PDA

View Full Version : Can Stubbs be replaced?

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 06:43 AM
It's not immediately clear that he can be. Firstly, there are the cost implications of his contract. Secondly, who is available to do a better job? Thirdly, no one - including by now TS himself - can have any confidence in our chairman's ability to appoint the right man. Fourthly, there's no money to improve the squad and technical changes to the loan system complicate matters anyway. Gregory in in January for £2m - you're having a larf.

The reality is that we are screwed this season. Partly due to AS but also in large part due to wider ineptitude throughout the club as evidenced by the Warnock "will he, won't he" farce, the laughable pre-season, the daft trip to Poland and the completely hopeless transfer negotiations.

TS's problem now is not to keep us up but to maintain the fan base at a decent level. If he gets shot of Stubbs he can't do this with another no-hoper. He only has two options that might stir a bit of enthusiasm among fans. Steve Evans or Ronnie Moore. Bring in one of these, give them some decent cash in January and TS might be able to hold crowds at 7000 and get a few believers to renew next season.

Watch this space.

gwru
19-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Monty sure they'll be something in Stubbs & co's contract were if results go wrong you don't have to pay the full contract up. Somebody on here said Refearn got paid 13 weeks wages. Don't know if that's true.

New manager need him in straight away. No going through applications, interviews. Steve Evans yes if TS & him can work out there differences. Ronnie no. I'd personally go for Kenny Jackett.

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 07:12 AM
gwru, you may well be right? An alternative strategy for TS is to hand this out at home games.

leedsmiller
19-10-2016, 08:06 AM
'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...' well, certainly at the NYS and it's not just one individual or half the team it's the total package, from top to bottom. There's a general, deep-set and extensive malaise that is pervading the club in its entirety. Nobody seems to have a clue, about forward planning, about management, about recruitment - about Championship football. And the amount of bullsh*t we've been expected to digest could fill the stadium twice over. Of course I'm angry and disillusioned but I'm part of what must now be a vast majority. Even perennial and adamant happy clappers have seen the light and crossed the floor of the house.

Where we go from here is anybody's guess. League 1 almost certainly. But it's the long-term financial implications of relegation that will hit hardest once we've absorbed the superficial and short-term ignominy and embarrassment. A new manager is a must, if only to bring an end to the disastrous Stubbs era and to give us a modicum of renewed hope. A change at the top is not imperative in terms of personnel but it certainly is in terms of strategy. We need football people, Championship experienced people involved on a day to day basis exercising a root and branch overhaul of the club alongside dedicated, knowledgeable, professional administrators. Above all we need investment. Sensible investment, not investment that will return us to the bleak days of begging buckets but investment that will look beyond penny-pinching individual transactions and take cognisance of the bigger picture, what we stand to lose in terms of income, advertising revenue, television rights... if we don't do all we can to preserve our Championship status. At the moment we're giving up without a fight - and this is not the Rotherham United I've known and loved for over half a century.

great_fire
19-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Well I wanted Chris Wilder and we went for Warnock, and yes he kept us up but now he's gone, Wilder would have been a better long-term bet.

frogmiller
19-10-2016, 08:36 AM
It's clear that we need cover up front but it's clearer to me that if were to spend £1m on a player it needs to be a central defender. A Captain, a talker who can put what ever plan Stubbs has from his Nutters Systems hand book into practice at the back.

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 08:44 AM
It's clear that we need cover up front but it's clearer to me that if were to spend £1m on a player it needs to be a central defender. A Captain, a talker who can put what ever plan Stubbs has from his Nutters Systems hand book into practice at the back.

I think you're right, Frog. The defence is all at sea. We don't look bad going forward and our first goal was top class.

millertop
19-10-2016, 09:13 AM
I would say no at first thought, still a part of me think he can get it right but he needs to get it right NOW.
some players are not blameless either.

whoever we did fetch in will still have the same players until January so still no guarantee of points.

he's gone according to some on twitter, if that's true then I hope TS had a replacement on standby.

kempo
19-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Monty and Leeds are spot on so this makes things almost impossible although impossible is not a concept that I work with.

The problem is that we never seem to change which brings me back to my Neurolinguistic Programming mantra...If you don't change how you do things then don't be surprised if the outcomes are the same.

So what shall we do immediately and desperately.

