PDA

View Full Version : Put the Cork back in...

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Looks like Jack might be returning to the fold.

I'm starting to get excited! :D

barrie_burn
10-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Heard this at lunchtime in South Wales today

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 04:21 PM
The story now sounds accurate and word coming into my earpiece is that it is a "goer" but not at £10 million. :?

barrie_burn
10-07-2017, 05:08 PM
£10m was the figure I heard at lunchtime as well.Well over the top I would have thought

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 05:20 PM
In the Crazy World of Arthur Brown and our inflated transfer prices, just about anything is possible...

army88
10-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Looks like Jack might be returning to the fold.

I'm starting to get excited! :D

aller
As you say Bt this is a signing that's exciting , I'd like to see jack back tbh , think he's a very good footballer.

Hope there's mileage in this one.

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2017, 07:25 PM
aller
As you say Bt this is a signing that's exciting , I'd like to see jack back tbh , think he's a very good footballer.

Hope there's mileage in this one.

There definitely is!

Primitive
10-07-2017, 07:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEZNN1JW0AAhlJt.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/242/631/382.gif

thedonz
10-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Is he a creator of goals? Is he a goalscoring midfielder? Is he an enforcer ?

I don't think he is any of the above so while a lot of positive things are being said about him , which is good, I will save my excitement for the time being.

Primitive
10-07-2017, 08:33 PM

I don't think he is any of the above so while a lot of positive things are being said about him , which is good, I will save my excitement for the time being.

David Jones wasn't any of those things, but he was a damn good midfielder for us.

Like Walters, Cork is also a player with bags of PL experience.

Norder
10-07-2017, 11:17 PM

...more of a defensive midfielder I believe.....word coming out of Swansea is that at 10mil we've been robbed - worth and happy with 5.
So what do they say of him. A lazy player - not quick enough (head to toe) only good for the bench, a late game backup...which if he stayed at Swansea, was his main position for next season....lacks creativity , first touch is suspect, slows the play down unnecessarily...least talented in last seasons Swansea squad, and not PL quality....but tackles ok, fair in the air and a nice chap....many offers to pay for his taxi to us.

Would really like - to see us sign a player from a team where the supporters as sad to see one of their great players leave.... .

;D

Altobelli
10-07-2017, 11:45 PM
...more of a defensive midfielder I believe.....word coming out of Swansea is that at 10mil we've been robbed - worth and happy with 5.
So what do they say of him. A lazy player - not quick enough (head to toe) only good for the bench, a late game backup...which if he stayed at Swansea, was his main position for next season....lacks creativity , first touch is suspect, slows the play down unnecessarily...least talented in last seasons Swansea squad, and not PL quality....but tackles ok, fair in the air and a nice chap....many offers to pay for his taxi to us.

Would really like - to see us sign a player from a team where the supporters as sad to see one of their great players leave.... .

;D

Agree with your last line Norder, he was seemingly good when with us last time, since then I've not really noticed him pulling up any trees.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 06:06 AM
I saw him several times last season and thought how well he would fit in with us.

I am certain we have not paid £10 million pounds for Jack but if we have so what?

The Board get slated for prevaricating and then get criticised for allegedly paying over the top to get the deals done!

As for what opposing fans think, according to Everton fans they have just had Manchester United over big time!

Let's just be happy we are adding proven top quality players into the mix and in my opinion Taylor, Walters and Cork are cracking additions and demonstrate real intent not to be involved in any sort of relegation battle. :D

Primitive
11-07-2017, 06:23 AM

;D

I suppose it is a whole week since we snatched young Charlie Taylor from under Dirty Leeds' noses...

thedonz
11-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Sometime you don't see things in players that others do. I'm happy to be in a minority about Cork .

