PDA

View Full Version : Are We Being Serious ,...Looking for Players..

bfcjon
17-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Just really fed up, with all our messing about,..Re Signing players..
Garlick, has said we would be improving our squad,....!!!..Hell I beg to differ..
The latest link,..A 45 year old goalkeeper for fs..!!
With sales out,..Plus signings ,....We haven"t spent anything yet!!
We were supposed to have a 30 million + transfer budget,...+ 25 MILLION FOR KEANE,...And we look for a 45 year old goalkeeper !!FFS..
Some Questions really need to be asked, with our Chairman, Yes I Know the training ground, cost money,..But Come on Mr Garlick,...This might be our last chance...Please make the most of it!!

oldcolner
17-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Séamus John James "Shay" Given (born 20 April 1976) is an Irish professional footballer.
So he's 41 not 45 and he's Irish .... and could help improve Pope.

Turfmoorspirit
17-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Stiff opposition from the championship does not help..;D

bfcjon
17-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Séamus John James "Shay" Given (born 20 April 1976) is an Irish professional footballer.
So he's 41 not 45 and he's Irish .... and could help improve Pope.

He may as well be the Pope,...for what we will get out of him,.. :(

1959_60
17-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Well, if we kick off with our current squad - plus a top notch central defender - then I will be very happy.

We have six weeks to find him.

I'm not worried at all.

oldcolner
17-07-2017, 08:43 PM
He won't be expensive and we need a third keeper just in case.

It is unlikely that Given will get many opportunities to add to his 451 Premier League appearances. He only made five appearances at Stoke City last season and totalled 19 saves. But it is the experience that will be a valuable asset for Dyche to have around on the training field.

THE OLDEST GOALKEEPERS TO PLAY IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
John Burridge Manchester City (May 1995) 43y 163d
Alec Chamberlain Watford (May 2007) 42y 327d
Steve Ogrizovic Coventry (May 2000) 42y 236d
Brad Friedel Tottenham (Nov 2013) 42y 176d
Mark Schwarzer Leicester (Mar 2015) 42y 159d
Neville Southall Bradford (Mar 2000) 41y 178d
Kevin Poole Bolton (Jan 2005) 41y 164d
Jens Lehmann Arsenal (Apr 2011) 41y 151d
Edwin Van der Sar Manchester United (May 2011) 40y 205d
David Seaman Manchester City (Jan 2004) 40y 113d
Steve Harper Hull (May 2015) 40y 71d

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3546695/Shay-Given-twelfth-oldest-keeper-play-Premier-League-Stoke-ace-game-forget-Tottenham-net-four.html#ixzz4n7jRp1qZ

Norder
17-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Stiff opposition from the championship does not help..;D

was that meant to be funny Turf.

Because it is.....

https://media.tenor.com/images/af9bc329794fa6666519d4d02ed76b81/tenor.gif

;D

Turfmoorspirit
17-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Boro are throwing the ranch at it in a bid for promotion. We did the right thing on not persuing it any further imo. They are paying mercedes prices for austin montegos. Promotion is a must win for them or they will be in deep sh!t. We really did not need to take the gamble.. All we have done is make boro pay through the &rse for a player we don't really need..

Norder
18-07-2017, 12:32 AM

fact remains Turf.....we wanted him - but seemingly they have him.

....and agreed - we need to raise the bar - show the's PL teams we mean business.

:)

Altobelli
18-07-2017, 12:49 AM

we need to raise the bar - show the's PL teams we mean business.:)

And the Championship teams :)

Norder
18-07-2017, 01:09 AM

i'd forgot about them.....for a minute Alto,

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv41/zeddscat/Emotions/Disapproval/Worffacepalm.gif

...thanks for the reminder :D

The Bedlington Terrier
18-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Does anyone seriously believe Dave Baldwin, Sean Dyche, Martin Hodge, Derek Mowbray and Ian Butterworth are all being paid to be sitting on their arses and not attempting to add to the squad? :confused:

Young Nick Pope is being mentored to become the "next" Tom Heaton. What better apprenticeship could a young goalkeeper have than being coached under the auspices of Billy Mercer, Tom Heaton and Shay Given? We also have another great young prospect in Northern Ireland's under-21 goalkeeper Conor Mitchell who will also benefit greatly from the years of experience Givens can provide.

