PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Borthwick

Arab87
29-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Seen on Ceres Arabs twitter they have an article from one of the rags. Seems the man is worth a few bob or twa.

https://twitter.com/CeresArabs

Any possibility he could buy us over? :D

deebuster
29-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Head of Global Investments at Bank of America / Merrill Lynch, and is a multi millionaire. From West of Scotland but got United bug whilst at St Andrews Uni.

Arab87
29-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Could DU foundation and FU contact him to discuss a possible takeover consisting of him and the fans? :D

If and this is an if, we get promoted via the play offs this year, this guy and the fans take over at the helm, I reckon seaon ticket sales would sky rocket and this doom and gloom around the club would lift.

shedka
29-03-2017, 04:22 PM
The fans taking over is the stuff of nightmares, makes the status quo seem very appealing

We do need someone with funds though if there is to be a replacement for ST

ianharab
29-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Man must be mental , Investing with that neep in charge

thefutureistangerine4
04-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Man must be mental , Investing with that neep in charge

I suspect he is not mental. I would hazard a guess that he is smarter and more successful than most of us on here. I also suspect that his plan would be to purchase the shares of ST rather than leaving ST as majority shareholder. Just some thoughts though I'm sure you must be right....

LSArab
04-04-2018, 12:09 PM
If true then I’ve said before hallelujah!

Crack open the champagne if it’s true and he takes over.

Best owner is a good owner.

Few places where fan ownership has worked and usually it is a disaster. Becomes about the personality clashes amongst the fans and not about what is best for club.

Fingers crossed this guy takes over. Hard to imagine a better possible owner for us

stokearab
04-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Could DU foundation and FU contact him to discuss a possible takeover consisting of him and the fans? :D

If and this is an if, we get promoted via the play offs this year, this guy and the fans take over at the helm, I reckon seaon ticket sales would sky rocket and this doom and gloom around the club would lift.

Yesterday you posted THIS

We have new owners, ST's shares is all but sold, debt will be cleared and further investment will follow. Give it a few weeks. Patience lad. The future's bright.

Now you're suggesting we should contact him to see if he's interested??

LSArab
04-04-2018, 12:18 PM
I don’t think he should be contacted. Let him buy in - don’t want people hassling him before his time at the club has even begun.

If this one single rumour is true then when he has actually bought the club then that would seem the right time for any fans group to be invited to consult, not before

stokearab
04-04-2018, 12:28 PM
I don’t think he should be contacted. Let him buy in - don’t want people hassling him before his time at the club has even begun.

If this one single rumour is true then when he has actually bought the club then that would seem the right time for any fans group to be invited to consult, not before

LS I'm asking Arab87 why he posted yesterday that it was all but done, yet today he's posting that maybe we should contact him to see if he's interested.

Skolcorner
04-04-2018, 12:31 PM
It's quite easy to research AB online and find out a fair bit about him BUT is there there any evidence of his actual interest in taking over the Club? Hope this doesn't just turn out to be wishful thinking on our part.

LSArab
04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I agree stoke. All great news if true but this seems a little premature

It’s based on hearsay from one director which is not reliable. We do not know what kind of publicity or involvement may be wanted. Even if this were true. The best approach is to be patient and hope!

Skolcorner
04-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Really disappointed that this whole story is beginning to look like it's based on nothing more than rumour and hearsay from an apparently unreliable source. Folk seem to be distancing themselves from their earlier positions on this story too. The gloom that was maybe about to lift has just settled again, thicker than ever. Another false dawn.

PortugueseFrank
04-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Yesterday you posted THIS

We have new owners, ST's shares is all but sold, debt will be cleared and further investment will follow. Give it a few weeks. Patience lad. The future's bright.

Now you're suggesting we should contact him to see if he's interested??

That post of arab87 is from 29th of March. Predates yesterday's comments you've put in bold.

shedka
04-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Guys, the first 5 posts of this thread are from a year ago, bloody hell, getting yourselves confused

stokearab
04-04-2018, 01:43 PM
FFS what a complete and utter waste of my phucking time. Why is anyone resurrecting a thread from a year ago ffs.

So instead of adding to threads a year old maybe someone will eventually stop posting rumours and start posting up to date FACT

shedka
04-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Stoke, some info here with a poster who usually isn't far off saying much of the same stuff

http://tekelterrors.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4539&p=1

ahlltanyirhide
04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Any mention now of Mr Borthwick taking over is now well out of date as he has no involvement with Dundee United anymore

RAM1971
04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
The prolonged absence of Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician has left us all at the mercy of innuendo, rumour and speculation, etc. Oh for a breath of truth to guide our thoughts, rather than pitiful imagination.