In Dyche We Trust
11-07-2017, 07:15 AM
If it comes off- much better than Whelan, and rumour has it that his dad likes Guinness and has got an Irish setter.....;D

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Word in my earpiece is that this one is a done deal and Jack and his dad are off to Dublin to try the Guinness...;D

nutsinmay
11-07-2017, 08:08 AM
I'm not Cork's biggest fan tbh. We need pace and drive in midfield, and I don't think that Cork offers either. I can't see how he'd fit into a 4-4-2.

sinkov
11-07-2017, 08:16 AM
A 28yo midfield player who played for England right through from U16 to U21 and has played around 160 PL games, the sort of signing we could only fantasise about a couple of years ago. I just don't see what's not to like, so what if we pay a couple of million over the odds for him, ITVDigital is a very distant memory now, this is a club with a turnover in excess of £120m, we have money coming out of our ears.
If we have got Taylor, Walters and Cork on board before we're halfway through July then I for one am well impressed. At long last it seems we're not going to be sending the manager into the season with one hand tied behind his back. Well done to Mr Garlick, this is how to keep a manager happy. And this fan at least.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Agreeing wholeheartedly with you twice in one week is making me feel distinctly uneasy sinkov! :O

Deadlydave
11-07-2017, 09:34 AM
A good potential signing for me. Look at what we paid for Hendrick; is Cork not at least as good?

SERVERNOTRESPONDING
11-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Looks like he is on his way

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-midfielder-jack-cork-joins-10773660

sinkov
11-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Agreeing wholeheartedly with you twice in one week is making me feel distinctly uneasy sinkov! :O

If we stick to footy, I think we'll get on fine.;D

sinkov
11-07-2017, 10:22 AM
A good potential signing for me. Look at what we paid for Hendrick; is Cork not at least as good?
Dd, in my humble opinion Jack is effing miles better.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Contrasting styles that will work just fine! :D

outwoodclaret
11-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Cork makes better long term sense than Whelan. The latter we should have signed many years ago but now too late I think.

Primitive
11-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Me too!

sinkov
11-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Everyone comes round to my way of thinking ..........eventually.;D

sinkov
11-07-2017, 12:07 PM
David Jones wasn't any of those things, but he was a damn good midfielder for us.

Quite right Prim, Dyche's best signing and our most influential player in that promotion season. McCann out, Jones in, and we were transformed, a different team, never looked back.

Primitive
11-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Everyone comes round to my way of thinking ..........eventually.;D

I see it more as you coming round to our's :)

Not sure about Cork being better than Hendrick though.

sinkov
11-07-2017, 12:24 PM
I see it more as you coming round to our's :)

I'd be interested if you could point out any examples.

Who is "our's" ? Are you and BT an item ?

Primitive
11-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I'd be interested if you could point out any examples.

There's one right here in this thread. It looks like you've come round to the idea that Mike Garlick and co might know what they are doing in running this football club after all.

I'll ignore the silly comment about me and BT.

On topic, the Mail are reporting this as a done deal with Cork signing a 4 year contract.

oldcolner
11-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Mail says £8M rising to £10M

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4685320/Swansea-midfielder-Jack-Cork-completes-8m-Burnley.html

Amr1989
11-07-2017, 01:29 PM
An upgrade in what we have now. He knows the club after 2 very successful loan spells also worked with dyche on temp basis at watford. its a no brainer great signing at good value in today's market. Still see another centre mid coming in after Cork to allow defour to move on although would really like him to stick with us for another year.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 02:07 PM
I can still fondly remember him smashing the Nobenders at Deepdale virtually on his own. :D

I am really excited about how things are shaping up.

I still think Defour will leave and McArthur will come in and I think Gray will be replaced with Assombalonga.

Not sure I want Darikwa to leave though? :(

All in all - H A P P Y!

army88
11-07-2017, 02:55 PM
I can still fondly remember him smashing the Nobenders at Deepdale virtually on his own. :D

I am really excited about how things are shaping up.

I still think Defour will leave and McArthur will come in and I think Gray will be replaced with Assombalonga.

Not sure I want Darikwa to leave though? :(

All in all - H A P P Y!

I think Bt that would be the most productive we had been for some time, ( maybe ever ).
I'd like Assombalonga and Mcarthur along with Dawson I think from WBA ( or a good centre half with experience at this level ) and I'd be really happy with our line up , though I'm not sure how SD will fit them all in .
Still think Snodgrass could end up here as part of Gray deal but can't help thinking we need pace now to feed the front men.
We could be very strong if Dyche can mould this lot together.
Amazing how we've grown as a club , whilst still be prudent - sensible about our means.

I think the board really had to take a bit of gamble with some money this time around , I'm not saying Dyche had there arms up their back but all the interest in him and losing Keane , they really had to make a statement and back him or he'd probably have gone I believe.

I'm all for Tarkowski tbh but I'm unsure without him being fully tested at this level - if he can step up I'd be very impressed ( looked the deal at Palace ) .
Maybe that's all he needs the chance.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 03:04 PM
I can see the Dawson one happening, especially if the Baggies sign Kone from Sunderland which now looks likely!

