PDA

View Full Version : Right players wrong formation

caytonmiller
27-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Looking at the squad AS has created with the exception of a couple of strikers. I think this squad is is prob the best we have had in the past few years (whilst in the championship)
We all know.
Camp, broadfoot, mattock, Kelly, Frecks, smallwood, newell, ward , Halford. Can all do a job on the championship.
Add.
Fisher, Wilson, ball, Taylor, voukes, brown, adeyami
And the ones who should be backup
Wood, forde, caskey, Allen, Yates, belaid, Thorpe,

we have a decent enough set of player.
The question is getting the best out of what we have.

I don't believe AS is playing the formation needed to be successful in the championship. Especially away from home.

At the moment he has limited option at the formation we are playing.

How does he rectify it? Imo go back to basics. Play the right players in the formation chosen.
Play 442 or 451. 4141. Or whatever you youngens want to call it.

If it's 451. It's
1 keeper.
2 full backs.
2 CB.
1 sitting midfielder
2 box to box midfielder.
2 wingers.
1 hold up striker..

If it's 442 it's
1 keeper.
2 full backs.
2 CB.
2 Cm
2 wingers
2 foruds.

FFS Alan. Pick your formation and put the right players in the right place.

Evans tinkered with it and went back to 442 just in time to keep us up.
Redfearn tinkered, never learned and bit the bullet.
Warnock did it from the off and we all know how that turned out.
I thought you were the right appointment and was/am happy for you to be here. Just stop fkin about and trying to be something were not.

kentmillerman
27-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm no expert but cayton does have a point. We mortals who watch do not know the finer points of formations except what we read at any given game.

Casper64Frank
27-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Central- Midfield cost us today. Wrong midfield entirely. No leaders out there and no-one to put a decent tackle in.
First goal a scramble in the 6yd box, 2nd goal a deflection wrong footing Camp. 2 goals in the space of 3mins. At 2-0 down the game was over. Stubbs should have put Yates on straight after the 2nd goal instead of waiting nearly another 10mins nothing to lose at that stage.
That must have been the worst 2nd halves I`ve seen for a long time, not just the result but the capitulation.
I hope that`s as bad as it gets.

Brin
27-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Cayton I was in the process of making a similar thread on the ridiculous current 4-5-1 formation we use but it timed me out once I'd completed it...:mad:

Anyway saw your thread so thought I'd add to it….great points btw...

It must be a breeze for an opposing manger to know what our formation is even before we've kicked off…so predictable with one up front and a defence that is going down quicker than the titanic…

An average deficit of 3 goals a game including the Morecambe game and looking like we'll be rock bottom sooner or later….

How come we fans can see the problem but stubborn Stubbs refuses to change it?

It simply isn't working and morale amongst the team must be at an all time low….

After today's woeful capitulation it needs a fix and Allen..Forster-Caskey…Wilson and Fisher need dropping…bring in Yates to partner Ward…Smallwood in the middle with Mattock and Wood (until Broadfoot is back) in the back four…

Camp

Mattock…Wood…Ball…Kelly

Brown…Smallwood…Vaulks…Taylor

Ward and Yates

We have no other choice at the moment with so many players out injured….

We need some energy and thrust in midfield and as soon as Frecklington/Adeyemi are fit then for me Vaulks can take a rest also...

animallittle3
27-08-2016, 08:12 PM
The first goal is key at this level isn't it , 0-0 at half time and both teams more or less cancelling each other out , we get a break in the box and a deflected shot and all of a sudden it's a different game , we find more space because the millers need to push up and take risks and before you know it you've had what looks like a good tonking but for 50 odd minutes it was anybody's game , fine margins .

The only thing I would say is that if we went 2-0 down I'd fully expect us to put more in and battle harder and not drop our heads like unfortunately a few millers players did today .

