PDA

View Full Version : O/T What is your favourite wine?

regis80
21-06-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm intrigued to know if anyone on here drinks wine. Red, White or Rose any particular type you like? Please don't think this is a wind up, I am genuinely intrigued.

Yarmbaggie
21-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Have to confess that red wine is my preferred tipple, although I do like a malt whiskey late at night, but not if I have already had a couple of glasses of red. I don't think they mix or at least my stomach doesn't seem to think so. I don't drink a lot, just a few glasses a week and prefer quality to quantity.

As to type I drink mainly Aussie or Spanish. Love Tempranillo grape and in particular Campo Viejo (Spanish Rioja region) and when it is on offer the Reserva is my ultimate treat and usual Fathers Day present. As to the Aussie great fan of most Shiraz but also love Merlot.
Not a fan of French red wine.

When the weather is hot as now, I must admit to enjoying a really cold rose, especially Beringer (Zinfandel Rose) from California but I try to keep that pretty quiet. Lovely drink though on its own, not with food.

goodlordmurphy
21-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Have to confess that red wine is my preferred tipple, although I do like a malt whiskey late at night, but not if I have already had a couple of glasses of red. I don't think they mix or at least my stomach doesn't seem to think so. I don't drink a lot, just a few glasses a week and prefer quality to quantity.

As to type I drink mainly Aussie or Spanish. Love Tempranillo grape and in particular Campo Viejo (Spanish Rioja region) and when it is on offer the Reserva is my ultimate treat and usual Fathers Day present. As to the Aussie great fan of most Shiraz but also love Merlot.
Not a fan of French red wine.

When the weather is hot as now, I must admit to enjoying a really cold rose, especially Beringer (Zinfandel Rose) from California but I try to keep that pretty quiet. Lovely drink though on its own, not with food.

Don't forget the old adage Yarm 'never mix the grape and the grain'....cheers.

WBA1955
21-06-2017, 11:26 PM
A'feckin''Mon'drinking'wine
You'are'a'nailed'on'office'worker

holmleighchris
22-06-2017, 05:38 AM
Usually share a bottle of white with the wife on a Saturday night if we are staying in though I prefer a good port. I quite like mead but I don't drink it often.I mainly drink beer, real ale. I just about never drink spirits, maybe the odd cocktail if it's offered to me.
As for which white wine, whatever is on sale!

Baggies_Boy_Tony
22-06-2017, 07:28 AM
I like a glass or two of red with my evening meal, quite like Toto Loco from Aldi, then a glass of Famous Grouse when relaxing in front of the tele later on.

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Barley wine's the only one I touch.

SwedishBaggie
22-06-2017, 01:26 PM

A good Barley Wine is awesome though!

Like red wine too, if it is a good one. Barolo, Amarone, and many others.

BaggieBlood
22-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Many on here like a good whine about Pulis.

regis80
22-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Some interesting answers there. Never heard of Barley wine. I've become more and more fond of wine in recent years, doesn't help when the missus glugs it down so much. A New zealand sauvignon blanc is a favorite.

Have you ever tried wine to pick out the flavours in them? I really don't know how people do it, some find a mango taste in white wines or even grapefruits.

A zinfandel is a very sweet wine Yarm, i agree cannot be drank with food though. Some of the red wines i've had, usually you can smell them in your pee next morning. They are strong in flavor.

55 I am an office worker but still see myself as a working class, i'll drink most alcohols if i'm honest. Cider used to be a favorite of mine, but only the good local stuff - which i find Cheddar in somerset to be the best. i reccomend the Legbender of anyone ever visits Cheddar.

goodlordmurphy
22-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Like a drop of Stingo do you TS?

Leicesterbaggie
22-06-2017, 04:07 PM
To be honest, at this moment driving through France in this heat, any white wine or any beer, as long as it's ice cold.

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Some interesting answers there. Never heard of Barley wine.