A manager change should be NOW and only two choices Hursty or bring Evans in short term for a another 'Warnock'

Longer term,get me and monty in to advise how to run the club..First off..Get rid of the 'Technical Commitee'

shshsh22
19-10-2016, 09:15 AM
I dont believe TS wants to replace AS.I think he realises that we cant afford to play in this league,and is quite happy being a biggish fish in a smaller pond.
Thats the only conclusion i can come to after the appaling pre season preparation,and the Becchio-esque signing of injured and unfit players.

kempo
19-10-2016, 09:20 AM
I agree shhh2

The pre season including that utterly pathetic trip to Poland has not been explained.

Radio Sheffield should do their job and instead of constant praise for TS ask him to explain the pre season and ask him who was responsible for making decisions such as Poland!

We need to change how we do things from top to bottom

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 09:26 AM
I agree shhh2

The pre season including that utterly pathetic trip to Poland has not been explained.

Radio Sheffield should do their job and instead of constant praise for TS ask him to explain the pre season and ask him who was responsible for making decisions such as Poland!

Well, both you and I questioned the sanity of the Poland trip repeatedly on here before it happened. Radio Sheffield is not alone and all the local media have failed to hold the club to account; instead they act like cheerleaders. Pathetic that we never got the inside on the Evans saga or the warnock negotiations. The club is utterly contemptuous of us fans.

PeteWaller
19-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Agree with the comments made.. I was a happy clapper and I have crossed the floor. I get that we won't compete financially and that planning for the future most certainly involved a "youngster" strategy. I thought that meant blooding the young ones in slowly alongside more experienced, getting towards the end of their playing days players. We have had, en mass, young bloods thrown in at the deep end who are simply not strong enough. Our CBs have been bullied every game and in Wilson, yet again, we have invested in a crock who inspires a anything but confidence so any of our young hopefuls will learn nothing from him. Broady has been absent but imo should have worn his tracksuit and got in that dug out to encourage the players. Without him, we are struggling for a leader . This is a team of individuals managed by a recluse type of manager who scuttles back to his dugout where he hides and feels the most comfortable. Frecks is a great captain and leads from the front but he is not a shouter. We need a player who will let every player around him know that if he doesn’t put a shift in he will get a kick up the arse. A keano type player can inspire the young and motivate the experienced.
Off the field, we have been woeful. We couldn’t offer Warnock what he wanted and we took an age to get second choice Stubbs. We then go to Poland for a pre season introduction to each other? Poland, honestly? The club baffles the fans as far as potential signings are concerned and we release players on higher wages to make way for new, raw, untried or out of favour youngsters who use our club to earn their corn and try and resurrect their failing careers. There is no cohesion, spirit or tactical know how coming from anywhere.
The new extra TV money has done what exactly?
We have no scouting system.
The new training facilities will no doubt linger in planning or be lost in meetings disguised again in some way and peter out no doubt within a camouflage of financial obscurity.
The statements made about the extension to increase the ground capacity were a joke. There was never any serious plan to extend was there? Surely just another carrot to try and increase season ticket sales.
There is no plan.
AS repeatedly comes out with the same old rubbish. Can I suggest we record one interview and at the press conferences press the replay button every time.
UTM

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Peter, your stance does you credit. As J. M. Keynes said; "When the facts change I change my mind." You also give a good summation of our plight.

vespabri
19-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Well i'll hold my hands up and admit i was wrong, i was pleased when we brought Stubbs in & i hate patching up & chopping & changing managers but yes he has to go...
It could all come crashing down so very quickly and we could very easily end up in league 2 if wer'e not careful..i'm so amgry at TS for spouting ahyte for god knows how long now and expecting us fans to believe every word he says(some still do sadly)..Jackett till the end of the season then MAYBE Hursty.
Tbh i'd even take Evans back or Ronnie for the experience they have...can't believe ive just said that.
I do think Fisher,Ball,Vaulks & (for gods sake can we play Thorpe,yes i know he's at Bolton) will make crackin players though.
As for Wilson..Kelly..Forster caskey & Allen , well i'll not comment on them because theyre not worth a comment.

lbj
19-10-2016, 10:17 AM
I have read a lot of these post and quite frankly the phrase comes to mind....

"The empty shell makes the loudest noise"

There are ( thank God ) only a few of you lot getting deeper and deeper into a KKK type hate complex - based on nothing more than FEAR & FRUSTRATION.

And as the KKK - the fear is based on ignorance !

What I am NOT hearing is where would you have put your 30 MILLION PLUS POUNDS and how YOU would do things better ?

You all talk as if you KNOW BETTER !

But YOU don't have any information to make these decisions !

Not one of you know anything about running a pub team let alone a professional team in one of the toughest leagues in the WORLD !

Just take a step back and read some of your comments !

Some boast of going to rainy nights at the DVS.....then talk mutiny to TS - to whom some "supporter's" will be eternally grateful.