RaysRedEye
04-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Any mention now of Mr Borthwick taking over is now well out of date as he has no involvement with Dundee United anymore

Apart from us owing him money?

Hoofballer
04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/9zh2XvzGCXMHaGhZgemwZGgrxxI/appointments

Not really a long and distinguished business history over here ( very in USA of course ) ...... why would he be getting involved now? Just a rumour ?

LSArab
04-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Great middle name there (and first name TBF).

He’s a NY investment banker so guess he would not be involved much in UK companies.

From what I can gather from the boards seem to only be a rumour and some are denying it

The rumour seems to have some potential where he had previous involvement apparently and MM may potentially have some link via the hedge funds.

Who knows but I’d say there is a chance. I’d be delighted and what a potential happy end after the ST years 😂🤞

PortugueseFrank
04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
The company he was a director of was owned by a significant sunsoduaty of Goldman Sachs.

So safe to say he's been operating with the big boys for well over a decade.

That being the case I think he may be more wealthy than I had first assumed even with the 14 million pad in NY.

From what I can see. The top execs of BoA - of which he is not far from being - earn around 4 million a year. But with shares and other bonuses they clock in around 10 mill.

We'd better hope he's up for this. Could be transformational.

At very least he's not likely to **** around with the governance etc. He has a reputation based on being good at business to uphold.

GUNBOAT
04-04-2018, 08:04 PM
I suspect he is not mental. I would hazard a guess that he is smarter and more successful than most of us on here. I also suspect that his plan would be to purchase the shares of ST rather than leaving ST as majority shareholder. Just some thoughts though I'm sure you must be right....

Here is the culprit Stokie boy as he leave's it just over a year to reply to ianarab's post. :)

LSArab
04-04-2018, 08:04 PM
I agree this would be transformational and best we could ever hope for.

Only a rumour at the moment though so who knows.

Maybe not more of a miracle than promotion this year

TerryTheTerror
05-04-2018, 06:27 AM
Future, what's your reason for resurrecting this now? You must have went looking for it specifically.

Arab87
05-04-2018, 12:02 PM
LS I'm asking Arab87 why he posted yesterday that it was all but done, yet today he's posting that maybe we should contact him to see if he's interested.

Could DU foundation and FU contact him to discuss a possible takeover consisting of him and the fans?

If and this is an if, we get promoted via the play offs this year, this guy and the fans take over at the helm, I reckon seaon ticket sales would sky rocket and this doom and gloom around the club would lift. - Posted 29-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Alistair Borthwick is leading the consortium, he's a United man. We are fortunate that he has bothered his arse to take on the debts and this consortium to buy ST out and put in further investment. ST had exhausted all other avenues, there was nothing left apart from the teacups and duster to secure a soft loan against.

We need this take over to move forward. So to remove all doubt from this, there will be no take over or involvement from Nelms and Keyes, there will be no merger of the clubs. -02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Nearly a year between this initial post and what I've been saying for over the past week. Read the date on the top left hand side for future references mate >;)

stokearab
05-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Could DU foundation and FU contact him to discuss a possible takeover consisting of him and the fans?

If and this is an if, we get promoted via the play offs this year, this guy and the fans take over at the helm, I reckon seaon ticket sales would sky rocket and this doom and gloom around the club would lift. - Posted 29-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Alistair Borthwick is leading the consortium, he's a United man. We are fortunate that he has bothered his arse to take on the debts and this consortium to buy ST out and put in further investment. ST had exhausted all other avenues, there was nothing left apart from the teacups and duster to secure a soft loan against.

We need this take over to move forward. So to remove all doubt from this, there will be no take over or involvement from Nelms and Keyes, there will be no merger of the clubs. -02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Nearly a year between this initial post and what I've been saying for over the past week. Read the date on the top left hand side for future references mate >;)

Fair comment mate, nothing personal in it but i usually don't bother checking the date and the year and the century and the time of posts, my fault for assuming it was a current thread.

stokearab
05-04-2018, 04:59 PM

While we're at it can you ask Mr Borthwick to put a wee sum aside to put in safe standing in the ET Lower so we can get the atmosphere going again please? Also the TV up there in the JK needs to go past 90 minutes, cannae be that hard to fix, maybe we got an end of sale version. Many thanks in anticipation.

PortugueseFrank
05-04-2018, 05:34 PM
I don't think clocks in stadiums are allowed to show stoppage time. It does go beyond 90 if extra time in cup but I don't think its in the club's hands to show stoppage time or not.

ahlltanyirhide
05-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Apart from us owing him money?

