PDA

View Full Version : Ascot

9goals2hattricks3pen
19-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Off to Ascot Tues and Weds. Tomorrow on the train with the missus and Weds on the coach with a load of blokes from the local starting at 8 with a full English and a couple of pints. Never come away winning yet anyone got any tips?

WBA1955
19-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Is'there'a'dress'code

mickd1961
19-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Is'there'a'dress'code

I like the "dress code" at Aintree in particular.

All the Scouse birds turn up dressed as slappers and prostitutes.

I'm not into horse racing at all but Aintree is a good watch.

Yarmbaggie
19-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Off to Ascot Tues and Weds. Tomorrow on the train with the missus and Weds on the coach with a load of blokes from the local starting at 8 with a full English and a couple of pints. Never come away winning yet anyone got any tips?

Never been to Royal Ascot but have been to Champions Day. One of the best sporting occasions in the calendar and very jealous. Have a great time both of you.

I have done a £20 double on Ribchester in the first at Evens and Lady Aurelia at 10/3. Hoping it comes in but very competitive racing all week.

9goals2hattricks3pen
19-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Is'there'a'dress'code

We don't go in one of 'posh' stands so you can wear pretty much anything. The missus loves to dress up for it and I've got a fetching little off the shoulder number showing just a bit of knee and cleavage.

One thing for sure at least one of the 'youngsters' on the coach will be flat out on the lawns having thrown up. I keep telling em it's all about pace, it's all about pace.

Q165
19-06-2017, 07:55 PM
We went on a coach trip to Royal Ascot probably 1978. When we got there we had the choice of going into the main stand area containing the paddocks. It sounded a bit of a rip off but we went for it. A really good decision. We were able to wander freely amongst the jockeys (Carson, Piggot, Eddery etc). Going to the paddock it came as a bit of shock when I found myself walking along next to the Queen, Princess Margaret (looking for the bar) and others. A good day out.

mickd1961
19-06-2017, 07:57 PM
We went on a coach trip to Royal Ascot probably 1978. When we got there we had the choice of going into the main stand area containing the paddocks. It sounded a bit of a rip off but we went for it. A really good decision. We were able to wander freely amongst the jockeys (Carson, Piggot, Eddery etc). Going to the paddock it came as a bit of shock when I found myself walking along next to the Queen, Princess Margaret (looking for the bar) and others. A good day out.

Always meant to ask this Q but is that you doing the handstand?

goodlordmurphy
19-06-2017, 08:01 PM

I take an avid interest in horse racing and my money will be on Marsha in the 3-40...10/3 still readily available but being backed advise to do it tonight and wait near the counter to pick up your winnings....:)...always the optimist.

Q165
19-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Always meant to ask this Q but is that you doing the handstand?

That's me! Taken in thee late 80's at our old place. Even though I am far from the house I have got no shoes on and my socks are very damp. I must have been pi55ing around for the kids. I certainly cannot remember being able to do that. And I have my glasses on

mickd1961
19-06-2017, 08:15 PM
That's me! Taken in thee late 80's at our old place. Even though I am far from the house I have got no shoes on and my socks are very damp. I must have been pi55ing around for the kids. I certainly cannot remember being able to do that. And I have my glasses on

"Late 80's Q?

Christ.....you look ancient then.....you must be 107 now :-)

Q165
19-06-2017, 08:26 PM
"Late 80's Q?

Christ.....you look ancient then.....you must be 107 now :-)

Cheeky bugger. I am 65 so was in my late 30's then. I started losing my hair very early, something that has always been the subject of much merriment. I also started going grey quite young.

mickd1961
19-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Cheeky bugger. I am 65 so was in my late 30's then. I started losing my hair very early, something that has always been the subject of much merriment. I also started going grey quite young.

At first glance I thought your head was hidden by a football Q :-)

Maybe you could update you Avatar with a new image in a similar pose!

BTW......my Avatar isn't me in case you were wondering!?

Q165
20-06-2017, 05:53 AM

Very droll. New image in a similar pose?! The mere thought of it makes me feel queasy.

On the subject of 'wisecracks'. I was playing a version of I-spy with my young granddaughter. Instead of letters you had to choose 'something the colour...'. it was dark so the choices were minimal. I thought we had been through the lot e.g white (car headlights), red (car tail lights). But she wanted one last game and chose something the colour white. I tried my hardest to work this out and she was desperate to give me the answer. I was genuinely stumped and conceded defeat to this very young child. 'OK I give up. What is it?'. Gleefully she announced 'It's your hair!'. As I stated my mock shock and attempted to throttle her it was all my daughter and her husband, sitting in the front, could do not to burst out laughing with her.

