PDA

View Full Version : Is meadow lane to good for league 2 ?

1862-pie
23-11-2016, 07:06 AM
This is the only thing I can think of for being the reason to our woeful home form over the last 5 years. Players from other clubs who are used to playing at dumps like Accrington, morecambe and Exeter etc don't usually have the privilege of playing in a nice stadium and on a nice pitch on a weekly basis, so when ever teams come to meadow lane, they up there game as the place is like Wembley to what there used to.
Sheff united suffer with the same problem. I work with a Stoke fan and I was having this convo with him 2 weeks ago and he fully agreed to what I was saying as Stoke used to have the same problem about 12 years ago

nw6pie
23-11-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure if playing in front of 3,000 people in a stadium that's the emptiest, percentage-wise, in the entire Football League is such an enticing prospect for a footballer, to be honest. Our stadium is probably on a par with, say, Plymouth and Portsmouth's, but it's hardly the Wembley of the East Midlands - give me the undeveloped Meadow Lane and my terrace space on the old County Road side any day.

irishpete
23-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Absolute rubbish.Pi$S poor for an excuse.Why don,t the players we sign perform then?,most have come from grounds that are "dumps"as you call them.

1862-pie
23-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Absolute rubbish.Pi$S poor for an excuse.Why don,t the players we sign perform then?,most have come from grounds that are "dumps"as you call them.
Because they have become complacent?

irishpete
23-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Because they have become complacent?

If they have become complacent that quick,they have the wrong attitude,but I suppose that is modern day football.
Who is chief Scout at the club nowdays?

1862-pie
23-11-2016, 08:02 AM
If they have become complacent that quick,they have the wrong attitude,but I suppose that is modern day football.
Footballers do have the wrong attitude pal in every division in every league in the world. They couldn't care if the preform or not or if they play or not as they know there going still be getting there wage at the end of the each month as they have a contract

BigFatPie
23-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I'd say our home form since the re development has generally been poor, hindsight says it was ridiculous building a 20,000+ capacity ground especially after selling all your best players.

Since then it has been a vicious circle of no atmosphere, poor results, low crowds, poor atmosphere.

legs77
23-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Obviously the ground is too big for us now but the reason people generally go season after season is that the tide may turn and we could be two divisions higher.

We won't go anywhere with these clowns running the club that much is obvious the sooner they go the better, they have zero leadership qualities.

Its not worth wasting your anger on them they aren't worth it if we go down we go down there is more to life only difference being we will get hammered by Halifax / Dover instead of Barnet / Cambridge not really much difference.

manciniwantedmillions
23-11-2016, 11:31 AM
The size of the ground is not a problem, the pitch is all they need to concentrate on and it's the same size for everyone...

MAD_MAGPIE
23-11-2016, 01:06 PM
The ground is one positive for me and where the advantage lies for Notts for people with drive and ambition who want to take the club forward. They do not need to spend vast quantities of money on the ground and it's infrastructure. It just needs maintaining.

That's got to be a big positive for someone who could then concentrate on injecting funds into the playing side.

manciniwantedmillions
23-11-2016, 01:14 PM
One option i think Notts have missed out on and what RT was sort of promising, The pitch... we need to get one of them 4g pitches which as grass as well as artificial, that way we can train on the pitch, get used to the surroundings and learn to play good passing football.

If Basford can do it... so should we

nw6pie
23-11-2016, 02:28 PM
One option i think Notts have missed out on and what RT was sort of promising, The pitch... we need to get one of them 4g pitches which as grass as well as artificial, that way we can train on the pitch, get used to the surroundings and learn to play good passing football.

If Basford can do it... so should we

They're not allowed in the Football League. Luckily for us, though, they are allowed in the National League...

manciniwantedmillions
23-11-2016, 02:35 PM
They're not allowed in the Football League. Luckily for us, though, they are allowed in the National League...

We best get planning for one then

kraftPIE
23-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Meadow lane is a big ground butt big bloody scrufty dump

Elite_Pie
23-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Meadow lane is a big ground butt big bloody scrufty dump

Any chance of that in English?

karl wheatly
23-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Surely the question should be, is Meadow Lane too good for the Vanarama National League, aka the Conference !

kraftPIE
23-11-2016, 07:45 PM
This is the only thing I can think of for being the reason to our woeful home form over the last 5 years. Players from other clubs who are used to playing at dumps like Accrington, morecambe and Exeter etc don't usually have the privilege of playing in a nice stadium and on a nice pitch on a weekly basis, so when ever teams come to meadow lane, they up there game as the place is like Wembley to what there used to.
Sheff united suffer with the same problem. I work with a Stoke fan and I was having this convo with him 2 weeks ago and he fully agreed to what I was saying as Stoke used to have the same problem about 12 years ago

Don't talk like a fanny for petes sake

1862-pie
23-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Don't talk like a fanny for petes sake

You wouldn't know what a fanny is

frenchmagpie
23-11-2016, 08:06 PM
butt big bloody scrufty dump

I think that describes most of your posts

morningken
13-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Who actually owns the ground & the prime land it sits on? Hardy?

slack_pie
13-01-2019, 06:57 AM
The ground is one positive for me and where the advantage lies for Notts for people with drive and ambition who want to take the club forward. They do not need to spend vast quantities of money on the ground and it's infrastructure. It just needs maintaining.

