great_fire
08-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Pretty sure Catcliffe is IN Rotherham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38906972

avondalemiller
08-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure Catcliffe is IN Rotherham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38906972

....didn't expect anything else from the BBC,... lazy journalism .......again.

millmoormagic
08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
On this i totally agree...already shoved a complaint in to the BBC

millmoormagic
08-02-2017, 10:52 PM
....didn't expect anything else from the BBC,... lazy journalism .......again.

It's not just lazy journalism though, if you read it the Uni spokeperson says it's great news for Sheffield, the Maclaren spokeperson say's theyre delighted to be in Sheffield, there's a bigger picture here...

great_fire
08-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Headline should be:

McLaren supercar chassis facility to come to Rotherham in £50m deal

And text should read:

The "world-class" facility will be built at the University of Sheffield's Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) in Rotherham.

great_fire
08-02-2017, 11:06 PM
It's not just lazy journalism though, if you read it the Uni spokeperson says it's great news for Sheffield, the Maclaren spokeperson say's theyre delighted to be in Sheffield, there's a bigger picture here...

Rolls Royce are already based there and it says Rotherham on their website.

millmoormagic
08-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Also just been on Look North.....no mention of Rotherham whatsoever....

lbj
08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Catcliffe shown within South Yorkshire
Population 1,766 (2001 Census)[1]
OS grid reference SK425885
Civil parish
Catcliffe
Metropolitan borough
Rotherham
Metropolitan county
South Yorkshire
Region
Yorkshire and the Humber
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town ROTHERHAM
Postcode district S60
Dialling code 01709
Police South Yorkshire
Fire South Yorkshire
Ambulance Yorkshire
EU Parliament Yorkshire and the Humber
UK Parliament
Rotherham
Website Catcliffe Parish Council

lbj
08-02-2017, 11:15 PM
Yes it's in Sheffield !

great_fire
08-02-2017, 11:54 PM
To be fair the manufacturing centre does have a Sheffield telephone number but people in Bolton/Goldthorpe (Barnsley) have Rotherham ones so that doesn't mean anything.

lbj
09-02-2017, 01:39 AM
As long as Rotherham people get interviews - that's all that matters.....however the whole of EU might just have a say in that.

No matter - the world's brightest are studying at Sheffield Universities and those jobs will be on their notice boards !

And that will never change !....But....

The EU open door problem - with 100,000's of young Europeans targeting ground level starter jobs ( mainly unskilled ) is the main reason the Brexit vote won - to protect these jobs for the vast majority of young Brit's.

Well that's the feedback I get from most Brexit - leave voters I've spoken to .....

gm_gm
09-02-2017, 08:24 AM
There bins are emptied by Rotherham council, they pay taxes to Rotherham.

The problem is the "brand" Rotherham is shot to pieces, any company with sense will say Sheffield, if they are based in Rotherham
They may say South Yorkshire.

Grist_To_The_Mill
09-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Many moons ago I worked at Catcliffe for a company called Willan Metals a chip restaurant now occupies the site. The company was a niche industry selling to major companies like Rolls Royce and Caterpillar. We made a quality product and we had no problem using Rotherham in the company address. Nobody thought we were in Sheffield there was no stigma being associated with Rotherham. Our reps sold world wide, it was never "near Sheffield" nor did they use " it's in South Yorkshire" in their dealings. It was Rotherham, no problem.

My my how things have changed.

millmoormagic
09-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Many moons ago I worked at Catcliffe for a company called Willan Metals a chip restaurant now occupies the site. The company was a niche industry selling to major companies like Rolls Royce and Caterpillar. We made a quality product and we had no problem using Rotherham in the company address. Nobody thought we were in Sheffield there was no stigma being associated with Rotherham. Our reps sold world wide, it was never "near Sheffield" nor did they use " it's in South Yorkshire" in their dealings. It was Rotherham, no problem.

My my how things have changed.

Rotherham's 'stigma' as you call it didn't shut the place down did it though, so what's your point?

gm_gm
09-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Rotherham's 'stigma' as you call it didn't shut the place down did it though, so what's your point?

C'mon MM we all know what the point is you have lived through it

millmoormagic
09-02-2017, 11:03 AM
C'mon MM we all know what the point is you have lived through it

Hold on a minute though GM, of course the place has gone through some horrid times, and still living it to some degree, but you can't try and blame everything on it, particularly when the place shut before any scandal hit, a bit disengenious that don't you think?

Grist_To_The_Mill
09-02-2017, 11:12 AM

No it didn't. For the record the company was acquired by a major Australian company. They amalgamated it with another company they owned to get the economies of running costs etc.

But to make it clear to you the stigma with the Rotherham name is entirely due to the recent child abuse, rape and other associated issues the town has experienced.

millmoormagic
09-02-2017, 11:25 AM
No it didn't. For the record the company was acquired by a major Australian company. They amalgamated it with another company they owned to get the economies of running costs etc.

But to make it clear to you the stigma with the Rotherham name is entirely due to the recent child abuse, rape and other associated issues the town has experienced.

Make it clear to me? what planet are you on? My point was, you stated about your previous place of work and somehow linked the stigma into it's closure, i pulled you on that point.

