PDA

View Full Version : O/T Sky Q

mondo_notion
30-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Am I missing something with sky's 'fluid viewing experience'?

Been having a look at it and the main features seem to be:

Record 4 shows while you watch a 5th - I've never really had a problem recording all my shows before with all the +1. +24 and on demand channels. Even the sky+ app tells you when there is another viewing of a show if you can't record it at that moment.

Four times more storage than sky+HD - Meh, ok but cant remember the last time I was close to 100% full.

Pause your show in one room and play in another - I can do that now with the app. :?

Only good thing seems to be the ability to sync any recordings to a tablet or other device to watch on the go.

What is it they are actually selling here? Anyone got it? Seems like a waste of money to me. I've got rid of my movies, sports and reckon i'll just cancel the whole thing soon, so much money for what you actually get.

Jupiter
30-05-2016, 07:29 PM
It's just a more expensive sky box, don't bother with it

Barnared
30-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I phukin hate the way sky drip feed you the technology. There's nothing new here just time for an upgrade. Very poor value all in all. I think I might get rid this summer too. I also hate the way sky (and others) charge you extra to watch your own HD tv in HD! This is one of the biggest ever scams. As the technology progresses in terms of the image quality of the TV you can buy, the TV companies try to charge you again for the privilege of getting the benefits of your already expensive purchase. Thats it sky, ive decided, you can phuk off. Your not getting any more guffball cash out of me.

mondo_notion
30-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Yeah BT have the additional cost to view in HD to. If I didn't get BT sport free via the broadband I wouldn't be bothering with them either. Curved screens, ultra HD and 3D what a load of p*sh.

These VR headsets seem pretty interesting though.

simarooskimoose
30-05-2016, 08:14 PM
It's called price targeting, it's basically a way for companies to work out whether you're willing to pay a bit more for a product. Same way the coffee places will charge you more to have some additional ingredient in the coffee which doesn't actually cost them anything extra to add - the price conscious will go without, but those who value the product more highly or are just willing to pay more will stump up. This is the same but with Sky boxes; a couple of bells and whistles, which as you've worked out, effectively add nothing but to sort the price-conscious thrifty types from the big spenders.

Three_crazz
30-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Called yesterday , came to senses at last , dropped sport, movies & multiroom , saves £43 a month , told them I didn't want anymore calls on this ,I've made my choice , if they come back & say "we will give you this for 1/2 price then my retort would be , if you can afford to offer my 1/2 price then why is that not my current monthly bill?

theram1975
30-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Got rid of Sky years ago and bought a motorised dish. Countless live games from all over the world, ppv boxing, ppv wrestling if it's your thing and all the golf, snooker, rugby, tennis etc you could ever want and all in HD.

I had a look at the press release for Sky Q, never appealed to me in the slightest. Not really anything that jumps out and makes it a must have.

mondo_notion
30-05-2016, 08:38 PM
[quote="Three_crazz"we will give you this for 1/2 price then my retort would be , if you can afford to offer my 1/2 price then why is that not my current monthly bill? [/quote]

Yeah a couple months back I checked the bill and it was £75 for variety and sports, can't justify spending that every month. I got the 'amazing' come back to us offers as well but not going for it this time. Must admit I like Sky Atlantic and the Sky+ feature itself but apart from that I am done with it.

SkyQ was billed as the future of TV viewing but it doesn't really add much I don't get already and I think the basic package for Q starts at £44 p/month. No thanks.

AberdeenArnold
30-05-2016, 08:57 PM
I gave Sky 30 days notice last week.

I'm on £75 a month and out of contract. For TV and Fibre Broadband that is affa expensive. I'll give them a few weeks to give me a good deal or I may head off to Virgin.

Brian Grantland
30-05-2016, 09:07 PM
virgin are equally shoite

GraniteCitySpur
30-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Gentleman, I work for Sky and as a result get friends and family codes for discounted subs. Normally this is usually for people who would be new to Sky customers (or rejoining)

I'm not going to try and sell you any Sky products but should any of my AFC brethren need a cheap deal when signing up then feel free to private message me.
Pretty certain there aren't any limits on how many I can hand out so feel free to contact me if any of your mates need codes too.

GraniteCitySpur
30-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Oh, I think I have free install codes for Sky Q for existing Sky customers if this thread hasn't put you off too!

