PDA

View Full Version : O/T - "Retch Over Troubled Warblers"

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Once or twice in an Album, Stevie Wonder (for instance) would make you feel that he was crying over a line in his songs. He would sound as if he really meant the words.......and it was quite moving.

But today's singers try to copy that in nearly every line, pretending to feel soulful. It's pathetic! And then they move their hands about as if they're feeling emotion, when all they are doing is posturing.

The latest Geldof-style get-together (which no Manager could let their acts miss out on) is the hour long
"Bri-i-i-idge O-o-o-ver Trou-trou-trou-troubled Wa-a-a-a-a-ter"
(which Simon & Garfunkel managed to sing in about 3 minutes).

I feel sorry for the youth of today if they really believe that the get-together is primarily aimed at raising money for the tragic casualties at Grenfell. (It's not - it's a career move by the wailers, same as Geldof in his day). I also feel sorry if they believe that s-i-i-i-i-i-nging like they're in a Gospel is being soulful and original.

I know I'm a miserable old git, but I can't understand why they don't actually sing the words, instead of shouting them, and keep roughly to the tune. It would be far more musical, even original, and I might feel like buying the record.

(I feel better now.)
Mr.Angry

WBA53
22-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Your singing from the same hymn sheet as me TS,every time one of these charity SOS songs come out they just ruin them,last one that comes to mind is he ain't heavy he's my brother and anyway why don't these talentless super rich pop stars just dig deep in their pockets and donate some of their extortionate cash they are in possession of? Instead of subjecting us to their tiresome constant awful warbling and wailing

holmleighchris
22-06-2017, 03:00 PM
I heard it yesterday, it's an absolute shocker isn't it? Also, like you say it's there to promote their careers as much as raise money. They should merely dig deep and hand over a few hundred thousand each as Andy Murray is. Not my favourite sportsman but he is donating any money he wins at Queens to the cause.

WBA53
22-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Simon Cowell upon hearing the finished cut exclaimed it gave him the chills and I can see why

phild
22-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Without You, a superb classic by Nilsson was utterly ruined by Mariah Carey, the greatest travesty in pop music ever!

Baggies_Boy_Tony
22-06-2017, 03:30 PM
I heard it yesterday, it's an absolute shocker isn't it? Also, like you say it's there to promote their careers as much as raise money. They should merely dig deep and hand over a few hundred thousand each as Andy Murray is. Not my favourite sportsman but he is donating any money he wins at Queens to the cause.

Do you reckon that's why he went out in the 1st round. ;D

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Without You, a superb classic by Nilsson was utterly ruined by Mariah Carey, the greatest travesty in pop music ever!

:star:

Acido
22-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Ok it might sound naive but I thought Bob Geldof was genuine when he came up with the idea of a 'Live aid' concert.
However it should have been a one off and the 'Live aid Two' thing was just a shameful rip off. And as for Bono allegedly arguing that he should sing the same line again, well that doesn't surprise me.
I do agree though that modern re-makes of songs sound appalling when singers try to add their own style of 'emotion'. It just comes across as extremely fake!

WBA53
22-06-2017, 03:44 PM
In today's internet driven world why can't some trusted institute set up a crowd funding appeal and spare our ears all this false luvvy driven drivel

Acido
22-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Live aid wasnt the first pop concert for charity was it '53, I think George Harisson and friends did one in the early 70s for example.
Were they ever accused of fakeness and 'just doing it to further their own careers' etc like the modern day singers get accused of ?

WBA53
22-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Acido there is a difference with what money can help with as in Bangladesh/ Ethiopia all noble and worthwhile causes but I think as regards disasters in our country money is the last thing that can help the unfortunate victims of the London fire,unfortunatley the dead don't need it and the govt have stepped in in the interim with money and new housing, what the survivors need most is counselling,insurances will pay for it in the long run

Acido
22-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Hey Im no lover of modern day music '53 and Im certainly not sticking up for them.
I just wondered if the things they are being accused of in this thread (doing this sort of charity thing to further their own careers), was that sort of thing said about the stars who did it 45 years ago.

holmleighchris
22-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Do you reckon that's why he went out in the 1st round. ;D

Ha! did he? I don't follow the sport, not since Eva Goolagong quit.
Still, it sounded like a good gesture when I read about it.

WBA53
22-06-2017, 04:50 PM
I think that George Harrison and geldoph were genuinely moved by human suffering by famine to mobilise collection of money for food aid,today's lot I'm more cynical of I'm afraid

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Your singing from the same hymn sheet as me TS,every time one of these charity SOS songs come out they just ruin them,last one that comes to mind is he ain't heavy he's my brother and anyway why don't these talentless super rich pop stars just dig deep in their pockets and donate some of their extortionate cash they are in possession of? Instead of subjecting us to their tiresome constant awful warbling and wailing
:star:

WBA1955
22-06-2017, 05:59 PM
I'Don't'think'George'Harrison'would'have'needed'th e'money'or'the'promotion

talkSAFT
22-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Not so sure about Geldof. His 'career' was washed up, and the rest of the Rats said on a documentary that he wasn't at all sympathetic to the 3rd World plight, but he saw the opportunity and the rest was history. Fair play, the millions raised would probably never have happened without him, but he soon became a giant star, and he's not had to work since.

WBA1955
22-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Boy'George'has'an'orgasm'efvery'time'there'is'a'di saster

Acido
22-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Like I said it sounds naive, but I also did believe at the time that Geldof was genuine about the whole thing. (none of us know what they are really saying though away from the cameras)
And like you say Saft it wouldnt have heppened without him and I think the majority of the acts said they wouldnt have taken part had it not been for him etc. so credit to Bob.
There was a documentary about the Band aid single and I think it suggested the studio was full of tension all day long and certain 'stars' refused to stand and sing next to certain other stars. Isnt that pathetic that they all thought of their egos ahead of the reason why they were supposed to be there.

albion68
22-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Yes really terrible version of troubled waters.totally agree about without you .i know its June Phil but have a listen to toya Wilcox annilate I believe in Father Christmas best Christmas song ever

Albionic68
22-06-2017, 10:58 PM
From a humanitarian perspective I couldn't care less if 'celebrities' get a bit of extra coverage for their 'charidee' work so long as those in need gain some benefit.

If people don't wish to donate to charity or buy charity records, they should keep their money in their pockets.

It doesn't make a jot of difference how many do give so long as enough are able to affect the lives of those less fortunate than themselves.

Now, time for some real music....... satsumatastic ;D .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAIWTLal9e4