PDA

View Full Version : Feeling strangely positive

picasso
10-07-2017, 07:03 AM
When it comes to Villa I'm normally a glass half empty man and usually for good reason. However, I'm feeling quite positive about this coming season despite the fact that much of the team is the same as finished mid table last season. We seem to have better players than most of our rivals, JT should inspire a bit of confidence and Bruce has done it before. The only fly in the ointment would be the purchase of Crouch. Not because he's a bad player but merely a statement of intent on how we would play.

freer
10-07-2017, 10:18 AM
The real impetus for a successful promotion campaign must come from Steve Bruce !

Last term Bruce set us out not to loose & consequently we witnessed an exceedingly timid Villa side

We need creativity, initiative, & to be positive, display some genuine desire & aggression (granted this doesn't guarantee maximum points each game) but for Christ's sake lets go down fighting

Villa paid top dollar for three strikers last season, only Kodjia gets amongst the goals. We need a pair of goalscorers, either Scott Hogan or Ross McCormack (if he sticks around) to finally come good- Peter Crouch isn't the solution, Davies is far more aggressive & would noise up far more defenders

Its make or break for Jack Grealish, cameo performances ain't enough- Jack must become a big influence this season, failure could result with him heading for the revolving door

We can win promotion the question is..... Can Bruce do it?

If we haven't made a sustained improvement by November, Tony Xia’s patience will have been maxed out & some serious questions will asked by “The Boss”

Lastly

Is it coincidental Villa never progress, with the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor, Leandro Bacuna, and Alan Hutton around , I have heard enough excuses why we should keep playing/reintroduce them, what evidence is there to support their involvement, the end result is always the same.

Right soap box away http://www.picgifs.com/animal-graphics/animal-graphics/lions/animal-graphics-lions-551527.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/animal-graphics/) “Come on you Lions”

TrianonDave
10-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Totally agree with all said but we are football fans typically we are all optimistic at the start of every season this is what makes this game so beautiful. Did Leicester think that they would win the league and play in the CL? no, did Huddersfield fans actually think they would get promoted? no. Did the man utd fans think the special one would win the league last season Yes but they did not!

What we can say is the all the big money men like Citeh, Chelski and Arsenal will be near the top....Boring! but in the Championship, who knows, the teams who get off to a flyer, tend to stay there, we all thought Huddersfield would fall away but they didn't, we drew and lost too many early games and could recover!

A settled team with the players believing in themselves and a couple more additions and I honestly think, yes we will have a very good season, I don't know why but I smell Wembley.

I just wish the likes of Richards, Siissoko, Gil, Vertout and a couple more would go!

freer
10-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Good points T D

I remain staggeringly optimistic until http://www.picgifs.com/mini-graphics/mini-graphics/smileys/mini-graphics-smileys-166108.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/mini-graphics/) Zero Hour

See Link *

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170805T1730&p0=297&msg=Aston+Villa+V+Bristol+City&font=cursive

bongosdad
10-07-2017, 11:39 AM
I think Dr X has squashed the Crouch roumor on Twitter so it's probably not happening. It wouldn't matter if it's true either, we need a team to get us out of the division and another one to stay up.
My only concern is the poor way we ended the season. I'm optimistic though.

picasso
16-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Bugger. Optimism gone.

TrianonDave
16-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Bugger. Optimism gone.

DARE I say it, its not the players its the manager and his assistant that need to look at themselves quickly and sort out a settled team with attacking tactics.
Just what was the point in that game yesterday? Bringing on 8 players in the 65th minute completely destroyed any understanding the players were getting. What was the point in playing players who are set to leave?
Vertout, Richards Amavi?
What was the point in playing Tshibola up front? what was the point in playing Hutton at CH?
Yes I know Bruce wants to look at all his squad but Please, Did we have a Manager on the touch line?
We need a settled team, we need to gel we need to be attacking for 90 minutes, whats the point in 'Tippy Tappy' football only to consistently pass backwards, what the hell is wrong with going forward? How many time did Amavi go a mazy run only stop check and pass the ball back 50 yards just for the defender to wack it up in the air, wasn't even aimed at one of our players!!

Yes it was a friendly but come on, do the experiments in training and play the strongest team before the season starts, we cannot be pi55ing around with formations and tactics once the season starts or we will mirror exactly what we achieved last season!
Optimism gone, no but on that display yesterday dented

bongosdad
16-07-2017, 09:33 AM
He's probably putting a few players in the shop window.

