PDA

View Full Version : retirement age

Returnofrros
19-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Increased for middle aged again.....still as long as the wrinklies are protected.

Just amazes me how anybody over 60 wud vote anything bar tory.

deecom
19-07-2017, 06:08 PM
It doesn't matter who you vote for.
If you look at the baby boom just after the war, successive labour and Tory governments had over sixty years to put plans in place so that any government would be able to afford pension payments.
None of them had the foresight to do anything about it.
Instead you get a knee jerk reaction,put the age elegibility up !
Britain also has one of the lowest state pensions in Europe
Why don't they wait until all the pensioners die off !

BCram
20-07-2017, 09:38 AM
changing the retirement age is the simple solution to the problem that all governments have not raised enough money in taxes to keep pension payments, health service funding, local government funding at the levels they need to be. It's a crude way to stop additional pension costs being created.

It would be interesting to see what the reduction in pension entitlement for all those in receipt of pensions would be if any government said that they would stick with 65 as the age of entitlement and simply added all those who were being told to wait until they were 68 onto the list and divided the existing amount paid out in state pension by the augmented figure.

BCram
20-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Increased for middle aged again.....still as long as the wrinklies are protected.

Just amazes me how anybody over 60 wud vote anything bar tory.

I think the real question should be why would anyone not in receipt of a pension vote Tory? The political perception has been that the grey vote was more powerful than the youth vote. I don't know if this is still the case.

deecom
20-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Why not increase the national insurance contributions ? It's not the answer, but surely it would make a difference

deetox
20-07-2017, 06:33 PM
I was 70 last week, so just keep on grafting otherwise my triple-lock, baby-boomer generation lifestyle, with free bus travel, council tax benefit and a £200 bung every year for winter fuel, OAP concessions at the fitba and pictures, free prescriptions, dentist, specs and footcare continues for the next 30 years.

It's a wonderful life. B)

deecom
20-07-2017, 07:18 PM
I will be seventy in a few months, and not long retired, I'm not complaining about the freebies, I'm amazed most are still there, but by putting the age limit up, it doesn't take into account the type of work.
Many people who have worked in the building trade for example will be well phucked by that age.
My wife should have had her pension at 60 ,instead she has a six year wait , because the labour and tories keep changing the goal posts.
It's getting harder for people trying to plan for their retirement

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 08:55 AM
changing the retirement age is the simple solution to the problem that all governments have not raised enough money in taxes to keep pension payments, health service funding, local government funding at the levels they need to be. It's a crude way to stop additional pension costs being created.

It would be interesting to see what the reduction in pension entitlement for all those in receipt of pensions would be if any government said that they would stick with 65 as the age of entitlement and simply added all those who were being told to wait until they were 68 onto the list and divided the existing amount paid out in state pension by the augmented figure.

Its not the CORRECT solution though b cram.

Now as I've said afore I retired very young and em no skint but already the pension changes have already cost me around £56000 and Mrs sunshine around £24000 that's a quite considerable amount of money and we wont be an unusual case millions will be in the same boat its just That people are unaware its being done.

The foreign age budget is a grotesque waste of money that is spent to make a few British mps and upper class arty farty types feel good aboot themselves and should be ploughed into oor own system.

Lol foreign age.....Freudian slip.��

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 08:56 AM
I was 70 last week, so just keep on grafting otherwise my triple-lock, baby-boomer generation lifestyle, with free bus travel, council tax benefit and a £200 bung every year for winter fuel, OAP concessions at the fitba and pictures, free prescriptions, dentist, specs and footcare continues for the next 30 years.

It's a wonderful life. B)

That in a nutshell is the problem, greed of the aulder better off.

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 09:06 AM
I will be seventy in a few months, and not long retired, I'm not complaining about the freebies, I'm amazed most are still there, but by putting the age limit up, it doesn't take into account the type of work.
Many people who have worked in the building trade for example will be well phucked by that age.
My wife should have had her pension at 60 ,instead she has a six year wait , because the labour and tories keep changing the goal posts.
It's getting harder for people trying to plan for their retirement

Its not just physically ****ed you can not lift a hand in thirty forty years but be mentally ****ed trying to pass exams and continuous study.

