PDA

View Full Version : Start HAY upfront Sat

Skywalker1983
01-08-2016, 07:41 PM
That's Halford and Yates

Big man little man

Worked for a lot of clubs in past and may be only 1 of a few options we have

Normally opens up a lot of space in attacking end for midfield runners and Yates as all eyes will be on Halford

ravingred
01-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I agree with you. We need a different outlet during the match, and Halford can hold the ball up for Yates to get in behind their defence. Come on AS you know you want to!

caytonmiller
01-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Can't believe your asking for a big man up top. All that does is encourage hoof ball
Most CB in championship lack pace. Playing the channels isolated a CB and Vs sunderland and in Poland Yates and ward did that to good effect.

ravingred
01-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Wolves back four are like the land of giants. We cannot allow them to boss us like last season. We should use Halford to restore parity up front. Obviously AS likes to play out from the back and keep the ball on the deck, but as an alternative during a match there is more than one way to skin a cat! (Or metaphorically, a wolf!).

caytonmiller
01-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Fink it's wolves as there's more than 1
Camiller will be along soon for conformation

CAMiller
01-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Fink it's wolves as there's more than 1
Camiller will be along soon for conformation

Mrs CA here - I'll ask him when he wakes up as the old fart has gone for a nap.

Casper64Frank
01-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Mrs CA here - I'll ask him when he wakes up as the old fart has gone for a nap.

You've been called worse than an old fart.....much worse.

CAMiller
01-08-2016, 09:08 PM
You've been called worse than an old fart.....much worse.

I take comfort in the belief that I'm sure he meant to call me an old raft XD

Casper64Frank
01-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Yates may not even play. Stubbs could go one up front in Danny Ward and pack midfield.
Prefer Yates to start from the off, if the youngster's show promise get them in running the channel's. Don't agree with 15mins here and there if we had that attitude in the 70's players like Trevor Phillips, Richard Finney, John Green, Paul Stancliffe and other's wouldn't have progressed as quickly as they did.
If Wolves defender's are man mountains play it to feet.
All the talk about Jerry being too lightweight is rubbish. Phillips, Finney and Bobby Williamson weren't exactly well built.

Back of the net
01-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Agree Casper

millers88
01-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Can't believe your asking for a big man up top. All that does is encourage hoof ball
Most CB in championship lack pace. Playing the channels isolated a CB and Vs sunderland and in Poland Yates and ward did that to good effect.

Exactly this, we're in the championship now where you need a better game plan than just hitting long to a big man to head it down to little man to score like in league 2, those days are long gone we're in a league full of technical quality players where its all about passing, movement and good link up play.

mikemiller
01-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Previous attempts to play 4-5-1 with Danny Ward up front have been generally unsuccessful, so I'd prefer 4-4-2. No reason to believe that Alan Stubbs would try Halford up front - he hasn't done that in the friendlies, so umlikely to try that on Saturday.

millers88
01-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Yates may not even play. Stubbs could go one up front in Danny Ward and pack midfield.
Prefer Yates to start from the off, if the youngster's show promise get them in running the channel's. Don't agree with 15mins here and there if we had that attitude in the 70's players like Trevor Phillips, Richard Finney, John Green, Paul Stancliffe and other's wouldn't have progressed as quickly as they did.
If Wolves defender's are man mountains play it to feet.
All the talk about Jerry being too lightweight is rubbish. Phillips, Finney and Bobby Williamson weren't exactly well built.

I think he will play Ward up front on his own and play 5 in midfield tbh as well, i reckon line up will be something like this if Wilson looking like getting signed up.

Camp
Kelly, Broadfoot, Wilson, Mattock
Smallwood, JFC
Vaulks, Frecks, Forde
Ward

Subs: Price, Wood, Thorpe, Halford, Dawson, DBK, Yates

caytonmiller
01-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Unsuccessful ? Our last 15 games of last season we played 451. Admittedly we played a striker as one of the 5 (Derbyshire).
Talking of Derbyshire. He's scored 2 goals in 5 games in Cyprus.

Casper64Frank
01-08-2016, 10:28 PM
My team would depend on whether Ryan McClaughlin is offered a contract. If he is play him from the start. Kelly's played well at right back but I prefer him at Centre-Back, he reads the game really well.
Would be great to get Joe Newell fit & back in the side. A lot's expected of Joe this season. Belaid is supposed to be back in light training after his minor groin op.
The squad's not looking too bad, plenty of options in midfield. Still lightweight in numbers up front

Shark27
01-08-2016, 10:42 PM
I've only read the opening heading to this post but, start with a bale of hay up front? You could just be onto something there. Just a joke, however, when Danny Ward gets injured in the pre match huddle you never know!

mikemiller
02-08-2016, 05:04 AM
Unsuccessful ? Our last 15 games of last season we played 451. Admittedly we played a striker as one of the 5 (Derbyshire).
Talking of Derbyshire. He's scored 2 goals in 5 games in Cyprus.

End of last season was more like a 4-1-1-3-1 formation.... plus we haven't got Derbyshire this time to play in the "3" anyway now

caytonmiller
02-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Since in a team you have. A defence. A midfield and A attack. Your 41131 formation is basically 451 :)
So it can and does work if executed correctly though it doesn't win you many games. Think we won 6 of the last 15

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
02-08-2016, 10:13 AM
If we don't sign anyone soon Halford will definitely get some time up front, he might do anyway.

gwru
02-08-2016, 10:44 AM
With defence we have at present attach will be our best form of defence. Wilson not signed as I write, hope that stays same. We need somebody up to the fitness levels required.

Hope we can get some sort of target man up front. Halford is desperation. We've had 3 months to sort it out.