PDA

View Full Version : Memories of an ode'un

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 11:11 AM
We can always remember the past but we can only opinion-ate on the future.

I often wonder where the local Nottinghamshire leagues went to. At one time of day we had a proper local pyramid that seemed to work well. From memory we had in ascending order - the Youth league, the Notts Minor league, the Notts Realm league, the Notts Combination league, the MAA and Spartan league and finally the Notts Alliance. Semi pro football then started with the Central Alliance and then the Midland league who at one time included Notts and Forest reserves and Peterborough United.

I remember playing in the Alliance senior division with Bestwood Colliery, Boots and Gedling Colliery who all had good grounds and like all Alliance grounds had to have showers. Player's on Aspley Lane was a great pitch but Basford United's Mill street ground, Parliament St Meths and Raleigh's pitches weren't so good.

Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the kingpins in the late 50's early 60's and would you believe that when Gedling played Bishop Auckland and Pegasus in the old Amateur cup, 3-4000 packed into Plains Road to watch.

Also the Football Post carried a short report on all senior Alliance games, including the line-ups. Some bloody good footballers about then, especially from the Meadows (Albion) area. Anybody still alive to remember these days please comment.

I'll get back to me bath chair!

Pies4u
27-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Wow! Two of my relatives played in that great Gedling Coll team, they went to be the managerial duo when I played for them in the 70's. Walter Kirk was the right back and Eric Martin, my dad's cousin, was the left winger. Eric, of course, played cricket for Notts, scoring a ton against the touring Aussies.

Walter & Eric presided over the team or many years but we had little success. Rainworth, Thoresby & Clipstone dominated, along with the Police, Boots and even good old Thorneywood Athletic! Iwent off to Univ and played a bit of Northern Prem and then returned to the Midland League with Kimberley Town for 2 seasons. It makes me smile now to see turnstiles & floodlights now at Gedling Colliery - the Club Sec used to go round with a box if more than a dozen folks turned up to watch in the 70's. The football was a far higher calibre then too, the Alliance was a top class League, one rung below Midland League.

Vladpie
27-02-2017, 11:47 AM

I often wonder where the local Nottinghamshire leagues went to. At one time of day we had a proper local pyramid that seemed to work well. From memory we had in ascending order - the Youth league, the Notts Minor league, the Notts Realm league, the Notts Combination league, the MAA and Spartan league and finally the Notts Alliance. Semi pro football then started with the Central Alliance and then the Midland league who at one time included Notts and Forest reserves and Peterborough United.

I remember playing in the Alliance senior division with Bestwood Colliery, Boots and Gedling Colliery who all had good grounds and like all Alliance grounds had to have showers. Player's on Aspley Lane was a great pitch but Basford United's Mill street ground, Parliament St Meths and Raleigh's pitches weren't so good.

Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the kingpins in the late 50's early 60's and would you believe that when Gedling played Bishop Auckland and Pegasus in the old Amateur cup, 3-4000 packed into Plains Road to watch.

Also the Football Post carried a short report on all senior Alliance games, including the line-ups. Some bloody good footballers about then, especially from the Meadows (Albion) area. Anybody still alive to remember these days please comment.

I was surprised to see that all the pitches that used to be on the racecourse have gone. I asked some ground staff there and they said it was a H+S issue in that the there was no ambulance access. Perhaps this is one reason, a shortage of pitches in the lower leagues?

60YearsAPie
27-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Interesting piece here about Gedling Miners Welfare FC. It mentions the games against Pegasus and Bishop Auckland.

http://www.ngtrader.co.uk/phorum-5.2.15a/read.php?100,887,887

MagpieTony
27-02-2017, 12:07 PM
The Football post was a great source of information too in relation to the local amateur leagues and enabled you to keep abreast of what was happening as well as excellent coverage of the professional teams What a sad miss that is.

RedBasie
27-02-2017, 12:22 PM
I used to play in the Midland Amateur Alliance at first for Sherwood Amateurs in the same side as Kenneth Clarke MP, and later for West Bridgford Casuals. One of the sides we played against at the time was Nottinghamshire who Reg Simpson the Notts and England cricketer played for at that time. We used to have team news, results and league tables published in the Football Post. It was the only time my name got into the Press.

RedBasie
27-02-2017, 12:34 PM
I was surprised to see that all the pitches that used to be on the racecourse have gone. I asked some ground staff there and they said it was a H+S issue in that the there was no ambulance access. Perhaps this is one reason, a shortage of pitches in the lower leagues?

