PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich Town Post Match Thoughts

CAMiller
22-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Well it's only the fifth time we've been here this season so enjoy it!

Maybe spare a thought for Orient who today have been relegated from the Football League?

Lolmorgan
22-04-2017, 04:22 PM
WEll done the Millers well over due but we will take it.Who would have thought after our Wembley win Orient would be out of the football league now.Also a big well done to Shrewsbury.

mikemiller
22-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Been to the match and the Millers actually deserved to win! The Ipswich Town team included many reserves. although they still looked more like a proper team than Birmingham City did. Ajayi was playing well when he went off injured...but Warney put Vaulks at centre back, even though we had Belaid on the bench! I know it's early days, but Bray looked like a poor-man's Forde on this performance. Adeyemi was hobbling, but moving about faster than usual. He had a good game and took his goal well. Taylor had a good game apart from final pass or shot as usual. He was brought down for the penalty which Danny Ward took and was fairly easily saved. Ward never looked confident in his run-up, made it blindingly obvious where to was going to put the ball....that wouldn't have been too bad if he had hit the ball hard, but he didn't....then he went off injured shortly afterwards. Clarke-Harris came on in the second half, and looked fitter, and more effective than Morris! Still not sure if Warney knows what he is doing though tactically ...
Let's hope that the injuries are not serious

millmoormagic
22-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Simply this :D:D

sawmiller
22-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Simply this :D:D

times two!

great_fire
22-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Give Bray and JCH a start next week.

Pocket rocket
22-04-2017, 04:51 PM
No complaints a win at last and Wood man of match for me.

loyalmiller
22-04-2017, 04:56 PM
We are starting to look a lot more organised over the last few games so perhaps Warne knows more about football than some think.

sawmiller
22-04-2017, 04:59 PM
We are starting to look a lot more organised over the last few games so perhaps Warne knows more about football than some think.

bit radical loyal - here's hoping so, and to the recovery of some self belief

great_fire
22-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Yes but he's been manager since beginning of December 2016.

lbj
22-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Semi was passing like he was at Twickenham - two very poor sides today and as for organised ?

I think if 5/6 passes consecutively and that would be it.....they should have won on clear cut chances but just an end of season jaunt for them.....and we snatched a win....

JCH was good when he came on - bringing people into the game.

No Warne got a result due to Ipswichs mentality today....gave the ball away like a Sunday team...

Nothing to write home about really but if Warnsey says he's "Satisfied" then that's BAD !

We need a lot more discipline in the squad - and hard man Warne is banning phones.....sounds like sixth form to me...!

shshsh22
22-04-2017, 05:25 PM
A sort of FA cup game.A team from the lower leagues just about beat a team of higher league reserves.Nobody cares.

rolymiller
22-04-2017, 05:25 PM
We won in a nowt game but I will take it with the clean sheet. Think Mick Mccarthy has been very generous with us this season. Thanks big Mick.

The penalty incident was written in the stars. It was obvious that if we were to actually get a pen we would make a balls up of it.

millertop
22-04-2017, 05:30 PM
O'Donnell seems to be getting more confident
Crap 1st half from Fisher bet better 2nd half
Ajayi was having a good game until his injury
Wood good game
Mattock wasn't getting up enough to help out
Adeyemi didn't do anything until he scored
Taylor was all over pitch and gets my MOTM
Forde did ok
Morris needs more work on the training pitch
Bray looked like he would have been blown over if a gust of wind arrived ;D
JCH did well
Ward was getting on my nerves and you could see there was no way he was going to score that pen :mad:
Vaulks shouldn't be playing CB
Good game from Smallwood, getting him signed up for next season
Still not convinced Warney knows his tactics
Ref had his blinkers on, nowt new

Boring game, they would have won easy with their first team out

Get in we won!!!

Sorry to see Orient gone

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
22-04-2017, 05:32 PM
I care. Some positives from the young players we've got on long deals and happy with the win. :)

UTM!

sawmiller
22-04-2017, 05:35 PM
We won roly - for the fans sake, it is welome - won't do the players' morale any harm either. We've lost against worse sides this season

Pocket rocket
22-04-2017, 05:36 PM
Some people just like moaning they just can't help themselves.

gwru
22-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Warney playing Taylor on the left, sooner see Newell. Subs JCH should have been 1st one on. Funny how we see games different. O'Donnell looks more confident. Ajayi was the pick of the defence till he went off. Fisher the same ok till he gets the ball & gets out of position. Wood looked slow in the 2nd half to me. Mattock average at best. Vaulks what I've seen his best position is R back. Smallwood & Ademeyi did there job in midfield. Taylor what I saw today can leave for me. Forde did well when he came on. D Ward not in the game really but were was the service, no width. Morris wouldn't keep him, no aggression. Bray not ready.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
22-04-2017, 05:50 PM
I think Taylor has been a lot better recently, been putting a lot more crosses in which have good ones. I think both Forde and Taylor will be great next season, they've both been good leaugue one players in the past.

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-04-2017, 05:52 PM
My thoughts?

Ipswich are (as far as I know) the only team in our division not to beat us this season lol
We get our first penalty and miss it lol
Taylor man if match, double lol
The player likely to win player of the season isn't ours.

Overall though we played ok, yes Ipswich were a bit clueless but we stuck in there.

We still need a major clearout of the squad and we desperately need a set of decent team coaches.

I can't see Warne's reluctance to put on JCH when a presence up front is what we cry out for.

Long term I think that was the last time we will see Danny Ward in a Rotherham shirt and also I think we've already seen Frecklington in a Millers shirt, both will be gone.