That's got to be a big positive for someone who could then concentrate on injecting funds into the playing side.

That's my view, too. Our home form has been **** mostly because we've had **** players. Last season our home form was decent, and we struggled away.

Sure, 20k is too big for L2 (or lower), and we usually only fill a third of it if we're lucky, but it gives us a big advantage over other clubs who's grounds would limit their progress. ML was built to be a Championship stadium, but unfortunately we had to sell our best players to fund it, and the rest is history.

There is so much potential at Notts. The infrastructure is there, and the fans will come if there's something good to watch. But unfortunately for us, we've been run into the ground over the last decade. Now we risk slipping off the radar completely. It's a tragedy.

nay123
13-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Complacent about what being ****

nay123
13-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Who actually owns the ground & the prime land it sits on? Hardy?
Nottingham City council notts just rent it for the next 3 seasons

i961pie
13-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Then why do teams you mention like Accrington find it easy to play on our pitch against us?

countygump
13-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Then why do teams you mention like Accrington find it easy to play on our pitch against us?

Blaming the ground is about on par with blaming the Gypo's curse!!!

Bad recruitment, poor organisation, constant manger changes and our continual habit of chucking good money after bad has got us where we are. Ironing is, spent in the right way, Bigguss Allus cheque book is about the only thing that has a chance of saving us!!!

Bridg4d_Pie_
13-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Surely the question should be, is Meadow Lane too good for the Vanarama National League, aka the Conference !

I think a question that only Big Al should answer is :-

Does he think the money he spent on the Premiership styled Dressing Room has had the desired effect on our players that he envisaged when he paid for its construction.

jackal2
13-01-2019, 12:02 PM

It has occurred to me that since we built the new stadium we've had relatively few 'good' seasons at home, but there have been some. We had solid home form under Sam Allardyce in 1997/98, we blitzed teams at Meadow Lane during the Munto season, and for the first 12 months under Kevin Nolan our home form was very strong again. So we can be strong at home when the team is good enough.

However, it may be true that when the team is already struggling, the acoustics of our 'new' stadium make the players particularly aware of the criticism and anger coming from the stands, perhaps further inhibiting their performance, while the vocal support of visiting fans is equally amplified and lifts their players more than it would in other older, more open stadiums. But even if this is true, these are professional footballers and they should be able to deal with it.

jackal2
13-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Bad recruitment, poor organisation, constant manger changes and our continual habit of chucking good money after bad has got us where we are.

Without doubt, this is the root cause of our problems.

Big Bob
13-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Well it's the same for both teams playing, so what's our excuse again? Your teams with smaller grounds like Accrington thrive when they play us at Meadow lane so why can't we?

ancientpie
13-01-2019, 04:46 PM
I think a question that only Big Al should answer is :-

Does he think the money he spent on the Premiership styled Dressing Room has had the desired effect on our players that he envisaged when he paid for its construction.

I would like to ask AH & past owners if they think that selling the club to potential players & managers on us being a "sleeping giant who have a fantastic ground & facilities" is working or is it actually attracting the type of player & manager who think that we are "to good to go down"& have some sort of divine right to win games without putting in the effort?

Freeman25
13-01-2019, 05:21 PM
It's definitely a nice day out for away teams and a ground players in League 2 probably look forward to playing at compared to some of the dumps in this league but Coventry didn't seem to find it much of a problem getting promoted last season and the Ricoh is the best stadium League 2 has ever seen.

We also had a great year in 2017 at Meadow Lane didn't we? So it wasn't an issue then

durhampie
13-01-2019, 08:38 PM

I think you will find that most pitches in div 2 are equally as good as ours, and in some cases actually better. Its only the surrounds that are inferior...

nw6pie
13-01-2019, 09:15 PM
I think you will find that most pitches in div 2 are equally as good as ours, and in some cases actually better. Its only the surrounds that are inferior...

Indeed, thought the pitch was pretty poor yesterday, especially in front of the Main Stand - but that's the age-old problem of no sunlight reaching the grass. Have we given up on the cannabis lighting rigs now? Or are we using them to actually grow cannabis and explore a new revenue stream?

They should definitely hand out medical marijuana as the fans come into the ground - help ease the pain of our blunt attacks a little.