PDA

View Full Version : The ones that got away

jvmiller
08-02-2017, 06:13 AM
With Omar Bogle hitting the ground running at Wigan, here's a trip down memory lane looking at other missed transfer targets that flourished at other clubs.

http://itsmillerstime.co.uk/rotherham-united-the-transfer-targets-that-got-away-and-flourished-elsewhere/

frogmiller
08-02-2017, 07:01 AM
That's like Bullseye when they roll out the speed boat!

Here's what you could have won.

wrinkly
08-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Jamie Vardy can be added to the list. He turned down a short term contract with us when he was at Stocksbridge - ended up at Halifax.

Cornish miller
08-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Having read Mr Stewart's statement ,he actually seams to be proud of the fact that he offered the staggering figure of £700,000 for Omar Bogle, why o why do we continue to chase targets for over a month and then right on the last hurdle repeatedly getting pipped by our closest rivals !
Tell you what does make the mind BOGGLE Is the fact that we could have sold Danny Ward , bought Bogle from Grimsby and still have been £1,000000 pound up on the deal !!!!!!! Absolutely unbelievable .

jolly_roger
08-02-2017, 11:50 AM
No matter what amount of fee and wages we offer more than 80% of available players wouldn't entertain moving to Rotherham, because of what it is, where it is and the reputation the town has "earned" in the last decade.

And it's not getting any better.

lbj
08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
You may be "Cornwall" but your selling Ward and buying Bogle idea is Yorkshire through and through.....

And Bogle like a whippet !...lol

millmoormagic
08-02-2017, 12:59 PM
No matter what amount of fee and wages we offer more than 80% of available players wouldn't entertain moving to Rotherham, because of what it is, where it is and the reputation the town has "earned" in the last decade.

And it's not getting any better.

I'd be genuinely amazed if players had anything other than money and terms in their minds when mulling over a move.....

jolly_roger
08-02-2017, 01:58 PM
A major factor yes, but as most players are under 35, those married are likely to have kids of school age so the delights of Rotherham in general and Rotherham schools have got to be a factor.

As for the area as a whole it's generally speaking a dump that's been dumped on.

millmoormagic
08-02-2017, 02:43 PM
A major factor yes, but as most players are under 35, those married are likely to have kids of school age so the delights of Rotherham in general and Rotherham schools have got to be a factor.

As for the area as a whole it's generally speaking a dump that's been dumped on.

Well, you know i'm gunna disagree!, there's some great schools in the area, some great countryside as well, Rotherham is not all bad at all, it's been booted from pillar to post but still has it's identity, i'll always look on the positive side of it, try and do the same Jolly now and again.

aussiemiller
08-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Having read Mr Stewart's statement ,he actually seams to be proud of the fact that he offered the staggering figure of £700,000 for Omar Bogle, why o why do we continue to chase targets for over a month and then right on the last hurdle repeatedly getting pipped by our closest rivals !
Tell you what does make the mind BOGGLE Is the fact that we could have sold Danny Ward , bought Bogle from Grimsby and still have been £1,000000 pound up on the deal !!!!!!! Absolutely unbelievable .

Utter cr@p....we would have swapped player for player.

50% sell on clause so if we sold for 2 million we would have got 1 million out of it. Swap a known quantity player worth 2 million plus for an unproven league 2 player for 1 million..... great thinking

gm_gm
08-02-2017, 04:15 PM

50% sell on clause so if we sold for 2 million we would have got 1 million out of it. Swap a known quantity player worth 2 million plus for an unproven league 2 player for 1 million..... great thinking

Get off that fence Aussie! :P

Ericsladkilnhurst
08-02-2017, 04:46 PM
James Hanson snippet at £150,000

aussiemiller
08-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Get off that fence Aussie! :P

Safest place to be atm gm-gm :P

The view is better up here and i don't get my feet dirty ;D

Not a happy clapper and i am not in the doom and gloom camp

Happy to sit awhile and hope things get better B)

Cornish miller
08-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Fair crack Aussie , but let's just see who the best proven player is in 12 months time !

dantpen
08-02-2017, 05:56 PM
I think it was Jonathan Veal who posted on twitter that the fee Wigan paid for Bogle could eventually rise to £3m. If thats true then Wigan looked to have panicked and paid over the odds.

In regards to players not wanting to live in Rotherham... I'd be willing to bet that most of our current crop don't live in Rotherham. More likely in Sheffield or further out.