PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France

oldcolner
04-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Horrible crash for Cavendish in last 300 metres as he gets taken out at 55mph by Peter Sagan (the World Champions) elbow and hits the fence then road and then gets hit and ridden over by colleagues.
Damage to his shoulder and stitches needed for his finger so probably out.

Sagan disqualified from the Tour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40498656

Thomas also crashes but given then same time as winner so retains yellow jersey.

Norder
04-07-2017, 07:47 PM

....Sagen did move off his line and over onto Cavendish - and the raised elbow sealed it...but to disqualify him from the Tour was I think harsh, as if they're going to play tough then why not penalise Frenchman Demare for moving off his line and cutting up Bouhanni ???....that would have put Kristoff (Norway) to first, but if Bouhanni (FR) would have taken second...would they then have slapped a penalty on Demare.....?

;D

Norder
04-07-2017, 07:53 PM

here it is..... .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZixKg9pNUc

:)

oldcolner
04-07-2017, 07:55 PM

....Sagen did move off his line and over onto Cavendish - and the raised elbow sealed it...but to disqualify him from the Tour was I think harsh, as if they're going to play tough then why not penalise Frenchman Demare for moving off his line and cutting up Bouhanni ???....that would have put Kristoff (Norway) to first, but if Bouhanni (FR) would have taken second...would they then have slapped a penalty on Demare.....?

;D

I don't know the rules but he didn't just raise his elbow he elbowed him over and into the fence. if he had been placed last today as I heard some suggest would he have carried on anyway.
He apparently did the same thing yesterday to another rider.

Norder
04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
I don't know the rules but he didn't just raise his elbow he elbowed him over and into the fence. if he had been placed last today as I heard some suggest would he have carried on anyway.
He apparently did the same thing yesterday to another rider.

....last in the race was the original ruling, then they upped it to disqualification.

....sprinters clash, it's fairly normal....I think the damage was done when Sagen squeezed Cavendish - looks like he was already going over, I think the Sagen elbow was more of a "shove off mate....your not taking me out".
Again...and ok, they can rule as the did against Sagen - but why did Demare get off scot - free ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869ytxoJsF8

;D

oldcolner
04-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Sorry can't answer Norder.
The TV expert commentator said Sagan was not allowed to switch and jump about on who he was tracking and Cav was tracking the eventual winner and he wasn't so what he did before the elbow was not on.
Just saying what he said.

Norder
04-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Sorry can't answer Norder.
The TV expert commentator said Sagan was not allowed to switch and jump about on who he was tracking and Cav was tracking the eventual winner and he wasn't so what he did before the elbow was not on.
Just saying what he said.

thats right as I see it Colner.

...can see from the early seconds of the vid that Cavendish was tracking Demare...it was Sagen that moved too far onto Cav's line which caused the crash...Sagen did have room to his left but wanted to slipstream Demare so didn't go there....it was dangerous as Cav had nowhere to go but the barrier.
But then see Demare cut across Bouhanni's line catching his wheel....why was that ok ?.... true that "we" can't answer...being the final decision is down to the judges - perhaps if Bouhanni had gone down then Demare would have been penalised....then later if Bouhanni was found unfit to continue - they would have DQed Demare...but it was no less of a dangerous manouvere than Sagens.

Cheers.

.....a nice steep and telling climb to finish tomorrows stage ;D

https://billedeupload.dk/images/R03d5.png

oldcolner
05-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Cav broken his shoulder so he's out too.
That climb looks scary, not one for Cav anyway. Maybe this is Froome time

sinkov
05-07-2017, 11:15 AM
If the local gendarmerie have a look at that elbow he could be up for GBH at least. It's a rough game in the last 300m and they all know the risks and accept them, but that elbow went beyond what's acceptable, l'm just surprised it took them so long to throw him off the race.

oldcolner
05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Cav broken his shoulder so he's out too.
That climb looks scary, not one for Cav anyway. Maybe this is Froome time

Britain's Chris Froome took the yellow jersey from team-mate Geraint Thomas as Italy's Fabio Aru won the fifth stage of the Tour de France.

Astana rider Aru attacked with 2.3km to go on the final 6km climb up La Planche des Belles Filles and could not be caught by the chasing Froome.

Irishman Dan Martin (Quick-Step Floors) came second as Froome (Team Sky) finished third.

Froome, 32, leads Welshman Thomas by 12 seconds in the general classification.

Norder
05-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Aru took off without a response....and went max effort to the finish line - Froome attacked but seemingly had eyes only for Porte/Martin - they broke from the pack and fell back into the sub-optimal, then gamed it and waited for one or other to make a move - meanwhile Aru is still pushing away and the chasers were coming back on them.....they did go max and pulled some time back, question is...didn't they have the legs to chase Aru - or were the main rivals content to keep it and their cards close...it is early days.
Great result for (Bury born) Simon Yates, came in sixth, took the white jersey - and was only six seconds off Froome.

https://images.supersport.com/2017/7/Simon-Yates-lookson-170615G300.jpg

;D

oldcolner
05-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Sagan says he has done nothing wrong!,
Cav has been very diplomatic.

The Bedlington Terrier
05-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Just a set of dopes on bikes to me. :(

Norder
06-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Just a set of dopes on bikes to me. :(

...got that right.

http://media.caglecartoons.com/media/cartoons/107/2012/10/13/120376_600.jpg

:}

....as it was.

Health and modern fitness principles were not part of early Tours. Some riders smoked while participating in the race.....And instead of energy drinks, riders would share bottles of wine while riding.

1964: Racing cyclists getting fresh supplies of wine in the during the 11th stage of the Tour de France

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d2xyD_1Wg8c/U9J1x1BaeOI/AAAAAAAAhNM/XTITJ-Z3VsA/s1600/Tour+16.jpg

oldcolner
07-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Oh the good old days!
Who won the Claret truck sprint jersey;D

oldcolner
07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Now called Phillippa Young the British former Tour de France cyclist Robert Millar and ITV4 commentator has completed a transition to become a woman.

The 58-year-old has decided to go public with the gender change because she says there is "a much better acceptance and understanding". Millar was best known for winning the King of the Mountains prize in the Tour de France in 1984. In 1984 Millar was the second Briton to win a Tour stage, and his fourth-placed Tour finish in that year was a record for a British rider.

