PDA

View Full Version : Who Was In The BBs

Pacman1903
13-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Following on from another thread. Simply, who was in it.

I was in the Anchor Boys then went up to Junior section then jacked it to concentrate on fitba.

Now that i think about it, marching, church, union jacks, singing,camping with creepy mannies in Finzean. I really wish i wasnt in it.

Aldo1983
13-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Also in the anchor boys but jacked it before the step up. The BBs were a "respectable" orange order.

Rochead
13-11-2016, 08:34 PM
In the Life Boys, I assume that was the forerunner of the anchor boys.

Disco Buc
13-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Also in the anchor boys but jacked it before the step up. The BBs were a "respectable" orange order.

Lol very true.

Was in the Northfield's beehive club 63rd boys brigade and boy didn't we march up union street with other groups participating was about 10yr old 48 years ago. Oh ma heid.:?

Jupiter
14-11-2016, 06:58 PM
I was in the junior BBs but I refused to join the senior BBs because the guy who ran it was a nutter.

Aldo1983
14-11-2016, 07:33 PM
I was in the junior BBs but I refused to join the senior BBs because the guy who ran it was a nutter.

Plenty of them were. Queen loving Huns.

RealPompeyDon
14-11-2016, 07:42 PM
I was in it from the age of about 11 until I discovered Tennent's Lager at approximately 14. Got to play football for the team, not a very pleasurable experience as one player was the nephew of Alex MacDonald of the filth. He thought he was Pele, but was just an orange pr!ck, who was always giving me a tough time. One guy on the team was a certain Greg Wylde's father, Gordon. Another guy went on to play for Morton.

Went on a couple of camps, first night would always entail a very long march, whilst the officers went through our things looking for bongo mags and cigs. Looking back it was a good laugh, I suppose, but very, very orange.

scobiemacd
15-11-2016, 12:22 AM
I used to really enjoy it. The football leagues were always great in my day and getting to represent your district was a real honour.
The times seemed more innocent and a lot of young fellows these days simply dismiss it as 'gay' without actually attending and taking part in half naked physical activity with fully grown men.

DonUnder
15-11-2016, 12:43 AM
I used to really enjoy it. The football leagues were always great in my day and getting to represent your district was a real honour.
The times seemed more innocent and a lot of young fellows these days simply dismiss it as 'gay' without actually attending and taking part in half naked physical activity with fully grown men.

Getting to play fitba was the only reason for me and the Orangeness wasn't an undertone it was a full three system topcoat with fluorescent stripes. Looking back it was strange how those blazered wanna be "officers" always seemed to be coming through the changing rooms when a bunch of skinny ****agers were sans markies indestructibles.

Jupiter
15-11-2016, 06:00 PM
We never got to play football or do anything outside.

Pacman1903
15-11-2016, 06:05 PM
We never got to play football or do anything outside.

I didnt get fitba or anything ootside bar the sh@tty marching

stewarty27
15-11-2016, 08:37 PM
CUB'S Ya Bassa's :mad:

Mason89
15-11-2016, 08:45 PM
We had a great football team, mainly because I wasn't in it.

Pacman1903
15-11-2016, 10:02 PM
CUB'S Ya Bassa's :mad:

Where boys definatley got touched

theram1975
16-11-2016, 01:11 AM
I joined the BB's at 16, think it was on a Tuesday night and all we did was play indoor football and pool, darts etc. I don't ever remember any hunnish goings on.

At the weekends we played fitba on Saturdays and snooker/pool comps on a Sunday with some golf during the week.

Also went on a weeks holiday to Amsterdam just after I turned 18 and was due to leave. What a week that was.

I loved the BB's. :D

neilthedon
16-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Where boys definatley got touched

I WAS IN Cubs, then Scouts. So maybe that's why I always viewd the BBs with suspicion ? They were the competition .
Never , never understood the appeal of wearing the quasi fascist uniforms and marching in pipe bands.cEven as a tong lad I considered that foreign, and yes, uncomfortably Hunnish.b( just didn't know the word back then. ). But I was going to Pittodrie at the same time , and perhaps this is an implanted retrospective memory ; but always connected the weird behaviour of the weenies with the weird behaviour of the BBs.

Touched up in Cubs ?? I wish Pacman. Akela was Affa bonnie !!!

neilthedon
16-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Cancel the word " tong" !!! I pad spell correct error . don't know how " young " became tong. Nothing to do with Hilton !!!

57vintage
17-11-2016, 04:18 PM
"In his book 'Tartan Gangs and Paramilitaries: The Loyalist Backlash', Gareth Mulvenna tells the story of young men who were members of Protestant gangs in the early years of the troubles and in doing so he adds detail to the connections that exercised Home Secretary Jim Callaghan and others. A number of those interviewed for the book later joined the loyalist paramilitary groups as the IRA’s terrorist campaign wrought terrible damage on working-class Protestant communities that had previously been characterised by institutions offering a set of values and a pathway by which to progress in life. The sense of societal breakdown was heightened in communities sensitive to the prospect of betrayal, programmed to be territorial and in which martial values were inculcated starting with membership of the Boys Brigade."

www.scottishreview.net/AlasdairMcKillop95a.html?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-366362-Football+and+fighting

ILikeJam
21-11-2016, 02:09 PM
I was in the BBs from about 5 to 18 (leaving around 2000ish with my Queen's badge) and look back on it very fondly and am still good friends with a lot of 'boys' and officers. This was in the east central belt and I never once got any hint of hunnishness/orangeness about it. Don't confuse huns infiltrating sections and using them to suit their agenda with the organisation as a whole being hun c*nts.

Yes there was the religious side which I'm not too keen on and generally stared off into space for, but it was a small price to pay for all the football, pool, darts, camping trips we all got to go on.

Maybe I was just in one of the good companies?

Pacman1903
21-11-2016, 02:16 PM
I was in the BBs from about 5 to 18 (leaving around 2000ish with my Queen's badge) and look back on it very fondly and am still good friends with a lot of 'boys' and officers. This was in the east central belt and I never once got any hint of hunnishness/orangeness about it. Don't confuse huns infiltrating sections and using them to suit their agenda with the organisation as a whole being hun c*nts.

Yes there was the religious side which I'm not too keen on and generally stared off into space for, but it was a small price to pay for all the football, pool, darts, camping trips we all got to go on.

Maybe I was just in one of the good companies?

Did you get to go to Finzean?

Disco Buc
21-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Cancel the word " tong" !!! I pad spell correct error . don't know how " young " became tong. Nothing to do with Hilton !!!

Remember them when walking home on a Saturday night was like a scene oot the warriors .:O

ILikeJam
22-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Did you get to go to Finzean?

Nah - I've missed oot.

However on various occasions I did get to Ben More, Pitlochry, Arran and the jewel in the crown - Sheffield.