Three_crazz
30-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Yeah a couple months back I checked the bill and it was £75 for variety and sports, can't justify spending that every month. I got the 'amazing' come back to us offers as well but not going for it this time. Must admit I like Sky Atlantic and the Sky+ feature itself but apart from that I am done with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^ very much the same ,,,, billing was away to go to £80 a month. Fkuc that , Sky Atlantic , sky + and sky go although I now have to pay for sky go.
Also 17 years with them !!!

Barnared
30-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Most folk are the same. When you break it down your paying a fortune for phuk all. They will give you money off if you complain but it's not a 'cheaper deal', they're only ripping you off a bit less.

Jupiter
31-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Sky have to pay for their new ridiculously over priced EPL TV deal from next season, that's bound to push their prices up even more.

Stoney_Scarfer
31-05-2016, 05:25 AM
As soon as I see the letter through the door about the increase in tariff, I get straight on the phone to explain that I will not be scapegoated into paying for an over-priced football league that I have no interest in watching or funding.
The price gets dropped accordingly and I go on my merry way.
The only thing it gets used for in our house is the kids package for my boys. Other than that, I don't need it anymore as I download most series that I watch these days.
If I want to watch a game that I can't get to, then its Redtv international through a foreign VPN and linked with Apple TV.
There are far too many new boxes out there that you can buy to restrict yourself to sky.

Buc
31-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Gentleman, I work for Sky and as a result get friends and family codes for discounted subs. Normally this is usually for people who would be new to Sky customers (or rejoining)

I'm not going to try and sell you any Sky products but should any of my AFC brethren need a cheap deal when signing up then feel free to private message me.
Pretty certain there aren't any limits on how many I can hand out so feel free to contact me if any of your mates need codes too.

Can you private message fellow posters on here if so how can you gain access I've probably got a few sitting if that's the case asking about boilers or even being told to take a hike.:D

BuddyChopper
31-05-2016, 08:40 AM
I actually re-joined sky yesterday after a pretty shiiite experience with BT...bad band width speed, poor telly reception etc.

Managed to get the family package, sports, broadband, line rental, new equipment, installation set-up and £80 credit to my account...working out at £58 per month. It's still a lot of money but I like the choice on their packages.

Barnared
31-05-2016, 08:53 AM
£60 a month to watch the TV. Holy phuk.

MeadowbankRed
31-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know the cheapest way to get unlimited broadband?

BuddyChopper
31-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I know it's Shiite but broadband is pretty much part of life nowadays and that equates to around £24 a month at most suppliers so in theory the telly is £30odd which is a luxury and not a necessity...it can be cancelled at anytime should I need to.

Barnared
31-05-2016, 09:30 AM
No way. I've never, ever payed for broadband. Broadband is ALWAYS available for free. It's only ever line rental you pay for and that's between £15-18. It's even cheaper if you pay for the year upfront. (I'm with sky)

I've long wondered how many pennies in every pound you spend goes directly to English football. I've looked but can't seem to find anything. I bet it's over 50p.

BuddyChopper
31-05-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm ok with that, I enjoy watching football and other sports so happy to papremium for high quality viewing.

I've tried the downloading nonsense but between rubbish quality resolution, pop up adverts and often foreign accents I gave up!

Barnared
31-05-2016, 11:27 AM
XD another sky employee? ;D

The_Verninator
31-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Have unlimited broadband with Sky for £18pm - basically line rental (free broadband on top) - happy enough.

Any TV/Films/Music i download/stream at no additional cost.

Anyone who pays extra is a mug

That wrinkled money grabbing old b*stard Murdoch ain't getting any more of my cash

Buc
31-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I actually re-joined sky yesterday after a pretty shiiite experience with BT...bad band width speed, poor telly reception etc.

Managed to get the family package, sports, broadband, line rental, new equipment, installation set-up and £80 credit to my account...working out at £58 per month. It's still a lot of money but I like the choice on their packages.