Millar also came second in the 1985 and 1986 Tours of Spain, as well as runner-up in the 1987 Giro d'Italia. He won three mountain stages in the Tour, all in the Pyrenees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40529614

sinkov
07-07-2017, 01:53 PM
I used to follow his career in the 80s, it wasn't as easy back then with minimal coverage, but he was awesome on the mountain stages, not many could stay with him when he was on a going day. I always wondered why he 'disappeared' a few years back and no one seemed to know what had happened to him.

oldcolner
08-07-2017, 06:00 PM
No change in the yellow Froome 12 secs ahead of Thomas and Simon Yates has white after Day 8. Busy doing other things today so missed it!

Norder
08-07-2017, 06:14 PM
No change in the yellow Froome 12 secs ahead of Thomas and Simon Yates has white after Day 8. Busy doing other things today so missed it!

not much there Colner....a breakaway was expected and was no threat...Sky Train controlled the pace, was only the AG2R Latour break that temporarily shook things....they reeled him in.

Tomorrow - Nantua to Chambery - toughest day of this year's Tour, with its many categorised climbs...should be interesting

http://src.media.cyclingnews.com/2016/10/18/1/tour_de_france_2017_stage_9.jpg

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 03:24 AM
Another "sport" that baffles me. Each rider seems to imbibe more medication than is in your average Boots store. Odd, how they seem to get away with it. :?

Lance Armstrong, Tommy Simpson...etc. etc.

sinkov
09-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Another "sport" that baffles me. Each rider seems to imbibe more medication than is in your average Boots store. Odd, how they seem to get away with it. :?

Lance Armstrong, Tommy Simpson...etc. etc.

There's not many do get away with it, I'd be here all morning if I listed those that have been caught out and banned. Big problem for cycling is that it's such a physically demanding sport that the participants will use all the 'help' they legally can, and then some will push it further, and as is the case in all sports, the dopers are often one step ahead of the testers.

It's an horrendously difficult area to police, but imo at least, those running cycling are doing their best now, after years of turning a blind eye during the Armstrong era, or even being complicit.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM
There's not many do get away with it, I'd be here all morning if I listed those that have been caught out and banned. Big problem for cycling is that it's such a physically demanding sport that the participants will use all the 'help' they legally can, and then some will push it further, and as is the case in all sports, the dopers are often one step ahead of the testers.

It's an horrendously difficult area to police, but imo at least, those running cycling are doing their best now, after years of turning a blind eye during the Armstrong era, or even being complicit.

What I don't like about professional cycling is even the likes of Sir Bradley are tarnished just for being successful. Not at all sure all sports are full of dopers either - surely not?

sinkov
09-07-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm not saying all sports are full of dopers BT, but it's not just cycling that has this problem, and it's a difficult one for all of them, that's all I'm saying. Do you know of any physically demanding sport that doesn't have some form of doping control or testing regime ?

oldcolner
09-07-2017, 09:42 AM
not much there Colner....a breakaway was expected and was no threat...Sky Train controlled the pace, was only the AG2R Latour break that temporarily shook things....they reeled him in.

Tomorrow - Nantua to Chambery - toughest day of this year's Tour, with its many categorised climbs...should be interesting

;D

Looks like it could really sort the field out

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm not saying all sports are full of dopers BT, but it's not just cycling that has this problem, and it's a difficult one for all of them, that's all I'm saying. Do you know of any physically demanding sport that doesn't have some form of doping control or testing regime ?

I don't think the female Russian shot putters do...

sinkov
09-07-2017, 03:18 PM
I don't think the female Russian shot putters do...

It's how they hide their *******s that always puzzles me.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Lol! :D

Norder
09-07-2017, 11:28 PM

Stage 9 took it's toll....Thomas crashed and out - then Port crashes out and takes out Martin on the descent....Contador and Quintana dropped and lose time - Froome has a mechanical so Aru attacked - on Mont du Chat, breaking the unwritten rule...was there retaliation ?....Barguil thought he'd got it but was pipped on the line by Uran and a knacked deraillieur stuck in high gear.

as it stands after stage 9.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETZbHaWAAAYEO7.jpg

Rest day next.

Norder
09-07-2017, 11:37 PM
It's how they hide their *******s that always puzzles me.

I know.....why dont they just get the implants ?

http://thesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/serena-phone-750x400.jpg

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 05:56 AM
That photo Norder brings a whole new meaning to transgender...:confused:

Norder
12-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Another "sport" that baffles me. Each rider seems to imbibe more medication than is in your average Boots store. Odd, how they seem to get away with it.

it's complicated chemistry.
it's in how they hide it....when/what/who hides it - and where it's hidden >:)

with two extremely boring and uninteresting flat sprint stages now over...and no Sagan or Cavendish - it's Kittel wins and Kittel wins again.
:zzz:

Next up - it's into the Pyrenees.

Stage 12: Pau – Peyragudes......214.5km.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2017/07/12/TdF-2017-stage-12-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqFyMn9piLDvzuz1-kMDkDfeAGpgOESGIkBwPlTpewhew.jpg

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Froome might get to stretch his lead then?

Norder
12-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Froome might get to stretch his lead then?

could be a mostly defensive day so perhaps a stage win for a no threat breakaway....Froomes said it's upto the other GC riders to attack Him... but then Sky train could try and control it so they can't - though other teams could conspire together against them to try and break down the Sky domestiques....now weakend in strength without their super dom Geraint Thomas.
Would like to see Bardet (excellent descender) go for it down de bales...that would liven it up bfore the Peyresourde - split the pack and see Uran, Quintana, Martin, Aru, Froome etc....race it from there.
...but something has to happen soon....being Froome has the power on the penultimate stage time trial.

Cheers Colner.

;D

sinkov
13-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Aru has got to try and ride away at some point, does he have the legs to do it again, and how far up the road can Sky afford to let him go before they respond ? They prefer to reel them in gradually and it usually works, but Aru wasn't coming back to them last time, and he rides for Astana, who I suspect might still have a can of rocket fuel hidden away somewhere at the back of their team bus.

oldcolner
13-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Aru has got to try and ride away at some point, does he have the legs to do it again, and how far up the road can Sky afford to let him go before they respond ? They prefer to reel them in gradually and it usually works, but Aru wasn't coming back to them last time, and he rides for Astana, who I suspect might still have a can of rocket fuel hidden away somewhere at the back of their team bus.

