PDA

View Full Version : Optimism barometer

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Ok guys and gals, now we're signing players, clearing out others, smartening up the training facilities etc etc where do you put our chances i.e. Where are you on the "optimism" scale.

0%. We're doomed for a poor season and bound for non league football

To

100%. We will have a great season and get promoted again.

I will put my optimism at 74% to get the ball rolling.

Your thoughts?

Yak
22-06-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm at about the same tbh a couple more decent signings.

It's not just an opinion on this year more about the next few seasons with the kind of signings we're going for.

UTM

PokerMillersSwinton
22-06-2017, 02:21 PM
if you would asked me the same question when Warne was announced as Manager i would have said 35% .Now with the new captures, things looking smarter down at Roundwood iam nearer 80% . Right back possibly another Centre Defence and we are good to go.

sawmiller
22-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Quietly confident of giving a decent account of ourselves. Keep the steady momentum going. 70%

mellowmiller
22-06-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm around the 70% mark too. My optimism will go up a few notches if Warne manages to land a few more of his targets.

crookadile
22-06-2017, 02:44 PM
50% mid table at best.

sCORaFU
22-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Little old fence sitter me. 50%.

pip_y
22-06-2017, 03:03 PM
80% things are looking up

leedsmiller
22-06-2017, 03:07 PM
My problem is I had a degree of optimism last season when Stubbs was appointed; when TS was talking about a new state of the art training facility; when we were hearing the 'quality not quantity' and 'lessons have been learnt' mantras (yet again); when we were making credible signings (apparently); when we were looking to consolidate and push on in the Championship; when we had money to invest... etc etc

Now all those promises and expectations have fallen by the wayside or been ridiculed we're looking at establishing a new set of parameters, a new, lower level of optimism, albeit a level suited to the league we're in. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far, which has been better than I anticipated, and I do feel Warne is rapidly growing into the job (but he needs to cut out the jokes and present a more professional persona).

So, my barometer has risen over the last month from a very pessimistic 30% to a much more encouraged 60%, with room for added improvement. But what I don't want is for hopes to be dashed again and for us to be establishing even lower levels of expectation next year. So, at this stage I'm hopeful - but cautiously so.

PeteWaller
22-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Non League Michael Ihiekwe - Massive jump for him to make
Old Bloke Darren Potter, the mid field engine
Ryan Williams, like Smallwood, knows how to pass a ball sideways
David Ball, scored 14 goals in 55 appearances and released by our competition.

I am 35% and hoping to improve on that if we are ever gonna sign a player of any substance.

Until then, this once massive happy clapper is just listening and watching and hoping for more. Everything so far points to a mid table place at the very best for me. Hope I'm proven wrong and let's hope to get off to a good start - top of the table after month 1. If we fail like last year I fear confidence will melt.

lbj
22-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Looking for a goalscorer who "excelled at amateur level" doesn't inspire optimism but with the "facilities" being refurbished as they are - at least some policy is becoming clear - and it's hamming together.

The "Organic growth" philosophy is beginning to show itself - but boy are cutting back the Shrubbery!

The talk of Premiership was marketing hype - but only hype - a good marking plan has a financial side to it and last year particularly.....the hype was far greater than the financial package put to one side to support sales and marketing forecasting.

This year is different - we're going low !

Money gone in for infrastructure - albeit modest - but modest is good - modest works for me.....

This is like a start up business....aiming for organic growth and ploughing money back into the club ( CUP RUN PLEASE ).

You can cut the shrubs back too far though and ruin the plant....that "wisdom" comes from experience....TS has learnt his lessons....no more chemical fertilizer on his crops.....a couple of years of well rotted manure and we'll be back on Gardeners World again.....it's the two head Gardeners that worry me a bit....nurturing cuttings up to full hardy plants is a skill our head gardeners haven't had experience of.....and that's THE MOST IMPORTANT THING....GROWING OUR OWN !

High risk but relatively low cost !