Sometimes it's good to think outside of the box! :D

oldcolner
18-07-2017, 07:18 AM

The bet a lot on Bamford in January didn't they. Looks like he could be on the bench ... or even off again.

oldcolner
18-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Does anyone seriously believe Dave Baldwin, Sean Dyche, Martin Hodge, Derek Mowbray and Ian Butterworth are all being paid to be sitting on their arses and not attempting to add to the squad? :confused:

Young Nick Pope is being mentored to become the "next" Tom Heaton. What better apprenticeship could a young goalkeeper have than being coached under the auspices of Billy Mercer, Tom Heaton and Shay Given? We also have another great young prospect in Northern Ireland's under-21 goalkeeper Conor Mitchell who will also benefit greatly from the years of experience Givens can provide.

Sometimes it's good to think outside of the box! :D

He will also add to the Irish connection if the club plan a ceilidh!

Sean Duché
18-07-2017, 07:43 AM
When we signed gray did we get rid of volkes or barnes? I think not so what makes you think they would sell Bamford who scored something like 17 goals in the championship last time round. Oh and Bamford played on the right for them when he played there last time round so probably looks to be a setup of something like

Britt
Braithwaite. Ramires. Bamford
Clayton. DeRoon
Friend. Gibson. Ayala. Christie
Dimi

Doesn't look too bad of a team and they still have the likes of Traore, Fabio, Leadbitter, Forshaw, Gestede, Stuani and Howson to fit in too.

The Bedlington Terrier
18-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Aye, it's a squad that should bounce right back SD. :)

thedonz
18-07-2017, 08:22 PM
What chance have we got when Arnautovich , a bog standard striker goes for 24 million today ? A deal between two mid/lower table teams. The club needs to be given time to do enough research and astute negotiation to avoid such high risk deals.

I would have though most fans would have come to realise this by now.

oldcolner
18-07-2017, 09:24 PM
When we signed gray did we get rid of volkes or barnes? I think not so what makes you think they would sell Bamford who scored something like 17 goals in the championship last time round. Oh and Bamford played on the right for them when he played there last time round so probably looks to be a setup of something like

Britt
Braithwaite. Ramires. Bamford
Clayton. DeRoon
Friend. Gibson. Ayala. Christie
Dimi

Doesn't look too bad of a team and they still have the likes of Traore, Fabio, Leadbitter, Forshaw, Gestede, Stuani and Howson to fit in too.

He was bought by Karanka and managed two stats and 6 substitute appearances before Britt scoring one PL goal, apparently suffering some hernia.
I'm not sure he will get many more this year.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-07-2017, 05:36 AM
What chance have we got when Arnautovich , a bog standard striker goes for 24 million today ? A deal between two mid/lower table teams. The club needs to be given time to do enough research and astute negotiation to avoid such high risk deals.

I would have though most fans would have come to realise this by now.

I remember last season at the Turf when Arnautovic was clean through on two occasions, one he fell over, the other he overran for a goal kick. How much??? :confused:

thedonz
19-07-2017, 06:24 AM
I think that was a typical performance from him judging by the low number if goals he scored last season , around 7 if my memory serves me right.

It's madness!!!!!!!

Primitive
19-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Arnautovic isn't an orthodox striker, so shouldn't be judged purely on goals scored. He's a very good player and while the transfer fee is ridiculous, that seems to be the going rate this window.

sinkov
19-07-2017, 08:18 AM
We got out of jail with that one he missed against us, but I like Arnautovic, I'd be very happy if we'd signed him. I assume him going to West Ham ends any potential interest they had in Gray, and increases the likelihood that he's staying with us to run his contract down.

thedonz
19-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I checked , six PL goals and 5 assists. Still not good enough , an average forward at best, fetching what was it , 24 million pound. There are other players out there who would more improve our side at a lot less money.

It is where the market is and my original point remains , we are being serious looking for players but shouldn't be spending that amount of money on players such as Arnautovic . And many others just as average.

Makes it tough for us but the search will go on for better deals .

The Bedlington Terrier
19-07-2017, 10:12 AM
On this evidence, Gray looks a snip at £15 million! :O