Well he did it and takes the yellow by 6 seconds as Froome struggles with the final climb!B)

Norder
13-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Stage 12 - Bardet takes it....Froome finishes 6th and fades badly in the last 300m. With Sky train controlling the race and others believing Froome had strength, nobody went for an attack, seems like Froome was pushing his doms in the hope he'd drop some of his main rivals...but knowing what they now know....they'll now regret not going earlier.
Second place was with Uran - and Aru third, giving him the Yellow from Froome by 6 seconds, Landa who dragged Froome and the rest up the Peyresourde - came an amazing 5th and only 5 seconds down. Irelands Dan Martin is still in the race for a podium coming 6th....and sits 5th overall with Simon Yates finishing in 9th and 6th in the GC.
Bardet and Aru will now look to make more time on Froome....so will both Astana and AG2R try to take control, being weaker teams than Sky - or can Aru and Bardet go it alone...being they'll know that Froome could gain time on them (50s?) in the final TT.

Next - a short mountain stage with a descent into the finish.

St Girons - Foix...101KM.

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/1300/PROFIL.png

;D

sinkov
13-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Worrying for Froome, that's twice now Aru has ridden away from him and there's been nothing he could do about it, and when the guy who's been pulling you up the hill rides away from you as well, you're in real trouble.

Just a case of trying to limit his losses now until the TT, is the end of the Froome era, can we write him off, or can he come back from this ?

The Bedlington Terrier
13-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Worrying for Froome, that's twice now Aru has ridden away from him and there's been nothing he could do about it, and when the guy who's been pulling you up the hill rides away from you as well, you're in real trouble.

Just a case of trying to limit his losses now until the TT, is the end of the Froome era, can we write him off, or can he come back from this ?

Just asking, who cares? :confused:

Norder
13-07-2017, 09:57 PM

When Aru went clear on stage 5....Froome et al made no response, just played games with each other while Aru was disapearing up the road....and when eventually they did go max - and were slowly reeling Aru in, it was too late..... at the time it was seen as a nothing, more that they let him go.
Now stage 12 - and we see Froome going from first to sixth in the final 300m - so we say, he's in trouble, can't do it..isn't the climber he was etc.
It's certainly possible....time is for fresher, younger riders coming to the fore....but then I've been looking at the stage design Sinkov (suited to some riders more than others ?).....as what we're used to seeing on the big mountain stages are long steep destructive gradients, ones that slowly break down the field, with the top riders separated on the ascent - and crossing the line individually....not in groups.
Climbs like that are perfectly suited to Froome, being he's obsessed by the numbers and his steady pedal rate....so he just keeps grinding away whilst others either fall back....or those that have pushed ahead hard go into the red and burn out.
Or is it they've just discovered it best not to push....just sit on his wheel and wait.

Time will tell.

Cheers.

Norder
13-07-2017, 10:03 PM

if I may.....there's no doubt BT............In the grand scheme of things.......Its "All" Meaningless SH*T

:D

sinkov
14-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Seems like somebody does, the estimates for the number of people who watched the two stages in Yorkshire a couple of years ago vary
between 2.5million and 3.5 million. The number of spectators lining the route over the three weeks increases every year, last estimate I saw said 12 million, but that was a few years back. The TV audience worlwide over the three weeks is reckoned to be around 3.5 billion.

Just who counts all these people though I've no idea.

sinkov
14-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Interesting analysis above Norder, it was certainly an unusual finish, but why did it catch Froome out more than the others ? He had his team with him all day, Sky dictated the pace, so in effect Froome dictated the pace, right up until the last couple of hundred yards, and it wasn't a pace that saw off many of the other GC contenders so he should have been capable of riding to the line, but he almost came to a standstill, he was in serious difficulty.

Maybe it was just that finish, maybe normal service will be resumed, we can only wait and see. It did remind me of watching Indurain in the 90s though, year after year, stage after stage, Miguel just rode away from them in the mountains, it was monotous, he was imperious, untouchable, you just knew what would happen. Then on one stage, one day, someone took him on and he just dropped back, he was there at the head of the race one minute, then he was gone, and he was finished, it was over, in an instant, just like that. Have we just seen the same thing with Froome ? I doubt it, but there were alarming similarities.

Norder
14-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Interesting analysis above Norder, it was certainly an unusual finish, but why did it catch Froome out more than the others ? He had his team with him all day, Sky dictated the pace, so in effect Froome dictated the pace, right up until the last couple of hundred yards, and it wasn't a pace that saw off many of the other GC contenders so he should have been capable of riding to the line, but he almost came to a standstill, he was in serious difficulty.
Maybe it was just that finish, maybe normal service will be resumed, we can only wait and see. It did remind me of watching Indurain in the 90s though, year after year, stage after stage, Miguel just rode away from them in the mountains, it was monotous, he was imperious, untouchable, you just knew what would happen. Then on one stage, one day, someone took him on and he just dropped back, he was there at the head of the race one minute, then he was gone, and he was finished, it was over, in an instant, just like that. Have we just seen the same thing with Froome ? I doubt it, but there were alarming similarities.

Was it that final last steep incline before the finish that did for him ?

Looking at Bardet crossing the line dribbling like an alien....and Aru catching flies the size of a bus with his gaping mouth...all out of their seat and giving it everything they had...then see Froome rise up and push only to re-seat him self and check his numbers.
Perhaps - they can go into red with quicker muscle recovery....maybe Froome can't - that could have been the case with Indurain...pushed himself too hard.....he burnt out, there's no quick way of coming back from that....but then these days....with the wonders of modern chemicals etc ??? ;D

Oh dear - look at what the French have done, Uran and Bennet receive time penalties for "taking" an illegal feed...then frenchman Bardet also found to have taken drinks but No Penalty...there were protests...but rather than add 20secs to Bardets time, they reversed the decision on Bennet and Uran.
A typically French move, ego's are that big they reckon nobody would notice such shameful hypocritical incompetence....but they don't care about that, being stuck in their own selfish little bubbles as they are.

Cheers.

The Bedlington Terrier
14-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Seems like somebody does, the estimates for the number of people who watched the two stages in Yorkshire a couple of years ago vary
between 2.5million and 3.5 million. The number of spectators lining the route over the three weeks increases every year, last estimate I saw said 12 million, but that was a few years back. The TV audience worlwide over the three weeks is reckoned to be around 3.5 billion.