Manure it is then - for a couple of years....lol

caytonmiller
22-06-2017, 03:31 PM
we lost adeyemi and replaced with potter. we get ball to replace ward. we loose smallwood and get williams tbh not much has changed since last season... at least 4 more signings before the season starts imo

BigLadonOS
22-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys n gals but for me we have so far signed players that have not inspired me. I see us as nothing more than a mid table team right now. I rate our chances of staying up at 100% but as far as going back up or even a playoff place I can see us struggling and rate us at about 35% unless we start signing better players.

However! If we get 3 or 4 quality young players in we could go back up either automatically or via the playoff's.

Yak
22-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Why does it have to be promotion to be positive ?

Maybe we need a couple of years building a side.

If we're competitive and going in the right direction then that's positive.

millmoormagic
22-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Agree, but we're used to the glass half empty brigade on here by now arent we?

BigLadonOS
22-06-2017, 04:09 PM

It does not have to be promotion but it does have to be a team that can push towards the top of the table or we are just going to fall in to the trap of mid table where getting good players in for the next push is going to be harder and another mid table finish is just about all we can hope for and so on and so on.

The players we have brought in right now (IMHO) are nowhere near good enough to make us a team that can push for a top 10 place.

However! If we can get a player like Jamie Proctor and others with good pedigree at the club then we just might be able to push on from there.

BUT mark my words, if we do only end up as a mid table team this season then you can look forward to another 5 to 10 years of the same.

PokerMillersSwinton
22-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Non League Michael Ihiekwe - Massive jump for him to make
Old Bloke Darren Potter, the mid field engine
Ryan Williams, like Smallwood, knows how to pass a ball sideways
David Ball, scored 14 goals in 55 appearances and released by our competition.

I am 35% and hoping to improve on that if we are ever gonna sign a player of any substance.

Until then, this once massive happy clapper is just listening and watching and hoping for more. Everything so far points to a mid table place at the very best for me. Hope I'm proven wrong and let's hope to get off to a good start - top of the table after month 1. If we fail like last year I fear confidence will melt.

Ball wasn't released he was offered new terms .

Silly-miller
22-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I'd say 65% at the moment, if we sign another young striker 80%, 2 more young strikers 95% give blackstock his marching orders 100%

lbj
22-06-2017, 04:31 PM
PS 50% at best.....a new ball game aimed predominantly at safety. Although the two managers haven't got a great pedigree between them....

Like I say manure for 2 years....let the roots develop and see where it takes us. PW's job is as safe as houses....TS is developing his own manager first and foremost....the team is secondary to the development of a the management team......then we'll see....nothing really exciting until they're a good team first -
ready to manage at a higher lever....let's hope PW has other courses booked.....

As a club we should be beyond this but TS has decided to take control and star the ship again.....EVO pushed us too far too soon....and the club didn't keep up !

Back to square one - with a home grown manager - "BOOT ROOM" ANYONE ?

hotun
22-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Maybe Blackstock will make everybody eat the sh ite they have wrote about him 70%

loyalmiller
22-06-2017, 06:12 PM
It has happened before, hoten.

Ray Mountford was classed as a joke and there was an almighty groan when his named was announced because of an injury to Jim Brown, yet he went on to be one of the best keepers we've ever had.

The same season the infancied Rodney Fern came in for the injured Richard Finney and is now part of Millers folk law.

More recently we had Greg Halford stealing a wage. Warnock brought him into the team and he became everyone's first name on the team sheet.

So it could happen!

gm_gm
22-06-2017, 06:20 PM
58.5 at the moment, if we get blackmailer out and at least a couple more of which one is a striker I'd push th boat out and go72.

Anything above 70 is playoffs

mellowmiller
22-06-2017, 06:23 PM
It has happened before, hoten.

Ray Mountford was classed as a joke and there was an almighty groan when his named was announced because of an injury to Jim Brown, yet he went on to be one of the best keepers we've ever had.

The same season the infancied Rodney Fern came in for the injured Richard Finney and is now part of Millers folk law.

More recently we had Greg Halford stealing a wage. Warnock brought him into the team and he became everyone's first name on the team sheet.

So it could happen!