TrianonDave
16-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Well on that display Bongo, we are stuck with them! Non one will want any of our players.
Maybe we will have to go into the season with a big squad of disgruntled players, to save a bad dressing room I would cut my losses and have a garage sale. Just get rid!

freer
16-07-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm with T D we played a strong team yet lost to Shrewsbury & were total poop you wouldn't think Villa could be that confused

Mark my words. on that display I cant see Steve Bruce lasting beyond 2nd week in October

bongosdad
16-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Calm down freer

freer
16-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Calm down freer

Just stating the facts Bongo, -we were painful to watch last term & unless there's one hell of a transformation in Bruce's footballing philosophy (between now & 5th August) I anticipate a tidal bore of a campaign this time round

Using your comprehensive knowledge of the beautiful game

Can you name any side Steve Bruce managed that played attractive offensive football ?

No http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thinking/smileys-thinking-610136.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)me neither

bongosdad
16-07-2017, 05:23 PM
I don't think it will be pretty either freer but with a back 4 of Chester Terry Taylor and Bree/Hutton were not going to concede many goals at the back. I expect many 1-0 or 2-0 wins next season.
If Bruse starts off like RDM did last season he will be sacked. The Dr is ruthless but if we're near the top of the league he will keep his job I'm sure.

yubbywelch
16-07-2017, 10:27 PM
just a friendly, not concerned

westcountryvillain
17-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Did we create chances in the game? If not then that is cause for concern, if yes then Brucie needs to find another striker, if/when JK is injured we have nothing as proven last January.

bongosdad
17-07-2017, 05:49 PM
From what I could see the problem was in the midfield Westcountry. Without the Jedi, Lansbury and Houriane hardly got past the half way line and left the forwards chasing shadows.
It looks very disjointed in midfield and we desperately need Barry back or a fit Jedi.
Lansbury and Houraine need to get forward where they can do damage. It's what we brought them for.

westcountryvillain
18-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Bloody hell - I'm worried already, can't rely on Jedi for 46 games plus his international commitments at his age. GB would do a job but again not up to a full season in a very physical league.

westcountryvillain
18-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Just caught the last few mins of the 0-0 tonight at Walsall, plenty of chances in the first half and the players looked sharp enough. Lack of goals though................:O

TrianonDave
18-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Watched the whole game with my lad, both said the same thing. Midfield is all over the place, what was the formation again? Amavi left mid then right wing then left wing then right back!!
Should have started with RMc and hogan up front with green on the right. This midfield is looking very week and without the Jedi we could be in trouble were just too light weight! Bjuornsen playing up with gabby? WTF.
Positives.
Bree
Terry
And now I'm struggling!

Please Bruce, decide your formation, you are nearly there then add some forward tactics, all you have to do then is pick tge best player thst suits thst formation! It's not exactly rocket sciance is it.
Severely dented tonight.😯

stateside
19-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Lansbury at defensive midfield? I'm sure he wouldn't have signed for us knowing he was going to be stuck there.

TD. That Hayes had a few good touches. Tshibola almost didn't put a foot wrong in the 30 seconds he played. There you go TD.

I am underwhelmed by Bruce. This side will probably end up 10th again and he will be fired. Even if we do go up? What then? These players will be pointless in the top flight and will need to be replaced.

TrianonDave
20-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Well 3 signings this week, team when fit taking shape...

.........................................Johnstone .................

..................Chester...............Samba..... .......Terry

Elmo.............................................. .......................Taylor

..................Landsbury....................... Whelen.....................

Greene............................................ .................................

............................Hogan..............Kod ija...........................

Looking good as a 3 at the back, go 442 and you could swap Jedi for Samba?? now that's more balanced!!

stateside
21-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Samba played well from what I saw vs Walsall. But, I doubt he will be a season fixture. I think this signing means that Veretout and Elphick are probably done deals.

ozfan
22-07-2017, 03:08 AM
Like.

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Like.

Can't help feeling a bit sorry for Ross MacCormack! yes he crosses the line with SB but when he shows patience with Gabby and Grealish he obviously has no empathy with him!

It really does baffle me that he has been left behind from the tour in Germany, a real snub, a real message that says ...GO.
Bruce persists with Gabby yet RM (when playing) has proven to score more goals that Gabby has done in his career every season!
Bruce also brings with him Young Davis who quite frankly is not ready and needs to go out on loan!

This Bombing out is not healthy and I'm just hoping he has been left behind to work on his fitness or is indeed injured, it would be nice for Bruce to let us know.
We are going to start the season with Gabby and Hogan up front who between them score a combined 2 goals last season in a villa shirt, RM doubled that even with his troubles.

