PDA

View Full Version : The 18 man squad

BudMill90
14-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Lets assume Bell is leaving. Also ill leave Donaldson in there as it seems Quinn doesnt come in until he goes.

Only 2 spaces left in Ray's 18 man squad but I am thinking surely he will need to squeeze that up to 19/20 minimum to feel comfortable?

Rumours of Stanton are there and Ray has already mentioned the need for another 1 or maybe 2 strikers along with a central midfielder. Squad will take shape if we get Quinn, a creative midfielder who can play deep and another player up top. Also wouldnt say no to Stanton. Played well against us last season. Can play wide and centrally too. Good dribbler.

1 Lewis
2 Murdoch
3 Scobbie
4 Durnan
5 Edjenguele
6 Toshney
7 Flood
8 King
9 Fraser
10 Mcmullan
11 Keatings
12 Robson
13 N'Koyi
14 Donaldson/Quinn?
15 Briels
16 Deniz

darrenshedtastic
14-07-2017, 04:25 PM
im assuming a few of the young players will be squad players
Alladyce, the two smiths and ballantyne will probably bulk up the squad abitty

GUNBOAT
14-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Letting Bell go is total madness,it's maybe the final nail in McKinnon's coffin but i refuse to believe he is sanctioning this deal.Our keeper is probably the only player we have left with any value so is this the culmination of the 5 year plan?.

PortugueseFrank
14-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Disagree on Bell, GB.

as with any manager it is recruitment that will determine when their coffin receives that final nail.

If the two goalies we’ve brought in cut the mustard then Bell’s leaving will be fine.

I think he’s overrated and his physical resilience is questionable. A lot of injuries. Plus the travelling from Annan area to St Andrews for training stuff makes me wonder how committed he is.

I think any move he makes could well be player led. He obviously likes living where he does and I’m sure if a move cane io that required less travelling then he’d be up for it

bannon_ftd_83
15-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Stanton is basically the same player as Fraser imo. He is no winger. We need another quick wide man, a big target man and GOOD central midfielder. At a minimum.

Hoofballer
15-07-2017, 08:08 AM
im assuming a few of the young players will be squad players
Alladyce, the two smiths and ballantyne will probably bulk up the squad abitty

Agreed... if not good enough shouldn't be there at all....and if they turn out to not be up to challenge they'll need moved on and replaced in due course.

GUNBOAT
15-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Disagree on Bell, GB.

as with any manager it is recruitment that will determine when their coffin receives that final nail.

If the two goalies we’ve brought in cut the mustard then Bell’s leaving will be fine.

I think he’s overrated and his physical resilience is questionable. A lot of injuries. Plus the travelling from Annan area to St Andrews for training stuff makes me wonder how committed he is.

I think any move he makes could well be player led. He obviously likes living where he does and I’m sure if a move cane io that required less travelling then he’d be up for it

What i was meaning Frank is better the devil you know and i never thought he was out injured too often.Did you see what the Port Vale fan posted about Mehmet?.

Chick A Saw
15-07-2017, 10:25 AM
What i was meaning Frank is better the devil you know and i never thought he was out injured too often.Did you see what the Port Vale fan posted about Mehmet?.

Looks like we are back to Szromnick and Zwick then.

However, as Port Vale play at a higher level than us and Southampton handed Lewis a 3 year contract the day before his loan, i want to see them in a competitive game before totally writing them off.

SmedDUm
15-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Did you see what Dundee United fans say/said about Armstrong/Erskine/Telfer/Spittal/Toshney/Fraser/Donaldson/Dillon/Daly/Anychunt?
Makes Mehmet sound like Joe Ward.

ClashCityRocker
15-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Perhaps also a good chance of two loan players being added to the squad ?

So, do we have two wingers for the coming season ?

Sorry to see Bell go, but lets hope the two new keepers can fill his void.

GUNBOAT
15-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Did you see what Dundee United fans say/said about Armstrong/Erskine/Telfer/Spittal/Toshney/Fraser/Donaldson/Dillon/Daly/Anychunt?
Makes Mehmet sound like Joe Ward.

You have got a point there,dead risky letting Bell go though and replacing him with less experience.

stokearab
15-07-2017, 01:15 PM
You have got a point there,dead risky letting Bell go though and replacing him with less experience.

GB you could blame RM for the new signings to replace Bell but you can't blame him for letting Bell go since he obviously made it clear he didn't want to stay. So it's not "risky letting him go" is it

As Chick said the Southampton lad has been given a new 3 year contract so they must rate him highly. Too early to write off these keepers imo

shedboy71
15-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Stoke - you watching the game online? I have the new season optimism creeping in but not at game. Sounds like we are in total control using wings - by god who would have though it :P

stokearab
15-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Stoke - you watching the game online? I have the new season optimism creeping in but not at game. Sounds like we are in total control using wings - by god who would have though it :P

No, not watching this one 71. Got my lad coming over next week so just sorting stuff out for his accommodation etc.
Keeping an eye on the scores though. At the end of the day for me it's not the results in this cup that matter, it's bedding down a formation and getting the players working well as a team so that when the league games come along we are ready for a flying start.