Just who counts all these people though I've no idea.

Aye, but that's in Yorkshire sinkov. Them daft beggars will sit and watch paint dry! :?

oldcolner
14-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Aye, but that's in Yorkshire sinkov. Them daft beggars will sit and watch paint dry! :?

3 billion yorkies :O heavens to murgatroyd - that's stretching things too far.

Surprised no one has yet said On yer bike. ;D

sinkov
14-07-2017, 07:18 PM
I was talking to a Frenchie a few years back Norder, he was wondering why us Brits seemed to have such difficulty with the EU. I told him a lot of it was down to the petty regs emanating from Brussells, telling us what we could and couldn't do with our fruit and veg, weights and measures, light bulbs etc, all stuff we were perfectly capable of sorting out for ourselves without their interference. His answer was basically, "What's the matter with you, just accept the regs you want to adhere to, and ignore the rest, that's what we do in France."

It applies to the Tour as well as the EU it seems.

Norder
14-07-2017, 09:35 PM
I was talking to a Frenchie a few years back Norder, he was wondering why us Brits seemed to have such difficulty with the EU. I told him a lot of it was down to the petty regs emanating from Brussells, telling us what we could and couldn't do with our fruit and veg, weights and measures, light bulbs etc, all stuff we were perfectly capable of sorting out for ourselves without their interference. His answer was basically, "What's the matter with you, just accept the regs you want to adhere to, and ignore the rest, that's what we do in France."
It applies to the Tour as well as the EU it seems.

Good story and true - Sinkov......and in general - one that applies anywhere that could be of benefit to them....even if to the detriment of others.....as they either care nothing or have little capacity to consider the ramifications of their deeds.

Cheers.

Today on the Tour....Stage 13.

Barguil takes the stage....no notable attacks or changes among the GC riders, but for Landa who with Contador broke away and stayed away - with Sky teams Landa who started the day at just under 3mins down...bringing himself within 1min9secs of the yellow jersey.
Froome, Aru gap remains at 6sec.

Next up....Blagnac - Rodez....181.5km

...a stage for the big sprinters - Kittel/Matthews.

http://img.cyclingfever.com/editie/profiel/17_2017_14.jpg

;D

oldcolner
15-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Well Froome gets his tactics right by coming 7th and Aru goes badly wrong allowing Froome to retake the yellow with a 19 second lead. The sprinters took a rest day.

sinkov
15-07-2017, 11:46 PM
I could be wrong because I was only half-listening, but I thought Boardman said on ITV that Aru had been caught out because Astana hadn't done their homework on this stage, and were unaware of the nature of the finish and the potential for time gaps to open up. If that is the case it's a shocking indictment of the Astana management. It certainly wouldn't happen at Sky.

Norder
16-07-2017, 12:42 AM
I could be wrong because I was only half-listening, but I thought Boardman said on ITV that Aru had been caught out because Astana hadn't done their homework on this stage, and were unaware of the nature of the finish and the potential for time gaps to open up. If that is the case it's a shocking indictment of the Astana management. It certainly wouldn't happen at Sky.

...am unsure what exactly went on Sinkov - Astana are weakened, therefore Aru isn't getting anywhere near the support of Froome and his mostly Sky super doms - but then Aru wore the Yellow jersey....and shouldn't let himself be dropped or caught out so easily - otherwise, did his legs fail him or....knowing his team couldn't control the racing - preferred to surrender the Yellow...for sky to do the work :confused:
A good win for the puncheur sprinter Matthews....hot on the tale of (rested) pure sprinter Kittel for the Green jersey - could even go for it again.....on a tough to predict and lively looking - Stage 15.

Laissac-Sévérac l'Église to Le Puy-en-Velay, 189.5km

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/05/26/2/tdf17_profil15_670.jpg

Cheers.

;D

oldcolner
16-07-2017, 07:05 AM
You would have expected Aru to be shadowing Froome just in case rather than expecting the peloton to stay together to the end. The end climb wasn't obvious from the stage contour map, but the sprinters knew it and rested, strange if Astana management didn't.
Today's race looks like the field could fracture early on the mountains and a downhill last 25 km finish could let a breakaway group get the benefit

sinkov
16-07-2017, 07:48 AM
It was a bit of a mystery yesterday, it was a relatively easy stage so even a weakened Astana should have had no difficulty keeping the Yellow Jersey up towards the front, it was surely too easy a stage for Aru's legs to fail him, and knowing Froome can take time off him in the TT you can't imagine Aru voluntarily conceded time to him on such an easy stage coming into the last week of the race. All very odd. Maybe Boardman is right, his simple explanation is that Astana took their eye off the ball, dropped an almighty *******, and read the finish wrong. Not much else makes sense.

oldcolner
16-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Well it went well for Froome who managed to keep his lead despite having a puncture. Tomorrow we can all rest!

Norder
16-07-2017, 07:35 PM

- Sky were caught out with a burst of pace along the gorge at the foot of the Peyra Taillade....then Froome suffers what was thought was a puncutre, but was actuallya broken spoke - loses around 45s to his main GC rivals and has to battle his way back to them....burning up teamates Hineo and Nieve in the process, with only Landa left with the legs to help. He bridged the gap with what seems to be a superhuman ride - but question is, why didn't Aru/Bardet/Uran/Contador get together and push on...why no teamwork from AG2R - just go all out and drag Bardet over the top - and Aru who's been seen to attempt profit from the slightest chance....does nothing, just sits on the others wheels. :confused:

....all very odd. A super lone ride from Mollema who took a well deserved stage Win. Froome retains the yellow jersey.

Cheers.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
16-07-2017, 07:49 PM

- Sky were caught out with a burst of pace along the gorge at the foot of the Peyra Taillade....then Froome suffers what was thought was a puncutre, but was actuallya broken spoke - loses around 45s to his main GC rivals and has to battle his way back to them....burning up teamates Hineo and Nieve in the process, with only Landa left with the legs to help. He bridged the gap with what seems to be a superhuman ride - but question is, why didn't Aru/Bardet/Uran/Contador get together and push on...why no teamwork from AG2R - just go all out and drag Bardet over the top - and Aru who's been seen to attempt profit from the slightest chance....does nothing, just sits on the others wheels. :confused:

....all very odd. A super lone ride from Mollema who took a well deserved stage Win. Froome retains the yellow jersey.

