PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with a Hibs fan

ozzymiller
22-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Watching the Hibs game whilst in Lanzarote and got talking to a Hibees fan. He is gutted that Stubbs has gone and rated all the work he did. He was over the moon with their first SFA cup win and said that it will make Stubbs a legend.
I asked about him not taking Hibs up where he went on to say that although disappointing it wasn't a surprise. Rangers and previously Hearts were the big spenders and Stubbs had built a shoe string side which were just starting to come good - but just not good enough. He felt the fruit of that labour should be seen this year where Lennon will get the plaudits off of Stubbs work.
He also said that he will follow Stubbs career at RUFC and it was the step up he deserved. I questioned the 'step up' remark as we are a small club he said any club in the Championship is a step up from Scotland clubs.

sawmiller
22-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks Ozzy

sounds good to me - looking forward to this season - yet another one in the Championship - how good is that?

ozzymiller
22-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks Ozzy

sounds good to me - looking forward to this season - yet another one in the Championship - how good is that?

Cheers. It made me feel a little more excited.
I told him that the appointment hadn't gone down that well. His reply was to say if he gets the time he'll build a good side and will end up in Prem having done wonders with us. Here's hoping.
He then left, spitting chips, as his team just lost on pens ;-)

vespabri
22-07-2016, 02:24 PM
I was chuffed to bits when Stubbs was appointed...i know wer'e all pee'd off at little signings but i'd rather hand pick the good ones than have the old scattergun approach...HATED THAT FROM DAY 1.
STUBBSY'S RED ARMY!!!!

ozzymiller
22-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I was chuffed to bits when Stubbs was appointed...i know wer'e all pee'd off at little signings but i'd rather hand pick the good ones than have the old scattergun approach...HATED THAT FROM DAY 1.
STUBBSY'S RED ARMY!!!!

So am I Bri... I was just saying that some fans weren't that fussed.
Totally with regarding the signings. Warnock got the team playing and we have largely kept the same players so with a few more we should be ok. I wish they had kept Darbs as at the end of last season he showed what he is capable of.
UTM!

rileyev.the.third
22-07-2016, 06:21 PM
People need to stop being so positive on here..

You should know the negative posts get more replies.

I was gutted NW didn't give us a full season but am happy we got Stubbs and my gut tells me he will do just fine.

1875STEVE
23-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Watching the Hibs game whilst in Lanzarote and got talking to a Hibees fan. He is gutted that Stubbs has gone and rated all the work he did. He was over the moon with their first SFA cup win and said that it will make Stubbs a legend.
I asked about him not taking Hibs up where he went on to say that although disappointing it wasn't a surprise. Rangers and previously Hearts were the big spenders and Stubbs had built a shoe string side which were just starting to come good - but just not good enough. He felt the fruit of that labour should be seen this year where Lennon will get the plaudits off of Stubbs work.
He also said that he will follow Stubbs career at RUFC and it was the step up he deserved. I questioned the 'step up' remark as we are a small club he said any club in the Championship is a step up from Scotland clubs.

We are all gutted we lost Stubbs left, but I duno about the shoe-string comment, spending within are means.

Terry Butcher left him an absolute mess, and it took time, but he signed some cracking players who I think came because of his reputation in the game.

Spent the first season in the championship learning.

Rangers and Hearts spent years spending cash they didn't have.

Rangers were liquidated and Hearts come close.

Hearts spent 30 years dominating us because of it, racking up just shy of £40m debt. then managed to somehow walk away from it leaving behind debtors ranging from numerous charities to local grocer shops.

Duno about Lennon getting the plaudits off stubbs work either, the team isn't complete, we struggled to break teams down who would sit it, because we didnt have wingers or a big bustling striker, Stubbs was also a bit stubborn and 90% played the same formation, and took too long to change thins when they wouldn't work.

In saying that, he is still learning, and will be an outstanding boss for someone one day.

First thing Lennon has done is bring in a target man.

Good luck to Stubbsy, he will always be a legend.

Also, the dig at Scottish football, sorry, rubbish.

Also it wasn't our 1st SFA cup win, it was our 3rd - We just hadn't won it in 114 years, despite being in 14 finals and something like 25-30 semi finals.....

Good luck with your season.