PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Presley 78 LP on Sun records

seriouspie
19-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Although not a pop music fan myself, my girlfriend (well oldster of 77 bless her) has a mint 78 in it's sleeve of Elvis's first LP on the Sun label before he started to record for Capitol. We're told this may fetch a few quid on ebay but haven't a clue if this is worth doing. Any advice welcome.

Cheers SP.

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Need more details, serious. Did Elvis release an LP on Sun? Wasn't his contract sold to RCA?

seriouspie
19-07-2017, 07:08 PM
I don't know Sol....... I'll enquire later and advise on this thread tomorrow.

JoePass
19-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Need more details, serious. Did Elvis release an LP on Sun? Wasn't his contract sold to RCA?

I have Blue Hawaii, the first LP I ever bought.....would never sell it.

seriouspie
19-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I have Blue Hawaii, the first LP I ever bought.....would never sell it.

As mentioned Joe .... I don't know all the details but believe she told me she bought it in 1956.

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I think this maybe a 78 rpm single and because of the similarity in diameter to a 33 rpm LP. They are getting confused l don't think LP's were around when Elvis recorded on Sun.

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 07:19 PM
I think this maybe a 78 rpm single and because of the similarity in diameter to a 33 rpm LP. They are getting confused l don't think LP's were around when Elvis recorded on Sun.

That's what I thought. There's a retro Elvis at Sun LP, but that's on RCA.

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Now I'm 72 years old and the first LP l can remember seeing was The Chirping Crickets, but then l was a massive Buddy Holly fan and still am.

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Now I'm 72 years old and the first LP l can remember seeing was The Chirping Crickets, but then l was a massive Buddy Holly fan and still am.

Buddy Holly's timeless. Most of his work still sounds as fresh as the day it was cut. Terrible loss for music that he died so young.

JoePass
19-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Buddy Holly's timeless. Most of his work still sounds as fresh as the day it was cut. Terrible loss for music that he died so young.

And he played a Fender Strat.....:D

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Did not see him in1958 at the Odeon but saw the Crickets with Bobby Vee at the Demonotfort Hall in 1960 absolutely brilliant and very very loud too. No 100 watt Marshalls back then either.

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2017, 07:55 PM
And he played a Fender Strat.....:D

Have you got 1 of them Strats Mr too, l have a Sunburst Standard Strat just like Buddy's.

JoePass
19-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Have you got 1 of them Strats Mr too, l have a Sunburst Standard Strat just like Buddy's.

Sunburst red Mexican, not as good as yours B)

uysapie
19-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Sun never released an LP, only singles. Elvis did not record for Capitol, his contract was purchased by RCA. The first LP in this country was Elvis, now referred to as Rock N Roll no 1. His UK singles initially were on HMV ( I have Lawdy Miss Clawdy/ Trying to to get to you).

I would also think it is a 78 record.

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Sunburst red Mexican, not as good as yours B)
AH you have the Hank Marvin Shadows Strat.

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Elvis [...] contract was purchased by RCA.

... and Col. Parker was made full-time manager. For Parker, Elvis and Sam Philips (Sun owner) this deal was the game changer.

uysapie
19-07-2017, 10:12 PM
... and Col. Parker was made full-time manager. For Parker, Elvis and Sam Philips (Sun owner) this deal was the game changer.

And music changed forever.

uysapie
19-07-2017, 10:23 PM

First LP I remember was Rock around the Clock ( too young then to see the film!)

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Sun never released an LP, only singles. Elvis did not record for Capitol, his contract was purchased by RCA. The first LP in this country was Elvis, now referred to as Rock N Roll no 1. His UK singles initially were on HMV ( I have Lawdy Miss Clawdy/ Trying to to get to you).

I would also think it is a 78 record.

Further to my original post. I misunderstood Margaret ....... you are correct Uyspa.

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 01:07 PM
First LP I remember was Rock around the Clock ( too young then to see the film!)

This era I remember very well. Saw the film Blackboard Jungle in Clacton while on holiday. Bill Haley and the Comets played the signature tune and the film as I remember starred Glenn Ford, Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow and Sal Mineo. I can't remember anybody else but the signature tune really started proper Rock n' Roll in this country and made Haley the main man for a while. The film you refer to came a little later and Haley and the Comets were the main stars.

uysapie
20-07-2017, 01:37 PM
This era I remember very well. Saw the film Blackboard Jungle in Clacton while on holiday. Bill Haley and the Comets played the signature tune and the film as I remember starred Glenn Ford, Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow and Sal Mineo. I can't remember anybody else but the signature tune really started proper Rock n' Roll in this country and made Haley the main man for a while. The film you refer to came a little later and Haley and the Comets were the main stars.

