 70 days?? Do you really want us to stoop to that level??

The simple fact of the matter is we are not a sustainable club

(This had better be good)
Why???

[quote="Alexman"]Onto Davis, he did get us promoted in 2012, but he had

Alexman
26-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Like Notts County you mean? Sacking managers after 70 days?? Do you really want us to stoop to that level??

No not just like Notts County, I mean like every club in the world. (they are all wrong i take it?)

(This had better be good)
Why???

Because we have to sell a player every couple of year to sustain the club, despite us having a ****e budget for the first team. We lost over a million pounds this season. We own an academy to fund the academy not the club.

Bloody hell, not that old chestnut again. Are we never allowed to do well at this club?
The moment we do, it’s because everyone else is ****!!!
Jeez!!! Give me strength!!

Because Davis isnt ****?

Damned right too. That same squad of talented players were languishing in 18th in L2 before he took the reins. If you blame him for what is happening now, then you MUST credit him for what he did then – otherwise your arguments just do not stack up!!

No I don't Credit him for Darios work, no.

TrinidadsNumberOne
27-03-2016, 04:42 AM
At least Notts County are doing something about their mess!

Whilst sacking managers every 3 months is detrimental, so is retaining a manager with a shocking record over the last 3 years. Nothing changes bar the relinquishing of high earning players with replacements being externally sourced crocks and flops or internally inexperienced youngsters. It's not a recipe for success.

I'm sick and tired of certain people repeatedly endorsing failure at this football club. Personally, I believe it is weak to even consider allowing Davis a fourth straight season to recruit poorly and have us winning a solitary game by October before we're in another relegation scrap again.

With home support inevitably decreasing, the only way the losses will be stemmed is by sacking Davis, exiling Collins to a behind-the-scenes role and putting in a new manager. There are plenty of people out there who would bite arms off for a chance to manage one of the 92, so why not embrace change? This isn't a chan

Alexman
27-03-2016, 03:37 PM
I've been blessed to watch some neutral football over the past few weeks and it's refreshing to see two teams attack each other, with incisive forward passing, skill, flair, determination, attacking football and intelligent counter attacking football all being on display even as low a Steps 6 or 7 of the lower league pyramid. Crewe play a style of football where static passing sideways and backwards followed by an aimless hoof to nowhere is the norm. It's woeful to watch. And since Summer 2013 Davis has been the most negative manager I've ever seen and I will stand by that. If Davis remains, there will be a lot of people not paying £275 to watch more of the same against supposedly inferior opposition next season.

I too have witnessed some neutral football in the past few days and its incredible to see how different their games are to Crewe's. I truly believe that the dross we have witnessed over so long has impact

somersetcrewe
30-03-2016, 06:20 AM
I'm sick and tired of certain people repeatedly endorsing failure at this football club.

I don't know anyone, (well, maybe 2 individuals on here because they just seem to lap it up!), who do that! Just a listen to the programme below is a subtle reminder of why we do things the way we do. And it's not a case of living in the past. It's a reminder of what we can achieve. Just a shame about his choice of music! ;)

Sacking managers every 3 months is not only detrimental, it's just not something we do - thank god!

And are Colchester not another example of fans' fickle nature? Recently it was a case of "they are bottom and look, they have a cat 2 academy"!! Two successive wins later and suddenly they are in with a sniff (still a long shot of course) and all the academy stuff will be forgotten and instead it will all be down to the fact that they changed their manager. Just shows how anyone can mold any argument to

Timmy58
30-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Agree with pretty much everything you say there Somerset. Well, except for your criticism of Neil Baker's choice of music. I have only listened to 15 mins so far but no problem with his first piece.
Assuming we do get relegated and that is a pretty fair assumption, it will be interesting to see how often those two posters raise their heads if we have a good season.

TrinidadsNumberOne
30-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I am not bought by the rhetoric continually spewed by the club. And likewise Somerset, I don't agree with sackings every 3 months, but we've had a manager for 4 and a half years now of which the last two thirds of his reign have been dreadful. Doesn't 3 consistent seasons of failure ring alarm bells? Because to me it does.

Growing rhetoric from the media is that Davis will be here next season. What annoys me is positivists believing those who aren't happy with the current state of the club are trolls or being negative for the sake of it. A season ticket isn't an obligation, it's an investment, it's a bad investment when you look at the statistics over the past three seasons too. Therefore my sympathies lie with those who do not renew next season as I don't blame them if we retain the current management.

What I will say is this, even the fans who call for Davis' head like myself would love nothing more than for him to turn it around. I question his management regularly but there a

all
30-03-2016, 03:20 PM
I believe that anyone who wants SD to be our manager next year has far less passion for and pride in CAFC than I do.

Timmy58
30-03-2016, 05:43 PM
I believe that anyone who wants SD to be our manager next year has far less passion for and pride in CAFC than I do.

I would suggest that is rather presumptuous. A differing opinion is no less "passionate" because it differs. You could apply that logic to anything!

somersetcrewe
30-03-2016, 07:46 PM
What annoys me is positivists believing those who aren't happy with the current state of the club are trolls or being negative for the sake of it.

Totally respect your views on SD and the like, TNO, but I do take slight exception with this.
I'll even take the liberty of speaking on behalf of some others on here, even though I don't know them personally.

It is definitely NOT the case that all "those who aren't happy with the current state of the club are trolls" - just those (two!) who haven't posted a positive thing about CAFC (in their lives?), and go missing when they have the opportunity to do so.

THEY are the trolls (IMHO), that's all.

Anyway, I've repeated this point ad nauseum over many months (years?). I won't bore you with it again.