Cheers.

;D

It all sounds like pure BOLLOX to me!

Altobelli
16-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Not looked at this thread until now as that's what I thought when I first saw it appear http://i65.tinypic.com/xb03mu.jpg

sinkov
16-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Cheers.

;D

As Froome closed on the Bardet group, David Millar was confidently predicting that AG2R were letting Froome burn himself up getting back to them, and as soon as he was on the back they'd accelerate off into the sunset and leave him for dead. It never happened, Froome and Landa marked every move they made. My thinking...they'd have loved to have ridden away from him, but they'd burnt themselves out trying to distance Froome, and they were just as legless by then as no doubt Froome himself was.

sinkov
16-07-2017, 09:20 PM

It's quite a complex sport BT, some of us have been following it for years and it takes a long while to get to grips with the many and varied team tactics involved. Anyone new to the game will find it baffling, but don't worry, you're not on your own. Persevere though, and in about 5/6 years you'll maybe come to understand what's going on, and even enjoy this game of chess on wheels.;D

sinkov
16-07-2017, 10:30 PM

Boardman repeated this on ITV during today's stage, he said Astana hadn't reccied the stage and were blissfully unaware of the nature of the finish. He said 10k out Aru had a couple of team mates with him and could easily have got up to the front and followed Froome's wheel, but instead drifted back, 5k out he realised gaps were appearing, but by then the sprinter's teams were pushing on up front and the pace was too fast for him to get back on. In his opinion Aru and Astana simply handed the jersey and the race on a plate to Froome yesterday.

Norder
17-07-2017, 12:34 AM

...thats right Sinkov - Aru had teamates around him - at least thats what Valgren said after the race, said he tried to take him to the front but Aru didn't stick to his wheel, said he knew the run in and how hard and crazy it was with the big downhill...said he didn't knwo what happened to Fabio, that "we were 3 guys there in the end, but it was hard to keep in front".
I looked at the race results - Aru was 25s down - then Zeits 1min 14s and Valgren 2mins 18s....so with those time differences, what three guys in the end is he talking about ?
one possibility...Aru was relying on his AG2R teamates to get him through safe...but by the time he realised they didn't have the legs - it was too late, he should have gone on alone, stuck to Uran/Bardet etc...that or he didn't have the legs himself ???
As for Froome - can still make no sense of it....all that power up the road with 45/50s gap, and they let him crawl it back, I know he's a Master at that game, but they didn't look to even hardly lift the pace to me, that's all they needed do - lift it a little, use your teamates and work together, over the top and down to the finish...over the line and watch the clock tick away waiting for Froome. But truthis, they probably were too busy arguing it out until eventually they gave up bothering

Cheers.

BT.....No Bollox Here !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/The_Infidel/bicyclerace.png

;D

Norder
17-07-2017, 01:23 AM

Have just been looking to find some figures - gains or losses for Aru on the stage 14 run in - no joy, as is usual, there's little Detail to be found, only Aru saying he was too far behind (loss), made a huge effort to get back up there (gain) - and he paid for it. Why he was too far behind is the unanswered question - but he fought back, had the legs for it, and gave it everything. The only seeming weakness was in the mistake....which again "could" come down to teamwork.

As Colner - a rest day..........then flat....then on to the Mountains. >:)

oldcolner
17-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Norder
Illuminating stuff. I thought if the yellow went down there was a convention not to benefit from it, does that only apply to crashes and not breakdowns?

sinkov
17-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Just on Froome getting back on, maybe up front they were depending on AG2R to distance Froome, none of the top riders would be wanting to put themselves into the red to do it, especially as this meant they'd be giving Landa a free ride. So it was down to the AG2R domestiques, and with due respect to these guys, hard as they might try, they're not going to be going up that climb faster than Nieve/Froome, especially with the jersey and potentially the race at stake.

It was Landa being up there that allowed Froome back on, IMO.

Norder
17-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Norder
Illuminating stuff. I thought if the yellow went down there was a convention not to benefit from it, does that only apply to crashes and not breakdowns?

I think perhaps it was because of the Sky confusion "before" the mechanical...they were split and Froome was mostly isolated so waiting would have lost them their worked for advantage - also with Landa of Sky in the mix...and pushing on, and being he would have received radio instruction, if they did think anything...could have been, well if he isn't making any noise, we'll continue.
I still think it odd why AG2R doms didn't push on harder, burn out for Bardet...it's what they're there for...and Landa only dropped when Froome was near on them, Sky weren't going to risk him losing out as well....but I still would have expected Aru or Uran to make a move.
Maybe there was the idea that they'd keep a strong pace going, but only somewhere near level with their earlier "fair" advantage...just wouldn't go all out and break into a concerted attack...lose some honour etc.
Anyway -has kept it close for the coming stages....but they'll need time on Froome before the TT....maybe they're kicking themselves now.

Cheers.

;D

sinkov
17-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Don't you think you're being a bit hard on AG2R Norder ? I watched the stage and they seemed to be pushing on as best they could to me. Froome said they were riding hard and Bardet had no complaints about their efforts. Those guys had been working for Bardet all day, they were on a Cat1 and they're not specialist climbers, they're basically bottle-carriers. They were never going to ride away from Froome and Nieve on that climb, it just couldn't happen. Maybe Aru, Uran and Bardet could have gone for it, but Landa would have been sat on their back wheels grinning at them, so that wasn't really an option either. So Froome got out of jail, lucky boy.

Norder
17-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Don't you think you're being a bit hard on AG2R Norder ? I watched the stage and they seemed to be pushing on as best they could to me. Froome said they were riding hard and Bardet had no complaints about their efforts. Those guys had been working for Bardet all day, they were on a Cat1 and they're not specialist climbers, they're basically bottle-carriers. They were never going to ride away from Froome and Nieve on that climb, it just couldn't happen. Maybe Aru, Uran and Bardet could have gone for it, but Landa would have been sat on their back wheels grinning at them, so that wasn't really an option either. So Froome got out of jail, lucky boy.