I really am getting to dislike SB, I did not think he would be so pig headed not to try out Tshibola, keep faith with Elphick.
he is keeping hold of a player who is doing everything to get out of VP in Amavi yet, he has not got a clue where to play him. He agreed a 5 year contract with Savilla, surely he should have stayed behind? and as for taking Micah Richards the Lard arse, sorry Steve but you are sending out the wrong messages!
I hope it all works for Bruce but I really sense another mediocre season and the annual sacking beckons.

Is anyone else feeling slightly deflated with this preseason? the change of heart is based on this 'Bombing out' and just reminds me of Lamberts ways!!

Hogan and Gabby up front must strike fear into every championship team......Not!

picasso
23-07-2017, 08:45 AM
We can only assume there are things going on behind the scenes with regard to transfers out for those players that have not gone on tour. If it's a fitness thing with MacCormack (and judging from some of the photos in the pre season games it could well be) it would be nice to know.

I personally think that the success of this season will be determined by the form of Landsbury, Hourihane, Green and Grealish and their ability to turn attack into goals. It's about time they got a few. The strikers in Kodjia, Hogan and yes, even Gabby will look after themselves.

Our defence is pretty much sorted. They may be short of speed but usually experience trumps pace. Chester is no slouch though and with the protection of Jedi and Whelan (rotating their season through suspensions) they should be fine.

Of course I retain the right to change my mind once again once we concede a few goals in the next week or two!

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 09:10 AM
We can only assume there are things going on behind the scenes with regard to transfers out for those players that have not gone on tour. If it's a fitness thing with MacCormack (and judging from some of the photos in the pre season games it could well be) it would be nice to know.

I personally think that the success of this season will be determined by the form of Landsbury, Hourihane, Green and Grealish and their ability to turn attack into goals. It's about time they got a few. The strikers in Kodjia, Hogan and yes, even Gabby will look after themselves.

Our defence is pretty much sorted. They may be short of speed but usually experience trumps pace. Chester is no slouch though and with the protection of Jedi and Whelan (rotating their season through suspensions) they should be fine.

Of course I retain the right to change my mind once again once we concede a few goals in the next week or two!

Well we have entered some silly 45 minute merry go round friendly today. Lets see just how many chances we create or for that matter goals, with only 45 mins I would expect the players to go hell for leather!!!

ps I cannot wait to wish Ross Mac well in his new club (Sunderland) and I bet he bangs to goals in?????

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Well finally Hogan gets service and scores, nice finish. Elmo adding width and quality final balls. 2 up now (Greene with the other).

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Hogan again, well taken. Only playing against 2nd tier germans. Remind me what tier we are presently? Looking better, here's hoping eh.

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Hogan again, well taken. Only playing against 2nd tier germans. Remind me what tier we are presently? Looking better, here's hoping eh.

If only all our games were of 45 minutes duration!!

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 01:49 PM
It's 45 mins full of positives, apart from Hutton. Young guns did well. "Final" on in a bit, v Hertha Berlin. I'd imagine twill be a completely different X1.
When is Hutton off to Wednesday? He truly is a shocking footballer.

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 02:01 PM
v Berlin: ​Steer (again), bree, richards, samba, amavi, bjarnason, whelan, lansbury, grealish, mckirdy(again), gabby

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 02:02 PM
I don't agree EV. Hutton has been our best players fir most of this year! Hes full on 100% and I've said it before 10 others with his commitment will get you ported. I don't know why people jump on him so much.
Let's see what gabby can do in the final

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Promoted that is!!!!

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 02:16 PM
I don't agree EV. Hutton has been our best players fir most of this year! Hes full on 100% and I've said it before 10 others with his commitment will get you ported. I don't know why people jump on him so much.
Let's see what gabby can do in the final

Agree to disagree dave. Constantly out of position, never an end product to his head up his arse rampages forward, no such commitment to run back when he loses the ball. 100% effort definitely but 100% sh1te ball control, distribution and game awareness.

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Well we won 2-0, Samba(man's a beast) n Gabby(was try to win a pen but somehow scored). Thought overall we did ok. Bree partnered Samba in the 2nd match with Thor at RB. Surely SB can pick X1 from that lot to win promotion. Whelan likes a tackle and accurate simple passing. Samba, blimey, bloke's a monster and pretty decent. JT had an armchair ride and Elmo looked very decent. Jack's been in the gym and Gabby is just a bulldozer. O'Hare, McKirdy, Greene et al did ok, though Davis looks a rough diamond/work in progress.
Think we'll do ok this season as opposed to hoping we will.

It aint gonna be pretty folks but neither has the last decade. I just want us to win, don't care how really, after having my heart sucked of life these past years.