ianharab
15-07-2017, 02:43 PM
No there either and judging by radio , no missing much , couldn't get myself motivated to go today , hope that's no an omen for this season

shedboy71
15-07-2017, 02:46 PM
No there either and judging by radio , no missing much , couldn't get myself motivated to go today , hope that's no an omen for this season

my pre season optimisim has lasted all of 30 mins :O agree with stoke need to blood in players - sounds like our keeper had a howler of a pass for an open goal and durnan to rescue

stokearab
15-07-2017, 03:30 PM
2-0 now. Stanton fouled for pen which Keatings converts. First was McMullan

stokearab
15-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Decent start, refreshing to see so many new names on the teamsheet, will be interested to hear how we played, especially likes of the new GK

Skolcorner
15-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Who is Archie Thomas? Is he from Southampton as well?

Chick A Saw
15-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Decent start, refreshing to see so many new names on the teamsheet, will be interested to hear how we played, especially likes of the new GK

Forgettable first half with some good signs. Apart from the howler, Deniz had some good saves and was good to see the keeper come for a corner ball. McMullan continues his promise and some nice football to watch.

shedboy71
15-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Forgettable first half with some good signs. Apart from the howler, Deniz had some good saves and was good to see the keeper come for a corner ball. McMullan continues his promise and some nice football to watch.

cheers - in a funny way quite refreshing so many new players given our last few seasons

Chick A Saw
15-07-2017, 06:04 PM
cheers - in a funny way quite refreshing so many new players given our last few seasons

On the negative, i looked at the bench and had that Hamilton feeling that there was not too much on the bench to come on and change a game. We need another striker or 2 and maybe a few others just to cover things.

Where did the lad Thomas come from though? 2 brief looks at him and i think he looks quite good.

stokearab
15-07-2017, 06:12 PM
On the negative, i looked at the bench and had that Hamilton feeling that there was not too much on the bench to come on and change a game. We need another striker or 2 and maybe a few others just to cover things.

Where did the lad Thomas come from though? 2 brief looks at him and i think he looks quite good.

up until today i never heard his name mentioned. When I saw it on the team sheet I thought it was a typo

Tannadicebunnet
15-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Thomas is an ex Southampton youngster .

GUNBOAT
15-07-2017, 08:05 PM
GB you could blame RM for the new signings to replace Bell but you can't blame him for letting Bell go since he obviously made it clear he didn't want to stay. So it's not "risky letting him go" is it

As Chick said the Southampton lad has been given a new 3 year contract so they must rate him highly. Too early to write off these keepers imo

We have signed 2 keepers with almost no experience of 1st team football which is very risky.Mehmet as i recall was a back up keeper at Falkirk who Houston allowed to leave,he went to Port Vale played 9 games and was released when they went down.I cannot believe McKinnon would allow Bell to leave without getting an experienced keeper in first.

JoePearson
15-07-2017, 08:07 PM
We have signed 2 keepers with almost no experience of 1st team football which is very risky.Mehmet as i recall was a back up keeper at Falkirk who Houston allowed to leave,he went to Port Vale played 9 games and was released when they went down.I cannot believe McKinnon would allow Bell to leave without getting an experienced keeper in first.

Believe it.

SmedDUm
16-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Who is Archie Thomas? Is he from Southampton as well?

If you Yahoo him he's either a lighting cameraman or a painter & decorator in Cambridge.

Skolcorner
16-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Hahaha! Hopefully he'll be able to strip the ball off defenders and score in a flash!

Sandeman
04-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Lets assume Bell is leaving. Also ill leave Donaldson in there as it seems Quinn doesnt come in until he goes.

Only 2 spaces left in Ray's 18 man squad but I am thinking surely he will need to squeeze that up to 19/20 minimum to feel comfortable?

Rumours of Stanton are there and Ray has already mentioned the need for another 1 or maybe 2 strikers along with a central midfielder. Squad will take shape if we get Quinn, a creative midfielder who can play deep and another player up top. Also wouldnt say no to Stanton. Played well against us last season. Can play wide and centrally too. Good dribbler.

1 Lewis
2 Murdoch
3 Scobbie
4 Durnan
5 Edjenguele
6 Toshney
7 Flood
8 King
9 Fraser
10 Mcmullan
11 Keatings
12 Robson
13 N'Koyi
14 Donaldson/Quinn?
15 Briels
16 Deniz

So...
17 Stanton
18 McDonald
19 Fyvie

Are we realistically going to see anyone else coming in? Donaldson looks set to stay

MagicMugs
04-08-2017, 12:23 PM
So...
17 Stanton
18 McDonald
19 Fyvie

Are we realistically going to see anyone else coming in? Donaldson looks set to stay

Donaldson is the new Armand Benneker, we will be stuck with him

Chick A Saw
04-08-2017, 04:42 PM
I think we are on our way to a 23/25 man squad now. Having seen the U20 the other night, i saw why Chalmers has been given a chance when he scored 2 very good goals. Add to that with B&M Smiths, Ballantyne, Thomas with a couple of others doing well for themselves. Sort out the Donaldson issue, bring in Quinn and a striker and all is good.