Can't believe that! I used to get Bass no.1 Barley down me instead of beer at one stage in my former alcoholic days!!
You don't seem to see it so much these days, but it was a lovely drink.

Acido
22-06-2017, 04:19 PM
To be honest, at this moment driving through France in this heat, any white wine or any beer, as long as it's ice cold.

Exactly, thats why I always do as well. I put my cans of lager/beer or even a bottle of white wine in the freezer for about half an hour, so its perfectly chilled. Dont give me any of this room temperature nonsense. :P

WBA1955
22-06-2017, 06:41 PM
You'never'hear'anyone'who'does'a'real'mans'job'clo cking'out'and'saying'i'could'murder'a'glass'of'win eXD

Acido
22-06-2017, 06:49 PM
You'never'hear'anyone'who'does'a'real'mans'job'clo cking'out'and'saying'i'could'murder'a'glass'of'win eXD

No, he would murder the whole bottle of wine rather than just a glass. ;D

WBA1955
22-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Beer'for'the'men'wine'for'the'women

Johnny on the spot 1
22-06-2017, 07:04 PM

Nice one Blood , 👍

albion68
22-06-2017, 07:07 PM
you'never'hear'anyone'who'does'a'real'mans'job'clo cking'out'and'saying'i'could'murder'a'glass'of'win exd. Like

phild
22-06-2017, 07:26 PM
The only time I've heard that expression is 'I could murder a cup of tea'

SwedishBaggie
22-06-2017, 07:38 PM

Like! :-)

Yarmbaggie
22-06-2017, 08:11 PM

Time and place for everything.
I have never heard any bloke at the end of a days work saying he could murder a glass of wine! Give me a really cold pint of lager then, especially when it is hot like now. I mainly drink red wine with a meal, but only 2 or 3 glasses a week, think it goes much better with food than beer or lager, unless you are having a curry of course.

WBA1955
22-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Yeah'wine'should'always'be'red;for'a'man'and'drank ,from'a'tankard'or'cows'horn'never'from'a'farty'gl ass

Albionic68
22-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Yeah'wine'should'always'be'red;for'a'man'and'drank ,from'a'tankard'or'cows'horn'never'from'a'farty'gl ass

;D ;D ;D ........... proper men need proper drinking games B) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-MmIt2ogqc

WBA53
22-06-2017, 11:07 PM
only like wine in my missus's fab gravy other than that cant say i really like it,a comfirmed ale hophead myself

holmleighchris
23-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Some interesting answers there. Never heard of Barley wine. I've become more and more fond of wine in recent years, doesn't help when the missus glugs it down so much. A New zealand sauvignon blanc is a favorite.

Have you ever tried wine to pick out the flavours in them? I really don't know how people do it, some find a mango taste in white wines or even grapefruits.

A zinfandel is a very sweet wine Yarm, i agree cannot be drank with food though. Some of the red wines i've had, usually you can smell them in your pee next morning. They are strong in flavor.

55 I am an office worker but still see myself as a working class, i'll drink most alcohols if i'm honest. Cider used to be a favorite of mine, but only the good local stuff - which i find Cheddar in somerset to be the best. i reccomend the Legbender of anyone ever visits Cheddar.

I think those who rant on about the aromas and various fruits in wine are pretentious prats. Anyone taken in by their murmurings are stupid prats. Those who pays more than a tenner for a bottle of wine are gormless prats.

Yarmbaggie
23-06-2017, 06:04 AM
I am with you on price Chris. Never pay more than £7 tops and that is for special occasions. Great value to be had in the £5 - £7 range and most supermarkets have 25% off if you buy 6 bottles quite regularly. I do my wine shopping then.

talkSAFT
23-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Getting off the wine subject, I don't 'get' lager either. It tastes insipid to me and I can't understand how it's taken over from beer. Lager used to be a girls' drink until the 70s.

phild
23-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Even worse was when someone decided to add lime to it

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Lots of judgemental bollox going on here all for the personal taste of a glass of wine or a glass of beer, surely a little of what you fancy does one good.