Not freebies, somebody pays, generally the working young.

Disagree re your wife, equalisation of the pension age shuda been done years ago. Just because we have different chromosomes doesn't mean we shud get our pensions at different ages although there is an argument men should get there's earlier due to shorter life expectancy.

Thon WASPI campaign and Angus ****ing Robertson continually asking questions in parliament completely misses the point.

BCram
21-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Its not the CORRECT solution though b cram.

Now as I've said afore I retired very young and em no skint but already the pension changes have already cost me around £56000 and Mrs sunshine around £24000 that's a quite considerable amount of money and we wont be an unusual case millions will be in the same boat its just That people are unaware its being done.

The foreign age budget is a grotesque waste of money that is spent to make a few British mps and upper class arty farty types feel good aboot themselves and should be ploughed into oor own system.

Lol foreign age.....Freudian slip.��

Agree entirely that it isn't the correct solution. Putting up the amount that people pay into the system is the only way to fix things. My thought was that if the NI contributions from the employees were to increase this would be like a reduction in their income. I was wondering what the reduction in income would be if the amount being spent to provide basic state pensions was divided by all the people who are 65.

BCram
21-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Its not just physically ****ed you can not lift a hand in thirty forty years but be mentally ****ed trying to pass exams and continuous study.

Not freebies, somebody pays, generally the working young.

Disagree re your wife, equalisation of the pension age shuda been done years ago. Just because we have different chromosomes doesn't mean we shud get our pensions at different ages although there is an argument men should get there's earlier due to shorter life expectancy.

Thon WASPI campaign and Angus ****ing Robertson continually asking questions in parliament completely misses the point.
Totally agree about not being as fast thinking and able to cope with pressure as you get older. Should be possible to take a demotion for reduced pay in line with a reduction in responsibility. The way private pensions were devised they used to take account of the average of the last three years of pay, which traditionally were thought to be the highest years of earning power. don't know if that is still the case.

deecom
21-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Miilions of people in this country have had their pensions stolen from them, and raising the pension age means that trend will continue.
Millions will never see their pension and millions will only receive it for a short time.
It's legalised theft,look just recently at BHS, thousands lost their pension money.
Closer to home, timex were using the pension fund like maxwell did, and a great many timex employees never received their pension.
Private pension companies have been charging extortionate fees to monitor pension funds, and if you kicked the bucket, what was left in the pot went back to the pension company. In some cases the widow might receive a small token pension.
I worked for over fifty years and roughly half of that time I worked seven days a week and as a result paid more national insurance than most.
I'm not complaining about that, that's how the system works . One generation provides for the next.
Anyway that's me finished with my pension rant, I'm going back to the football !
Mon the dee !

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Miilions of people in this country have had their pensions stolen from them, and raising the pension age means that trend will continue.
Millions will never see their pension and millions will only receive it for a short time.
It's legalised theft,look just recently at BHS, thousands lost their pension money.
Closer to home, timex were using the pension fund like maxwell did, and a great many timex employees never received their pension.
Private pension companies have been charging extortionate fees to monitor pension funds, and if you kicked the bucket, what was left in the pot went back to the pension company. In some cases the widow might receive a small token pension.
I worked for over fifty years and roughly half of that time I worked seven days a week and as a result paid more national insurance than most.
I'm not complaining about that, that's how the system works . One generation provides for the next.
Anyway that's me finished with my pension rant, I'm going back to the football !
Mon the dee !

Not quite all true, but some decent points

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Totally agree about not being as fast thinking and able to cope with pressure as you get older. Should be possible to take a demotion for reduced pay in line with a reduction in responsibility. The way private pensions were devised they used to take account of the average of the last three years of pay, which traditionally were thought to be the highest years of earning power. don't know if that is still the case.

Be easy for an economist to work that oot with the facts and figures.

Self employed shud pay same nics as the employed now but Govt bottled it.