I'll happily eat humble pie if Blackstock turns out to be a revelation in League 1.
However, his demeanour since he arrived at the club suggests this is unlikely and I get the impression that he doesn't figure in Warne's plans.
We'll see.

hotun
22-06-2017, 06:30 PM
He has the pedigree in his past played at a higher level than anyone else at the club,depends how Warney sees it and if he gives him a chance.

Silly-miller
22-06-2017, 06:31 PM
I'll happily eat humble pie if Blackstock turns out to be a revelation in League 1.
However, his demeanour since he arrived at the club suggests this is unlikely and I get the impression that he doesn't figure in Warne's plans.
We'll see.

you have to want to play first and I'm not sure blackstock wants too

loyalmiller
22-06-2017, 06:35 PM
That's a great point SM. wonder what the other players think about his attitude.

I know in my place of work anyone who doesn't pull their weight are more than told about it by the rest of the workforce.

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Maybe Blackstock will make everybody eat the sh ite they have wrote about him 70%

Maybe but don't forget Blackstock is unavailable until the end of September.

Got to finish his day job giving rides on Blackpool beach

hotun
22-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Insults hidden behind a keyboard very brave.

Lolmorgan
22-06-2017, 08:59 PM
100% I stopped listening to anything that comes out of the club anymore, I just go & make my own mind up.i will judge again after our first 5 games.

mellowmiller
23-06-2017, 08:47 AM
He has the pedigree in his past played at a higher level than anyone else at the club,depends how Warney sees it and if he gives him a chance.

I don't think Warney will give Blackstock a chance because his application has been so poor since he's been at the club and our new manager definitely doesn't like slackers.
I've watched Blackstock in the pre match warm ups (on the rare occasions when he's been in the matchday squad) and his attitude is appalling. He puts minimum effort into the drills and, worse, tries to distract some of the other players.
His attitude will need to change radically for him to get anywhere near the team.
Leopards don't change their spots and it's unlikely anyone else will take him off our hands so it looks like we'll be stuck with Danny Schofield Mk 2.

hotun
23-06-2017, 09:16 AM
I don't think Warney will give Blackstock a chance because his application has been so poor since he's been at the club and our new manager definitely doesn't like slackers.
I've watched Blackstock in the pre match warm ups (on the rare occasions when he's been in the matchday squad) and his attitude is appalling. He puts minimum effort into the drills and, worse, tries to distract some of the other players.
His attitude will need to change radically for him to get anywhere near the team.
Leopards don't change their spots and it's unlikely anyone else will take him off our hands so it looks like we'll be stuck with Danny Schofield Mk 2.
I fear you may be right mm but hope Warne and Barker can solve this massive problem.

Silly-miller
23-06-2017, 09:24 AM

My dog has a pedigree hotrun it don't mean I should stick her up front 😂 (although she'd be enthusiastic on the ball)

It's not like we haven't given him a chance hotrun we have but blackstock prefers going to Nottingham forest games and being a agent than playing at Rotherham. All this is not speculation he's been caught on camera in back stands at forest when Rotherham was playing that same day.

The sad truth is when he is fit and wants to actually play he's a really good striker, but he has not played a full game in years every time he played for forest in last 3 years that I know of he came on as a sub for 20 mins.

I will give every player a chance, there are players who need time to grow, some who haven't played for us yet and some who showed some improvement over the last few games. All of these deserve a chance to show the fans what they can do. Blackstock doesn't not with his attitude and believe me I have heard him talk to his friend (who has more gold wrapped around himthan king Minos) he sees us as one last pay check that's all.

If he changes his attitude and decides to play his ars off for one last bang in football he will prove us wrong but I think us buying ranaldo is more likely.

millertop
23-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Lol. You make it sound like the comments weren't justified, have you seen play?

ATM he's definitely not a Warney type of player but like I've said before I'm giving him the benefit of doubt due to his on going injury and I really hope he can deliver, if not then Warney will 100% not waste his time with him that's for sure

mikemiller
23-06-2017, 11:16 AM
I will give every player a chance, there are players who need time to grow, some who haven't played for us yet and some who showed some improvement over the last few games. All of these deserve a chance to show the fans what they can do. Blackstock doesn't not with his attitude and believe me I have heard him talk to his friend (who has more gold wrapped around himthan king Minos) he sees us as one last pay check that's all.

this is King Minos... does he look like the bloke that Dexter was sitting next to?
...Let me guess - "American spelling" malfunction, once again?
LOL!

