PDA

View Full Version : O/T Rugby League is the real working class sport now

great_fire
24-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Working class sport with working class (mainly local) players and working class fans.

Compare with football, only middle-class people can afford it, foreign-owned teams with foreign managers and foreign players, loads of corporate sponsors.

First got into it at University in Hull (and good to see Hull FC doing so well) only wish we had a Super League team in South Yorkshire.

Yak
24-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Cracking sport honest professionals tough uncompromising fast entertaining.

Grew up watching Bradford Bulls was worth the money to watch the volcano.

Another example of a club who weren't developing their academy and it caught up with them.

sota
24-06-2017, 07:04 AM
Yak, are you ex Roamin' Miller ?

Yak
24-06-2017, 07:07 AM
No pal never heard of him who is that?

sota
24-06-2017, 07:13 AM
An ex Marine who used to post on here. Sorry, I thought might be you.

Yak
24-06-2017, 07:24 AM
No apology needed.
Never heard of him tbh.

I know a couple of retired ex forces who are millers but not that name.

animallittle3
24-06-2017, 07:25 AM
I enjoy both codes myself , just watching the build up to the Lions first test against the All Blacks as I type this .

I'm a Wakefield Trinity fan , I pop along maybe 3 or 4 times a season on a nice sunny summers sunday afternoon and it's always worth the money , win or lose .

I think possibly at one time your assesment was spot on , most league players had full time jobs , the majority of Trinity , Cas and Fev players worked down the pit alongside the fans .

Not so much today now all SL players are full time pros and you have to factor in the players who have played both codes .

Both league and unions players are from more or less the same stock these days in my opinion .

great_fire
24-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Listen to the commentators though and the players when they're interviewed, proper Northern accents! (except the Australians obviously).

Grist_To_The_Mill
24-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Rugby League

The code of rugby you play when you can't get 15 players to play real rugby

animallittle3
24-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Rugby League

The code of rugby you play when you can't get 15 players to play real rugby

Hmm and yet when they had the cross code challenges in the 90's , the league game was won emphatically by the 13 and the 15 man game was a much closer affair .

millmoormagic
24-06-2017, 09:48 AM
I like both codes, but if you told me i could choose to watch the best of either but not both, i'd pick Union to be honest.

Monkey46
25-06-2017, 09:40 AM
I enjoy both codes myself , just watching the build up to the Lions first test against the All Blacks as I type this .

I'm a Wakefield Trinity fan , I pop along maybe 3 or 4 times a season on a nice sunny summers sunday afternoon and it's always worth the money , win or lose .

I think possibly at one time your assesment was spot on , most league players had full time jobs , the majority of Trinity , Cas and Fev players worked down the pit alongside the fans .

Not so much today now all SL players are full time pros and you have to factor in the players who have played both codes .

Both league and unions players are from more or less the same stock these days in my opinion .

How much is it in at Belle View? often fancied going down for a game animal.

animallittle3
25-06-2017, 10:34 AM
How much is it in at Belle View? often fancied going down for a game animal.

Depends on the opposition mate , the Warrington game is £15 to stand but the next home game against Cas is £21 , Cas is the biggest game we have so it won't be ever anymore than that .

Good afternoon out , few beers on a nice afternoon watching really committed athletes perform .

Fans from both sides stand together and there's plenty of banter flying , although the Cas game can be problematic , no love lost there to say the least .

gwru
25-06-2017, 10:44 AM
I agree Rugby league is more working class. Only one problem I can't stand it or the other code. If you kicked the ball into an empty net at football who'd go & watch it. But for some reason people pay to watch grown men knock f*ck out of each other & kick ball out of play & into an empty net.

CAMiller
25-06-2017, 03:07 PM
I agree Rugby league is more working class. Only one problem I can't stand it or the other code. If you kicked the ball into an empty net at football who'd go & watch it. But for some reason people pay to watch grown men knock f*ck out of each other & kick ball out of play & into an empty net.

As opposed to grown men watching other grown men (being paid in excess of 100,000 per WEEK) fall over for no apparent reason, taking the ball into a corner and wasting time at every opportune moment?

Watched the Challenge Cup game on TV last Saturday when I was in England (can't remember the teams) and really enjoyed it.

lbj
25-06-2017, 03:30 PM
My son has been brought up with football skills and the games complexity - if you go that far to enjoy the more complex side of the game....and he once defined "rugby" as well as I've ever heard it defined - he said that - rugby:

"Was a brawl with a ball"

And I can't fault his logic.

The skills required can be defined too.

Throw a funny shaped ball to the best rugby player on the planet and he'll spin it around his finger then throw it !

Now throw the ball at the best football player ( your choice ) and you'll SKILL that only so many people can do.

Everybody can play "catch" and run into brick walls !

If that's entertainment then it's NOT for me...6 tackles and picking players up at line outs are skills are old 'British Bulldog' kids games.... . FOR BIG KIDS who dress up worryingly too often as "TARTS" at fancy dress time....but you tell them that .......I certainly will not....lol

"A brawl with a ball" about sums up rugby for me.....simply can't watch it....!

Yak
25-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Ibj you really are a thick ****.

Acido
25-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Working class sport with working class (mainly local) players and working class fans.
Compare with football, only middle-class people can afford it, foreign-owned teams with foreign managers and foreign players, loads of corporate sponsors.
First got into it at University in Hull (and good to see Hull FC doing so well) only wish we had a Super League team in South Yorkshire.

Yes its ace to see Hull FC doing so well, they whacked Cas in the cup Qtr final last Sunday and they whacked Wakey again on Friday night. :D
Sheffield & Feth used to have decent teams and they won the cup as well at least once each, but as things stand at the moment I cant see them getting back into the Super league anytime soon. Although Feth do make it into the end of season Middle 8's, they cant finish in the top 4 when it matters.