PDA

View Full Version : Did you know Ross Barkley was (1/4) black?

great_fire
14-04-2017, 08:33 PM
I certainly didn't.

I don't like Kelvin MacKenzie but think it's unfair to make out he's a racist.

This is just revenge for Hillsborough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39603942

millmoormagic
14-04-2017, 08:43 PM
I certainly didn't.

Only you could agree with anything Mckenzie wrote, and the very fact that The Sun, the scummiest,lowest rag of them all, has suspended him should speak volumes.
To be honest, i've read it and it's out of order, no surprise, but there's always an underlying theme with that rag, anyway, thought you were a Times man....:D

sawmiller
14-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I certainly didn't.

nothing can bring dead people back - revenge?

great_fire
14-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Well that's why they're going after him.

No way it can be called racism.

Pattylallacks2
14-04-2017, 09:35 PM
I certainly didn't.

A quarter black? Probably known to the security forces then

millmoormagic
14-04-2017, 09:40 PM

So whose going after him??? The only people that bothered to stand up for the Hillsborough victims were themselves and their supporters, mainstream media ridiculed and absolutely crucified them, Mckenzie is the epitome of that mainstream, his vitriol and bigotry has finally found him out. The Scum newspaper, in massive decline has had to do something, so they've suspended him.
Deserves all he gets.

CAMiller
14-04-2017, 09:45 PM
A quarter black? I didn't even know he played American Football.

Ellis_D
14-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Much as I hate McKenzie and The Scum newspaper, I'm not sure this was intended racism. I certainly never realised Barkley was a quarter black, he certainly looks completely white.

I've got a white mate, and people call him a silverback, because he is a big ugly b@stard that looks like a gorilla. No-one sees that as racist. Would it suddenly make it racist if we found out he has a black grandad?

great_fire
14-04-2017, 10:27 PM
I don't know how he can have offended Scousers either, they don't read The Sun do they?

millmoormagic
14-04-2017, 10:33 PM
I don't know how he can have offended Scousers either, they don't read The Sun do they?

Now we're getting to it, you'll be posting next how all scousers are car thieves and drug dealers and that they caused the tragedy at Hillsborough....

so predictably brainwashed.

great_fire
14-04-2017, 10:55 PM
No just wondering how they could have been offended by something they've not read.

When people start crying "racist" for no reason I lose sympathy for them, even though I don't like MacKenzie and doubt anyone does really.

millmoormagic
14-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Don't you see how you're already stereotyping, you really should leave your bias behind you.

Lasterman
14-04-2017, 11:02 PM
I don't like Mckenzie and some of his views are pretty unpleasant. However, I don't think this article was racist. Like most of us, I suspect he had no idea that Barclay has black heritage. And what are we to make of the fact that The Sun have suspended him...

- that they don't bother reading what their columnists write before it's published?
or...
- that they read it, didn't know Barclay has black heritage, but believe Mckenzie did?
or...
- they have taken a logically inconsistent line of least resistance after coming in for criticism?

If there's a can to be carried for this, The Sun should be carrying it.

mikemiller
14-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Unfair to make out that Mackenzie is a racist???? LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!
He also hates Scousers (partly because of the Dockers strike too)
He also hated the miners..
and the steelworkers
Anybody who fought back against Thatcher
He is a piece of ****

lbj
15-04-2017, 03:04 AM
The guy who wrote this Pulitzer Prize winning article is on holiday but the newspaper are distancing themselves from the article itself although there must have been some editorial critique so they can't hide.....

He is not a nice man is he !

gorky
15-04-2017, 08:50 AM
I certainly didn't.

Journalist spreads unfounded lies about human disaster accusing people of causing deaths and robbing the dead, to make money (for some reason the scumbag is not in prison).

On the anniversary of this disaster slags off the entire city and one of its most famous sportsmen. People get upset about being insulted.

Great fire believes journalist is the victim. What a warped mind.

sawmiller
15-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Who is 'they'?

He's been suspended by his employer, no-one else - which probably means he will be kept in the background until this all blows over. We have both the freedoms to offend, complain and protest in this country. I will defend the right of anyone to do all of these, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. He has, however, played a key part in bringing about this outcome and now has the opportunity to learn from it - whether he will or not is another matter.

great_fire
15-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Who is 'they'?

