PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Van Gogh and a Bottle of Wine

WBA1955
19-04-2017, 02:31 PM
People pay millions for an original Van Gogh, and yet his paintings were no better than those of a 10 year old at primary school.
He only sold one painting during his life and his best mate bought that.
The same with wine. Thousands are paid for a bottle from a "vintage year" and then it is stored in a cellar at the correct temperature.
It could taste like cat p!$$ for all anyone knows and yet they have paid thousands for it.
"Sold to the man with the handlebar moustache."
Just snobbery really isn't it?
5 quid is more than enough for a bottle of grape juice.

SCOOP115
19-04-2017, 02:39 PM
A lot of people tried to contact Van Gough about buying some of his paintings, but he never heard them call :D

WBA1955
19-04-2017, 02:51 PM
It's not the Dutch, but Poles that make the best post impressionists.

phild
19-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Rothko's paintings of Black on Maroon are worth millions and they were apparently hung upside down. A child at nursery could paint better.

holmleighchris
19-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Spot on lads. Photos are a lot more realistic than paintings. 30/40 million for a painting. Sheer madness. I wouldn't want most of the stuff hanging in my home. Mind you I doubt the people who buy them have them hanging in their homes either, probably tucked away in a vault.
As for wine, well £4 gets you a perfectly palatable white, cheap red isn't so good, need to push up to the £6 mark for that.
£40 to watch a football match live is scandalous too.

WBA1955
19-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I wonder how much a Rolf Harris painting would fetch today? I wonder what the Queen has done with her's?

john1565
31-03-2018, 11:39 AM
There were many people in the world who didn't get recognition in their lifetime, but after death. That doesn't necessarily mean they were not genius. Van Gogh painted from different perspective throughout his life, which may be a reflection of different places Gogh visited in his life (http://wikitour.io/tours/vincent-van-gogh). His many artworks are recognized as masterpiece today and I don't know why you are against him :s:s

Newcy Wolf
31-03-2018, 11:49 AM
There were many people in the world who didn't get recognition in their lifetime, but after death. That doesn't necessarily mean they were not genius. Van Gogh painted from different perspective throughout his life, which may be a reflection of different places Gogh visited in his life (http://wikitour.io/tours/vincent-van-gogh). His many artworks are recognized as masterpiece today and I don't know why you are against him :s:s

Explain how he was a genius?

I agree with the above-his paintings were amateur at best.

Pretentious crap.

mickd1961
31-03-2018, 12:33 PM
I wonder how much a Rolf Harris painting would fetch today? I wonder what the Queen has done with her's?

I’ve got a Rolf that the wife bought me before the scandal Des.

It wasn’t expensive by his standards but probably worth less now.

Strangely,I expect his works will gain in value after his death.

Regardless of his kiddie fiddling the guy was a unique artist.

Art appreciation has to be in the eye of the person judging it....it’s like when my grandad said that the *** Pistols and Black Sabbath’s music was utter crap........it’s a matter of personal choice.

sweeper5
31-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Explain how he was a genius?

I agree with the above-his paintings were amateur at best.

Pretentious crap.

Hello Newcy,

Have you ever visited Paris?

If you haven't and do get there, go visit Musée D'Orsay and in particular the room for the Impressionist Painters. Here, I feel sure you will, as I was, be blown away as you enter the room because his "Sunflowers" is right there in front of you. It is a Masterpiece.

However, it is a matter of personal choice.

Newcy Wolf
31-03-2018, 01:56 PM
How's it going sweeper?

I just believe there is an awful lot more talent and skill with finer art, Constable and Da Vinci are easy examples. They can create a painting that resembles an actual photograph that would take days to achieve rather than applying the paint with a catapult or taking a couple of minutes to draw a figure which has an eye where the ear should be with a pencil.

goodlordmurphy
31-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Not too sure about painting.........far m9re skill in cricket.....😆😅😄😃😁😀😉

BaggieBlood
31-03-2018, 07:30 PM
You got to admire the bull s hit.

The only constable he knows is the one that nicked him for vagrancy.

SwedishBaggie
31-03-2018, 08:48 PM
You got to admire the bull s hit.

The only constable he knows is the one that nicked him for vagrancy.

Another classic BB, you’re on a good run 🤣

Newcy Wolf
01-04-2018, 12:43 AM
Another classic BB, you’re on a good run ��

Another 'classic' example of you helping to ruin another thread by shouting from the back.

This was an interesting topic till your master decided to intervene.

Then, like the dog you are, you HAD to comment.

Ironic from the habitual poster who cries 'foul ' when others join in.

"Swedish", you are a gob****e, a hypocrite, a coward.

Please enlighten me with your powers of omniscience.

Newcy Wolf
01-04-2018, 12:44 AM
Another classic BB, you’re on a good run ��

Complete tosser. Simple as.

baggieal
01-04-2018, 02:26 AM
Complete tosser. Simple as.

