PDA

View Full Version : How'did'you'get'on'WBAMAD

WBA1955
18-07-2017, 05:39 PM
With'me'i'started'reading'the'board'in'2003,and'ju st'did'that'for'a'year'before'joining.
I'also'joined'The'Zone'and'Dot'Com'at'the'same'tim e
I'recently'had'a'request'from'a'mod'on'the'latter' asking'me'not'to'post'anymore'until'i'get'my'keybo ard'fixed':D
Don't'think'that'will'happen'on'here'though.
I'am'a'mod':P
It'will'have'to'be'done'though'but'i'will'wait'unt il'Chris'comes'back,'from'his'hols

Prando
20-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Can't quite remember when, certainly several +++ years ago.
I arranged to meet up with BaggiefromSafford, Donny Valdo and Northy in the Vine. Evening match I think.
Thereafter the usual suspects in the Sportsman.
I must get back there again pre match

Dubbag
20-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Reading your posts 55 is like learning a new language...and my English is not great as it is....

Albionic68
20-07-2017, 12:39 PM
I’m a relatively late starter on this site compared to some, but then I’ve only been on the internet since early 2010 :) .

Initially chose to read up on all things Albion via Newsnow and contributed to the comments sections of the Brum Mail and Express and Star for a while. Got bored with those pretty quickly and decided to look around for some football forums. Found and read .com, WBA Unofficial and a couple of other efforts but I couldn’t really take to their layouts.

Then I stumbled across this place with its vibrant community and fresher, more open format so I decided to sign up for my first football forum. It’ll be my sixth anniversary here tomorrow :O and I’ve had a great time. Had some real laughs, met loads of posters after taking the plunge at the Sportsman and made some good friends. Sadly some are no longer with us and yet more have chosen to fly the posting coup for reasons of their own.

This is still a good and free facility with many really decent people. While this is not meant as a criticism though, much of the humour has in my honest opinion disappeared. Some posters have moved on and just found other things to do. A rest can be as good as a change but you can easily get out of the habit, a bit like going to the Albion has for some. Unfortunately ‘one or two’ downgrades to the site probably accelerated its probable natural evolution. I currently have much less free time on my hands than previously too, and tend to split my posting activities between here, WBA Unofficial and .com.

It’s just life and the way things go………… all of the very best and hope to meet more of you soon B) .

Acido
20-07-2017, 01:21 PM
For me it was during Euro '12, and it might have been the night we/England went out to Italy on pens in the Qtrs.
The first poster I remember having a giggle with on here then was the old geezer Stroller. (I think some of you lot on here might know him very well actually) :D
Dave Valder is another one I remember from those days, before I started chatting with loads more regulars on here.

holmleighchris
20-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Prando, it says in the top right of every post you make when you joined!
I joined May 2008. Looking for a chat with like minded people, ended up meeting up with many, even went canal barge riding with some of them a couple of times.
Here are a few group photos:

BaggiefromStafford
20-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Found the site by accident, watched for a while it made sense to join.

BaggiefromStafford
20-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Prando, it says in the top right of every post you make when you joined!
I joined May 2008. Looking for a chat with like minded people, ended up meeting up with many, even went canal barge riding with some of them a couple of times.
Here are a few group photos:

Remember those pictures well, myself my wife and son are in both of them.

holmleighchris
21-07-2017, 07:02 AM
I'm pretty sure there was a 3rd one Dave, but can't find the photo.
I'm only in the second one. Recovering from a heart attack when the first one was taken.
Note that in the second one it's the 2 from Gloucester not wearing coats. Makes you tough living down this way (or stupid!).

Albionic68
21-07-2017, 09:47 AM
I'm only in the second one. Recovering from a heart attack when the first one was taken.
Note that in the second one it's the 2 from Gloucester not wearing coats. Makes you tough living down this way (or stupid!).

Morning Chris.

I think both of those barge trips were before my time on the board, or if not then pretty close to it. There have been at least two other trips which I have attended on the barge since then.

We had a day out and charity auction for Baggie Steve, and another trip in memory of Keith (Lincs) and Baggie Boy Geoffs mate who died following a cycling accident near Norwich. Norwich supporters were also in attendance for the latter trip.

Think there may have been another day out between these two, but I'm not sure.

holmleighchris
21-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Morning Chris.

I think both of those barge trips were before my time on the board, or if not then pretty close to it. There have been at least two other trips which I have attended on the barge since then.

We had a day out and charity auction for Baggie Steve, and another trip in memory of Keith (Lincs) and Baggie Boy Geoffs mate who died following a cycling accident near Norwich. Norwich supporters were also in attendance for the latter trip.

Think there may have been another day out between these two, but I'm not sure.

These weren't post barge trips, we met up in the Sportsmans and took them in that area. The top one was March 2009.
I did the first 2 barge trips. The first one I missed my bus back to Gloucester, Phoned my sister up to rescue me, the second I stayed over in a dodgy hotel with BaggieBoyGeoff!

Q165
21-07-2017, 10:42 AM
When I arrived at work I would log on and the first things I would look for were emails from my mate in Indonesia and then Albion news. I can't remember how I came across Mad but I found it both whimsical and informative. It was not easy but I took the plunge and decided to join on retiring. I just hope it doesn't fade away like so many others.

SwedishBaggie
21-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Joined, by accident ;-), in June 2011. Found the site while surfing for Albion info on the internet.

Met quite a few posters IRL, although I have my travel distance to consider. Great people, I have really enjoyed pre and post match drinks. The best one so far, Hammers away in, I think, 2013 - bad result, superb day out.

I have always enjoyed the good banter on this site, though some posters def are missed.

Prando
21-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Ahhh thanks Holmleigh !!

Herewith a recent barge photo. A sign held by me and Baggieboygeoff in memory of Lincs.

http://i64.tinypic.com/rc243s.jpg

BaggiefromStafford
22-07-2017, 06:55 AM

I think you are right Chris about a 3rd or 4th one not sure but there could have been one for Baggie Steve.

There was one for me when I went into hospital 2012. Julie showed me when she visited, Don't remember much as i was on another planet.

holmleighchris
24-07-2017, 02:36 PM
I've reopened this thread. Can't see why Des locked it.

Hope he doesn't shout at me for doing so!

WBA1955
24-07-2017, 03:32 PM
I'didn't'lock'it'Chris

holmleighchris
24-07-2017, 04:08 PM
I'didn't'lock'it'Chris

Could a mod from another board do it? I certainly didn't. :?

Acido
24-07-2017, 04:13 PM

I dont think thats possible Chris (and no it wasnt me :P), surely only Footymad Admin can do that sort of thing.

Albionic68
24-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Maybe it was the board's new sponsors flexing their muscles :O ;D .

http://i63.tinypic.com/s4rxuh.jpg

BaggieBlood
24-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I used the BBC 606 site until they closed it so they could increase that ginger t Wat Evans' bank balance even further.

Looked online and this came top of a Google search and I joined.

Straight forward joining process made my mind up to join.

Met a few from here but apart from Hlc, they no longer post or have passed away.