Stubbs doesn't strike me as someone whose going to tolerate heads dropping and I think he's worth sticking with .

caytonmiller
27-08-2016, 08:54 PM
I don't have a problem brin with the 451 if he plays the right players in these positions.
We have Taylor brown newell and forde. So plenty of wingers to choose from.
We have smallwood, Halford adeyami and even Thorpe who could/can play the holding midfielder roll.
Then it's 2 from caskey, Allen, voukes or frecks for the box to box player.
Why we play 451 without a defensive midfielder is beyond me.
Personally I would play 451 away with one or sometimes 2 holding midfielers.

CAMiller
27-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Sounds a bit like what Eric Morecambe said to Andre Preview:-

"I am playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order" XD

Romared
27-08-2016, 10:06 PM
I don't have a problem brin with the 451 if he plays the right players in these positions.
We have Taylor brown newell and forde. So plenty of wingers to choose from.
We have smallwood, Halford adeyami and even Thorpe who could/can play the holding midfielder roll.
Then it's 2 from caskey, Allen, voukes or frecks for the box to box player.
Why we play 451 without a defensive midfielder is beyond me.
Personally I would play 451 away with one or sometimes 2 holding midfielers.just saying the Bristol Dwarf had us playing 4 5 1 last season , it got us nearly relegated !! We went back to 4 4 2 and our season dramatically improved , some of these so called New Young Managers are just reading this garbage from a lap top eg, get back to 4 4 2 and i'm sure and hope you will come good ! Forza di Reds UTFLWG

Timbertop
27-08-2016, 10:07 PM
It's not the formation it's simply the players that aren't good enough. Stubbs predictably from his recent experience in the Scottish pub league has recruited slow coach players.Flooding the mid field with paceless players isn't going to work at this level as Barnsley exemplified.It's even more annoying when players eg Forster -Caskey don't look one bit bothered.

redhouse
27-08-2016, 10:08 PM
For us to survive in this league we need to play 4-5-1 with players breaking from the wide positions of the midfield to help the lone striker

We played this under Warnock but with more passion and organisation than we are at the moment

I think we have some decent young lads but most of them are too similar let's hope it comes good sooner than later

caytonmiller
28-08-2016, 07:28 AM
got to disagree timber. last season the team picked its self due to a weak bench.
the players brought in have strengthened our back 4 and midfield.
the problem starts when close season you loose JCH best and derbyshire and dont replace any.
from the others who left in the summer you could argue G Ward has not been replaced though Izzy brown has filled that gap. and we now have taylor and forde who can cover the gaps.
plus the backbone of the team has been injured or out of form.

we all know we need 2 strikers. every other position has at least 3 players who can play there.

as said. AS hands are a little tied on the formation front next up we have bristol quickly followed by forest both at NYS
would like to see some backbone from the players and personally would play 451 with smallwood frecks and voukes as 3 of the 5 midfielders. we need a leader at the back, if broadfoot is not available then stick kelly in there with any of the others

caytonmiller
28-08-2016, 07:32 AM
BTW we need at least (could do with) 7 points from the next 4 games cos the way the fixtures are stacked up. it could well be our last ones till november

Monkey46
28-08-2016, 08:12 AM
We are doomed a tell thee.

lbj
28-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Strengthen the defence - strengthen the midfield - both these areas now have flexibility and cover which was important to do and we've done it!
Listen to the league managers from every league and the top end is always THE problem - overpriced and unproven. WE HAVE TO TRUST that this situation will be sorted! We simply can't really complain until Wednesday but at close of play - and we have not reinforced our attack then there'll be tears! I have to believe that AS has something up his sleeve or the players that have slipped through our fingers and why they slipped through our fingers will be heavily scrutinised. IN TS & AS WE TRUST!

Fingers crossed!

rolymiller
28-08-2016, 10:45 AM
If we havent got a striker in by Weds night think the lynch mobs will be out for Stubbsy and by the time the window opens again in Jan we will be that far adrift it wont matter about getting a new un.

gwru
28-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Only way we can play is 4-1-4-1. Adeyemi or Halford sat in front of the back 4. Fisher & Ball looked good against Brentford, they'd be the 2 to keep in defence. Yesterday there was no protection in front of the defence, so anybody would look bad + playing lightweight players in midfield.