I dont know their numbers/wattage Sinkov....but I can't believe they were "all" pushing into the red if Froome can drag them back from being 40s or so behind....especially with Nieve who had to go so deep, the man he really needed was Kwiatkowski, losing him when he had to donate his wheel, looked bad....but Froome bridged the gap regardless - and Bardet still had 3 of his AG2R teamates with him.....so why not go full gas then - burn them out, Vuillermoz looked solid and there was still the strong Bakelants up ahead to help take Bardet to the finish, they would have had help....Uran/Aru/Martin etc and even better...would have put Landa and Team Sky on the spot, pressure time....as what would they do, abandon Froome and let Landa go or have Landa wait for Froome.
But they did nothing....but anyway, it's all in the head now Sinkov....can play around freely with what happened - without changing it.

Cheers

;D

Norder
18-07-2017, 12:59 AM

Stage 16.

Le Puy - Romans-sur-Isere....165km.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2017/07/16/TdF-2017-stage-16-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqi7sNMkzXUN2B07io0iWZXrTvQ bkYedbGML1c_nYetas.jpg

....from the mostly undulating hills of the Massive Central - to the 55km of flat rolling roads in the Rhone Valley.

;D

sinkov
18-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Sorry to bang about the previous stage again, but it's such an intriguing story I've re-run that climb again and decided I've been incredibly unfair on Froome saying he was a lucky boy. AG2R were pushing on to such an extent at the foot of the climb that a 40 second gap had extended out to 50 seconds, then Froome got on Nieve's wheel and started reeling them in. AG2R were still setting such a strong pace that Contador and Quintana were dropped, Quintana tried to hang onto Froome's wheel as he passed but gave up in seconds. The AG2R domestiques were putting themselves into the red and being shelled out one after the other, when Froome got back on Bardet was up front now with just Vuillermox left for company. Less than a minute after Froome was back on, Bardet and Uran attacked off the front and opened up a gap, Froome was soon back on their wheels though and that was that.

So what had been suggested didn't happen, that AG2R didn't try to bury Froome, and that none of the top riders attacked after Froome got back on, actually did happen, or at least Bardet and Uran attacked. None of it was enough though, that was an absolutely awesome ride by Froome. He said afterwards that he was just now finding his legs and expected to get better. You can never trust what they say, they know the other riders are listening, so he would say that wouldn't he, but if he is telling it how it is, then this race is over. Which makes my suggestion a few days back that he might be finished seem ridiculous.

We'll see.

Norder
18-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Matthews (sunweb) Wins stage 16....his second on this years tour, taking another 50points and bringing him to within 29 points of Kittel and the Green Jersey.
No change at the top of the General Classification but Dan Martin of the depleted Quick-Step Floors lost 51s and slipped to seventh place - boxed in and distanced...he was unable to close the gap when crosswinds caused a split in the peleton.

Stage 17....La Mure - Serre Chevalier....183km

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2017/07/18/TdF-2017-stage-17-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq1vqtPs6PnIn9mwo0w2jayKQxU RcyXvtMVFaLSwwy8iM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4JG7KzPT3k

....the games afoot - Enjoy.

;D

sinkov
19-07-2017, 07:48 AM
You have to credit Sky for causing that split and getting rid of one Froome's big rivals. It was all proceeding nicely until Sky went off the front, upped the pace, stretched out the peleton, and let the crosswind do it's worst. There's no doubt it was done deliberately at that point with a view to isolating one or more of the top men, and it was the unfortunate Dan Martin they snared. Just shows how right the riders were to be worried about this stage, on a flat finish Martin lost almost a minute in the last 10k, you wouldn't expect him to lose that much on Cat 1.

oldcolner
19-07-2017, 10:53 AM
What's the tactics today. Is this one for the climbers or the sprinters? It looks tough, but then looks all down hill at the end.

sinkov
19-07-2017, 11:42 AM
What's the tactics today. Is this one for the climbers or the sprinters? It looks tough, but then looks all down hill at the end.

With The Telegraphe and Galibier to get over OC, I can't see any sprinters being around when they get on that downhill.

oldcolner
19-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Well done Froome coming third and now 27 seconds ahead whilst Uran and romain takes over from Aru in joint second. Seemed tactically sound to me a non expert.

Simon Yates still in lead for white jersey, but with a smaller 2 mins 28 sec lead over Meintjes who beat him by 1.30 today

Team Sky 10 mins ahead of AGR 2 in team race.

Kittel crashes out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40656045

Norder
19-07-2017, 06:24 PM

...a stage with high expectations - but bar Aru losing time. Kittels retirement - and a fine solo from Roglic - was just business as usual, Sky train were allowed to control the pace....and other than a few turns of speed from Bardet - was mostly a damp squib.
I really thought that when Contador took off we'd see Uran/Bardet or Aru go with him, make a race of it....but nothing, Just let Sky pull them along....even when they burnt, Froome only needed to continue sucking wheels, as not even the Galibier forced a move of any great quality.....GC contenders too worried about losing a podium place seemingly.
Tomorrow on the Izoard could be much of the same - fizzle....there will be attacks - but they'll need to be super special if they're gonna make up enough time to seriously threaten Froome before the TT.
Would like to see Landa make a go of it - get his feet on the podium - he deserves it.

Cheers.

sinkov
19-07-2017, 09:49 PM
You're a hard man to please Norder, I've a lot more sympathy for those taking Sky on, here's my take on it. Sky did dominate, but not because they were 'allowed' to, but because they're the strongest team, and when they decide to set a pace, there's not a lot any of the other teams can do about it, even if they wanted to. First game of the season we're away to Chelsea, I guarantee you that Chelsea will dominate that game, and not because we'll let them dominate, but because they're a far stronger team than us and we won't be able to stop them dominating, same with Sky.

Contador, with nothing to lose, was off up the road on the first climb on a suicide mission, almost certainly doomed to fail, imo it would have been insanity for any of Aru, Bardet or Uran to go with him with the Telegraphe and Galibier looming in the far distance. And it ended as suicide missions tend to do, with the demise of the attacker.

I think you're being a bit unfair criticising riders for protecting their podium place, not many get the priviledge and honour of stepping onto that podium at the end of the TdF and it's surely something worth fighting for and protecting. And to be fair, they're also up against one of the all time Tour greats, the best climber in the peleton, the best TT rider in the peleton, with by some distance the strongest team. They can dream, they can try, but deep down they know by this point in the race that only an accident can realistically beat Froome, and that podium place is the best they can hope for.

