PDA

View Full Version : The Crewe Alex Way

thnhouse
26-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Just read Steves comments about battling against the Crewe way, nice to see he's identified another reason it's not his fault ...

“It’s difficult here because we have to fulfil lots of criteria. One of them is playing football.

“We also have to win matches, sell players, play the young boys – there are a lot of boxes to tick.

That's the idea of managing at a club where youth is important, if we are producing technical footballers then there's no point playing direct football as that's not the way they've been taught, also there's not many youngsters that are immediately capable of the physicality of it.

Furberstreet
26-05-2016, 10:32 AM
I find it difficult to understand how SD is still having trouble implementing the basics of being a football manager. He was a player at Crewe and came through the Club's system, so the link with the Academy should hardly be news to him. In terms of tactics, the retention of possession with little discernible end-product was something he seemed to be focusing on. There is nothing wrong with playing direct football, whether as a Plan A or B, but we need to have the players to make it work. I would prefer to see it employed as an alternate style.

Given the furore at Old Trafford over the style of football encouraged by LVG, which looks very similar to that often played by Crewe this season (too many sideways and back passes, very little incisive play in and around the box), it is a pity that SD was not able to introduce a similar defensive resilience which helped Man Utd to compensate in part for their lack of goals. Interesting that LVG felt that his blooding of the youngsters

bigroof
26-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Well I suppose all managers have to oblige the press during the lean close season, but so often whatever Steve says is open to criticism. I guess that's the price, currently, of his teams' lack of success.

It's difficult to believe he's still peddling this line of Academy players not being bothered particularly about winning. Sure, there's been a perception over the years that the Academy coaches were more interested in player development than in results. That seems to have changed though. Since the requirement to play under 21 fixtures, Crewe's results, in both under 18 and under 21 fixtures have stood up well compared to their competitors. They don't finish bottom. They've even qualified for end-of-season play-offs a couple of times, and won one section a couple of years ago.

As under 21 coach this season, Alex Morris has consistently peddled the line - after a poor start, results-wise - that the players have to learn what it takes to win matches; he's emphasised the need to co

VindePays2009
26-05-2016, 04:54 PM
I've said for ages, without taking any pleasure in it, that from up here north of the Border and relying on the occasional game and Steve's comments to the subservient media, he looks to be a pretty mediocre bloke, alas.

Neil, in comparison, is a real gem, but unfortunately does not rule the roost.

Steve understand what makes players tick? not a clucking. Aware of when to make a timely sustitution? don't make me laugh.

I find it interestiing that his other son, Joe, no doubt a better player than H, has always kept well clear of the club. Sensible lad.

I give SD a couple of months into the new season, no more. Even Mr Bowler seems to be hinting at this.

ALEXKNOWALL
26-05-2016, 05:10 PM
SD did not come through the Alex club system. He signed from Stoke City.

Sometimes think the Crewe Way is a bit of a myth. Dario avoided Route 1 kick and rush as he developed the team around better players but he was not averse to fielding big forwards

The Crewe Way is not always short passing but is generally recognisable as trying to protect and keep the ball a la Murphy, Whalley, Seth and Murphy

AstonAlex
27-05-2016, 08:51 AM
The so-called Crewe Way is surely about two things. Firstly producing well coached, technically able players who perform to the best of their ability, be that ability that of a Powell or Ashton or somewhat less. Secondly to give those young players the chance and support to maximise their potential.

It seems to me that the Academy and Under 21 teams continue to meet the first of those obligations and results over the past couple of years in the respective age group competitions suggest they are meeting the second as well. However, I would question whether those responsible for the first team are helping those better graduates achieve their potential. Yes, pressures seem greater these days, but Dario spent 8 or 9 seasons in what is now the Championship and still produced Lunt, Vaughan, Rivers, Wright, Maynard and others from within the club structure - and all without coming out and publicly doubting their attitude and 'fighting spirit'.

SD seems to have problems developing our

steelydon
27-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Aston Alex quite rightly points out the players Dario brought through in what is now the championship. One player he doesn't mention is Rob Hulse who surely would have been an Alex great were it not for the emergence of Deano. Where Dario proved his greatness was in picking up for free or for small fees the likes of Sean Smith, Steve McAuley, Neil Lennon, Tony Naylor etc.etc. to augment our youth products. Occasionally "big" money was spent when needed on say Walton and Jack.
Sadly SD and those responsible have made a right mess of recruitment. Of all the players who have come and gone over the past four years only Guthrie has looked the part. Did anyone really think the likes of Sarcevic or Shearer were remotely League 1 players? Question.... who was or is the worst player brought into the club since SD took over. The choice is from a large pool.

AstonAlex
27-05-2016, 11:04 AM
If you include loan players, Cameron Park, no question.

steelydon
27-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Byron Moore was dropped away at Wolves so Park could play on the wing. Another SD masterstroke!