Yak
23-06-2017, 11:34 AM
My dog has a pedigree hotrun it don't mean I should stick her up front 😂 (although she'd be enthusiastic on the ball)

It's not like we haven't given him a chance hotrun we have but blackstock prefers going to Nottingham forest games and being a agent than playing at Rotherham. All this is not speculation he's been caught on camera in back stands at forest when Rotherham was playing that same day.

The sad truth is when he is fit and wants to actually play he's a really good striker, but he has not played a full game in years every time he played for forest in last 3 years that I know of he came on as a sub for 20 mins.

If he changes his attitude and decides to play his ars off for one last bang in football he will prove us wrong but I think us buying ranaldo is more likely.

His name is hotun

hotun
23-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Lol. You make it sound like the comments weren't justified, have you seen play?

ATM he's definitely not a Warney type of player but like I've said before I'm giving him the benefit of doubt due to his on going injury and I really hope he can deliver, if not then Warney will 100% not waste his time with him that's for sure
Some were justified based on his poor attitude,made my comment hoping that he might grab a chance of proving people wrong,it can happen.

hotun
23-06-2017, 11:54 AM

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes at the club,all I know it's an embarrassing situation to be in,but surely better to try and get something out of him than do nothing.Perhaps he should tell us his side so we can judge without prejudice,but that probably won't happen.

Silly-miller
23-06-2017, 12:30 PM

this is King Minos... does he look like the bloke that Dexter was sitting next to?
...Let me guess - "American spelling" malfunction, once again?
LOL!

No auto correction on my mobile

And yes I got wrong king that was my actual cock up and no that's not even king Minos of create ether. So please carry on correcting my crap with more crap it's funny 😂

For all those who care king Minos was a cruel king who sent 9 children a year into a labyrinth to be eaten by a creature called the Minotaur.

The king I was thinking of was king Midas a king who was granted any wish he wanted by a god and chose the power of gold.

mikemiller
23-06-2017, 02:15 PM
And yes I got wrong king that was my actual cock up and no that's not even king Minos of create ether.

He looks like the "creative" type though.... are you sure that somebody didn't slip some hallucinogenic drug into your half-time Bovril?

Casper64Frank
23-06-2017, 10:55 PM
66.6666667% for me.

Two thirds of the way there.
Need a right back to challenge Fisher for his starting place.
Spend most of the cash from the Danny Ward deal on a decent striker, either signed up on a 2yr contract or use it to pay wages for a half-season long loan.

a123
24-06-2017, 11:19 AM
30% for me we have not done anything to strengthen the squad yet its merely a case of 1 out 1 in.

As a starting 11 we might be able to put a reasonably competitive team out, once a few injuries and suspensions bite there isn't the back up players in the squad to compete.

Also whilst I accept league 1 isn't anywhere near the standard of the Championship I don't fully go along with the theory that some of the players who were so abject last season will suddenly become superstars this season.

caytonmiller
24-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I would consider our main attacking force

Jon Taylor played 102 times for Shrewsbury in league one scoring 21 goals. For Peterborough in league one, he played 54 times scoring 14 goals and he's only 24

Forde made 50 starts for Walsall scoring 7. He's 23.

Ball played 13 X for Peterborough scoring 7. Then 137 times for Fleetwood scoring 41. (Experienced 27)

Williams scored 8 in 38 starts for Oxford/Barnsley. (23 years old)

frecks at 53 goals in 300 games (old man)

Yates. Yeah I know he's light weight and runs a bit funny but people don't realise how good his stats look esp since they were accumulated in championship. 7 league starts (bench 15x) and 1 cup start. 6 goals only 20

JCH. 21 goals from 67 starts only 22...

