PDA

View Full Version : Local Produce

Brian Grantland
27-08-2016, 07:19 PM
This is, I suppose, a companion thread to the fit's cooking.

I like to be local where ever possible, even though it does cost a bit more. I just think the difference in taste and quality is evident, and I like to support local/smaller businesses as opposed to your multi nationals.

Farmer's Markets are really good for that.

However, sometimes you buy packaged products that are (in my case) Scottish and they are a mixed bag.

Mackie's crisps I like (especially the bacon flavour), and their ice cream is lovely too. Although, I prefer local ice cream (Luca and Di Rollo for me) even to that.

Graham's yoghurt isn't great tho, very watery compared to Onken's but Rowan Glen yoghurty/probiotic drinks are decent. Especially the raspberry - very sharp.

Wondering what other people's local product faves are?

Recommendations?

Pacman1903
27-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Barra Berries are the b@llocks. I love summer time.

Agree with the Mackies crisps, esoecially Haggis and cracked black pepper

scobiemacd
28-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Local produce sounds like a euphemism for cum.

Buc
28-08-2016, 07:18 AM
We buy if we can mostly local fruit veg potatoes.

The strawberries from Perthshire are among the best around I would say that if the supermarket is selling berries there's a high chance they are from Scotland as we produce 70% of the berry market.

supersamba
28-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately I'm not 'comfortable' enough to indulge myself in the luxury of being picky about buying products which are admittedly socially and ethically preferable. I buy what tastes good and what is affordable to me. Where the stuff comes from doesn't enter into it. Although when I do get fresh veg as opposed to frozen I often buy from Aldi's and aren't they running a TV ad just now that states they source all their fresh veg locally? Whether that means in Aberdeenshire or Scotlland I'm not sure.

As for local products. Rowies, mock chops and Thains steak and gravy pies. Food fit for the gods.

TheDeeDon
28-08-2016, 09:07 AM
I think farmers markets are expensive as f*ck, and you can tell by the amount of Chelsea tractors you see at these places that it is all about show and f*ck all else.

The vegetables out of supermarkets are pretty good and reasonably priced that should be the most important thing. Fruit is more difficult to comment on as most of the fruit in this country is imported, bar the usual seasonal berries and maybe a bit of rhubarb.

tamzarian
28-08-2016, 07:50 PM
The fishmongers on Murray's Lane (aff Menzies Road) is good. It's called Blue Sea Products.

Pacman1903
29-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Mackies Rum and Raisin Ice Cream is brilliant and im not a Ice cream person.

Mrs Pac would argue and say Mackies honeycomb is the best ice cream on the go

Buc
29-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Mackies Rum and Raisin Ice Cream is brilliant and im not a Ice cream person.

Mrs Pac would argue and say Mackies honeycomb is the best ice cream on the go

Nah surely whippy has to be the best ever I'm sure Mrs Pacman will agree :?

InversneckieDob
29-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Best ice-cream is Capaldi's of Brora (now bought over by and sold through Harry Gow's Bakers).

Pac, you should check it oot on one of your Highland trips?

Pacman1903
29-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Should get Brora during my next leave so ill report back

Brian Grantland
29-08-2016, 08:19 PM
These f'ucking Italians coming over here bringing their beautiful tasting Ice Cream

Pacman1903
28-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Going back to the Hake i ate last night. It was fantastic and caught by locally by Buckie fisherman. Eat Mair Fish, ill be visiting you again

(i realise Buckie nae especially local to me, but im nae exactly near the sea)

donsdaft
28-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Mackies burnt caramel ice cream is lovely

Mackies crisps are bowfin

Pacman1903
28-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Mackies burnt caramel ice cream is lovely

Mackies crisps are bowfin

Nah min, the afforementioned Haggis and cracked black pepper are immense

Pacman1903
10-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Barra Berries open just as a heads up. Canna beat a punnet of imperfect staaaabs

Anyway. Me and Pac Jnr had a delightful bit of munch for tea tonight. Meldrum butchers pork and black pudding parcels. Holy sh@t it was heaven on a plate. Basically a pork vol et vent filled with black pudding and sweet onion chutney. My usual Tigerlilly when i get back from offshore will be replaced with these bad boys. Superb

If you are passing through.

Aldo1983
10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Best black pudding I've had was either from a butchers in Dornoch or a butchers in Port Patrick.

mondo_notion
10-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Though Brian Grantland was back for one last hurrah there for a minute :O

Disco Buc
10-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Though Brian Grantland was back for one last hurrah there for a minute :O

Ah so did aye.:O
I still think he's been posting .
Coming to think of it where's Getintaethem not seen him for a while.
Hope he comes back .

Pacman1903
10-07-2017, 09:06 PM
My mother in law bought me a Stornaway black pudding once. One of those beasting huge eens. McLeod Charles was the butcher. It was awesome. I was putting more black pudding in my bacon baps than bacon. But its nae local. Just mentioning it