I'm not trying to be contentious Norder, you see it differently which is fair enough, even though I may disagree, I enjoy reading how you see the day's racing.

Norder
20-07-2017, 12:08 AM

No problem Sinkov....fully respect your take on it also....and whether we agree or disagree - doesn't matter as long as it stays part of the enjoyment.

...it's possible Chelsea will dominate the game - though that alone doesn't necessarily mean that we dont have players on the pitch - that as individuals - wont perform equally or better than their opposites.

Contador attacked on the Croix de fer with about 60km to the finish.....chased and caught the front group who were 6mins ahead - Roglic attacked and el pistolero went again....was dropped - and then caught by the yellow jersey group at the top of the Galibier - he nearly made it over, if he hadn't seen such a strong Roglic disappearing into the distance, then who knows....perhaps he would have made it all the way....but eventually finishing with Martin/Aru and Meintjes - he was still only 31 seconds behind Froome/Bardet/Uran.... .
That was a true TDF ride of pure guts and experience....and one that shows how to blow away the likes of a Sky Machine....if only the others would've follow suit.....would have been a classic, but like many things these days, all too sterile....and rips the life from it.

Cheers.

Stage 18 - Briancon - Izoard....179.5km.

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/styles/article_main_custom_user_desktop_1x/public/tdf17_profil18.png?itok=XPTXsMkP&timestamp=1498449650

the last chance saloon...with a Summit Finish !!!

;D

sinkov
20-07-2017, 12:31 AM
I can agree with you on this Norder, if Aru, Bardet and Uran had gone with Contador, it certainly would have been a spectacular day's racing and a lot more fun. I can't believe any of them ever gave it a moment's thought though, like pro footballers these days, I don't think they see their job as entertaining the public. And maybe they have some justification, the public don't pay to watch them, so it's their sponsors they have to keep onside, not Joe Public.

sinkov
20-07-2017, 12:44 AM
I don't think Contador attacking 60k out is right Norder, if it had been then I could have agreed that the others should have gone with him. It was quite early on the climb that he went, 123k out according to Cycling News, with two HCs and a Cat1 in front of him. He gave it a good go, I said it was suicidal, if not that it was certainly incredibly ambitious.

Norder
20-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Contador attacked on the Croix de fer with about 60km to the finish.....

I don't think Contador attacking 60k out is right Norder.....It was quite early on the climb that he went, 123k out according to Cycling News

also just checked Sinkov....re-wound the highlights, which showed - he went at "125km into the race" - race total distance 183km - therefore he had 58km to ride to the finish.

also agree....regarding the Sponsors and management and control freak team orders that are running the show.

Graeme Obree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

Cheers.

;D

sinkov
20-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Cycling News Stage Report,

13.47 Quintana and Contador jumped together from the front of the field, and they are getting away.
13.49 123km remaining from 183km, Contador and Quintana at 4.58. There is 123km to go.
13.51 Quintana can't stay with Contador....the Colombian comes back.
13.54 Quintana can't do it...Contador takes off alone.
14.18 113km remaining from from 183km.

And at 17.27, almost four hours later, Contador rolled over the finish line. So when he took off he had over 120km, two HCs, a Cat One and 3 hours 40 minutes riding in front of him. I don't think suicide mission is an unfair description.

If you check the stage profile you so kindly put up for us each day Norder you can see it clearly, he was about 60km into the race when he made his move, not 60km from the finish.

oldcolner
20-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Unsure about Obree, but certainly inventive and creative always challenging authority and struggling to know who he is.
You can see his bikes in the Glasgow Riverside Transport Museum.
Did be ever try the TdF?

Norder
20-07-2017, 02:41 PM
And at 17.27, almost four hours later, Contador rolled over the finish line. So when he took off he had over 120km, two HCs, a Cat One and 3 hours 40 minutes riding in front of him. I don't think suicide mission is an unfair description.
If you check the stage profile you so kindly put up for us each day Norder you can see it clearly, he was about 60km into the race when he made his move, not 60km from the finish.

Correction & apologies....the YJ Contador attack was when you say Sinkov....and it appears - my mistake was confusing his attack and on the leading group on the Telegraphe....but I still can't agree that his break from the Froome group was suicidal, he's better than that - and especially not in the 3rd week of the Tour when riders and teams are so greatly weakened... .

I saw a quote from Uran before todays race....they asked if he would try and break clear from Sky and the yellow Jersey....his answer was - "ask Bardet" - he's certainly no Contador.... .

Recent quote fron David Millar.

"Contador is one of the most incredible bike racers; he is the greatest stage racer of my generation. If I’d have been in a position where I was actually racing against him – mano a mano – he would have been the only guy I would have been scared of if I was leading the race and he was second with two days to go. You just know he's never happy with second. There’s that crazy statistic that he’s won seven grand tours and not finished lower down on the podium in a single one. Second means nothing to him.

Cheers and thanks.

Unsure about Obree, but certainly inventive and creative always challenging authority and struggling to know who he is.
You can see his bikes in the Glasgow Riverside Transport Museum.
Did be ever try the TdF?

....not TDF colner....individual pursuit and time trial.

if I get that way...will certainly take a look. Thanks.

was a little to contrary from the usual for the powers that be....dont upset the apple cart. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDQH3FeG7Y

Cheers.

;D

24km to go of todays 179km stage ....and nothing to report.

Izoard is looming.

sinkov
20-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Well they gave it a go......eventually. AG2R's domestiques rode themselves into the ground again, Contador attacked, Martin attacked, Bardet attacked, Froome attacked, Landa attacked, I'm sure Aru wanted to but couldn't, only Rigo sat there until forced to chase Froome down, and after all that not much changed. Barring a couple punctures or falling off in the TT, Froome wins the race again,

Norder
20-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Stage 18 - Warren Barguil (Sunweb) is first over the line for the Stage Victory...and with it secures the Polka Dot Jersey in the King of the Mountains classification. Darwin Atapooma took second position from Roman Bardet in third....Froome 4th with Uran next - Dan Martin took 8th position and is in 6th place in the GC...with Simon Yates retaining the White Jersey of the young rider classification.

....Bardet battled hard with Rigoberto and came in an astounding 3mins33s ahead of Froome - after a stunning attack that began on the descent of the col de vers - just wait a minute....thats not what happened.