He's been suspended by his employer, no-one else - which probably means he will be kept in the background until this all blows over. We have both the freedoms to offend, complain and protest in this country. I will defend the right of anyone to do all of these, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. He has, however, played a key part in bringing about this outcome and now has the opportunity to learn from it - whether he will or not is another matter.

Well the Mayor of Liverpool for one.

great_fire
15-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Unfair to make out that Mackenzie is a racist???? LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!
He also hates Scousers (partly because of the Dockers strike too)
He also hated the miners..
and the steelworkers
Anybody who fought back against Thatcher
He is a piece of ****

I never said he wasn't.

But Scousers, miners and steelworkers aren't races.

sawmiller
15-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Well the Mayor of Liverpool for one.

He's not employed by the Mayor of Liverpool though, is he?

monty_rhodes
15-04-2017, 07:42 PM
I certainly didn't.

I've read this OP several times. I have nothing at all against the poster. But this post is appalling and wrong on so many levels I can't be rrsed to comment further. Shameful crap.

millmoormagic
15-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I've read this OP several times. I have nothing at all against the poster. But this post is appalling and wrong on so many levels I can't be rrsed to comment further. Shameful crap.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the thing is, you've waited this long to realise it? must be influenced heavily by the news then, jumped on the bandwagon, why can't you make your own mind up....it was plain as day to me how wrong it was immediately....

Newcy Wolf
15-04-2017, 10:42 PM
A quarter black? I didn't even know he played American Football.

That gag hasn't been given the recognition it deserves.

I would have been proud of that one :D

millmoormagic
15-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Shows how shallow some folk are i suppose.

Newcy Wolf
15-04-2017, 11:02 PM
As shallow as those that need to make an issue about a complimentary response?

As most agree on here, and what I have witnessed from my limited viewing, you are indeed a prize d1ckhead.

Also, I might add, a tool.

millmoormagic
15-04-2017, 11:08 PM
As shallow as those that need to make an issue about a complimentary response?

As most agree on here, and what I have witnessed from my limited viewing, you are indeed a prize d1ckhead.

Also, I might add, a tool.

Thanks, quite like the response, but the joke wasn't missed by anyone, so it didn't really need anyone's recognition, because it was crap, simple as that....

Newcy Wolf
15-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Hey, no problem.

I've always been of the belief that a good gag deserves the appropriate plaudits.

I enjoyed it, you didn't.

millmoormagic
15-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Fair do's, good luck next season dude.

Ellis_D
15-04-2017, 11:23 PM
:D Even the new posters seem to work millmoor out pretty quickly! :D :D

CAMiller
16-04-2017, 04:47 AM

Thanks Newcy, like the u in humor, appreciation for my talent often goes missing on here. I've probably been over the pond too long? Maybe I'll come onto the Wolves site where it seems a more discerning crowd for my jokes can be found. However, I have sometimes caught mmm laughing at my quips so all is not lost.

sota
16-04-2017, 04:53 AM
ha ha one of the best was that CA.

KerrAvon
16-04-2017, 06:02 AM
I've read this OP several times. I have nothing at all against the poster. But this post is appalling and wrong on so many levels I can't be rrsed to comment further. Shameful crap.I agree with you, but only had to read the OP once.

KerrAvon
16-04-2017, 06:03 AM
Thanks Newcy, like the u in humor, appreciation for my talent often goes missing on here. I've probably been over the pond too long? Maybe I'll come onto the Wolves site where it seems a more discerning crowd for my jokes can be found. However, I have sometimes caught mmm laughing at my quips so all is not lost.I thought it very amusing, Cam.

monty_rhodes
16-04-2017, 07:05 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the thing is, you've waited this long to realise it? must be influenced heavily by the news then, jumped on the bandwagon, why can't you make your own mind up....it was plain as day to me how wrong it was immediately....

I admit to being confused by your comment. I don't see a bandwagon. I came on MM, read the thread, read the OP a couple more times (Kerr, too, is a point scoring rrse) to make sure I wasn't missing some subtlety or ironic element and left a response. Surely for something to be "plain as day to me how wrong it was immediately..." I have to read it first? You are an appalling character and clearly seen as such by the majority on here. So far up your own backside with your moral superiority but in reality just a turd.

great_fire
16-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Watching Match of the Day yesterday and Ross Barkley isn't even tanned, in fact he's paler than most all-white people so making out Mackenzie is racist and this was a "hate crime" is bizarre and wrong.