Come on. I am sure you could do something equally silly. ;D

Yarmbaggie
20-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Never been to Royal Ascot but have been to Champions Day. One of the best sporting occasions in the calendar and very jealous. Have a great time both of you.

I have done a £20 double on Ribchester in the first at Evens and Lady Aurelia at 10/3. Hoping it comes in but very competitive racing all week.

Awesome, hope some others got on. Paid £189 for £20 bet.

holmleighchris
20-06-2017, 03:15 PM

I knew it wasn't you Mick. From when we met I recall your eyes being red, otherwise very similar.

TipperaryBaggie
20-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Well done Yarm, a nice pick up there. Both were awesome today. Managed to keep my head above water with Barney Roy in the big race and had the last winner at twenties.

9goals2hattricks3pen
20-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Off to buy a new shirt as I lost the one I had on today. Always tomorrow.

goodlordmurphy
20-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Nice double Yarmbaggie...well done.

goodlordmurphy
21-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Yarmbaggie...just wondering if you got on the 20/1 winner of the 5-35? Same trainer as Lady Aurelia same sire as Con Te Partiro

Yarmbaggie
21-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes I did but only had £1 ew. I picked it up from the Wesley Ward piece on the At the Races site. Very bullish about the horse and the trainer said that the horse had been beating Undrafted on his gallops. You may remember that one who won one of the big Ascot races in 2015. I took the 12/1 in the morning but luckily for me on Best odds guaranteed with Bet 365 so got the 20/1.

Doesn't always come off though I had Yuften at 20/1 in the previous race and he had no chance running in a small group of 3 well away from the rest of the field. Did though have a fiver win on the French horse in the first at 3/1 and also the same on Qemah at 11/4 so very good day today. As you can see not a great amount staked any day and tend to get a bit defensive when I am on top as I don't like to give the winnings back to the bookies!

soulman101
21-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Did Lizzie from Buck house get there in time.I saw she left her hoss and cart to go to House of Lords and instead went in her Rolls Royce's.One was even used for her crown,why couldn't they put in the boot.

goodlordmurphy
21-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Yes I did but only had £1 ew. I picked it up from the Wesley Ward piece on the At the Races site. Very bullish about the horse and the trainer said that the horse had been beating Undrafted on his gallops. You may remember that one who won one of the big Ascot races in 2015. I took the 12/1 in the morning but luckily for me on Best odds guaranteed with Bet 365 so got the 20/1.

Doesn't always come off though I had Yuften at 20/1 in the previous race and he had no chance running in a small group of 3 well away from the rest of the field. Did though have a fiver win on the French horse in the first at 3/1 and also the same on Qemah at 11/4 so very good day today. As you can see not a great amount staked any day and tend to get a bit defensive when I am on top as I don't like to give the winnings back to the bookies!

Brilliant, and quite right to keep the winnings away from the bookies satchel....hope the run keeps going for you Yarm...good luck.

TipperaryBaggie
22-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Still in the black as I had a nice bet on Zhou Feng in the Royal Hunt Cup at 33-1. Followed this horse over a cliff this year so it was overdue. Like the look of Benbatl at 9-2 today. Ran well enough in the Derby to justify abet today.

goodlordmurphy
22-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Still in the black as I had a nice bet on Zhou Feng in the Royal Hunt Cup at 33-1. Followed this horse over a cliff this year so it was overdue. Like the look of Benbatl at 9-2 today. Ran well enough in the Derby to justify abet today.

Good luck TB more power to you...keep in front...

Yarmbaggie
22-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Well done yesterday. I too like Benbatl at an ew price but decided to just watch today.

goodlordmurphy
22-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Well done TB...maybe that should stand for Top Bombing now...:)

Yarmbaggie
23-06-2017, 06:01 AM
After missing out by not betting on a couple of winners yesterday playing today!!

One decent bet £20 win on Alpha Centuri at 9/4 in the first then a few fun £1 bets all of which I think have a chance,
Alpha C, Crystal Ocean & Caravaggio 20/1
Alpha C, Crystal Ocean & Blue Point 80/1
Crystal Ocean, Caravaggio & Winter 9/1
Crystal Ocean, Blue Point & Winter 40/1
Alpha C, Crystal Ocean Caravaggio & Winter 31.5/1
Winter best bet of the day but odds of 1/2 reflect that. Good luck to anyone having a bet.

