PDA

View Full Version : Another Chopper Crash

Pacman1903
27-09-2016, 04:34 PM
http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN11X13B

6 confirmed dead now. Chopper heading from Angola to a Chevron platform in the Atlantic

My last trip i got the chopper out and boat back. During my trip BP banned all chopper mobilization. The reason? Total and BP got together and audited the chopper company. The results were, since all the 225s were grounded after the Norway crash earlier in the year, the chopper company binned all the ex pat mechanics. So when the audit took place there were no mechanics certified to work on them. So immediate ban by the two companies.

And we moaned like f@ck about having to Fly to Angola a day early to catch the boat. THANK F@CK we have to.

krakowdon
27-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Stay safe min.

You might or might not be able to do my job, but I sure as f@ck couldn't do yours.

Pacman1903
27-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Its f@cking sad and i wouldnt rule out Scots being on board(not that any nationality deserves that). Going by the three FPSOs ive been on out there it seems that South Africans and Scots are the most prominent ex pats.

F@cking terrible no matter who was on board

Buc
27-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Must have been a terrible last few moments before the smash for everyone on board what a horrible thought guys out just trying to earn a living.

Pacman1903
27-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Must have been a terrible last few moments before the smash for everyone on board what a horrible thought guys out just trying to earn a living.

Depends if it was known about or not it the lead up. If it just dropped out the sky i wouldnt expect anyone to be found as they would have been obliterated on impact. All you are taught in your survival goes out the window, no time to do it

Horrible thought. Im away on Monday. Be a sombre place

Buc
27-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Depends if it was known about or not it the lead up. If it just dropped out the sky i wouldnt expect anyone to be found as they would have been obliterated on impact. All you are taught in your survival goes out the window, no time to do it

I'm not sure I'd go on that type of helicopter until they found what was the cause could take some time though .

Pacman1903
27-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Like i said, we are already doing overnight boats now. Thank f@ck

Rochead
28-09-2016, 09:47 AM
As Buc said, just people trying to earn a living. Tragic.

scobiemacd
28-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Serious question, why is the fatality rate so high in chopper crashes? Does the machine break up or burst into flames on impact ?

Jupiter
28-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Serious question, why is the fatality rate so high in chopper crashes? Does the machine break up or burst into flames on impact ?

The fatality rate is so high because they drop out of the sky like a stone. No chance of anybody surviving that kind of impact. Aeroplanes always have a chance of gliding back down to the ground, which gives some possiblity of survival.

Pacman1903
28-09-2016, 07:00 PM
I worked with a guy who was in the RNLI and went out to look for the 2009 chopper. He said most of the bits they pulled out the sea had basically flattened like a crisp packet on inpact and there was no chance of survivors it would be like smashing into a brick wall.

Rochead
29-09-2016, 11:47 PM
On a lighter note re helicopters, I was reported by a pilot for forgetting to put on the helideck landing lights during the night, he was on a short trip between rigs, the deck was well lit up, just forgot. :zzz:

Pacman1903
04-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Minute silence on my boat yesterday.

Wreckage found on sunday and 5 of six bodies recovered. A whole week later.

Buc
04-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Minute silence on my boat yesterday.

Wreckage found on sunday and 5 of six bodies recovered. A whole week later.

For goodness sake

Buc
04-10-2016, 04:05 PM
The fatality rate is so high because they drop out of the sky like a stone. No chance of anybody surviving that kind of impact. Aeroplanes always have a chance of gliding back down to the ground, which gives some possiblity of survival.

I used to think that to but have learned about this recently.

https://youtu.be/pL1-QH7eQAY

Jupiter
04-10-2016, 05:41 PM
I used to think that to but have learned about this recently.

https://youtu.be/pL1-QH7eQAY

But if the rotor blades break, it will drop like a stone.

phuxachemin
04-10-2016, 09:36 PM
I was on the West Phoenix in 2013 and on the Thursday we got a talk from Total and chopper pilots assuring us of the safety of the EC225 and now they were back in service. The next day an EC225 chopper went down and 4 were killed. That same chopper I traveled to the rig on 3 days prior. The chopper had a morning trip on the fateful day to the West Phoenix first before its trip to the Borgsten.

Pacman1903
05-10-2016, 05:26 AM
There is a BP big wig on here just now and he cornered me and asked my thoughts on marine mobilization. He was telling me about Totals and BPs audit and that Exxon have also banned air mobilization. So if 3 of the big operators here banned choppers here (before that crash last week) there was obviously serious issues. Ill take the boat any day even though is a nightmare logistically (extra days travel onto my 28 days plus no sleep for 2 days)

Rather be alive

Buc
05-10-2016, 10:07 AM
But if the rotor blades break, it will drop like a stone.

Can't argue with that.

scobiemacd
05-10-2016, 03:14 PM
There is a BP big wig on here just now and he cornered me

Sounds like quite aggressive behaviour Pac. Stick the heid oan the pr1ck.

Pacman1903
05-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Sounds like quite aggressive behaviour Pac. Stick the heid oan the pr1ck.

He sounds like Del Preston from Waynes World 2 so I have to hold in my laugh as all I hear when he speaks is

"I had to beat them to death with their own shoes"

Pacman1903
07-10-2016, 03:07 PM
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/super-puma-north-sea-flight-ban-lifted/

Super Pumas flying again in a sky near you soon. Until the next crash that is

Skacel
07-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Apparently still grounded in UK - so that's good.

Pacman1903
07-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Apparently still grounded in UK - so that's good.

But for how long. Its all about the money min

Buc
07-10-2016, 07:28 PM
But for how long. Its all about the money min

It is indeed when it comes to oil money is first .

Pacman1903
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
It is indeed when it comes to oil money is first .

Exaxtly. When i was in my old job i was on a rig (Taqa operated). The pumas had just went back up after the Shetland crash. There was the usual town hall meeting on Sunday. The words that came out of a Taqa big wigs who was on board says it all and i wont forget as he said them with such force

"you are more than welcome to voice you concerns over the use of 225s and if you dont board them thats fine but you will not be paid and someone else will board it in your place with the money you would have earned"

No beating around the bush from him

Pacman1903
09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Told today by the OIM 225s going back up here but BP (and Total)have told them to ram it. Good stuff

Also UK and Norway have told the European Aviation Authority to ram it too as they think the investigations into Norway and 2009 were half asses and proved nothing

Pacman1903
22-10-2016, 08:13 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37738915

And another oil and gas related one one in Russia.