PDA

View Full Version : Derby County Post Match Thoughts

CAMiller
07-05-2017, 06:17 AM
No you didn't oversleep and miss the match but being a true plastic I refuse to drag myself up between 4am and 6am for a 'dead rubber'.

Add your cheers or groans here around 1:50pm your time when thankfully the nightmare that has been the 2016-17 season will finally be over and LBJ will finally be able to move on. Well, at least one of those two statements will be true XD

monty_rhodes
07-05-2017, 06:59 AM
No you didn't oversleep and miss the match but being a true plastic I refuse to drag myself up between 4am and 6am for a 'dead rubber'.

Add your cheers or groans here around 1:50pm your time when thankfully the nightmare that has been the 2016-17 season will finally be over and LBJ will finally be able to move on. Well, at least one of those two statements will be true XD

I'm surprised lbj hasn't amended AS's Wikipedia entry to put a more positive gloss on his Millers tenure.

a123
07-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Thank **** this season is now history.

rolymiller
07-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Very pleased today: We didn't concede 100 goals for the season. Hurray.

lbj
07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Thanks Cam - mourning this season is over......

I got quite involved this year and I started by protecting the manager from the normal basic - non-football insults - adding balance to the importance of waving.....it is important....but I wonder how those idiots effected the managers & teams affection to the club when they atrociously attacked them when leaving the Barnsley pitch.

These things do affect players!

Anyway....Burton stayed up doing precisely what we were aiming to do but they stuck to the manager and bought players for this year whereas we sacked our manager and had OLD old fashioned players not up for this league and a woeful budget.

The core squad now is younger on average and will be a force next season if managed properly.

Deeply regretful season but - not my money - not my decisions....we are down and Warne is the Gaffa.

That retained list will not be draconian and those individuals that were the real problem this year will get new contracts
( well I'll be suprised if Warne weilds the axe to harshly )

The plans for our new facilities is the key to the Millers future....Sadly I think a glorified industrial unit won't cut the mustard....I'm really looking forward to seeing those plans....

It's only football.....fresh bottle of a nice malt....gardening leave....UTM

mikemiller
07-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Not been today, but had a look at the match stats... 40% possession for a home game, no corners won at all (we are awful from corners, so it doesn't make much dfference, I suppose) - poor. Having said that, it is still an improvement on what we were doing under Stubbs . Ten shots today, six on target... if we had a decent striker we might have won (same old story). Managed to avoid 100 goals conceded for the season , managed to restrict opposition to roughly same number of shots that we had today, rather than 20 or 30 - no way would either have happened under Stubbs.

We are slowly, though only slightly, improving , and worringly, still a long way off the level we need to be at to compete properly next season. Re penalty - why was JCH back in his own penalty area, given his previous defensive blunders? Leave him upfield - who knows, he might actually score a goal at the right end of the pitch! He may have just played his way out of getting a new contract. We're still weak up front, and have the habit of conceding a late goal in most games... we're going to continue to struggle next season unless that changes, and I'm not confident that it will change with Warney in charge. I hope that I am wrong.

tony260674
07-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Least said about the first half the better. Second half a game of footy broke out. Lovely cross by Mattock for the goal, where has that been all season? JCH just needs to put the ball through to Adeyemi who is coming through like a train and its game over then Adeyemi misses a sitter and the rest is history. Derby step it up a bit, Ince throws himself over in the box with the slightest of contact and gets the sort of pen we never get. A few weeks ago we would have crumbled and lost so an improvement of sorts. The two full backs who have been awful all year were our best players with Vaulks doing well in the middle as well.

a123
07-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Very pleased today: We didn't concede 100 goals for the season. Hurray.

Yeah but we're now the proud holders of the lowest Championship points total since 3 points for a win was introduced.

I'm sorry but an apparent end of season flourish against Ipswich reserves and Preston and Derby teams that were already on the beach don't fill me with confidence for next season.