No Ray, my understanding is that he has had his investment/loan returned to him in full so parting of the ways was completed in full.

Shed 65
05-04-2018, 06:14 PM
I'm not questioning your info but where exactly did the club find the money for this from? We were told the money from MM to buy Gussie was to be used to fund operating losses and keep us running till the end of the season and I don't believe for a minute that had the club payed back any debt in any way shape or form we would all know about it. Even if Mr Borthwick has his money back that does not preclude him from making a takeover bid.

ahlltanyirhide
05-04-2018, 06:45 PM
I'm not questioning your info but where exactly did the club find the money for this from? We were told the money from MM to buy Gussie was to be used to fund operating losses and keep us running till the end of the season and I don't believe for a minute that had the club payed back any debt in any way shape or form we would all know about it. Even if Mr Borthwick has his money back that does not preclude him from making a takeover bid.

Of course it doesn’t preclude him making a takeover bid, but he’s not involved with the consortium currently deliberating whether or not to take the club over. Borthwick is out of the picture full stop.

Shed 65
05-04-2018, 06:58 PM
I'm sure you can understand everybody's scepticism about what you are saying, on one hand we have one poster claiming Borthwick is heading the consortium, who says his source is a current director on the other we have you claiming knowledge that Borthwick is not involved and that he has been paid off, information that no one else knows but no mention of who your source is. Both yourself and the other poster have exclusive sources that have not told anyone else their information, I find that highly unlikely. I'm not questioning your integrity merely explaining why folk might be sceptical and doubtful about what is being said.

LSArab
05-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Any idea who is actually involved in consortium or how far along it is? No worries if this is too sensitive to share

There was a bit in papers saying American consortium and close to deal I think ....

FTD1983
05-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Seems a coincidence Borthwick loaned us £300k, MM buys Gussie for a million, pays himself back £700k (his words apparently) leaving £300k unaccounted for - used in settlement of Borthwicks loan?

(I’m in no way suggesting foul play by MM btw!)

LSArab
05-04-2018, 10:20 PM
I thought we were told working capital to end of the season 🤔

stokearab
05-04-2018, 10:52 PM
This is so *** ked up its ridiculous

PortugueseFrank
05-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Debt was serviced from the 1 mill with a portion allocated for working capital.

Fairly straightforward.

As it stands there are charges (security for lending) showing as outstanding. So it would appear that debt has been serviced but not fully paid off.

Which in itself isn't a big deal as long as we meet the next payments.

Danny_Dyer
06-04-2018, 11:28 AM

The reason there are so many conflicting stories flying around is because "soundbites" are being leaked from the boardroom in an attempt to sell season tickets.

There is NO takeover on the table and I am stunned that folk are falling for this. Actually, I'm not...

TerryTheTerror
06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
You're such a cynic Danny. However, I'm kind of siding with you on this. 🤔🙂

SmedDUm
06-04-2018, 12:12 PM
My stance on the takeover is I haven't a Scooby one way or the other.
Takeover ON - 50% truth, 50% sh!te
Takeover OFF - 50% sh1te, 50% truth
Meanwhile bring on the Sons take 2.

scoobydufc
06-04-2018, 08:54 PM
50/50 good for me

LSArab
07-04-2018, 12:15 AM
My stance on the takeover is I haven't a Scooby one way or the other.
Takeover ON - 50% truth, 50% sh!te
Takeover OFF - 50% sh1te, 50% truth
Meanwhile bring on the Sons take 2.

There is a third alternative. A takeover not involving Borthwick.

Some on here are saying he is not involved. But press stories seem to be saying there is a takeover / sale of shares taking place.

Could be some other buyer is in place. Hopefully all will be revealed soon

GUNBOAT
07-04-2018, 12:30 AM
The reason there are so many conflicting stories flying around is because "soundbites" are being leaked from the boardroom in an attempt to sell season tickets.

There is NO takeover on the table and I am stunned that folk are falling for this. Actually, I'm not...

Neither am i,every FN year at around this time there is a sting,sorry Stephen no this time,FACT.

Hoofballer
07-04-2018, 07:05 AM

There is NO takeover on the table and I am stunned that folk are falling for this. Actually, I'm not....

I’m now less inclined to believe there’s any truth in this takeover story now that knowing the source of these stories is the boardroom.

Board credibility and trust for truthful communication sailed from Tannadice a long time ago for me.

Probably waiting until there’s a guy with a Stetson and a suitcase of cash standing at our front door before I get my season ticket as not being convinced by ST and MM’s recent moves.