PDA

View Full Version : Could Pulis Walk?

WBA123
26-06-2017, 11:48 AM
If we don't have a strong summer in the Transfer market, could he do to us what he did at Palace and walk at the start of the season?

If he did, I would seriously fear for us next year

phild
26-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Mate, I flippin fear for us every season, nothing changes and nothing suggests that this season will be any different from all the seasons Pulis as been in charge. Pulis was appointed initially to keep us in the Prem and every season will just be a continuation of the same mentality, to keep us in the prem.

vikingwarriorking
26-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Mate, I flippin fear for us every season, nothing changes and nothing suggests that this season will be any different from all the seasons Pulis as been in charge. Pulis was appointed initially to keep us in the Prem and every season will just be a continuation of the same mentality, to keep us in the prem.

One day & soon even TP won't be able to keep us up- old & threadbare squad- clearly no ambition other than survival- it will end badly and it will end worse if TP walks .
I hate his football but with the resources you have to respect what he has done.
And he has a reputation to uphold - never relegated- is a strong claim to any chairman.... so leave now, reputation high Albion 10th!!!!- wait for when January come around & get a bumper pay day.
And who could blame him- unloved by fans, starved by Board- it has the makings of a bad season and it has not even started!!!
Tell me- & show me I'm wrong- please

exilecanada
26-06-2017, 02:48 PM

As a devoted Burnley fan, I don’t see what you West Brom fans are complaining about, your club appears to be run as a business and should be commended for doing so. Your ownership group are doing a good job at maintaining PL status, realistically that’s all you can hope for, there’s no way clubs such as yours can compete with the upper echelon without placing the club in financial jeopardy. Pulis is one of the better British managers and he’s doing what he’s paid to do, which is maintaining the status quo. I don’t need to remind you guys about the former PL clubs who overextended and ended up in ruin. Burnley are run in a similar businesslike fashion, although a couple of steps behind you and let’s say, Stoke. I’d bet my last $ that Burnley would love to be in your shoes.

Enjoy the ride.

WBA123
26-06-2017, 03:00 PM
I don't doubt you at all matey. There's loads of big clubs that would trade places with us right now, we only have to look down the road at our Championship neighbours to see that and sometimes you have to be thankful for what you have.

We'll never be able to challenge the top 7 in the prem either with their finances. I suppose most people on here are fearful that we could become the next Sheffield Utd or Nottingham Forrest and be stuck in the bottom reaches of the championship or worse. Especially as we have new owners and aren't 100% sure about their intentions. I've heard other fans say that that would rather be in the Championship and play good football. Pulis will keep us up, I'm pretty confident of that and if its like last season there will be some entertaining games. But some of our away games leave a bit to be desired, especially against teams in the bottom half of the table where we don't have many efforts on goal or much to shout about. It would also be nice to have a cup run every now and again, maybe I'm being a bit greedy.

Having said that, you have hit the nail on the head. We can't complain about where we are as a football club and if we finish 10th again next season it will be another amazingly good season. I'm always grateful we play premiership football. I went up in the 90s and couldn't see us ever making it to the prem, especially watching the likes of Grimsby, Stockport and Walsall beating us at the Hawthorns. I remember Crewe putting 5 past us in one home game.

P.S. Always had a soft spot for Burnley. Hope you stay up again next season. After us of course! ;D

baggieal
26-06-2017, 03:02 PM
As a devoted Burnley fan, I don’t see what you West Brom fans are complaining about, your club appears to be run as a business and should be commended for doing so. Your ownership group are doing a good job at maintaining PL status, realistically that’s all you can hope for, there’s no way clubs such as yours can compete with the upper echelon without placing the club in financial jeopardy. Pulis is one of the better British managers and he’s doing what he’s paid to do, which is maintaining the status quo. I don’t need to remind you guys about the former PL clubs who overextended and ended up in ruin. Burnley are run in a similar businesslike fashion, although a couple of steps behind you and let’s say, Stoke. I’d bet my last $ that Burnley would love to be in your shoes.

Enjoy the ride.

Good sensible post and that's what most supporters of other clubs say and also professional pundits. Trouble is, some of our supporters have grand illusions ( like West Ham fans did with Big Sam ) in that, finishing 10th or not playing ***y football is not enough. With very little investment from the previous owner/and looks like the same with the new owner, Pulis will strategically set up the squad he has to get a result - who would blame him!

You are also right - many clubs like West Brom in the lower half, would love Pulis just to stay in the premiership.

The old saying in life is so true - be careful what you wish for!

Good luck this season and will be in the upstairs bar at the cricket club for our first away game at yours!

Johnny on the spot 1
26-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Enjoy the ride.

Not one Albion fan on here Canada wouldn't disagree with what your saying about the big 7 in the division , we all know we can't compete. But to see a few goals & a bit of attacking football would be nice once in a while when we spend our hard earned money thank god Burnley are in the league its one of a few teams we do score against ,

exilecanada
26-06-2017, 03:43 PM
P.S. Always had a soft spot for Burnley. Hope you stay up again next season.

Thanks, a number of people have gained respect for my little club. We’ve come a long way since being one loss away from demotion from the Football League and obscurity in ’87. As usual though, we’re favoured for relegation next season, nothing much changes. Sean Dyche and the board have done a magnificent job, long may they reign, although from all accounts were in danger of losing Dyche to Palace.

exilecanada
26-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Not one Albion fan on here Canada wouldn't disagree with what your saying about the big 7 in the division , we all know we can't compete. But to see a few goals & a bit of attacking football would be nice once in a while when we spend our hard earned money thank god Burnley are in the league its one of a few teams we do score against.

Therein lay the root of the problem, strikers cost the most money which smaller clubs can’t, or won’t, shell out silly money for. Look at Defoe, he’s nearing the end of the line and apparently Bournemouth are offering him silly money.

As for you lot scoring against Burnley, both clubs play a similar style. If sure if both managers had their way, they’d leave the ball in the centre circle, never to be touched and settle for a 0 – 0 draw.

;D

WBA1955
26-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Enjoy the ride.

:star:

kettering_baggie
26-06-2017, 10:21 PM
So little news comes out of WBA and that prompts all sorts of rumours and fears. We need a couple of good signings to cheer us up; any news on the Jay Rodriguez 'transfer'?

holmleighchris
27-06-2017, 05:57 AM
To be reasonably established in the division is great and Pulis has been instrumental in this. It's great for the local support inasmuch it gives them bragging rights over the fans of other clubs in the area. This seems to be enough for many of them. The football on the pitch is dire though, almost unwatchable. Supporters are staying away, heading to non league football or not attending any football at all. It's quite a dilemma.

vikingwarriorking
27-06-2017, 07:30 AM
To be reasonably established in the division is great and Pulis has been instrumental in this. It's great for the local support inasmuch it gives them bragging rights over the fans of other clubs in the area. This seems to be enough for many of them. The football on the pitch is dire though, almost unwatchable. Supporters are staying away, heading to non league football or not attending any football at all. It's quite a dilemma.

Think we are missing the point
TP may choose to say "sod it"- a never relegated pedigree- worth millions to other chairman esp in Jan when teams in trouble.
Unloved by fans, starved by Board, his value is at its highest now- Albion 10th on threadbare resources.
He goes into season with this squad and a few 2nd rate additions; he will blot his copybook.
It's not whether we want him- it's now whether he wants us
And if he goes with this Board's outlook and owner's "investment" plans we will not survive.
I've bet on it @ generous odds

Albionic68
27-06-2017, 08:53 AM
It's surprisingly gloomy outside for the time of year.

Time to brighten the Day :) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxoVRTwlNg

phild
27-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Doubt we'll be singing that at the Albion any time soon mate ".......we're going to wemberly que sera sera" ;D

baggieal
27-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Think we are missing the point
TP may choose to say "sod it"- a never relegated pedigree- worth millions to other chairman esp in Jan when teams in trouble.
Unloved by fans, starved by Board, his value is at its highest now- Albion 10th on threadbare resources.
He goes into season with this squad and a few 2nd rate additions; he will blot his copybook.
It's not whether we want him- it's now whether he wants us
And if he goes with this Board's outlook and owner's "investment" plans we will not survive.
I've bet on it @ generous odds

Spot on there! A few crap additions at cheap prices, a bad start to the season, and why would Pulis need us, if a bigger club comes calling. Almost every club is bigger than West Brom in terms of ambition including Huddersfield.

So Pulis goes - another keep option - Grayson/Pearson and still working with a thread bare squad!

Still not renewed my tickets and at this rate, having doubts!

goodlordmurphy
27-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks, a number of people have gained respect for my little club. We’ve come a long way since being one loss away from demotion from the Football League and obscurity in ’87. As usual though, we’re favoured for relegation next season, nothing much changes. Sean Dyche and the board have done a magnificent job, long may they reign, although from all accounts were in danger of losing Dyche to Palace.

You do the Clarets an injustice buddy...I can remember when Burnley were referred to as 'The Academy of Football'...during the Bob Lord era. I have a lot of Burnley friends that would go berserk at the inference of them being a 'little club'....:)

Leicesterbaggie
28-06-2017, 08:44 AM
You do the Clarets an injustice buddy...I can remember when Burnley were referred to as 'The Academy of Football'...during the Bob Lord era. I have a lot of Burnley friends that would go berserk at the inference of them being a 'little club'....:)

Totally agree. In the early sixties they were one of the top sides in the country. I remember such names as McIlroy, Pointer, Miller, Adamson, Connelly, Blacklaw, etc. All of these would be worth a fortune today.

Whicka_Mon
28-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Spot on there! A few crap additions at cheap prices, a bad start to the season, and why would Pulis need us, if a bigger club comes calling. Almost every club is bigger than West Brom in terms of ambition including Huddersfield.

So Pulis goes - another keep option - Grayson/Pearson and still working with a thread bare squad!

Still not renewed my tickets and at this rate, having doubts!

i ain't renewed yet either and am having doubts also. I would not class Huddersfield of having more ambition. Surely their goal is to survive next season as is ours.
Reading through the thread and although their views are welcome. I tend to ignore what other teams supporters think of us. I also ignore what professional pundits think. They don't pay to watch us. Believe me it's completely different when you pay to watch the rubbish we serve up. In other words I'll decide when i should feel happy not when somebody tells me when i should

goodlordmurphy
28-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Totally agree. In the early sixties they were one of the top sides in the country. I remember such names as McIlroy, Pointer, Miller, Adamson, Connelly, Blacklaw, etc. All of these would be worth a fortune today.

When I went up with my Burnley buddy for the first time, what a cracking time it was, we lost 2-1 after going one up.

Sat amongst the Burnley fans shirt covered up of course, we go one up all the close buddies of my mate decided to beat me over the head with programs not too hard of course, then they equalised out come the programs again...then they went in front,,,you guessed it...out come the programs we had played really well...it was a championship game and the price rose to 8/1 for Baggies to win the league I had seen enough to warrant an investment which duly paid off.

Program wielders remained firm friends and I hardly bought a beer all night.

Bit strange to enjoy a match when the opposition wear Claret and Blue...know what I mean...:)

wbatillidie
28-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Though it's somewhat overcast outside and on here, let's not be too despondent yet, the window hasn't opened give it at least till end of July, and if nothing changes then let the wailing begin.

Relax everyone enjoy the summer, the wheels of Albion grind slowly but surely.:)

exilecanada
28-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Well well gentlemen, I AM impressed with your knowledge. I’m more than aware Burnley were a major power back in the day. I attended the majority of home games for many years, including the European Cup games. I attended Maine Rd (Manchester) when Burnley won the old First Division in 59/60 and Wembley when we lost 2 – 1 to Spurs a couple years later. We produced top level players like a well oiled assembly line mainly due to intense scouting in the North East and Northern Ireland and nurtured the recruits at our Gawthorpe training facility, the first of its kind if memory serves. Incidentally, Gawthrorpe was recently renovated to a modern training facility, hopefully to attract higher end prospects.

Bob Lord was a tyrant, he’d sell his mother if the price was right, however selling was the only way the club could survive and as the maximum wage was abolished, wages and transfer fees went up to the point of almost no return and the club went into a tailspin, hence the tumble down divisions and near extinction. The town went crazy when he sold Jimmy McIlroy to Stoke for 25,00 quid, to build a new stand if memory serves.. Jimmy Mac still lives in Burnley.

As for describing Burnley as a little club. We are a little club, always were, always will be, a population of 75 k, bigger towns such as Blackburn, Bolton and Manchester on our doorstep. At the moment we’re fighting above our weight, and carrying minimal debt, long may that continue.

talkSAFT
28-06-2017, 04:03 PM
How could we (old 'uns) forget that 1960 team (missed out Brian Pilkington, Tommy Cummings (who went on to take the Villa down, as Manager), and my favourite Alex Elder the LB. We used to take "the Burnley short-corner" in the playground, which no one had seen before. And how sad we were when Spurs won the Final that year!

holmleighchris
28-06-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty certain Dave Thomas made his Burnley debut in the match at our place which we won 8-1. He looked far too small and frail ever to make it as a top player. That day was a Bobby Hope masterclass.

baggie in Spain
28-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what Mr Williams and the his scouting team do to justify their salary's Pullis can only work with what his is given which seems to very little just scraps. God help us if he leaves he might not play attractive football but he can send out an organised team which is why we are still in the Premiership.
Why does no one from the club come out and make a statement to inform us what is happening also I think the captain left not for money he could see no ambition coming from the club.

baggieal
28-06-2017, 05:22 PM
i ain't renewed yet either and am having doubts also. I would not class Huddersfield of having more ambition. Surely their goal is to survive next season as is ours.
Reading through the thread and although their views are welcome. I tend to ignore what other teams supporters think of us. I also ignore what professional pundits think. They don't pay to watch us. Believe me it's completely different when you pay to watch the rubbish we serve up. In other words I'll decide when i should feel happy not when somebody tells me when i should

It's rubbish because, we lack quality in certain positions, and have a thread bare squad. Even our Captain went to Stoke for more money - that tells you something!

It will still be rubbish this year, if we buy players that no other premiership club wants, because they are either rubbish, or a gamble may come off.

Only one person can change rubbish to quality - and he's the little chap in China. Sunderland were rubbish ( not so much because of Moyes ) because they had a rubbish squad and this is what happens!

PS - if we get Rodriquez he's a gamble, because he's still very injury prone and don't see a couple of Saints supporters, I know crying.

Whicka_Mon
28-06-2017, 05:58 PM
It's rubbish because, we lack quality in certain positions, and have a thread bare squad. Even our Captain went to Stoke for more money - that tells you something!

It will still be rubbish this year, if we buy players that no other premiership club wants, because they are either rubbish, or a gamble may come off.

Only one person can change rubbish to quality - and he's the little chap in China. Sunderland were rubbish ( not so much because of Moyes ) because they had a rubbish squad and this is what happens!

PS - if we get Rodriquez he's a gamble, because he's still very injury prone and don't see a couple of Saints supporters, I know crying.

I am unsure on Rodriguez mate. But no striker will do well the way we play. I get your points about lack of spending but on the flip side you can pay a fortune for rubbish. Take John Stones or West Hams signings last year.
All players cost virtually nothing at some point. It's just finding them at the right time. We probably already have but Pulis will never play or sign kids. He'll never take a chance on them. Leko may have been the option to save us money. But he never played him when there was nothing at stake. So when is he going to play him?

To answer the original question. I hope Pulis walks and fast. But he won't and why should he? He has smoke blown up his back end by people who never see us. When anything goes wrong it's never him. Two and half years it's his squad No one elses.
Thanks Tone but enough is enough.

baggieal
28-06-2017, 06:06 PM
I am unsure on Rodriguez mate. But no striker will do well the way we play. I get your points about lack of spending but on the flip side you can pay a fortune for rubbish. Take John Stones or West Hams signings last year.
All players cost virtually nothing at some point. It's just finding them at the right time. We probably already have but Pulis will never play or sign kids. He'll never take a chance on them. Leko may have been the option to save us money. But he never played him when there was nothing at stake. So when is he going to play him?

To answer the original question. I hope Pulis walks and fast. But he won't and why should he? He has smoke blown up his back end by people who never see us. When anything goes wrong it's never him. Two and half years it's his squad No one elses.
Thanks Tone but enough is enough.

Personally don't think the kids are good enough yet and not over impressed that much, when they have played. Leko needs to be loaned out, and for me Field is decent but too light weight.

Love him or hate him ( Pulis ), and aren't no fan but are realistic - with the same squad for 17/18 and NO Pulis - we will be well and truly fecked. So if you want him gone, you either are praying for a huge gamble, or you want championship football.

Can't see Lai investing any more than Peace - that's two bob taking into account payrole as well! Fletcher went just like Long and Philips - we did not tempt them with you guessed it - THE GOING RATE!

Blame the Board/Owner for crap! You don't blame the store manager at Poundland for now stocking products which are £3/£4 - you blame the Board!!!!

Albionic68
28-06-2017, 06:58 PM
National Sh!t the Bed Day seems to come around quicker every year :) :p .

Whicka_Mon
28-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Personally don't think the kids are good enough yet and not over impressed that much, when they have played. Leko needs to be loaned out, and for me Field is decent but too light weight.

Love him or hate him ( Pulis ), and aren't no fan but are realistic - with the same squad for 17/18 and NO Pulis - we will be well and truly fecked. So if you want him gone, you either are praying for a huge gamble, or you want championship football.

Can't see Lai investing any more than Peace - that's two bob taking into account payrole as well! Fletcher went just like Long and Philips - we did not tempt them with you guessed it - THE GOING RATE!

Blame the Board/Owner for crap! You don't blame the store manager at Poundland for now stocking products which are £3/£4 - you blame the Board!!!!
Trouble is mate you can blame the manager of Poundland when he puts the products on the wrong shelves and in the wrong place.

Not the boards fault our players can't pass to each other, not the boards fault the players weren't motivated to finish the season in a professional manner. It wasn't the board who played Brunt on the right wing. It wasn't the board who was working for ITV last summer when they should have been actively trying to recruit players.
Please mate look at the form this calendar year. Then tell me that Tony Pulis is the only manager in the entire universe that can keep us up. With a straight face.

Q165
28-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty certain Dave Thomas made his Burnley debut in the match at our place which we won 8-1. He looked far too small and frail ever to make it as a top player. That day was a Bobby Hope masterclass.

I remember it well. I had never seen a result like that before

WBA123
29-06-2017, 08:31 AM
A lot of people on here talking about spending money. Its about quality not how much £££'s we spend,

Just to give you an idea of our recruitment down the years;

Gareth McCauley - Free
Jonny Evans - £7m
Craig Dawson - £400k
Claudio Yacob - Free
Chris Brunt - £3m
Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
James Morrison - £1.5m

This is just off the top of my head. Those players have helped us develop through the years and have cost virtually nothing. Look at how much Kante, Mahrez and Vardy cost Leicester.

We probably can't compete with the top 12/14 teams in the Prem. So lets buy wisely, it doesn't matter how much money we spend, it matters that they're the right type of players.

talkSAFT
29-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Spot on, 123.
Trouble is - even more so the last year or 2 - if we went to Hayes to spend today's equivalent of £5,000 on a budding Cyrille they'd probably want £20m, knowing that weve got it! (Maybe that's why we've publicly stated we've got £40m to spend (and not £80m).

goodlordmurphy
29-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Like this post...where's the button?

goodlordmurphy
29-06-2017, 11:54 AM
A lot of people on here talking about spending money. Its about quality not how much £££'s we spend,

Gareth McCauley - Free
Jonny Evans - £7m
Craig Dawson - £400k
Claudio Yacob - Free
Chris Brunt - £3m
Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
James Morrison - £1.5m

This is just off the top of my head. Those players have helped us develop through the years and have cost virtually nothing. Look at how much Kante, Mahrez and Vardy cost Leicester.

We probably can't compete with the top 12/14 teams in the Prem. So lets buy wisely, it doesn't matter how much money we spend, it matters that they're the right type of players.

Big problem is we lost 'Dan the man' to the FA, it will take another special one to fill his boots...Garlick failed miserably.

holmleighchris
29-06-2017, 03:55 PM

Gareth McCauley - Free
Jonny Evans - £7m
Craig Dawson - £400k
Claudio Yacob - Free
Chris Brunt - £3m
Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
James Morrison - £1.5m

The list of failures would be much, much longer.
We've done well to consolidate a place in the top flight over the last 8 years or so but we have next to no squad whatsoever at the moment and our efforts to recruit seem to be almost non existent. Charlie Taylor could have been one to go on the good list and would have cost very little in today's market yet we have let him slip away.

sweeper5
29-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Gareth McCauley - Free
Jonny Evans - £7m
Craig Dawson - £400k
Claudio Yacob - Free
Chris Brunt - £3m
Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
James Morrison - £1.5m

I agree with your last sentence, but I do get the feeling that some will not be satisfied unless we buy players in the £20 million + category.

Have had a look into what Leicester paid for those players you mentioned; by far the most expensive was Kante at around the £5.6 million mark, whereas both Vardy and Mahrez were very cheap - Vardy went to them for a fee of £1 million, rising to £1.7 million with add-ons ( that was a Non-League record) and Mahrez cost them around the £400k mark.