Incidentally I have been told to have a few swigs of Henry Weston cider, very strong but a tad sweeter than Strongbow...I plan to indulge at the next watering hole that sells it.

talkSAFT
23-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Lots of judgemental bollox going on here all for the personal taste of a glass of wine or a glass of beer, surely a little of what you fancy does one good.

Incidentally I have been told to have a few swigs of Henry Weston cider, very strong but a tad sweeter than Strongbow...I plan to indulge at the next watering hole that sells it.

judgemental bollox!

goodlordmurphy
23-06-2017, 01:17 PM
judgemental bollox!

If you say so sir...

holmleighchris
23-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Getting off the wine subject, I don't 'get' lager either. It tastes insipid to me and I can't understand how it's taken over from beer. Lager used to be a girls' drink until the 70s.

I don't 'get' lager either. It gets people piddled if that's what they want but it falls short on taste. Years since I had any. Went to a barbecue round a mate's and there was no beer there so I drank several Stellas. I knew about it the next day.

Acido
23-06-2017, 08:19 PM
I don't 'get' lager either. It gets people piddled if that's what they want but it falls short on taste. Years since I had any. Went to a barbecue round a mate's and there was no beer there so I drank several Stellas. I knew about it the next day.

And I in turn dont get the appeal of mucky bitter, or ale especially when your apparently not even allowed to drink it cold.
Im happy to say though that its each to their own.
I tried the drop of lime in lager when I was 18 and first got into the stuff, but I didnt take to it. Its hard to believe that lager was barely around and not even heard of until the early-mid 70s, and look at how popular it is now. :O

kettering_baggie
24-06-2017, 12:02 AM
My favourite whine is about people that want Brexit!

Oh, sorry, the thread is about 'wine', lol! I drink both red and white but Bathams bitter is far nicer, none of that poncy lager rubbish, may as well drink coca-cola as that stuff!

holmleighchris
24-06-2017, 05:51 AM
And I in turn dont get the appeal of mucky bitter, or ale especially when your apparently not even allowed to drink it cold.
Im happy to say though that its each to their own.
I tried the drop of lime in lager when I was 18 and first got into the stuff, but I didnt take to it. Its hard to believe that lager was barely around and not even heard of until the early-mid 70s, and look at how popular it is now. :O

I don't drink any beer without it being chilled. Most pubs give you the choice if you are buying bottled beer, and most keep their real ale pretty cold from what I've experienced (thankfully). My dad used to drink half and half then in the mid 70s turned to lager and lime all of a sudden. I wish I'd asked him why.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
24-06-2017, 10:15 AM
I like my glass of red at mealtime, a few whiskies later in the evening, but when I go out it's real ale, my favourite being Boondoggle and HPA

phild
24-06-2017, 11:11 AM
I like my glass of red at mealtime, a few whiskies later in the evening, but when I go out it's real ale, my favourite being Boondoggle and HPA

You only need a tipple for breakfast and you will have a full house :)

Baggies_Boy_Tony
24-06-2017, 11:52 AM
You only need a tipple for breakfast and you will have a full house :)

I was trying to keep that secret ;D

GrimBlunder
24-06-2017, 01:44 PM
I like craft beers at the moment, my favourite current one is Beavertown's Bl00dy 'Ell which is a Blood Orange IPA at 7.1% but is very refreshing.
As for wine Rioja's are my favourite.

Q165
24-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Don't mind wine now and then but never a great fan. Beer for me.

I have my favourites but am willing to have a crack at any bitter. I would not totally slag lager off. In certain parts of the world the very cold lager style beers can be mightly refreshing.

