PDA

View Full Version : 99 Not Out

9goals2hattricks3pen
16-06-2017, 08:17 AM
My mum is 99 today and as compos mentis as me or anyone else on this Board. I know this because she said to me "In all my years I've never seen the Albion play such boring negative football. This bloke in charge makes the Don Howe team look like Barcelona"

And nobody can argue with me mum (not today anyway)

Bless you mum and thanks for everything.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
16-06-2017, 08:57 AM
HAPPY 99th BIRTHDAY TO YOU MOM 9goals :star::star:

mickd1961
16-06-2017, 09:12 AM
A story to gladden the heart.

Well done to her and to getting the telegram from Liz next year.

WBA1955
16-06-2017, 09:56 AM
My mum is 99 today and as compos mentis as me or anyone else on this Board. I know this because she said to me "In all my years I've never seen the Albion play such boring negative football. This bloke in charge makes the Don Howe team look like Barcelona"

:star:

9goals2hattricks3pen
16-06-2017, 10:29 AM
A story to gladden the heart.

Well done to her and to getting the telegram from Liz next year.

You don't get a telegram from HRH these days. You have to go online beforehand and request a message be sent, not sure in what form you receive it.

I blame Tony Pulis.

goodlordmurphy
16-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Happy birthday to your mum. cock a snoot at the palace and send HRH a telegram and tell her she made it....Boing Boing!!!

Q165
16-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Happy Birthday to mum! Great story. I bet she has some really good memories as well

baggieal
16-06-2017, 01:05 PM

That's lovely to hear! Can you persuade her to come to the match with a rolling bin?

Albionic68
16-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Nice one 9Goals and many happy returns of the day to your mom B) .

holmleighchris
16-06-2017, 04:18 PM
That's quite an innings. All my best to your mum and to you 923.

9goals2hattricks3pen
17-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Happy Birthday to mum! Great story. I bet she has some really good memories as well

Remembering mum was born 5 months before WWI ended here are some of my favourite stories which might be entitled 'How Times Change'

She lived in a 3 bed house in Lloyd Street West Brom one of 9 children. The 6 girls top and tailed in 1 bed and the 3 boys in another.

Easter Sunday was special as everyone got a whole fried egg for breakfast. The rest of the year they got half an egg each for Sunday breakfast(how many chocolate eggs do your grandkids get now?)

In the 30's her dad went to Canada to find work. It didn't work out and he came back to the UK after less than a year.

During WWII her younger sister (who was a parachute packer) got pregnant by a married RAF pilot. Her sister was banished from the house and sent to a house for 'fallen women' in Lichfield. The rest of the family were banned from visiting her. Mum's war work was spring making at George Salters.

I was there when she was telling her then 10 year old grandaughter how when she was 10 kids would 'entertain' themselves by walking the 3 miles to the tram station picking tram tickets. A ticket ending in 7 was lucky, one adding up to 21 extra so and a ticket ending in 7 and adding up to 21 a rare treasure indeed. My niece replied with "If it was that far why didn't she get her mum or dad to drive her"

In the 60's she worked nights in the kitchen at the Adelphi. At the end of one night one of the group who had been playing came and asked if he could have a ham roll explaining he didn't have the money to buy it. The staff looked to the manageress Miss Rooney if that was OK, she flatly refused. The guy asking was Paul McCartney.

I can't help thinking I have no such interesting anecdotes to pass onto my kids. Don't consider my life to in anyway been boring just that mum's time from 1918 to my first memories from the early 60's to be so very different from now. Some in a good way some not.

BaggieBlood
17-06-2017, 07:15 PM
I nearly didn't read this thread as I thought it was about cricket, and I'm not a fan.

I'm glad I did.

Happy 99th to your mum 9 goals, I hope she had a great day and has got her breath back after blowing out 99 candles.

Your last post was very interesting, it's amazing how in such a relative small amount of time like your mum's lifetime things have advanced.

Having watched the Saturday men which was kindly put on this site by ww, it really was a different era.

I some times pinch myself with mankind can do these days.

I've recently heard a saying I've never heard before which is "what a time to be alive ".

I agree with that statement whole heartedly.