Increased nics wud help but again a bit unfair as many well aff pay no nics at all.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of giving out a lump sum at retirement rather than auld age pension. Benefit for govt is it gives them a level of certainty about their finances instead of changing things every few years.

Benefit for Joe public is that they are giving responsibility for managing their own affairs and if they die relatively young the money is passed to the next generation.

Another idea but cant remember where I read it is to abolish works contributions to individual pensions and instead have them pay into one centralised pot that everybody gets a share of at retirement.

Ie.....head of angus council....instead of council paying £1200 per month pension contribution for him and him/her alone it goes into centralised pot. Same for the the boy on minimum wage, his £40 per month employee contribution goes into same centralised pot.

Therefore there may be huge differences in wages whilst working but everybody gets the same pension to look forward to.

Idea 1 wud take a huge amount of initial borrowing.

Idea 2 wud take a miracle.

Edit that shud read employer contribution.

eric_sinclair
21-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Just shows you how quiet this board is these days,maist posts for a fitba board is about pensioners.
sad really

BCram
21-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Just shows you how quiet this board is these days,maist posts for a fitba board is about pensioners.
sad really

It's different when the posts are about football. The banter seems to take over and you get short one-liners. this thread seems to me to be about ideas and the people posting are merely giving opinions.

BCram
21-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Be easy for an economist to work that oot with the facts and figures.

Self employed shud pay same nics as the employed now but Govt bottled it.

Increased nics wud help but again a bit unfair as many well aff pay no nics at all.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of giving out a lump sum at retirement rather than auld age pension. Benefit for govt is it gives them a level of certainty about their finances instead of changing things every few years.

Benefit for Joe public is that they are giving responsibility for managing their own affairs and if they die relatively young the money is passed to the next generation.

Another idea but cant remember where I read it is to abolish works contributions to individual pensions and instead have them pay into one centralised pot that everybody gets a share of at retirement.

Ie.....head of angus council....instead of council paying £1200 per month pension contribution for him and him/her alone it goes into centralised pot. Same for the the boy on minimum wage, his £40 per month employee contribution goes into same centralised pot.

Therefore there may be huge differences in wages whilst working but everybody gets the same pension to look forward to.

Idea 1 wud take a huge amount of initial borrowing.

Idea 2 wud take a miracle.

Edit that shud read employer contribution.

Isn't that what happens already about the employer NIC's. The employers pay the percentage of the actual wage, but the state pension is the same for everyone? Ring fencing tax revenues so that they can be used to deliver specific things like pensions and paying for the health service isn't acceptable to politicians. Think it's called hypothecation, where a tax raised in a particular way is used to pay for a particular end.

eric_sinclair
21-07-2017, 01:38 PM
It's different when the posts are about football. The banter seems to take over and you get short one-liners. this thread seems to me to be about ideas and the people posting are merely giving opinions.

It wasna a slight on the topic bcram just a thought on the overall state oh the forum.

BCram
21-07-2017, 01:49 PM
It wasna a slight on the topic bcram just a thought on the overall state oh the forum.

Sorry, misunderstood your comment. It is very frustrating how few people post on here. I think the other forum is easier to use - no adverts etc, and that might be all there is to it.

Returnofrros
21-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Isn't that what happens already about the employer NIC's. The employers pay the percentage of the actual wage, but the state pension is the same for everyone? Ring fencing tax revenues so that they can be used to deliver specific things like pensions and paying for the health service isn't acceptable to politicians. Think it's called hypothecation, where a tax raised in a particular way is used to pay for a particular end.

Yes it is bcram but article I read was about employers contribution to employee schemes.

Instead of contributing to an employee scheme, say £1200 pm for chief exec and £40 per month for apprentice the £1240 wud go in a centralised pot.

I've no been convinced by any argument as to why an employer shud contribute more for once person than another, I know its based on a % of your wage but WHY?

Looked oot my very old wage slips and employers pension contribution was £695 per month on a good month closer to £550 on a bad month. Why shud I have got that large amount paid in for me but lassie on £11k a year gets £60 or £70 per month?