Lets see what the retained list looks like and our transfer dealings over the next few weeks and who knows maybe I will be able to muster some enthusiasm that next season is going to be better than this one.

rolymiller
07-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Good points well made a123. Its up to TS now to get the quality we need for Div 1.

millertop
07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Bit of a boring game.
Don't think many first team will leave
Circuit is leaving us again XD

millertop
07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Future star ;D

Yak
07-05-2017, 02:38 PM
He's bigger than Taylor

redhouse
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Thought there was some decent performances today not least from Fisher who has had some stick on here I liked how we tried to play some football through the midfield ( Frecks makes a difference in that department ) not sure about JCH but then I never have been . But what I enjoyed most was that young lad leading all the players and clapping the fans ( priceless ) :)

leedsmiller
07-05-2017, 03:39 PM
An encouraging end to the most dreadful season, accepting it was end-of-season, but please Warney stop trying to turn every interview into a joke session, it smacks of immaturity and insecurity and it comes across as unprofessional. We might have played like clowns at times but we don't need the manager acting like one.

mellowmiller
07-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah but we're now the proud holders of the lowest Championship points total since 3 points for a win was introduced.

I'm sorry but an apparent end of season flourish against Ipswich reserves and Preston and Derby teams that were already on the beach don't fill me with confidence for next season.

Lets see what the retained list looks like and our transfer dealings over the next few weeks and who knows maybe I will be able to muster some enthusiasm that next season is going to be better than this one.
Fair enough, but what would you have said if we'd lost those three games?

frogmiller
07-05-2017, 04:34 PM

I'd have still said thank feck this season is over!

This late run maybe another false dawn!

mellowmiller
07-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Did anyone understand the thinking behind Purrington coming on when Taylor got injured?
It seemed a very negative substitution to me particularly as Purrington's first instinct always seems to be to pass the ball backwards.

kentmillerman
07-05-2017, 04:48 PM
From what I saw today, and, I am no fan of the two in charge, I think we can have a decent next season. Me thinks promotion back to the championship is a bit of a dream, but a decent shot at the playoffs would be nice.

redhouse
07-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Did anyone understand the thinking behind Purrington coming on when Taylor got injured?
It seemed a very negative substitution to me particularly as Purrington's first instinct always seems to be to pass the ball backwards.

Only reason I could think of was to help Mattock with Ince he was getting a tad overrun with the fullback pushing on as well

mellowmiller
07-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Only reason I could think of was to help Mattock with Ince he was getting a tad overrun with the fullback pushing on as well

That's what we assumed but Purrington offered absolutely nothing going forward in contrast to what Taylor had been doing.

kentmillerman
07-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Think he is a defender mellow.

redhouse
07-05-2017, 05:09 PM
That's what we assumed but Purrington offered absolutely nothing going forward in contrast to what Taylor had been doing.

I know the other thing would have been put Bray on the right and move Frecks to the left just depends on how you see it at the time possibly doing it as he did was a bit negative or didn't particularly want to move Frecks

mellowmiller
07-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Think he is a defender mellow.
Allegedly 😉

gwru
07-05-2017, 06:20 PM
What was Taylor offering? Keep repeating myself to small. Needs 1 1/2 steps to most full backs 1. Only fault I could find no width. Frecks my MOTM. Subline ghosting in for his goal.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
07-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I think Taylor will rip teams to shreds next season myself, Fisher my MOTM.

gwru
07-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Taylor would get shut. I want a proper left sided player. Pringle?

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
07-05-2017, 06:48 PM
I disagree buddy but would love Pringle back too.

a123
07-05-2017, 06:55 PM

I'd long ago lost any interest in this season and have held the viewpoint that the next few days/weeks will shape how I feel about our chances next season.

If I'm honest I didn't want Warne as manager but we're stuck with him now,so lets see if he is capable of producing a hell of a lot better than we have witnessed in his caretaker spell.

As things stand I am underwhelmed it's up to the club to give us some positive actions to enable us to start believing lessons have been learnt and things are starting to change.

millertop
07-05-2017, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=millertop;38520264]Bit of a boring game.
Don't think many first team will leave
Circuit is leaving us again XD

Mike Preston also leaving