Onwards n Upwards

stateside
23-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Hutton has to go with my best wishes. I wish we could keep him but his wages are too high. Richards is on a higher wage but is not marketable. Unfortunately Hutton for all his work rate has no end product. His crosses seem to leave forwards bewildered as to where they'll end up. His defending leaves a lot to be desired.

It seems Baker will be leaving as well now.

I will be optimistic if Bruce can offset his over 28's with some under 20's.

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Hutton has to go with my best wishes. I wish we could keep him but his wages are too high. Richards is on a higher wage but is not marketable. Unfortunately Hutton for all his work rate has no end product. His crosses seem to leave forwards bewildered as to where they'll end up. His defending leaves a lot to be desired.

It seems Baker will be leaving as well now.

I will be optimistic if Bruce can offset his over 28's with some under 20's.

I would prefer Hutton and Baker to stay over Richards any day, How many games now has Richards broken down after 10 minutes of football, what does that tell you? he is tooooo fat!!

Sheff wed fans think their getting a great deal!!

stateside
23-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I think everyone at the club agrees with you TD. The harsh reality would be that nobody is approaching Villa for Richards and they are for Hutton.

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Guess we need the money!!

westcountryvillain
23-07-2017, 07:10 PM
The situation with Hutton is a little bit like Ian Taylor, loads of heart and running, loved by the fans (although Hutton's not a fan) but flawed. With Hutton it's no end product and with Tayls it was loads of yellow cards due to mistimed tackles.

Tin hat on now :O

Exiledvillan
23-07-2017, 07:27 PM
The situation with Hutton is a little bit like Ian Taylor, loads of heart and running, loved by the fans (although Hutton's not a fan) but flawed. With Hutton it's no end product and with Tayls it was loads of yellow cards due to mistimed tackles.

Tin hat on now :O

Ooooooooooh mate, you'd better wear a box n all :O . Tayls was so much more that Hutton could ever dream of being. Don't get me wrong, I like Hutton, I love his heart, his commitment, his fight, but he's really sh1te at football. Tayls was actually a half decent footballer, a Villan, ex Holte Ender, he lived our dream by scoring for us at Wembley in a winning final.
I used to live in Newcastle Staffs, and went out with a bank manager who handled his account when he was at Port Vale. All he would ever talk about when he was in there was the Villa (she was a vale fan). Used to piss her off cos all he ever wanted to do was work his way to Villa and never had any dreams of improving the vale. Might explain why, when he eventually 'came home' that he made the most of it. He was/is a Villa legend.
Now go sit in the corner, you naughty blasphemer. :D .

TrianonDave
23-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Must admit cannot liken Hutton with Taylor. Have stood many times in the away end with tails and his love for the club is deep!
Hutton is just a 100% tryer and I love that. It's an old cliché that fans will forgive any player as long as he tries! No one can knock Hutton for that.
How spurs paid 9 million for him is laughable but when the going gets tough you need players to get going and he does!

westcountryvillain
24-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Oh alright then!

Give Hutton his dues though, bombed out of the squad, showed a fantastic attitude and the fans have taken him to their hearts. Tayls love for the club is the same as the rest of us, a Hol****der through & through. I think Hutton loves the club too the same way the likes of Merse & McInally do, these types of player that relate to the fans are a dying breed IMO.

Tayls wins - tin hat back in the drawer.

stateside
24-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Agreed WCV. Hutton made up for whatever he lacked with pure heart. Unfortunately almost every player put up better defensive stats when playing right back than he did (per game) conceding that they all played far fewer games so their percentages may have dropped.

Also his single assist is not going to fire up Brucey when he knows what ElMo can do.

samhubball
25-07-2017, 11:11 AM
I don't want to add to the Hutton bashing but he was also the main reason why Albrighton was never offered another contract. Marc was a far superior player before Alan joined the team then McLeish dropped Albrighton because he was always having to back track down the field to cover the huge gaps left.

As for heart and passion etc etc, the only person I have ever seen jog or dawdle back after losing possession more was Baros

westcountryvillain
25-07-2017, 09:08 PM
I don't want to add to the Hutton bashing but he was also the main reason why Albrighton was never offered another contract. Marc was a far superior player before Alan joined the team then McLeish dropped Albrighton because he was always having to back track down the field to cover the huge gaps left.

As for heart and passion etc etc, the only person I have ever seen jog or dawdle back after losing possession more was Baros

Interesting points there Sam, I can think of a lot of times last season he busted a gut to get back and put a tackle in. I do agree that going forward he looks lost once he gets to the final third, maybe players don't show for the ball as they know what's coming.

TrianonDave
26-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Leave the Scottish Cafu alone.pick on the Scottish fuCa instead!

See what I did there!!!!!