This thread is full of rhetoric about the club - from top to bottom - and it's laughable.....TS has made decisions that would turn your s##t white !

You have no idea !

Personally I don't give a dam about what you rant about - the benign rantings of some fans is frankly astonishing !

Vote with your feet - be a 'Brian the Blade' and get your placards ready....

Simple as that - don't go !

I am looking forward to Saturday and the Reading game....great stadium - great seat - championship football....

I appreciate what the club has done for this town and I am PROUD to be a part of it.....

You all will be sorely missed !

frogmiller
19-10-2016, 10:21 AM
lbj

I have'nt read all of your post yet lbj but within the first two paragraphs you have mentioned the KKK as if you have personel knowledge of each poster on here!

Please refrain from this particular insult on this forum.

Consider this a moderators warning

PeteWaller
19-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Well i'll hold my hands up and admit i was wrong, i was pleased when we brought Stubbs in & i hate patching up & chopping & changing managers but yes he has to go...
It could all come crashing down so very quickly and we could very easily end up in league 2 if wer'e not careful..i'm so amgry at TS for spouting ahyte for god knows how long now and expecting us fans to believe every word he says(some still do sadly)..Jackett till the end of the season then MAYBE Hursty.
Tbh i'd even take Evans back or Ronnie for the experience they have...can't believe ive just said that.
I do think Fisher,Ball,Vaulks & (for gods sake can we play Thorpe,yes i know he's at Bolton) will make crackin players though.
As for Wilson..Kelly..Forster caskey & Allen , well i'll not comment on them because theyre not worth a comment.

It is hard Bri but the facts speak for themselves. This is a shambles. Agree with you that Wilson, Kelly, Forster Caskey, Allan can all go.

Fisher is a dream find so at least we have him.

lbj
19-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Frog - are you suggesting that you know something we don't ?

Likening "attitudes" is NOT a yellow card!

How many posters have you now....?

A pittyfull amount.....and the site does sell media space based on registered posters - we'll scrub my name off now !

The same names - the same rubbish !

You all can fit in a VERY SMALL room and have a lovely meeting together !

UTM !

flourbasher
19-10-2016, 10:48 AM
There's a huge irony at RUFC.
We all thought our problem would be lack of decent strikers and goals would be sparse. We seem to be ok in that dept
However it's the defense that's the problem and it's not getting any better. Half decent defenders are probably the easiest positions to fill. No frills, just close them down and deal with the ball if it gets through. Simple. You would have thought that was well within AS's gift taking into account his playing days

I don't agree that Stuart Gray is the man and Les and I exchange a difference of opinion every time he's mentioned. He got lucky in his tenure at S6

frogmiller
19-10-2016, 11:00 AM

A pittyfull amount.....and the site does sell media space based on registered posters - we'll scrub my name off now !

UTM !

Being asked to stop calling people KKK and warned not to do it again should not cause this much upset for you.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
19-10-2016, 11:08 AM
This is one of the poorest leagues in the world I know that in terms of quality, so, so much money flushed down the toilet. Not arguing it's not tough but it doesn't have to be as tough if you make the right decisions. If I was struggling with something I didn't know enough about I'd get in help from someone who knew things inside out to ensure I didn't repeat the same mistakes and end up costing myself in more ways than one.

UTM!

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
19-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Bye. :)

Fensmiller
19-10-2016, 11:13 AM

There are ( thank God ) only a few of you lot getting deeper and deeper into a KKK type hate complex - based on nothing more than FEAR & FRUSTRATION.

What I am NOT hearing is where would you have put your 30 MILLION PLUS POUNDS and how YOU would do things better ?

Not one of you know anything about running a pub team let alone a professional team in one of the toughest leagues in the WORLD !

Some boast of going to rainy nights at the DVS.....then talk mutiny to TS - to whom some "supporter's" will be eternally grateful.

This thread is full of rhetoric about the club - from top to bottom - and it's laughable.....TS has made decisions that would turn your s##t white !

You have no idea !

Personally I don't give a dam about what you rant about - the benign rantings of some fans is frankly astonishing !

I am looking forward to Saturday and the Reading game....great stadium - great seat - championship football....

I appreciate what the club has done for this town and I am PROUD to be a part of it.....

Just take a step back and look at the Championship table, look at the goal difference, look at the results, look at the performances...........

What cant speak cant lie. Its all there to see

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Lbj, you should calm down. It is a forum for opinions after all. I suspect from what I hear and see that discontent is fairly widespread among supporters. Views on here are pretty mild and generally reasoned and I haven't noticed any "malign (or even benign) rantings". Most people on here will continue to go to games but many other fans will pack it in if things continue as they are and your hectoring won't bring them back.

