PDA

View Full Version : Foreign investment ?

oldcolner
30-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Do we want foreign investment?

Garlick says "We’re one of three or four clubs now who are British owned in the Premier League, but we get calls all the time" and talks about the pros and cons.
“If you look and think you want to push for the top seven, you’d have to get outside investment. “I don’t think we’re quite at that phase yet. “It’s difficult to bottom out whether an owner is going to be bad if they are foreign, how do you do your real due diligence? Not just whether they’ve got a big cheque to buy the club, but how they are going to behave? “Most people seem to pass the fit and proper persons test!

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/clarets/outside-investment-could-be-*****-for-clarets-to-grow-1-8568189

I'm happy to stay as we are.

The Bedlington Terrier
30-05-2017, 07:34 AM
A tough call that's for sure.

sinkov
30-05-2017, 07:37 AM
'We get calls all the time', first time I've heard that, previously they seem to have been searching for foreign investors but saying none were interested, certainly that was the case in Kilby's time. There seem to be stories about wealthy foreigners wanting to buy English clubs appearing all the time, but I've yet to see one involving BFC.

And I'm with OC, let's just muddle along with our current set-up and pray Sean Dyche can continue to perform miracles. If you want to know what foreign owners can do for your club, FFS just look at Blackburn.

The Bedlington Terrier
30-05-2017, 07:40 AM
That is the reason I think it is such a tough call sinkov.

Due diligence can only go so far. Perhaps one of JB's far east associates could be coerced into coughing up?

sinkov
30-05-2017, 12:40 PM
That is the reason I think it is such a tough call sinkov.

Due diligence can only go so far. Perhaps one of JB's far east associates could be coerced into coughing up?

That's all well and good BT, but what happens on the day he decides to stop coughing up ? Any potential foreign investor in BFC has not got the interests of the club at heart, he only sees the PL spewing loads of wonga out in all directions and fancies getting his hands on some of the loot. If he was a Burnley fan he'd have invested years ago when we really needed the money. We don't need foreign investment, we've got where we are without it, they can feck off and buy Blackburn off Venkys if they really want to get involved in English football. But they won't will they, I wonder why not.

outwoodclaret
30-05-2017, 03:58 PM
I feel a certain pride that it is our town our club and our Turf. Not sure how a foreign owner would add to that.

oldcolner
30-05-2017, 05:16 PM
I feel a certain pride that it is our town our club and our Turf. Not sure how a foreign owner would add to that.
There is much to be said for having people committed to the town and team rather than to personal profit. If someone like that lives abroad I have no problem, but there are many folk abroad wanting to make a fast buck or to borrow on our club and as Garlick says everyone seems to pass the FA suitability criteria .. even those with dodgy backgrounds.
Even locals can kill the club as Rangers found out with Craig Whyte.

Norder
30-05-2017, 05:32 PM

oh yes - things are a little more complicated at the top.....as to compete suitably at this level - money has to be spent - big in and bigger out...no trickle tricks here....this being the big boys domain, am sure Garlick/Banzai would very much like some assistance of wealthy proportion to relieve the pressure.....of course, they'd be the controlling shareholders - doubt they'd give that up...not enough money in it ?...so just needs to be an attractive enough proposition for the potential investor....does the future have a rosy enough look to it.....though does it even need to - when there's so many clowns with money to burn.

:D

araceli
01-08-2017, 09:17 AM
There is much to be said for having people committed to the town and team rather than to personal profit. If someone like that lives abroad I have no problem, but there are many folk abroad wanting to make a fast buck or to borrow on our club and as Garlick says everyone seems to pass the FA suitability criteria .. even those with dodgy backgrounds.
Even locals can kill the club as Rangers found out with Craig Whyte.

Absolutely agree with you

oldcolner
02-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Interesting to see that Pompey looks to be getting a US £6m Disney takeover having been run by supporters for 5 years and just gained promotion. I might have thought once bitten for them.

Will this make them a Mickey Mouse club? ;D

Portsmouth: Supporters' Trust approves Michael Eisner's takeover proposal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40000639

thedonz
02-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Your on good form today OC. I think that visit to watch the Clarets has been time well spent .

Long may our club be in the hands of people who care wholeheartedly about it.

oldcolner
03-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Yes donzy, long may we stay a locally owned family club.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-08-2017, 08:07 AM
If it ain't broke, let's not try and fix it? The Premier league and Football League is littered with dysfunctional and badly run football clubs, ours is definitely not amongst that lot.

Celebrate what we have and let's go for a top ten finish!

thedonz
03-08-2017, 08:56 AM
"Now when I'm gone I want you to look after this club and stand no **** from anybody! Is that clear Jon?"

"Yes gaffer, very clear"

sinkov
03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
They don't look like two people you'd want to fall out with do they ? If they called me a liar, I think I'd just say, "Aye, awreet then".

oldcolner
03-08-2017, 12:01 PM
"Now when I'm gone I want you to look after this club and stand no **** from anybody! Is that clear Jon?"

"Yes gaffer, very clear"

Looks like Sean enjoys the mature player input