Criticism of MacKenzie making disparging remarks about Liverpudlians on the eve of the Hillsborough anniversary is fair though and you would have thought he would have learned his lesson ages ago.

monty_rhodes
16-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Watching Match of the Day yesterday and Ross Barkley isn't even tanned, in fact he's paler than most all-white people so making out Mackenzie is racist and this was a "hate crime" is bizarre and wrong.

Criticism of MacKenzie making disparging remarks about Liverpudlians on the eve of the Hillsborough anniversary is fair though and you would have thought he would have learned his lesson ages ago.

As I posted before I have no axe to grind against you as a poster on MM. I have no idea if KM is a racist but he seems undeniably to be an unpleasant loudmouthed bigot. The point about your post which riled me was the "revenge for Hillsborough" bit - a choice of words which I'm sure you regret. We can all make this kind of misjudgement and I don't hold it against you.

great_fire
16-04-2017, 09:33 AM
What I meant was that the Mayor of Liverpool were falsely accusing him of racism in an opportunistic way because of the lies he published after Hillsborough and because they hate him as do most people.

brassgnat
17-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Even too racist for The Sun now!!

John2
17-04-2017, 09:54 AM
I certainly didn't.

You might not have realised, however you are not a journalist.

The first thing any journalist would do before writing such an article is find out all the information they can about the person. Simply reading his Wikipedia would have revealed he is of Nigerian ancestry and the chances KM would have known this when he wrote the article approach 100%.

John2
17-04-2017, 09:58 AM

The idea that a hate crime or racism can only be perpetrated if a person's skin tone exceeds a certain threshold is bizarre and wrong, and doesn't reflect well on the intellect of the person expressing it.

great_fire
17-04-2017, 10:57 AM

The first thing any journalist would do before writing such an article is find out all the information they can about the person. Simply reading his Wikipedia would have revealed he is of Nigerian ancestry and the chances KM would have known this when he wrote the article approach 100%.

Was that always on Wikipedia though or was it added after the article? You don't know with Wikipedia.

great_fire
17-04-2017, 11:08 AM

He didn't even check those lies about Hillsborough did he?

Just because you're a journalist doesn't mean you're always thorough, he will have thought there was no problem comparing a white footballer to a gorilla.

There shouldn't be any problem comparing a black person to a gorilla either, the racism only comes in if they don't look like a gorilla or if you say all blacks look like gorillas.

Muhammad Ali called Joe Frazier "The Gorilla".

Nigel Benn said something similar about Chris Eubank.

John2
17-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Was that always on Wikipedia though or was it added after the article? You don't know with Wikipedia.

"You don't know with Wikipedia"

You don't seem to know very much of anything at all. On the top right of every single Wikipedia page are tabs pertaining to the page you are viewing with the options: Read, Edit, View History.

Clicking on the latter you can view every single edit to the Wikipedia page ever, and view the Wikipedia page as it was historically at any point in time. Its incredibly easy.

Here is exactly how his Wikipedia page looked on 17th March:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ross_Barkley&oldid=769789942

Here is another history from August 2015:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ross_Barkley&oldid=675427952

It has long clearly stated he is of Nigerian ancestery.

That doesn't make KM's comments racist, even KM himself may not have conciously set out to be offensive. However the barest of competence would have had him in full posession of this information, and he should have had the brains to consider how his words could be interpreted. He's made this mess himself by being very unpleasant, and its sad people are so keen to defend him to thinly veil their own prejudices.

great_fire
17-04-2017, 05:29 PM
A white man compared him to a gorilla and therefore he's a black victim of white racism but if Barkley had compared a 100% or 50% black player to a gorilla he'd be a "white racist" and black no longer.

Bit like how hispanic, mainly Amerindian-looking George Zimmerman became white when he killed Trayvon Martin.

sawmiller
17-04-2017, 05:43 PM
A white man compared him to a gorilla and therefore he's a black victim of white racism but if Barkley had compared a 100% or 50% black player to a gorilla he'd be a "white racist" and black no longer.

Bit like how hispanic, mainly Amerindian-looking George Zimmerman became white when he killed Trayvon Martin.

or how blacks are OK if they win Olympic Gold medals...