Amr1989
11-07-2017, 03:36 PM
I think army88 that tarkowski looked more the comfortable when ever given the chance in claret and blue last season. And I belive regardless of new centre half joining club dyche will give him his chance in first couple PL games to impress. I hope anyway.

1972Claret
11-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Why are people criticising at all? Probably the best midfielder to have worn a Burnley shirt since Dobbo, or at least Steven. Michael Carrick gets criticism from a lot of Man U fans but it was no coincidence that they started winning things again when he joined them. Cork has some similarities and not everybody appreciates what he does but he is more than just good when he is on form. Perhaps he wasn't well appreciated at Swansea but he feels at home here and Dyche is good at getting the best from players. This could be an outstanding move.

Norder
11-07-2017, 04:25 PM

I suppose it is a whole week since we snatched young Charlie Taylor from under Dirty Leeds' noses...

Leeds fans glad to be shut of him Prim...no choice really - as seems like last season he just couldn't be bothered, talk of him feigning an injury...refusing to play, a complete lack of interest - but as long he leaves the silly behaviour behind...should be good for us.

;D

Norder
11-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Why are people criticising at all?

....perhaps because Swansea are about to sell one of their main rivals a player....one that they dont believe good enough to keep ?

...lets hope they're wrong.

;D

Primitive
11-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Leeds fans glad to be shut of him Prim...no choice really - as seems like last season he just couldn't be bothered, talk of him feigning an injury...refusing to play, a complete lack of interest - but as long he leaves the silly behaviour behind...should be good for us.

;D

Pretty sure they would have preferred to have kept him and were only saying they were glad to get rid because he'd had his head turned by our better offer.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Taylor wanted to come to Burnley in the last January window but Monks decided to play hard arse.

Hence the strop!

At £5-6 million he is a snip! :D

sinkov
11-07-2017, 05:26 PM
There's one right here in this thread. It looks like you've come round to the idea that Mike Garlick and co might know what they are doing in running this football club after all.

You've managed to get it completely the wrong way round Prim. I'm praising Garlick because at long last we're getting the players in early, which is what I've been pleading for for years, instead of depending on the usual late August trolley dash. As I said before, people usually come round to my way of thinking eventually, and BFC have done just that.

sinkov
11-07-2017, 05:37 PM

That diving header he scored at Deepdale, one of the most enjoyable goals I've ever seen us score, and I've been watching us since the late 50s. I was sorry we couldn't hold onto Cork back then, and never thought he'd be back. I'm having two Christmas's this year.:)

1972Claret
11-07-2017, 05:41 PM
....perhaps because Swansea are about to sell one of their main rivals a player....one that they dont believe good enough to keep ?

...lets hope they're wrong.

;D

But we know him, whatever people at Swansea might think. Have people forgotten how good he can be and he will be at the height of his career.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Everyone loves playing at Burnley. I am just so happy the EPL money train is parked at Turf Moor and we can actually really afford to buy and pay players of this quality. H A P P Y! :D

Primitive
11-07-2017, 07:03 PM
It's official!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEebdeNXkAAms3T.jpg

Norder
11-07-2017, 07:32 PM
But we know him, whatever people at Swansea might think. Have people forgotten how good he can be and he will be at the height of his career.

maybe not forgotten how he was....but we'll just have to wait and see for whats to come.

https://d30y9cdsu7xlg0.cloudfront.net/png/115782-200.png

Anyway - Welcome........................................... .............................Jack Cork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0A1cdEDLY

;D :)

nutsinmay
12-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Here's the confirmation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40557497

Good to see us getting deals done early.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 08:04 AM
No last minute shopping trolley dash this time...

Even sinkov is happy! :D

oldcolner
12-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Did Sinkov say he was off his trolley? ;D

sinkov
12-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Did Sinkov say he was off his trolley? ;D

Off my trolley with happiness and delight OC, finally we're getting our business done early. I should be able to cancel my prescription for Nurofen this summer as well, no more headaches from banging my head against the wall as summer slips by and our recruitment team sit idly on their hands waiting for the end of August. Happy days !!

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2017, 12:51 PM
We do seemed to have learned the lesson the hard way and the earpiece is telling me two more inbounds are imminent!

Crikey! :D