I can remember playing on West Bridgford Park when a lad's leg was broken. It seemed an eternity before the ambulance came. Someone had to run to a house outside the ground to telephone one and when it eventually came it was pitch dark and the game had to be abandoned. The pitch has now been planted with trees .

LaxtonLad
27-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Interesting piece here about Gedling Miners Welfare FC. It mentions the games against Pegasus and Bishop Auckland.

http://www.ngtrader.co.uk/phorum-5.2...hp?100,887,887

The above is from 60yrsapie, the bit below is mine.

Whoever sold the Gedling Miners Welfare owes us ex-colliers some dosh. It was built in the 1970s with NUM cash. When the colliery closed in 1991 some shysters - could that be the UDM? No, of course not - took over the Welfare building for free. No compensation for the miners whose union contribution paid for it, no voice of concern, complaint or explanation from the local or national UDM officials - hmm, why was that, I wonder? Shhh!

i961pie
27-02-2017, 12:47 PM

I can understand that.
I played on the old race course ground one evening in the 70s, the grass was that long my studs got stuck in the ground and I tore my ankle ligaments.
It was one hell of a struggle to get me from the pitch to a waiting car to get me to hospital. I was out of action for 3/4 months.

i961pie
27-02-2017, 12:50 PM

I used to watch Bulwell Forest Villa who were in the alliance, they had a private ground at the front of Sankeys the pot makers.

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Wow! Two of my relatives played in that great Gedling Coll team, they went to be the managerial duo when I played for them in the 70's. Walter Kirk was the right back and Eric Martin, my dad's cousin, was the left winger. Eric, of course, played cricket for Notts, scoring a ton against the touring Aussies.

Walter & Eric presided over the team or many years but we had little success. Rainworth, Thoresby & Clipstone dominated, along with the Police, Boots and even good old Thorneywood Athletic! Iwent off to Univ and played a bit of Northern Prem and then returned to the Midland League with Kimberley Town for 2 seasons. It makes me smile now to see turnstiles & floodlights now at Gedling Colliery - the Club Sec used to go round with a box if more than a dozen folks turned up to watch in the 70's. The football was a far higher calibre then too, the Alliance was a top class League, one rung below Midland League.

Well I'll be buggered Pies4u ........ you are spot on, which I'll add to a little further - hopefully not to bore!

Firstly Wally was the best amateur right back this county has - or ever will have. Legs like tree trunks and as hard as nails. Wally was an electrician as I remember at the pit. When he retired from football after 21 consecutive years with the colliery he wanted the coaches job but didn't get it. He went instead to coach Netherfield Albion if I remember correctly but may have returned later. I know this because an old school friend Alan Jennings, poached me from Boots Athletic to take Walts place. Alan played in goal but mostly in the reserves but up to a year ago was still helping the club out as gateman and told me Walt had died about a year before. The team was in decline when I played but I still had the pleasure to play with Eric who perhaps was the last of the great team. Eric was a good player (although he missed that penalty against the Bishops!) and was an opening batter for many years with Steetley CC in the Bassetlaw league although I believe he finished his career with the colliery. Just out of interest we had a wing half called Des Berresford who played in front of me and I understood Des had connections with Kimberley. Happy memories of that bloody slope on the Stag Inn ground!!

Just to close... I remember a Mr Harrison (complete with blue blazer and tie) being the secretary at Gedling.

To all the other posters....thanks - your memories are great.

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 01:48 PM

http://www.ngtrader.co.uk/phorum-5.2...hp?100,887,887

The above is from 60yrsapie, the bit below is mine.

Whoever sold the Gedling Miners Welfare owes us ex-colliers some dosh. It was built in the 1970s with NUM cash. When the colliery closed in 1991 some shysters - could that be the UDM? No, of course not - took over the Welfare building for free. No compensation for the miners whose union contribution paid for it, no voice of concern, complaint or explanation from the local or national UDM officials - hmm, why was that, I wonder? Shhh!

It was the old wooden welfare when I played - but see your point.

metrocab
27-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Started in the young elizabethan league on sat afternoon after playing for the school team in the morning!Then played for a few years in the MAA and on sundays played in the afternoon for Nottm Travellers fc including a few games in the old Redmayne sunday league!

Due to bad Knee injuries was advised to pack up at a early age and this also allowed me to carry on playing cricket during the summer months.

I was a much better cricketer than goalkeeper anyway.

Both the Notts Alliance football & cricket leagues were of a very high standard and the cricket league has never really been replaced.

justincast
27-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Well I'll be buggered Pies4u ........ you are spot on, which I'll add to a little further - hopefully not to bore!