TipperaryBaggie
23-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Heard good reports about Black Sails in the first race. Looks good each way value at 10-1. Apart from that, the rest of card looks very difficult today so maybe keep the powder dry until tomorrow

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Heard good reports about Black Sails in the first race. Looks good each way value at 10-1. Apart from that, the rest of card looks very difficult today so maybe keep the powder dry until tomorrow

Not too keen on the 2yo races and found today's Ascot the same as you...difficult

Found the 7-15 Bath to be of interest today Jersey Breeze and Powerful Dream looked to have it between them. I have done a split stake at 75% on Jersey Breeze at 7/2 and 25% on Powerful Dream at 3/1 which would give me my money back should he prevail.

I often do this in races with low number of runners where it is impossible to go e/w.

Good luck with Black Sails...

Yarmbaggie
23-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Not too keen on the 2yo races and found today's Ascot the same as you...difficult

Found the 7-15 Bath to be of interest today Jersey Breeze and Powerful Dream looked to have it between them. I have done a split stake at 75% on Jersey Breeze at 7/2 and 25% on Powerful Dream at 3/1 which would give me my money back should he prevail.

I often do this in races with low number of runners where it is impossible to go e/w.

I do like those type of races as wellt GLM.

If you have an account with Bet365 they do a good bet called Jollies &Nags. They give you the choice to bet on the Jollies, 2 sometimes 3 in the race, or the Nags, the rest. In the 7.15 at Bath as an example your 2 horses are given as the Jollies Bet at 8/11 or you can bet on the rest at Evens.

I like this Bet as if you do bet on the Jollies you will on your full stake at 8/11 no matter which one wins, I.e bet of £11 pick up £19 if either one wins. Similar in practice to splitting the bet as you have done but you are no bothered which one wins. Whenever I split the bet you can be sure the one that will win less is the one that comes in.

I also like to bet on the Nags when I think that the Jollies are vulnerable for whatever reason.

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 01:06 PM
I do like those type of races as wellt GLM.

If you have an account with Bet365 they do a good bet called Jollies &Nags. They give you the choice to bet on the Jollies, 2 sometimes 3 in the race, or the Nags, the rest. In the 7.15 at Bath as an example your 2 horses are given as the Jollies Bet at 8/11 or you can bet on the rest at Evens.

I like this Bet as if you do bet on the Jollies you will on your full stake at 8/11 no matter which one wins, I.e bet of £11 pick up £19 if either one wins. Similar in practice to splitting the bet as you have done but you are no bothered which one wins. Whenever I split the bet you can be sure the one that will win less is the one that comes in.

I also like to bet on the Nags when I think that the Jollies are vulnerable for whatever reason.

I don't like to get over involved in something like the Jollies and Nags bets, with so few horses in the 7-15 it gives me lots of time go into it with a fine tooth comb, the trick is having the right odds to use a split stake to the proportions that I have used. Having said that, they still go tits up at times but a big enough percentage of wins to make a decent profit over time.

Good luck with your bets today...

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Unlucky with Black Sails TB..." it" happens, live to fight another day...

TipperaryBaggie
23-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Would you believe it - got good vibes locally about Black Sails and low and behold, the winner is owned by a crowd who live 3 miles from me!

Backed Aidens in first race tomorrow. A bit skinny odds but as they say, a winner is a winner and it might set me up for the day.

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 11:20 PM

1st and 2nd..love it when a plan comes together....:)

kettering_baggie
23-06-2017, 11:45 PM
I have never understood the appeal of nag racing, imo just an excuse to waste money on betting. To me, nag racing makes Pulisball look exciting! Better off staying in bed. Just my opinion, though, each to his own.

goodlordmurphy
24-06-2017, 07:57 AM
I have never understood the appeal of nag racing, imo just an excuse to waste money on betting. To me, nag racing makes Pulisball look exciting! Better off staying in bed. Just my opinion, though, each to his own.

Exactly KB each to his own. I have only been to three racecourses in my life but still make money from racing using percentages and races that fit the criteria. There are lots of races today yet I don't have an interest in any of them, only to watch and learn.

Patience really is a virtue when it comes to racing, one must never chase losses and throw good money after bad, walk away and fight another day.

Good luck KB.

TipperaryBaggie
24-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Well done last night GLM. Gives you some money to play with today.

goodlordmurphy
24-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Well done last night GLM. Gives you some money to play with today.

Thanks TB, but would you believe from all the decent racing today I can't find a race to invest in...still looking though...:)