But hey ho, no need to be miserable, we won.

gwru
22-04-2017, 06:25 PM
O'Donnell seems to be getting more confident
Crap 1st half from Fisher bet better 2nd half
Ajayi was having a good game until his injury
Wood good game
Mattock wasn't getting up enough to help out
Adeyemi didn't do anything until he scored
Taylor was all over pitch and gets my MOTM
Forde did ok
Morris needs more work on the training pitch
Bray looked like he would have been blown over if a gust of wind arrived ;D
JCH did well
Ward was getting on my nerves and you could see there was no way he was going to score that pen :mad:
Vaulks shouldn't be playing CB
Good game from Smallwood, getting him signed up for next season
Still not convinced Warney knows his tactics
Ref had his blinkers on, nowt new

Boring game, they would have won easy with their first team out

Get in we won!!!

Sorry to see Orient gone

I must go to a different game. Remember Ipswich played nearly there reserve side. O'Donnell did nothing wrong. Fisher, Wood & Mattock didn't inspire me. Ajayi yes our best player. Forde & JCH improved side when they came on. Taylor terrible on the left, on the right he tries to go past his man but his little legs won't take him there. Belaid is on the bench but we put Vaulks at centre back. Think Warney did that cause he knew he needed JCH on but he'd used 2 subs. Morris no fight, impact or presence. Wouldn't keep him.

mikemiller
22-04-2017, 07:08 PM
I must go to a different game. Remember Ipswich played nearly there reserve side. O'Donnell did nothing wrong. Fisher, Wood & Mattock didn't inspire me. Ajayi yes our best player. Forde & JCH improved side when they came on. Taylor terrible on the left, on the right he tries to go past his man but his little legs won't take him there. Belaid is on the bench but we put Vaulks at centre back. Think Warney did that cause he knew he needed JCH on but he'd used 2 subs. Morris no fight, impact or presence. Wouldn't keep him.

Not really sure what kind of forward Morris is supposed to be- doesn't win much in the air, doesn't hustle and bustle opposition defenders, doesn't shoot at goal much - is he supposed to be like Tony Andreu, playing behind the front two? No doubt that this is all part of Warney's tactical masterplan

MILLERSTALE
22-04-2017, 07:10 PM

O'Donnell did nothing wrong apart from dropping a catch ! which in every other game this season would have resulted in a goal against us !
I agree with the Fisher bit, but Mattock who I would not give another contract too put a shift in, but Wood again was excellent, he has an obvious lack of pace but that is not a mistake,it is just a fact but I can't remember him putting a foot wrong ? In my opinion he was a man of the match candidate along with Ajaji, Vaux, Smallwood and Taylor !!

redhouse
22-04-2017, 08:07 PM
It wasn't a classic it wasn't a great performance but I enjoyed it and that is what matters and I care
:)

loyalmiller
22-04-2017, 08:31 PM
A few have mentioned Ipswich making 9 changes and effectively putting out a reserve team but we can only play the side put out in front of us, in my opinion it shouldn't detract from a good performance and a great victory.

There's even an argument to say that at this time of the season and given both teams positions it could be tougher to play the fringe players who will be really trying as apposed to the regulars who may have already had one foot on the beach.

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-04-2017, 08:42 PM
To me Smallwood Man of the Match.

Morris can't win a ball in the air, Warne should have started with JCH, the team need 2 full backs, Fisher & Mattock are not the answer,same with a centre back, the club need to get in for Farrend Rawson, contract up at Derby County in June, on loan at Coventry at the moment, big strong lad who would command the defence.

loyalmiller
22-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Bit unfair to just say O'Donnell "did nothing wrong" the guy breathed confidence through the defence and his double save in the 1st half was breathtaking.

Same with Fisher, a bit out of sorts 1st half but put his head where it matters to dive in and head the ball off the attackers boot and stop a certain goal, minutes later he's clearing off the line

This lads only young and will come good, cut him some slack.

Agree with Morris, Just going through the motions may as well send him back now.

Also agree with an earlier poster re Danny Ward. Didn't look interested all match and it was really pizzing me off with his general mardiness, should've taken the money in the last window.

gm_gm
23-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Dire first half as both teams looked poor, better 2nd half and good to see JCH have an impact.

Not sure what Morris brings, let's hope he improves

jakethemiller
23-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Well it was a win at last, albeit against a poor Ipswich side. I couldn't understand why Woods was in the side and Belaid on the bench, although Woods did OK, I was even more gobsmacked when he wasn't brought on for Ajayi. As with previous managers there seems to be a reluctance to play him, the only criticism I've heard from fans he is prone to a mistake, but so was Arnie and who wouldn't want a fit Ice prince in our back four now, perhaps it's Belaid's attitude or performance off the pitch that's the problem, who knows. Why bring Bray on for Ward, yes the lad needs game time but he's had plenty of chances before for that and not been brought on. When Forde came on for Ajayi we had 3 wingers on the pitch and none of them can beat a man. JCH should have been on for Ward no argument. As for Fisher initially I thought he was work in progress but he's going backwards, why does he always throw himself on the floor, the ploy was cottoned onto by the ref and caused us problems, yes he did have the goal line clearance, perhaps we should try him in the net. Overall pleased we won and we deserved too, but further evidence of Warne's failings tactically.

sawmiller
23-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Warne is on a steep learning curve - that's why the appointment of an experienced assistant manager will be crucial. Could we - dare I say it - see the rehabilitation of Dex next season?