PDA

View Full Version : Our Squad, Going Forward

AucklandRover
05-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Just for interest, I have set out our current options (without considering other very promising Under-18s):

GK: Steele/Raya/Fisher
RB: Nyambe/Henley/Lowe/Travis
CB: Greer/Hoban/Mulgrew/Ward/Lenihan/Brown/Wharton/Travis/Platt/Magloire **
LB: Williams/Hendrie/Lowe/Askew/Doyle
RM/RW: Feeney/Mahoney/Bennett/Thomson
DM: Lowe/Lenihan/Mulgrew/Akpan
Up-and-Down CM: Evans/Guthrie/Mulgrew/Akpan
Creative/Attacking CM: Tomlinson/Hardcastle/Rankin-Costello/Grayson
LM/LW: Conway/Bennett/Mahoney
CF: Graham/Gallagher/Emnes/Stokes/Joao/Mansell/Howarth

** Do we really need to sign another?

For this purpose, I have only included those with first-team squad numbers. Where a player is capable of playing in more than one position, I have included him twice.

It is a puzzle to me that we have signed another striker, and that we were looking to bring in an extra centre-half!
All of our creative midfielders, centrally, are youngsters, although I suppose Guthrie and Mulgrew could be included, at a push.
The future looks quite promising, but I find it hard to believe that we did not bring in an experienced creative player, even if it was only on loan or a one-year contract. That would surely have enhanced our survival prospects more than a dodgy, Celtic-reject centre-back!

EDIT: Actually, looking through that list again, it strikes me that we perhaps have too many versatile utility players, and not enough people who COMMAND a particular position.

Did you see that Scott Wharton was awarded "man-of-the-match" on his debut for Cambridge United?

robinrover
05-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Scott Wharton getting man of the match is no surprise he will be a decent player for us down the line
back to the rest of the thread if you pick at the bones of it we might have squad full of options however its a squad short of quality
this is why we are where we are.

Despair
05-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Another two 'crackers' by Tom Lawrence I note !!!

Despair
05-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Re: the thread, yes quite right quite a few 'utility type' players. That in effect can render them very much of a muchness!
What I crave is a born and bred midfield Dynamo with vision.
The through ball from CM to SG within his first 5 mins or so is just what's required .
As Aucks says when played the defender has to first turn to 'play it', and if our man is on his shoulder he holds the advantage to strike.

AucklandRover
05-02-2017, 10:48 PM
On current form, what about a "safer" team of:
Steele
Lowe Greer Lenihan Williams
Feeney Guthrie Akpan Mulgrew Mahoney
Gallagher
??

robinrover
06-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Conway or Bennett for mulgrew
mulgrew next to Guthrie and Bob's your uncle.

AucklandRover
06-02-2017, 07:44 PM
On a slightly different topic, we really need to get this lad, Daniel Butterworth, on a contract as soon as possible. He is obviously an absolutely natural goalscorer. Did you read the description of his latest goal?

Despair
06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Over to Senior? Lets see what he's made of.

AucklandRover
09-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Another excellent performance by the Development Team. Coming out on top against a full National League outfit is impressive.
It sounds as if the keeper, Fisher, was outstanding.
That made me think about Raya. It must be a strange life. He is not in that Under-23(21?) team any more, so he just sits on the bench for the first team. I know the money's good, but it must feel like treading water. Actually, because of the culls and the long-term injuries, we don't have as many outfield players in that situation as we used to. Brown and Stokes, perhaps?

robinrover
10-02-2017, 06:12 AM
It was a very good result aucks and really is a testament to just how great a job Johnson and Dunn are doing with the academy
if you look at the the team that played I would say at least half of them are knocking on the door of the senior team
excellent work and progress a real shinning light in the thick gloom.