I can understand your impatience with BT.
I moved from sky to BT they promised me superfast speed internet free calls BT sports nature programs on the day of the change over no internet still just a sky box but they sent me the router my phone wasn't working .. I phoned them they told me they had changed my home number without even telling me I was also not getting a BT box as they said I need faster speed internet to get the channels .. :? I couldn't understand that they eventually got my phone number back and have since gave me BT sports through my sky box :? And

Three_crazz
31-05-2016, 06:21 PM
BT touch wood ,has been decient up to now , moved to their home hub from Sky about 18 months ago , the speed shown here is wifi to tablet , eathernet to the laptop is a bit quicker ,
http://i67.tinypic.com/2dlqeqr.jpg

sheepcrooky
31-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Oh, I think I have free install codes for Sky Q for existing Sky customers if this thread hasn't put you off too!

GCS, I was thinking of installing Q, how can I acquire these install codes as I don't know how to PM on this forum.

Barnared
31-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Apparently with this new sky box you can record 5 programmes at once.
If that's what you need then I think that you should be asking yourself - just how much phukin TV am I watching?

supersneak
01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Sky Q is essentially a replacement, or alternative to multiroom installations, and allows a mixture of mini boxes and tablets to stream content from the central box. The satellite feed is to the main box, the mini boxes are connected via your internal network and can set up their own recordings, although the planner is centralised and shared. If you only have one Sky box, it's of very little benefit, unless you want 4K content, which will be available later this year with the Sky Q Silver box, but not on the mini boxes.

GraniteCitySpur
01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Alright fella? Not sure what the rules re email addresses are on here, but mine is bloodredshadows@googlemail.com.
Send me ur email address and I'll send you an invite to the deal.

Poor old Uncle Rupert has a divorce and a new wedding to pay for!
Wouldn't want him out in the cold, would we?!

Barnared
01-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Wow

GraniteCitySpur
01-06-2016, 12:29 PM
If you are paying £15-£18 per month for line rental you aren't getting your broadband for free!

Barnared
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
If you are paying £15-£18 per month for line rental you aren't getting your broadband for free!

You are though, aren't you?

theram1975
01-06-2016, 08:21 PM
GCS, can you email me an invite to selbyoaks@outlook.com please.

Just about to move into a new house and won't have my own setup up and running for a while.

sheepcrooky
01-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Alright fella? Not sure what the rules re email addresses are on here, but mine is bloodredshadows@googlemail.com.
Send me ur email address and I'll send you an invite to the deal.

Poor old Uncle Rupert has a divorce and a new wedding to pay for!
Wouldn't want him out in the cold, would we?!

Cheers min, might mean "young" Jerry Hall will have to have one less bottle of champagne tonight.

The_Verninator
02-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Most if not all of us pay line rental...don't we ?

I resent paying even that to be honest..was getting free line rental and unlimited broadband for £7 until that ran out.

AberdeenArnold
12-06-2016, 07:05 PM
I gave Sky 30 days notice last week.

I'm on £75 a month and out of contract. For TV and Fibre Broadband that is affa expensive. I'll give them a few weeks to give me a good deal or I may head off to Virgin.

Got a letter from Sky, 50 percent off TV for 12 months and 50 percent off broadband for 6 months.

I'll take it, cheers Rupert :P

Barnared
12-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Got a letter from Sky, 50 percent off TV for 12 months and 50 percent off broadband for 6 months.

Pretty poor deal that.

AberdeenArnold
12-06-2016, 08:38 PM
pretty poor deal that.

:zzz:

Will you have anything positive to say during the summer

Barnared
12-06-2016, 08:51 PM
:zzz:

Will you have anything positive to say during the summer

How can it be negative? It's merely honest opinion based on personal experience, I wasn't trying to take the piss.

As I said a while back on this thread, I've not paid a penny for broadband in years and when I have quite sky or threatened to before, I've always got at least 6 months half price of something but often more.

ILikeJam
13-06-2016, 08:55 AM

I got the email of 50% off TV, but they've not offered me the broadband deal... yet! Might push for Sports HD thrown into the bargain

GraniteCitySpur
13-06-2016, 11:54 AM
I got the email of 50% off TV, but they've not offered me the broadband deal... yet! Might push for Sports HD thrown into the bargain

Any existing customer offer with 50% off TV for 12 months is pretty good.

ILikeJam
13-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Any existing customer offer with 50% off TV for 12 months is pretty good.

Fancy lobbing 50% off broadband and Sports HD my way ana?!

Sdr204
11-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Hi there do you still have any codes available for sky q installation for existing customers ?

Sdr204
11-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Hi there do you still have codes available ?