We agree at last! You are a complete tosser so do one!

9goals2hattricks3pen
01-04-2018, 09:02 AM
I really enjoyed Fake or Fortune BBC art show with Fiona Bruce.

Each week they took a painting and using modern scienctific methods and experts decided if the painting was genuine. Often the debate was whether is was by the 'Master' or one of his pupil. If it was the Master £5,000000 the pupil £5,000. I could never get my brain around it. IT'S THE SAME PAINTING. Who painted it doesn't make it better. Does it?

One bloke had paid £100,000 for a painting he believed was an original Chagall. The painting was sent to the Chagall Committee who declared it a fake. Unbelievably they then had the power to destroy it and duly did so. I thought the painting was dreadful but if the bloke liked it surely that's all that really matters. Isn't it?

As self confessed lover of beauty one thing I could really appreciate about the show was Fiona Bruce who reguarly wore her spanner jeans. Well it tightened my nuts!

SwedishBaggie
01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Intelligent play on words, good puns, tongue in cheek and good banter (after all, this is Baggies BANTER) is always appreciated by me. In my opinion, the Constable remark was an example of that. Had the original example been J M W Turner, or my favourite from that period, John Martin, the (same) pun would not have been possible.

The comment on the "Not a post in 24 hrs thread", again made by BB, was in the same fashion, and commented on in a positive way by me, and GLM.

Resorting to name calling, abusive language etc is, on the other hand, just sad, and def ruining threads.

mickd1961
01-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I have a carrot shaped like a p e n I s and b o l l ox......in some people’s worlds such a rarity would be deemed to be priceless.

Or is it the other way around!!?

sweeper5
01-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Intelligent play on words, good puns, tongue in cheek and good banter (after all, this is Baggies BANTER) is always appreciated by me. In my opinion, the Constable remark was an example of that. Had the original example been J M W Turner, or my favourite from that period, John Martin, the (same) pun would not have been possible.

The comment on the "Not a post in 24 hrs thread", again made by BB, was in the same fashion, and commented on in a positive way by me, and GLM.

Resorting to name calling, abusive language etc is, on the other hand, just sad, and def ruining threads.

So you like John Martin. Did he do the tattoo on Ibrahimovic's back??

SwedishBaggie
01-04-2018, 11:55 AM
So you like John Martin. Did he do the tattoo on Ibrahimovic's back??

Hello sweep, well, inspiration maybe 😉.

BaggieBlood
01-04-2018, 12:15 PM
AlrIght SB, enjoy your footy match yesterday?

Art is subjective and will always create debate.

One man's hit is another man's s hit.

Talking s hit Imo Emin and Hurst's stuff is laughable, in fact most of the stuff at places like the Tate modern is not for me.

Roy Lichtenstein (probably spelt wrong) is a good Imo and his collection at the gugenheim in new York is very good.

My favourite is Lowry's going to the match.

I relate to it and therefore I like it.

Re the mention of the fake and fortunate programme, I watch that too and found it fascinating when modern techniques found another picture under the actual picture on show.

9goals2hattricks3pen
01-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Talking s hit Imo Emin and Hurst's stuff is laughable, in fact most of the stuff at places like the Tate modern is not for me.

Roy Lichtenstein (probably spelt wrong) is a good Imo and his collection at the gugenheim in new York is very good.

Re the mention of the fake and fortunate programme, I watch that too and found it fascinating when modern techniques found another picture under the actual picture on show.

Big favourite of mine is Mackenzie Thorpe's football paintings. Particuarly like "In The Crowd." He's a Boro fan hence the red and white colours. Also a sculpture.

SwedishBaggie
01-04-2018, 02:45 PM

I’m alright, and the footy was fun, back to the roots watching non league.

Art is def a subjective thing, and will always raise opinions.

boingy
01-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Painting is like Music, everybody thinks its easy. You just "Knock up a painting" or "Knock out some music" My wife paints and I produce music and supply tracks to producers for film, TV, or commercial use. Its a really hard business full of hard nosed people. My wife's last painting she spent the best part of a month on, layer by layer creating the depth. My last Album took me 800 hours from start to finish. I think the problem here is the over evaluation in monetary terms for everything and the disparity between some talented people getting nothing and others become millionaires. I cant argue with that. Van Gogh broke barriers in his time and was all about colour and impact. Rothko although admittedly it just looks like blocks of colour, that too is about layer after layer producing a depth which apparently you have to see the original to "Get it"....Its not my thing to be honest but some people get a lot from it. Its all good fun. I'm not trying to be a snob honest. Just adding to the conversation, as with anything you can think what you like.

john1565
08-04-2018, 07:17 PM
@sweeper5
Thanks for replying his question to me :star: