PDA

View Full Version : It's Wimbledon

oldcolner
04-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Anyone excited?
Wawrinka falls at the first, Murray gets another ice bath and plays the German guy who blew Rafa away last year.

1959_60
04-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Aye OC, I am a tennis buff.

BUT I am currently involved in constructing a complicated set of shelves. I should have gone to Ikea...

Djokovic and Konta for me.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-07-2017, 02:53 PM
I shudder any time Wimbledon get mentioned. That FA Cup defeat still rankles!

Altobelli
04-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Not for me, a waste of Licence money having it on 2 channels throwing money at McEnroe, Becker and all the rest.

oldcolner
04-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Not much to get excited about yet. Bedene beating Karlovic and Kyle Edmunds getting his first win in four years whilst Fed and Djokovic get retiral byes.

oldcolner
05-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Four Brits in last 32 so far.
Andy disposes of Brown, Konta squeezes through 10-8 in third, heather Watson finds it easy and Bedene gets through in 4 after coping with swarms of flying ants.

oldcolner
08-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Two Brits left Murray after a foggy session and Konta couldn't have done better, and six over30s so far into men's quarter finals with Fed still playing to make it a record 7. Andies brother knocked out of men's double

sinkov
08-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Cracking game Murray and Fognini last night, Murray looked on his way out at one point but somehow managed to turn it round. He doesn't look 100% though Andy, I'll be surprised if he wins it this year.

Supersub6
08-07-2017, 09:35 PM
We talk about footballers getting ridiculous salaries and yet we have seen tennis players getting £35,000 this week for less than an hour on court. Mind boggling!

oldcolner
08-07-2017, 11:44 PM
SS
Yes, but they only get that for one week and possibly once a year for some. Footballers can get double that every week every year, plus bonuses image rights etc.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 03:15 AM
It amazes me how anyone can get excited about professional tennis? :zzz:

sinkov
09-07-2017, 08:43 AM
It amazes me how anyone can get excited about professional tennis? :zzz:

Says a man who presumably watched season after season of Cotterball. After that even snail-racing seems exciting.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Says a man who presumably watched season after season of Cotterball. After that even snail-racing seems exciting.

I have a lot of time for what Steve did for us. He saved us from returning back to oblivion IMHO, some of his transfer dealings were absolutely bloody amazing.

His astuteness in the transfer market helped us to survive. How he got the results he got with the players he had available still amazes me.

How he got Southampton to transfer over a million quid for a dodgy centre half is the stuff of legends! :D

sinkov
09-07-2017, 09:43 AM
He sorted our defence out and no mistake. At the other end he hadn't a clue. He was a very flawed character, and his teams were ****e to watch.
I thought he might have landed on his feet at Brum, sort their defence out and leave the attacking side to Harry, but seems he's not interested. Maybe for the best, two big hitters at the same club probably wouldn't work.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Why do you say he had a very flawed character sinkov? :confused:

sinkov
09-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Walking out of the Gary Higson radio interview, reading what Brendan Flood and Brian Jensen said about dealing with him in their books, the description of him by the Gloucester Echo journo when he was at Cheltenham, walking out on Stoke 3 months into the season. I could go on.

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Walking out of the Gary Higson radio interview, reading what Brendan Flood and Brian Jensen said about dealing with him in their books, the description of him by the Gloucester Echo journo when he was at Cheltenham, walking out on Stoke 3 months into the season. I could go on.

He knows his football though! I need to find out what Flood and Jensen said about him?

oldcolner
10-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Quarter final day for the two Brits

Sixth seed Konta plays France's 21st seed Caroline Garcia in the opening match on Court One at 13:00 BST.

Defending champion Murray plays Frenchman Benoit Paire on Centre Court at about 15:00.

Hoping for two semi finalists.

It is 44 years since Roger Taylor and Virginia Wade carried British hopes into both the men's and women's quarter-finals.

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Quarter final day for the two Brits

Sixth seed Konta plays France's 21st seed Caroline Garcia in the opening match on Court One at 13:00 BST.

Defending champion Murray plays Frenchman Benoit Paire on Centre Court at about 15:00.

Hoping for two semi finalists.

It is 44 years since Roger Taylor and Virginia Wade carried British hopes into both the men's and women's quarter-finals.

Still not sure how Johanna qualifies as British? I am fairly certain she was formerly identified as an Australian with Hungarian qualification credentials. I know we live in a globalised world but this one stretches the credibility to be called British a bit too far IMHO.:?

sinkov
10-07-2017, 08:34 AM
He knows his football though! I need to find out what Flood and Jensen said about him?

You can be sure he ain't on Beast's Xmas card list.

sinkov
10-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Still not sure how Johanna qualifies as British? I am fairly certain she was formerly identified as an Australian with Hungarian qualification credentials. I know we live in a globalised world but this one stretches the credibility to be called British a bit too far IMHO.:?

I know where you're coming from BT, but that horse has long since bolted, you can be just what you want to be these days, more or less.

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 08:50 AM
I know where you're coming from BT, but that horse has long since bolted, you can be just what you want to be these days, more or less.

I guess so sinkov! ;D

oldcolner
10-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Two quarter finalists - well done Andy and Johanna

Born to Hungarian parents in Sydney, Australia, Konta moved to the UK in 2005 when she was 14. She switched her sporting allegiance from Australia to Great Britain after she became a British citizen in May 2012.

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
So we have a Magyar/Aussie and a snotty nosed Scot batting for GB? Thrilling!

England brave England, where art thou? :O

Norder
10-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Born to Hungarian parents in Sydney, Australia, Konta moved to the UK in 2005 when she was 14. She switched her sporting allegiance from Australia to Great Britain after she became a British citizen in May 2012.

...said they wanted better facilities but in truth they could'nt get enough Ozzy funding so family moved to Barcelona...then advertised her to be Sold to the highest offer.

makes me wonder....what if Kim Jong-Un would've put a bid in >:)

http://nationalreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/KimJongUn.jpg

;D

oldcolner
10-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Looks a bit like a wrong Un to me

oldcolner
10-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Not rising to snotty nosed. We do have Dan Coke Evans oh no we don't, well we have Alijaz Bedene, oh he represented Slovenia when he turned pro in 2008. On 31 March 2015, Bedene was granted UK citizenship and now represents Great Britain
Well Greg Rusedski, oh he was Canadian.

Well Heather Watson was born in Guernsey to a Papua New Guinean mother! Ok there's Laura Robson who was born on 21 January 1994 in Melbourne, Australia, the third child of Australian parents Andrew, an oil executive with Royal Dutch Shell, and Kathy Robson, a sports coach and former professional basketball player.Robson and her family moved from Melbourne to Singapore when she was 18 months old, and then to the United Kingdom when she was six

Maybe we don't have anyone!

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Not rising to snotty nosed. We do have Dan Coke Evans oh no we don't, well we have Alijaz Bedene, oh he represented Slovenia when he turned pro in 2008. On 31 March 2015, Bedene was granted UK citizenship and now represents Great Britain
Well Greg Rusedski, oh he was Canadian.

Well Heather Watson was born in Guernsey to a Papua New Guinean mother! Ok there's Laura Robson who was born on 21 January 1994 in Melbourne, Australia, the third child of Australian parents Andrew, an oil executive with Royal Dutch Shell, and Kathy Robson, a sports coach and former professional basketball player.Robson and her family moved from Melbourne to Singapore when she was 18 months old, and then to the United Kingdom when she was six

Maybe we don't have anyone!

I only post these things solely to wind you up oldcolner! Amazed you keep taking the bait! :P

oldcolner
10-07-2017, 08:06 PM
I only post these things solely to wind you up oldcolner! Amazed you keep taking the bait! :P

You are a tease!

Great game today with Muller taking Rafa out in 5 (sets and hours) 15-13.

oldcolner
11-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Jo Konta and Simona Halep at one set all both won on tie breaks and battering the ball harder than Andy Murray!:O

oldcolner
11-07-2017, 09:14 PM
So Jo does it in three and now Britain has the two top seeds left in men's and women's.
Could they actually do it - would be amazing if they did.
Murray has to beat Querrey tomorrow to equal Jo in the semifinal. Jo has Venus next- only 37 years old!

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 03:23 AM
So Jo does it in three and now Britain has the two top seeds left in men's and women's.
Could they actually do it - would be amazing if they did.
Murray has to beat Querrey tomorrow to equal Jo in the semifinal. Jo has Venus next- only 37 years old!

Guaranteed to end in tears oldcolner...:?

outwoodclaret
12-07-2017, 03:43 AM

A very early post BT. You must be first in the queue this morning at SW19!

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 06:30 AM

This will give you a few tears of joy - man v poncho http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40570914

Jamie Murray now top seed left in mixed doubles too, it's getting better we could win three Well Scotland could win 2 :P

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 06:54 AM
...and Australia/Hungary another one?

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 07:07 AM
...and Australia/Hungary another one?

Hope so - speaks better English than me too.
When she came here she was a qualifier for tournaments and even in 2015 she began the year by entering the qualifying of the WTA Tour events at Shenzhen and Sydney, but did not manage to progress to either of the main draws. She was also eliminated in qualifying at the Australian Open.
To go from that to a top ten player in two years is amazing..... and certainly more to do with Britain than Oz or Hungary. ;D

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Hope so - speaks better English than me too.
When she came here she was a qualifier for tournaments and even in 2015 she began the year by entering the qualifying of the WTA Tour events at Shenzhen and Sydney, but did not manage to progress to either of the main draws. She was also eliminated in qualifying at the Australian Open.
To go from that to a top ten player in two years is amazing..... and certainly more to do with Britain than Oz or Hungary. ;D

I think just about anyone speaks better English than a lad born in Colne and living in Scotland...;D

Oldtimeram
12-07-2017, 09:08 AM
I like watching Johanna Konta for obvious reasons :)

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Yes, her back hand is a joy to behold oldtimer!

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 09:39 AM

She seems to like pensioners too!

Oldtimeram
12-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Hope for me yet. I am hoping I can look forward to experiencing her full toss

Supersub6
12-07-2017, 11:07 AM

I can let you borrow a red jacket if you wish --she really seems to like those.

Oldtimeram
12-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Yes why not

sinkov
12-07-2017, 11:46 AM

The pensioner seemed to like her as well, he seemed extremely 'perky' just afterwards, like he'd had a new lease of life. It reminded me a bit of the 'Miracle of Turf Moor' a few years back.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Told you it would all end in tears oldcolner...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/andy-murray-crashes-out-of-wimbledon-after-losing-quarter-final-to-sam-querrey-in-five-sets/ar-BBEinhR?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Pity Andy couldn't preserve his service breaks, but 5 sets for a damaged hip was too much. Hope the damage isn't permanent.

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Tears for Djokovic too retiring with tennis elbow.
Federer odds on to win it now.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Tears for Djokovic too retiring with tennis elbow.
Federer odds on to win it now.

The British Lions were playing with dislocated knees and broken arms. Murray gets a dicky hip and that's his excuse? Nah!!! :O

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 07:37 PM
The British Lions were playing with dislocated knees and broken arms. Murray gets a dicky hip and that's his excuse? Nah!!! :O

Ok BT you're at it again. The whole team you imply. Name the affected Lions then!

Andy must stop wearing the kilt he's getting chills in the nether regions. Hasn't affected his ability to father a second though!

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 07:54 PM
You know I can't stand the stuck up Scottish mard arse oldcolner, let's called it a Robert the Bruce (truce) on this one?

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 08:44 PM
You know I can't stand the stuck up Scottish mard arse oldcolner, let's called it a Robert the Bruce (truce) on this one?

Think you really have the hots for him and his mum, but are in denial. ;D
Why not book a stay at Cromlix House hotel to help you get over it. You could even visit Bannockburn and Robert

Do you think tennis is becoming a bit of a racquet with all these folk pulling out before they finish their games?

Supersub6
12-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Djokovic gets £275,000 for 11 sets of tennis and Murray gets the same for 18 sets --not bad if you can get it.
Those that went out injured in the 1st round collected £35,000 for less than an hour on court.

oldcolner
13-07-2017, 07:14 AM
I suppose giving wild cards to up and coming folk or those comi back from long term injury who are expected to lose is a way of helping them carry on playing and for some might be their main source of income. In that case £35 k isn't a lot.

oldcolner
13-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Ah well that's Jo Ko out now.
I see Tennis Australia dumped her as not having enough talent to keep her funding. No wonder she doesn't see herself as an Ozzie.
Well done to Murguruza and Venus.

The Bedlington Terrier
13-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Ah well that's Jo Ko out now.
I see Tennis Australia dumped her as not having enough talent to keep her funding. No wonder she doesn't see herself as an Ozzie.
Well done to Murguruza and Venus.

Teardrops! :rolleyes::blue:

sinkov
13-07-2017, 07:57 PM
I've just checked back in my betting book and found I'd backed Venus @ 45/1 for the French Open, my 'right horse, wrong race' syndrome strikes again. Of course I haven't had a penny on her here, bloody typical.

oldcolner
14-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Sorry Sinkov.
Men's day today and Cilic beats Querry in four sets, now to see how much Berdych can resist the Fed!

oldcolner
15-07-2017, 05:27 PM
So it's Fed v Cilic tomorrow and a new ladies champion in Garbine Muguruzza who pipped the first set in a tie break and then dominated a wilting Venus 6-0.

oldcolner
15-07-2017, 05:30 PM
We must win the mixed doubles as both pairs have a GB person. Choose between Jamie Murray or heather Watson.

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 06:45 AM
I've just checked back in my betting book and found I'd backed Venus @ 45/1 for the French Open, my 'right horse, wrong race' syndrome strikes again. Of course I haven't had a penny on her here, bloody typical.

Be best for you to leave betting alone altogether sinkov! B)

oldcolner
16-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Would have lost again anyway Sinkov!

Supersub6
16-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Well done to Roger Federer today on making history at Wimbledon. Great player and what a tremendous example of what a champion should be with his excellent interview just after he had received the trophy. A real sportsman and a joy to watch.

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Well done to Roger Federer today on making history at Wimbledon. Great player and what a tremendous example of what a champion should be with his excellent interview just after he had received the trophy. A real sportsman and a joy to watch.

Hear, hear! :D

oldcolner
16-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Reduced Cilic to tears such was his dominance. Never lost a set the whole tournament either.
Well done Jamie Murray and Martina Hingis for winning the mixed doubles.

Norder
16-07-2017, 06:46 PM

somewhat weird sport isn't it......who'd want to be champion - at Rogering a Fedora :confused:

https://s4.postimg.org/nrkpkadv1/Roger_Fedora_NDR.jpg

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 07:31 PM

somewhat weird sport isn't it......who'd want to be champion - at Rogering a Fedora :confused:

https://s4.postimg.org/nrkpkadv1/Roger_Fedora_NDR.jpg

;D

Amazing Champion though. Even a non-tennis buff like me can appreciate that! :P

Norder
16-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Amazing Champion though. Even a non-tennis buff like me can appreciate that! :P

....se what you mean BT - so do you think the "out come"....would have been different if he was wearing a Djockstrapovic ?

:D;D

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 07:52 PM
....se what you mean BT - so do you think the "out come"....would have been different if he was wearing a Djockstrapovic ?

:D;D

If Federer had popped his ***** in a pencil sharpener he would have still won! :)

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 07:53 PM
That was the FM banned word P E N I S incidentally! :O

sinkov
16-07-2017, 09:44 PM

No, no, no BT, you're forgetting about the exchanges. The profit in backing early at big prices is locked in when they progress and the price shortens. I had a fiver on Williams @ 45/1 in Paris, I had £225 to play with and the first game she played where she was odds against I layed her to £20. She got beat, she was out, but I'd won £15 on the bets. Similar with Cilic at Wimbledon, I had a fiver on him pre-tournament @ 25/1 and layed him to £15 when he got into the last four, he didn't win Wimbledon but I still won a tenner on him. Of course the big money arrives when they win at a big price, but as long as your selection makes some progress in the tournament you're going to come out in front.

Altobelli
16-07-2017, 10:41 PM
No, no, no BT, you're forgetting about the exchanges. The profit in backing early at big prices is locked in when they progress and the price shortens. I had a fiver on Williams @ 45/1 in Paris, I had £225 to play with and the first game she played where she was odds against I layed her to £20. She got beat, she was out, but I'd won £15 on the bets. Similar with Cilic at Wimbledon, I had a fiver on him pre-tournament @ 25/1 and layed him to £15 when he got into the last four, he didn't win Wimbledon but I still won a tenner on him. Of course the big money arrives when they win at a big price, but as long as your selection makes some progress in the tournament you're going to come out in front.

I wish you would have told me that 45 years ago when I was spunkin my wage week after week Sinkov.

sinkov
16-07-2017, 11:31 PM
I wish you would have told me that 45 years ago when I was spunkin my wage week after week Sinkov.

There weren't betting exchanges then though were there Alto, only the bookies could lay bets off, now anyone can. And there was that pernicious betting tax which no longer exists, add in the BOGs which allow you to beat SP with around 60% of your bets, and you've got to be a real mug to lose much to the bookies these days. Us punters have never had it so good.

And then there's matched betting, where you actually CAN'T lose. Happy days.

Altobelli
17-07-2017, 10:24 AM
I doubt it would have made any difference Sinkov, I was told many times that there was many windows in a betting shop for putting your bet on but only 1 for pay outs, I should have invested more money in Clearasil for my ****age spots than throwing it away.