When I was a youthful drinker many would drink 'blends'. Notably light and bitter, cider and Guiness, lager and bitter and particularly the very popular brown and mild which turned a lot of my mates into very fat ba5tards very quickly. I doubt whether drinking like this is popular today

Acido
24-06-2017, 08:22 PM
I don't drink any beer without it being chilled. Most pubs give you the choice if you are buying bottled beer, and most keep their real ale pretty cold from what I've experienced (thankfully). My dad used to drink half and half then in the mid 70s turned to lager and lime all of a sudden. I wish I'd asked him why.

My dad used to sup a pint of mixed, which I think was both mild & bitter. He was never a lager man either. :P
Anyway Chris, all the best for today kid, hes a pint of Double Diamond for you. Enjoy it!! :eek:

holmleighchris
25-06-2017, 08:40 AM
My dad used to sup a pint of mixed, which I think was both mild & bitter. He was never a lager man either. :P
Anyway Chris, all the best for today kid, hes a pint of Double Diamond for you. Enjoy it!! :eek:

Does Double Diamond still exist?

talkSAFT
25-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Double Diamond was awful.

For some reason we used to call a pint of bitter-and-lager a "Mickey Mouse". Haven't heard that name for years.

Acido
25-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Does Double Diamond still exist?

Im not sure if it does or not, and from what Ive heard, we're not missing it one little bit are we ?
Now, wheres that Party Sevens can, Im going to burst that open tomorrow. :P

phild
25-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Watneys red barrel was the most despised beer in Britain at the time. I dont think Davenports beer at home was much better either.

goodlordmurphy
25-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Watneys red barrel was the most despised beer in Britain at the time. I dont think Davenports beer at home was much better either.

And all the red pubs...yeuk

Roymit
26-06-2017, 05:55 AM
And all the red pubs...yeuk

"Beer at home means Davenports,
That's the beer, lots of cheer,
The finest malt with hops and yeast
Turns a snack into a feast.
Straight from brewery to your home,
Why collect? We'll deliver.
Soon you'll know why folks all say,
'Beer at home means Davenports'
Cheers!"

Maybe I'm wrong and it's all so long ago but I thought Davenports was considered quite a reasonable pint?

holmleighchris
26-06-2017, 05:58 AM

You say that Phil but both Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond were big, probably the biggest sellers back then. There adverts were always on TV. Were they only drink at home beers? That's the only time I recall drinking either, at parties. They were about at the start of my adulthood but don't recall them in pubs. Maybe they were in the pubs but not around here. The choice here tended to be between Whitbreads and Courage with the odd M&B lurking here and there.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
26-06-2017, 06:01 AM
You say that Phil but both Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond were big, probably the biggest sellers back then. There adverts were always on TV. Were they only drink at home beers? That's the only time I recall drinking either, at parties. They were about at the start of my adulthood but don't recall them in pubs. Maybe they were in the pubs but not around here. The choice here tended to be between Whitbreads and Courage with the odd M&B lurking here and there.

Don't forget "Davenports means beer at home" actually delivered to your door, it was horrible though. >:(.

talkSAFT
26-06-2017, 07:41 AM
"Beer at home means Davenports,
That's the beer, lots of cheer,
The finest malt with hops and yeast
Turns a snack into a feast.
Straight from brewery to your home,
Why collect? We'll deliver.
Soon you'll know why folks all say,
'Beer at home means Davenports'
Cheers!"

Maybe I'm wrong and it's all so long ago but I thought Davenports was considered quite a reasonable pint?

:star:

Great memory, Roymit.
Davenport's was ok, but I'd avoid a Davenport's pub, moving on to an M&B. I remember the old brewery in Holloway Head just up from The Greyhound.

9goals2hattricks3pen
26-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Last year we invited some friends over and started the evening with a wine tasting 'quiz'

We had 3 reds and 3 whites ranging from £4 to £12 a bottle. For each bottle we had 3 different descriptions from the labels, which grape, hints of which fruit etc and how much. The success rate of guessing which wine belonged to which description was pathetic. Not quite nil but less than the 1 in 3 that pure chance would give you.

Now on a evening like this give me pint of Dark Star APA mmmmm