Firstly Wally was the best amateur right back this county has - or ever will have. Legs like tree trunks and as hard as nails. Wally was an electrician as I remember at the pit. When he retired from football after 21 consecutive years with the colliery he wanted the coaches job but didn't get it. He went instead to coach Netherfield Albion if I remember correctly but may have returned later. I know this because an old school friend Alan Jennings, poached me from Boots Athletic to take Walts place. Alan played in goal but mostly in the reserves but up to a year ago was still helping the club out as gateman and told me Walt had died about a year before. The team was in decline when I played but I still had the pleasure to play with Eric who perhaps was the last of the great team. Eric was a good player (although he missed that penalty against the Bishops!) and was an opening batter for many years with Steetley CC in the Bassetlaw league although I believe he finished his career with the colliery. Just out of interest we had a wing half called Des Berresford who played in front of me and I understood Des had connections with Kimberley. Happy memories of that bloody slope on the Stag Inn ground!!

Just to close... I remember a Mr Harrison (complete with blue blazer and tie) being the secretary at Gedling.

To all the other posters....thanks - your memories are great.

My old boss and great Friend Trevor Smith also played for Gedling in some of these FA Vase games. He was a centre half and also played for Bourne Town & was still playing for Netherfield Albion in his 50's. He often used to tell me about those games with several thousands at the game which sounds amazing for lower pyramid non-league.

Pies4u
27-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Eric Harrison was centre half in the great team of the 50's. Don't think he was ever Secretary, but he was kit an, tea man & everything else when I played. He was the 3rd member of the management team with Walt & Eric M.

Eric Martin did return to play for the cricket team, some time after I'd finished in my early 20's! He was in his mid 50's by that time but could still bat a bit!

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 07:42 PM
My old boss and great Friend Trevor Smith also played for Gedling in some of these FA Vase games. He was a centre half and also played for Bourne Town & was still playing for Netherfield Albion in his 50's. He often used to tell me about those games with several thousands at the game which sounds amazing for lower pyramid non-league.

Without being pedantic justincast ....... those great days were played in the Amateur Cup where the final was at Wembley in front of a full house. This was well before the Vase came into being. Bishop Auckland won it several times, as did Pegasus I believe. Kingstonian FC from a London league were also prominent.

Trevor Smith I can't remember but Jack Harper (Iron head Jack) was the regular centre half who later played for Netherfield Albion before finishing his career with Burton Joyce in the Spartan league. Again from memory, because the great team was before I joined Gedling, names I remember were Ron(?) Salvin in goal with Walt, Eric, Terry Day, Joey Kay, John Riley and 'Clack' Barkes. Still down memory lane a and in my time - Joe Boucher was one of the best centre forwards and played for Arnold along with Roger Rann, Bobby Tait and a young Arthur Oldham. Other two good players I remember were Denis Stainwright and Arthur Vicarstaff both of Aspley Old Boys.

Yep them woz the days!

magpie_mania
27-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Without being pedantic justincast ....... those great days were played in the Amateur Cup where the final was at Wembley in front of a full house. This was well before the Vase came into being. Bishop Auckland won it several times, as did Pegasus I believe. Kingstonian FC from a London league were also prominent.

Trevor Smith I can't remember but Jack Harper (Iron head Jack) was the regular centre half who later played for Netherfield Albion before finishing his career with Burton Joyce in the Spartan league. Again from memory, because the great team was before I joined Gedling, names I remember were Ron(?) Salvin in goal with Walt, Eric, Terry Day, Joey Kay, John Riley and 'Clack' Barkes. Still down memory lane a and in my time - Joe Boucher was one of the best centre forwards and played for Arnold along with Roger Rann, Bobby Tait and a young Arthur Oldham. Other two good players I remember were Denis Stainwright and Arthur Vicarstaff both of Aspley Old Boys.

Yep them woz the days!

Joe Boucher was my first footballing hero when he was at Arnold. Used to go to every home game - George Smith (ex Notts) in goal and Peter 'Shonky' Burton on the wing.

Great books from Roger Rann 'Kings of the Recs' and 'When Marys were Kings!'

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Started in the young elizabethan league on sat afternoon after playing for the school team in the morning!Then played for a few years in the MAA and on sundays played in the afternoon for Nottm Travellers fc including a few games in the old Redmayne sunday league!

Due to bad Knee injuries was advised to pack up at a early age and this also allowed me to carry on playing cricket during the summer months.

I was a much better cricketer than goalkeeper anyway.