Then followed a rash of cheap rock n roll films until along came The Girl Can't Help It. great days.

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Then followed a rash of cheap rock n roll films until along came The Girl Can't Help It. great days.

Won't dwell long on this uysapie but they were great days (Down the 'Vic before it became the Locarno) with Al Washbrook's band and others. To me, the Beatles were rubbish in comparison to the Yanks. You could hear every word spoken and the likes of Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran et al were brilliant. Even though Little Richard was not quite as good, his band with the sax's made a great sound.

Makes me smile sometimes when I see today's youngsters attempting to jive ....... not a bloody clue. The one English guy I really liked was Donegan although Lonnie did seem to pinch a lot of American written songs. If you want to see him perform 'Grand Coulee Dam' google Youtube to see the clip ...brilliant.

uysapie
20-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Won't dwell long on this uysapie but they were great days (Down the 'Vic before it became the Locarno) with Al Washbrook's band and others. To me, the Beatles were rubbish in comparison to the Yanks. You could hear every word spoken and the likes of Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran et al were brilliant. Even though Little Richard was not quite as good, his band with the sax's made a great sound.

Makes me smile sometimes when I see today's youngsters attempting to jive ....... not a bloody clue. The one English guy I really liked was Donegan although Lonnie did seem to pinch a lot of American written songs. If you want to see him perform 'Grand Coulee Dam' google Youtube to see the clip ...brilliant.

As you say, not to dwell on it but Tommy Steele was my English favourite, never did like the Beatles.

Bridg4d_Pie_
20-07-2017, 02:43 PM

I met Lonnie Donnegan in Nequests Music Shop at the side of the Theatre Royal when he starred in the Pantomime at the Theatre in 1960 I believe, it was Lonnie and later Buddy Holly who got me into playing the guitar. As I remember Lonnie played Buttons in Aladin I went 2 or 3 times a week and sat in the Gods to watch him perform, a class act.
Have to say you are totally wrong about the Beatles though the group I played in were invited to Apple Records to make a demo disc of our own material sadly we did not make it but the Beatles were as song writers were excellent, as performers sadly we missed the best of them that was reserved for the Hamburg days, as we were told when we performed at the Star and Top Ten Club, they tore those clubs apart.

JoePass
20-07-2017, 02:45 PM
As you say, not to dwell on it but Tommy Steele was my English favourite, never did like the Beatles.

Got The autographs of Tommy Steele and The Beatles when they were in Blackpool in the 60's.

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 04:16 PM
I met Lonnie Donnegan in Nequests Music Shop at the side of the Theatre Royal when he starred in the Pantomime at the Theatre in 1960 I believe, it was Lonnie and later Buddy Holly who got me into playing the guitar. As I remember Lonnie played Buttons in Aladin I went 2 or 3 times a week and sat in the Gods to watch him perform, a class act.
Have to say you are totally wrong about the Beatles though the group I played in were invited to Apple Records to make a demo disc of our own material sadly we did not make it but the Beatles were as song writers were excellent, as performers sadly we missed the best of them that was reserved for the Hamburg days, as we were told when we performed at the Star and Top Ten Club, they tore those clubs apart.

All a matter of opinion I suppose Bridg4d. Uggh!......Tommy Steele 'Rock with the Caveman' very tinny and poor! A far better entertainer than musician. I may be wrong but I thought Tommy played Buttons in that pantomime. I remember Nequests music shop but I thought Jack Brentnall's music shop was joined on to the Theatre Royal. Whatever, Jack was chairman of Forest for a spell I seem to remember.

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Got The autographs of Tommy Steele and The Beatles when they were in Blackpool in the 60's.

Still both rubbish compared to the Yanks Joe!!

seriouspie
20-07-2017, 04:22 PM
All a matter of opinion I suppose Bridg4d. Uggh!......Tommy Steele 'Rock with the Caveman' very tinny and poor! A far better entertainer than musician. I may be wrong but I thought Tommy played Buttons in that pantomime. I remember Nequests music shop but I thought Jack Brentnall's music shop was joined on to the Theatre Royal. Whatever, Jack was chairman of Forest for a spell I seem to remember.

Continued ...... I'm still before your time Bridg4d. You won't remember Alan Roper would you? He sang a bit and played the bass in Al Washbrook's band and was in the year ahead of me at the Bluecoat. Still alive I believe, came from Bilborough. I'm talking the mid 50's!