Brin
19-10-2016, 11:45 AM

You have no idea !

You come across as a very emotional person or is it because you're related to the Stuart's in some way?

Every sentence finished with a !!!!!

Telling fans to keep away be a Brian the Blade and get the placards out.... that's a very highly charged statement and totally uncalled for....

We are the paying fan so have a democratic right to voice our opinion if we so choose to do so....

Pick your dummy up go and take two paracetamol and lie in a darkened room for a couple of hours you'll feel much better for it...

I'm sure Dr Kempo would agree on this occasion..... see you Saturday or maybe not 😉

millertop
19-10-2016, 02:35 PM
I would say no at first thought, still a part of me think he can get it right but he needs to get it right NOW.
some players are not blameless either.

whoever we did fetch in will still have the same players until January so still no guarantee of points.

he's gone according to some on twitter, if that's true then I hope TS had a replacement on standby.

So Twitter nerds were right this morning then.

mellowmiller
19-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Ibj, why do we have to be eternally grateful TS?
How many more times do you want us to thank him for what he's done before we can move on?
We know the man has done wonders for our club in the past but he's made so many mistakes this season and been economical with the truth, so supporters are entitled to voice their concerns.
I guess most of us don't want to desert the club but we do want to see some positive action by the chairman to get us out of the mess he has helped to create.
I too am very happy with my seat in our wonderful stadium but the only Championship football I have seen this season has been played by the opposition.
People who think performances are improving are deluding themselves. If anything our defence is getting worse and we have now lost 6 games in a row and are rock bottom, 6 points adrift of safety.
Tony Stewart appointed a manager with no Championship experience who is clearly out of his depth at this level
We have been without a Head of Recruitment since before the transfer window closed and this responsibility has been added to Stubbs's workload.
These are just a couple of examples but so much seems wrong about the way the club is being run that it shouldn't surprise anyone that supporters are starting to have a go at the chairman.
I am surprised and disappointed that Stubbs is still our manager as he has got us into a downward spiral that he doesn't know how to stop.
Please put him out of his misery Mr Stewart and start rebuilding bridges with the dwindling support base before it's too late.

millavanilla
19-10-2016, 03:47 PM
I agree shhh2

I agree with you about poland kempo..they should have gone to brid...they could have trained running up north landing and then had a nice steak and pasta in the ship at sewerby on the way back...the pissss is average but at 2 quid a pint you cant grumble so tony would have been well in pocket.. XD

CAMiller
19-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Not sure if the 3 months notice (pay out) applies to our managerial contracts but TS doesn't seem to be a business novice so hopefully he manages to save himself some money that way because his last two long term appointments have been abject.

Only one way out of this mess. Spend the money for your next 2-3 year contract on getting the right man for just the next 33 games - Big 'Honest' Sam.

monty_rhodes
19-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Not sure if the 3 months notice (pay out) applies to our managerial contracts but TS doesn't seem to be a business novice so hopefully he manages to save himself some money that way because his last two long term appointments have been abject.

Only one way out of this mess. Spend the money for your next 2-3 year contract on getting the right man for just the next 33 games - Big 'Honest' Sam.

I was going to make an observation but UK libel laws prevent me.

Ellis_D
20-10-2016, 10:11 PM

You have no idea !

lbj, you are an absolute kn0bhead. I am bored of reading your sh1te. If you are wondering why people might stop posting on here, you are absolutely my main reason for dreading coming on here. I don't mind people being negative, and I love people being positive about the club. But what I dislike about you is your ridiculous cheerleading, so extreme that has often made me think you are a parody. Sadly, I have found you are not.

We are all Millers but the way you constantly berate other forumers for having an opinion that differs to yours seriously irks me. Your constant defence of Alan Stubbs and his formula would be laughable if it weren't so sad. The majority of forumers have been able to see for quite some time that the only way we are going under Stubbs is down. But you have defended him to the hilt, to a quite bizarre level.

Now he has gone, rather than apologise and admit you were wrong all along (Tony Stewart finally caught up, but you can't) you still slate other Millers.

In fact, Mods, thinking about it, no-one can be this much of a deluded t1t. He must be, as some have already suggested previously, a wind up merchant, a DeeDar, just an idiot in general. I genuinely think he should be banned from the forum.

Ellis_D
20-10-2016, 10:14 PM

UTM !

PLEASE let this post be real! We might not have many forumers, we might sometimes fall out with each other, but you are just a massive bore. You won't be missed. Close the door on your way out.