Grist_To_The_Mill
09-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Yes, make it clear to you.

My point was back then there was no stigma attached to the Rotherham name, folks didn't avoid saying they lived or worked in Rotherham. Now they do.

I can't really see how I can make that any simpler for you.

But maybe you just don't want to see the point?

millertop
09-02-2017, 11:55 AM
They all have Rotherham address and I'd say that some is down to snobbery and nothing to do with stigma.

Sheffield Uni has a lot to do with the park and I think that's why Sheffield gets mentioned on news , like already been said "lazy journalists "

hotun
09-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Should be a referendum on wether the BBC should be publically funded,I know how I would vote.

BramleyMiller58
09-02-2017, 12:26 PM
As long as they end up getting HS2 then I'll let them off.
Wasn't Dunford Hadfields also in Rotherham, but MeadowHall is is Sheffield ?

great_fire
09-02-2017, 12:44 PM
My beef is the story is factually inaccurate.

millmoormagic
09-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Yes, make it clear to you.

My point was back then there was no stigma attached to the Rotherham name, folks didn't avoid saying they lived or worked in Rotherham. Now they do.

I can't really see how I can make that any simpler for you.

But maybe you just don't want to see the point?

To be honest Grist, just re-read your original post and yeh, i read the context incorrectly, sorry for that old bean.

millertop
09-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Get used to it , the border line will slowly be moving ;)

Grist_To_The_Mill
09-02-2017, 01:37 PM
To be honest Grist, just re-read your original post and yeh, i read the context incorrectly, sorry for that old bean.

Fair enough

jolly_roger
09-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Just seen the report of this on BBC Yorkshire lunch time news.

No mention of Rotherham at all, the company MD even said that they had been working with Sheffield Council on the project.

Sheffield and South Yorkshire was mentioned numerous times but no Rotherham.

Have you guys got it wrong and the site is actually in Sheffield?

The McLaren facility might just be over the border.

millertop
09-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Advanced manufacturing park
Brunel way
Rotherham.

University of Sheffield advanced manufacturing research centre , this is why Sheffield gets mentioned like I've already said.

avondalemiller
09-02-2017, 03:08 PM
I think the misleading points are, Sheffield phone numbers used within the Rotherham boundary, and the Sheffield Postcode, which actually covers all S Yorks except Donny, and Donnies goes to the East coast, Grimsby has a DN code. Rotherham and West Bromich are the 2 biggest areas not to have their own post codes. Shouldn't Rotherham Council(sigh) be more active in this mistake that's forever repeated? Maybe they ought to push for our own identity, i.e. post code?
The Rotherham boundary in the Waverly area reaches as far as the railway line, or used to.

Lagos Miller
09-02-2017, 03:23 PM
The phone numbers relate to which exchange you are connected too. If you use BT you get a Sheffield number and if you use Virgin they give you a Rotherham number. All of the Waverley estate and the AMP are in Rotherham the sign to show you are entering Sheffield is just before the Handsworth turn off on the Parkway. I know these bits of info as I live on the Waverley estate.

avondalemiller
09-02-2017, 04:04 PM
The phone numbers relate to which exchange you are connected too. If you use BT you get a Sheffield number and if you use Virgin they give you a Rotherham number. All of the Waverley estate and the AMP are in Rotherham the sign to show you are entering Sheffield is just before the Handsworth turn off on the Parkway. I know these bits of info as I live on the Waverley estate.

...yes Lagos, it stems back years ago when we had smaller exchanges. Thorpe was connected to the Eccelsfield one hence still the Sheffield numbers. I lived in Parkgate in the 70's and our number was Rawmarsh 46**, the area code was 52, when we came under Rotherham our number was 5246**, Wickersley was 54, Thrybergh was 850......etc etc
It still causes confusion, just ask someone living Aston/Swallownest, Sheffield post code and phone number, hence lots of them think(wrongly) that they live in Sheffield. Ask them who collects the council tax???? Aston Hall's address is Sheffield, Butterfly house at Anston is the same, both in Rotherham.

dantpen
09-02-2017, 04:21 PM
The story now reads

The "world-class" facility will be built at the University of Sheffield's Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) at Catcliffe in Rotherham.

millmoormagic
09-02-2017, 04:25 PM
The story now reads

The "world-class" facility will be built at the University of Sheffield's Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) at Catcliffe in Rotherham.

Yes!, maybe my complaint workd then!!!

Rothbiz
09-02-2017, 04:30 PM
I've just got back from the launch. It is a partnership of councils and organisations that has worked for over 2 years to secure the factory so it is just being confirmed as coming to the "Sheffield city region" or on the emerging "Sheffield-Rotherham Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District." However...

McLaren unveils plan to open £50m factory in Rotherham
Rotherham Business News 9/2/17
A space is being readied on the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) in Rotherham for supercar manufacturer McLaren to build a £50m, 75,000 sq ft, carbon-fibre composites factory.
http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2017/02/news-5373-mclaren-unveils-plans-to-open.html

great_fire
09-02-2017, 06:49 PM
So when are we going to be renamed Sheffield City Region United then? Or SCRUFC.

Still good news on the job front at last, with this and Tata.

#DespiteBrexit