Is this enough fire power to warrant anything above 70% confidence. Not for me we need another 15+ a season goal scorer

Ellis_D
25-06-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm definitely a glass half full person. But I'm also a realist. I am more confident than I was at the end of the season. And in fact, I have slowly become more confident as the days go by. I am still only at about 35% though.

With two or three more positive signings it could well go up to 50-60%.

gm_gm
26-06-2017, 08:44 AM
long shot but if we secured Adeyemi that would give us another 12 goals

Brin
27-06-2017, 04:38 AM
66.6666667% for me.

Two thirds of the way there.
Need a right back to challenge Fisher for his starting place.
Spend most of the cash from the Danny Ward deal on a decent striker, either signed up on a 2yr contract or use it to pay wages for a half-season long loan.

Fisher for me is the weak link in the back four and only gave a glimpse of his capability in the one game I recall such is his poor ability. When he was subbed it raised a cheer (not called for but the fans pay to be entertained)

Definitely send him out on loan to improve or leave.

Optimism at the mo? More than 50% with the fresh faces brought in and hope it all gels well for Warne.

Monkey46
28-06-2017, 06:47 AM
My problem is I had a degree of optimism last season when Stubbs was appointed; when TS was talking about a new state of the art training facility; when we were hearing the 'quality not quantity' and 'lessons have been learnt' mantras (yet again); when we were making credible signings (apparently); when we were looking to consolidate and push on in the Championship; when we had money to invest... etc etc

Now all those promises and expectations have fallen by the wayside or been ridiculed we're looking at establishing a new set of parameters, a new, lower level of optimism, albeit a level suited to the league we're in. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far, which has been better than I anticipated, and I do feel Warne is rapidly growing into the job (but he needs to cut out the jokes and present a more professional persona).

So, my barometer has risen over the last month from a very pessimistic 30% to a much more encouraged 60%, with room for added improvement. But what I don't want is for hopes to be dashed again and for us to be establishing even lower levels of expectation next year. So, at this stage I'm hopeful - but cautiously so.

Agree wi that leeds.

Yak
13-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Gone up a bit more with signing today

Looking better

rolymiller
13-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Yep think we will owd our own this year. Still think we need that couple of star signings to get us up. An out and out goal getter and a solid centre half. We will need luck with injuries to key players as well summat we didnt have last year. Think we have a top 10 squad now...

frogmiller
13-07-2017, 05:35 PM
75% for me.

I think that we'll creep into the play-offs but fail.

The January transfer window is gointo be interesting.

Silly-miller
13-07-2017, 08:23 PM
95% for me

mygiddypant
13-07-2017, 09:21 PM
95% for me

That seems very optimistic to me. Can't see that the recent recruits are of sufficient quality to make us strong contenders for even the play-offs. But hope I'm proved wrong.

I think TS is waiting to see how things go before the January window. If things look good then I can see him backing Warney with further investment.

Silly-miller
13-07-2017, 09:43 PM
I think TS is waiting to see how things go before the January window. If things look good then I can see him backing Warney with further investment.

I agree I think warne is on a trial run but I'm still optimistic maybe it's the booze or maybe it's blackstock leaving or maybe it's because we have a strong midfield and some striking options.

The only thing that could let us down is our defence but with the effort they showed at end of season I'm not too worried anymore.

For me I'd say top 6 in January seems likely

pip_y
13-07-2017, 11:52 PM
75% because I think there are several goalscorers in the team who can get at least 10 so the opposition won't know who to mark. 6 getting 10+ and the a few others chipping in with 4 or 5 will do very nicely. Save the money until the January window and if we are challenging then spend.

MILLERSTALE
14-07-2017, 07:32 AM
About 70%, we still need to sign a permanent goal scorer another centre back and a midfield general ( Tiggy) is available from Leeds, to be a top three side ?

Silly-miller
14-07-2017, 07:54 AM
About 70%, we still need to sign a permanent goal scorer another centre back and a midfield general ( Tiggy) is available from Leeds, to be a top three side ?
From what my old man said derby county are looking to off load rawson to free up their budget and godden only has a year left at Stevenage January targets maybe?