There were no long range attacks, and only a few piddly little attempts at breaking Froome by Bardet on the Izoard....they came to nothing. Uran wheel sucked....and did nothing. Aru was somewhere on the mountain, perhaps he got lost....I dont know....but Bardet did at least take a few bonus seconds on the line to bring him back to second position in front of his arch nemesis and main tour rival - Uran.

https://alexhughescartoons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2002-11-08-Damp-Squib.jpg

Norder
21-07-2017, 12:03 AM

Stage 19 - Embrun – Salon-de-Provence....222.5km

....unless a breakaway has a go and makes it stick - this is one for the sprinters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2017/07/20/TdF-2017-stage-19-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqwHJAmshQXKPzq5HJVkRjztbup 7kVlAb7LXWMy8WkKbM.jpg

and apart from Dan Martin - GC riders will continue to twiddle their thumbs...perhaps even phone mum and shave their legs.

;D

oldcolner
21-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Sky should control this I guess

sinkov
21-07-2017, 07:46 AM

and apart from Dan Martin - GC riders will continue to twiddle their thumbs...perhaps even phone mum and shave their legs.

;D

You should try actually watching the race on one of these mountain stages Norder, all of the race I mean, not just the highlights. Then you'd realise that comments like that are, with respect, a tad silly.

sinkov
21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
There's nothing in today's stage for the GC guys, I would imagine they'd be delighted to see a breakaway go up the road, and happy to leave them to it.

Norder
21-07-2017, 02:56 PM
You should try actually watching the race on one of these mountain stages Norder, all of the race I mean, not just the highlights. Then you'd realise that comments like that are, with respect, a tad silly.

Stage 19 - Embrun – Salon-de-Provence....222.5km

....unless a breakaway has a go and makes it stick - this is one for the sprinters.
;D

I guess you didn't see that comment.....or get the irony of the other.

There's nothing in today's stage for the GC guys, I would imagine they'd be delighted to see a breakaway go up the road, and happy to leave them to it.

....thats ok Sinkov - but can't just sit on my ass everyday watching "every" stage of the Tour - I do have other more important things that take up my time - and anyway...as far as This TDF goes - suffering extreme boredom for any long period - would be well down the list...somewhere near the gates of hell.

I look forward to the La Vuelta.....to save the day.

You disagree with my opinion - and have seemingly enjoyed the Tour....that's great - am pleased for you - truly and sincerely am....and have no intention nor do I care enough to attempt to change how you see it...that would be silly of me.

No - todays run out is certainly not a Mountain stage Sinkov..... .

Also.........though there's unlikely to be any GC changes at the end of the day.....it's not over till it's over.

Be well....and enjoy the final few days of the TDF.

Cheers and thanks - been most interesting .

:D

sinkov
21-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I hardly saw any of the first week Norde, but due to the weather not allowing me to get on with some outside jobs, I've had the time to watch most of this week's stages, apologies if my post seemed a bit out of order, but after watching the effort these guys put in fot hour after hour, I just felt it unfair to insuate they were either too bone idle to attack, or just didn't care enough to bother.

We both know that's not the case, Sky are simply too strong and have a stranglehold on the race. It doesn't make for compulsive viewing for the most part but it is what it is, and I've enjoyed watching the stages unfold. And despite disagreeing sometimes, as I said before, I've enjoyed your contribution to this thread as well.

Norder
21-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Sky are simply too strong and have a stranglehold on the race. It doesn't make for compulsive viewing for the most part but it is what it is.....

All's well Sinkov :)

Certainly agreed on the Sky train stranglehold.....and also think that the quality of the competition and course design compounded the suffering.

Cheers ;D

Stage 19 was taken by Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data)....from the break and with 2.9km to go, Boasson Hagen and Arndt gained advantage by following the shortest route around a roundabout....no bunch sprints and no photo finish - BH seized the chance an attacked....expanding his lead and cutting a lone figure as he crossed the finish line.

Stage 20 - Marseille, individual time trial, 22.5km.

Short distance for an end tour TT....so margins wont be massive - as long as Froome doesn't fall off that is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2017/07/21/TdF-2017-stage-20-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BquqdpviHRGj2e6oSN7pt0JLXGj jr1k5H1lsBfAGPrEJM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=985vcBIipVQ

;D

sinkov
21-07-2017, 11:41 PM
The TT would appear to be a formality for Froome, yet when he attacked on the Izoard and opened up a sizeable gap quite quickly, Uran closed it down just as quickly, bringing Bardet with him. I don't think Froome expected that, just maybe he'll have a problem with Uran yet, it ain't over till it's over.

oldcolner
22-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Well done Froome though it's a pity he didn't manage to win a stage.
Well done Simon Yates too
Tomorrow it's Champers on the Champs Elysee

Norder
22-07-2017, 10:52 PM

Maciej Bodnar (Bora-Hansgrohe) - takes the stage - with Kwiatkowski running a close second, and only by a second - Froome took third, was booed for his trouble - but has the Tour...where Uran has the 2nd podium place and after a painfully disastrous time trial...it's Bardet for the third spot but only by 1 second....from Mikel Landa in fourth.

A super ride from Contador - only 21s off Bodnar and fastest in the middle (climb) section by 8 seconds !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFWXXQbXYAMyBGa.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/velofacts/status/888783102604185600

Well done Froome though it's a pity he didn't manage to win a stage.
Well done Simon Yates too
Tomorrow it's Champers on the Champs Elysee

....I think Colner.... because Bardet was let off that 20s time penalty on stage 12....no Sky drinking champers en route...they should make Bardet sweat for it - take Landa to the finish - and snatch those few needed seconds. >:)

sinkov
23-07-2017, 08:51 AM

....I think Colner.... because Bardet was let off that 20s time penalty on stage 12....no Sky drinking champers en route...they should make Bardet sweat for it - take Landa to the finish - and snatch those few needed seconds. >:)

I don't think for one minute it would work, AG2R would easily close down any gap between Bardet and Landa, but I'd like to see Sky give it a go and race today. It would go against tradition, they would be accused of disrespect, but the race jury showed no respect for the rules or the other riders when they failed to penalise Bardet, and the French public have shown no respect for Froome or Sky, so feck em, piss on their parade, and make a race of it.

Sadly it won't happen.