Both the Notts Alliance football & cricket leagues were of a very high standard and the cricket league has never really been replaced.

Would agree metrocab. A sad day when they disbanded the old Notts Cricket Club Alliance and started the Nottingham Premier League. Lots of hassle been caused by the introduction of pro's and decent local players moving clubs to the highest bidder.

One of the saddest things last year was Clifton CC resigning from the league because of players wanting cash to play. Clifton refused bless 'em and have turned their 2nd XI into the first and are playing this year in 'B' division of the SNL. Lovely ground at the Clifton Oval with a great set of long standing loyal people running the club.

Pies4u
27-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Me too MM. Boucher & Shonky Burton were terrific. Langford, Anthony & Ball were Aldo part of that team. I remember queueing for hours to see the Cup game v Brizzle Rovers. Noel Simpson, ex Red, was manager and my old school caretaker, Sam Archer, was trainer. Happy days.

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Sadly Joe passed away in Spain about 10 years ago. I was talking to Willy last week (Joe's younger brother) also a very good player but liked his ale too much! So much so that he got pissed one Friday night and rather than play for Rotherham reserves at Millmoor went back to the boozer on the Saturday lunchtime rather than play. True story!

seriouspie
27-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Didn't they lose 0-3 to Bristol?

magpie_mania
27-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Me too MM. Boucher & Shonky Burton were terrific. Langford, Anthony & Ball were Aldo part of that team. I remember queueing for hours to see the Cup game v Brizzle Rovers. Noel Simpson, ex Red, was manager and my old school caretaker, Sam Archer, was trainer. Happy days.

Just too young to go to the Bristol Rovers game. I was there though 1977 v Port Vale in the FA Cup.

Was it Sam Archer or Walt Archer who was the trainer? I think Shonky lived next door to my Auntie.

Great days though ...... I remember going to watch them at ML in the Notts Senior Cup Final (maybe more than once?).

Elite_Pie
27-02-2017, 08:31 PM
I played regularly in the Notts Sunday Morning League Div 1 & 2 (Trowsers with Acko at centre forward were regular opponents), and often in the MAA on a Saturday afternoon if Notts were away. The Sunday games were a pretty decent standard, several Midland League players used to turn out for teams in the top division. That's why I just don't get this 'too tired to play twice a week' thing. Loads of us used to play twice in 20 hours and were still going strong at the final whistle.

MagpieTony
27-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Just too young to go to the Bristol Rovers game. I was there though 1977 v Port Vale in the FA Cup.

Was it Sam Archer or Walt Archer who was the trainer? I think Shonky lived next door to my Auntie.

Great days though ...... I remember going to watch them at ML in the Notts Senior Cup Final (maybe more than once?).

Being an Arnold lad I was there for the Port Vale game. Me and a few mates were set upon by a coach load of Vale fans when they arrived at the ground. I also remember an evening cup game against Grantham when there was over 3000 at the game. The report was on the back page of The Sun the following day.

Pies4u
10-01-2018, 09:07 AM
I have been promoted to "bump" this thread by someone who knew Des Beresford - who was mentioned by
"Seriouspie" earlier in this thread. I think they played in the same Long Eaton team at some stage. Unfortunately, I'm advised that it seems that, sadly, Des has recently passed away.

Not sure if there is any connection between Des and either of the Beresfords who I saw playing for Notts, I recall John Beresford in the mid 60's, but I'm also told that Des was once with Notts too but I don't think he made the 1st team.

Anyway, my colleague, who played cricket with Des's brother, asked me to record that Des is no longer with us in case tbose, like Serious, who knew him in the past were unaware.

seriouspie
10-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I have been promoted to "bump" this thread by someone who knew Des Beresford - who was mentioned by
"Seriouspie" earlier in this thread. I think they played in the same Long Eaton team at some stage. Unfortunately, I'm advised that it seems that, sadly, Des has recently passed away.

Not sure if there is any connection between Des and either of the Beresfords who I saw playing for Notts, I recall John Beresford in the mid 60's, but I'm also told that Des was once with Notts too but I don't think he made the 1st team.

Anyway, my colleague, who played cricket with Des's brother, asked me to record that Des is no longer with us in case tbose, like Serious, who knew him in the past were unaware.

Many thanks Pies4u .... I didn't know but it could well have been 'my Des' so to speak. The Des I played with at Gedling had been on Notts' books but never made the first team - mind you, I never made the reserves!

Saying that, there were some really good players in the Senior division of the Alliance and it's difficult to remember them all.