PDA

View Full Version : if you could only sign ONE more player

waalsendmick
19-07-2017, 11:14 AM
... who would it be?
or at least, what position would you strengthen?

for me it would be a midfield warrior, a real ball winner to protect the defence and allow Shelvey the time and space to play his game.

I appreciate we are weak up front, and Rafa seems desperate for a keeper, but we need the middle of the park sorted.

as for who we would get for that position, I have no idea, just NOT colback or saivet.

MidsMagpie
19-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Dusan Tadic

Jammy89
19-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Agree with that completely Mick.

Personally I'd like Sigurdsson, although I know we won't pay the money nor would he want to come here.

So I don't know if that counts XD

ex_pat_magpie
19-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Agree with that completely Mick.

Personally I'd like Sigurdsson, although I know we won't pay the money nor would he want to come here.

So I don't know if that counts XD

I'd be torn between a left back, a proper one, and a hustling, bustling real centre forward.

pboromag
19-07-2017, 03:00 PM
dimmets stats speak for them selves

i would love siggurdson and would pay the money for him for no other reaso than you need to build a team around smeoone

however i would choose a striker a big lad who can score and who can hold play up and bring others in

rafa is so negative we might as well forget about a creative player

we will only play one up front so it may as well be a big guy to support all the wingers we seem to have and ar buying

Southerntoon75
19-07-2017, 03:15 PM
dimmets stats speak for them selves

i would love siggurdson and would pay the money for him for no other reaso than you need to build a team around smeoone

however i would choose a striker a big lad who can score and who can hold play up and bring others in

rafa is so negative we might as well forget about a creative player

we will only play one up front so it may as well be a big guy to support all the wingers we seem to have and ar buying

How about Llorente at Swansea?

smorgan86
19-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Has to be a left back for me. Linked with that Real Betis LB, I'd go for him. I like the sounds of a DM as well but we can't rely on Dummett. Gayle has done it in the prem before and Mitro could cause problems if utilized correctly.

Zippity
19-07-2017, 04:26 PM
My initial thought was we need a striker-which we really do-but if I'm sticking to the premise of the thread, then I'd have to go along with what Mick said about needing a midfielder who can win tackles and protect the back 4. Either that or if Hayden is in midfield, but a Shelvey replacement who can pass well but take the ball forward-a bit like Cabaye.

Nufc24Mag
19-07-2017, 04:46 PM
... who would it be?
or at least, what position would you strengthen?

for me it would be a midfield warrior, a real ball winner to protect the defence and allow Shelvey the time and space to play his game.

I appreciate we are weak up front, and Rafa seems desperate for a keeper, but we need the middle of the park sorted.

as for who we would get for that position, I have no idea, just NOT colback or saivet.

siggiuson if he had a realistic price tag, but probably Javi Hernandez for £13m

tooslomofo
19-07-2017, 07:33 PM
It's a good post.....
Difficult question

I'd have to say a CM wether that be a good DM or a number 10
I'd have sicknote jack wilshere or maybe delph

pboromag
20-07-2017, 02:36 AM
It's a good post.....
Difficult question

I'd have to say a CM wether that be a good DM or a number 10
I'd have sicknote jack wilshere or maybe delph

pity you didnt ataend the sports direct storeopening and tell rafa that
delph a good shout

withshire and shelvey wouldnt work

and there are plenty more like that for the money we are paying

Jammy89
20-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Agree on Delph as well.

Zippity
20-07-2017, 09:03 AM
siggiuson if he had a realistic price tag,

This is a big part of the problem.

Aye, he's decent-would be excellent for us, for example, or a West Ham, Southampton, etc (not saying we're comparable at the minute but that's where we're aiming in the medium term) but Swansea are wanting north of £40 million for him which is just insane. I know it reflects their view of how important he is to them but, still...

And this has a knock-on effect on the prices of the players in the tier below him-which is. effectively, where we're shopping, imo (or should be shopping.

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 09:15 AM
This is a big part of the problem.

Aye, he's decent-would be excellent for us, for example, or a West Ham, Southampton, etc (not saying we're comparable at the minute but that's where we're aiming in the medium term) but Swansea are wanting north of £40 million for him which is just insane. I know it reflects their view of how important he is to them but, still...

And this has a knock-on effect on the prices of the players in the tier below him-which is. effectively, where we're shopping, imo (or should be shopping.

That's why we got £30 Million for Sissoko. A sign of the times. No wonder we haven't the money to rebuild the team with even a half of them Prem standard.

Zippity
20-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Ah, well, 'hi fans' is slightly different. They bought him on the strength of his European champs performances and on some highlights from his time with us. Difference is his highlights were the only times he performed whereas with other players you might have to chose which ones to include.

You could almost make a case for one of the media myths about us working in our favour for once. The big-club-loving, Southern favouring media don't really give a **** about us and only glance our way in the hope that there's a laugh to be had (and, to be fair, we've given them plenty of opportunity) and are usually content to thrown around generalisations, hyperbole and downright lies to suit their 'deluded Geordies hound their managers out and demand cups/success/titles agenda. in the case of Sissoko, they based almost everything on the stand-out games and on what he was capable of when he could be arsed. Spuds bought into that and, lo and behold, £30 million quid and 'hi fans....'

XDXDXDXD

HughieG
20-07-2017, 01:36 PM
It's strange as in one sense we could buy players for all positions. Ritchie plus maybe Shelvey and Mbemba could be the only ones I'd keep as starting players if I had my way.

In another sense, I feel like we have a squad that's pretty big and could be good enough to survive in the PL, though not much more than that I'm afraid.

I would buy a CM next to Shelvey. Hayden is decent enough, but he shouldn't be starting games and I just don't rate Colback.

Ideally we'd get at least a new LB, another winger, maybe a GK and possibly a striker, but I'm starting to get a little impatient though I know it's irrational.

zoggs
20-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Gueye from Everton, lads a beast .Couldn't belive one of the big boys didn't go for him last season .