PDA

View Full Version : Notts vs. Forest Match Thread

SwalePie
19-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I know we don't have a commentary available tonight so if any attendees can post in here that would be helpful for those not able to be there.

Also, here's info and links from the OS on how to follow the game too....
__________________________________________________ __

"Supporters not at this evening's pre-season friendly can keep track of events from afar.The Magpies take on the Reds at Meadow Lane (7.45pm) and fans can stay up to date using the following channels:

Twitter (https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC): Build-up, match updates and reaction

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/nottscountyfootballclub): Live build-up, key updates and reaction

Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/nottscountyfc/?hl=en): Photos

Starting XI: Collin, Tootle, Duffy, Hollis, Jones, Hewitt, Alessandra, Trialist, Ameobi, Stead, Hawkridge
Subs: Trialist (GK), Milsom, Forte, Saunders, Dickinson, Smith, Hodge (T), Howes, Dearle, Richards, Dunn.
Please note – you do not need an account to access any of the club's social media pages. Simply follow the links above.
iFollow coverage will be available from Notts' Sky Bet League Two season-opener at Coventry City onwards."

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 07:05 PM
I know we don't have a commentary available tonight so if any attendees can post in here that would be helpful for those not able to be there.

Also, here's info and links from the OS on how to follow the game too....
__________________________________________________ __

"Supporters not at this evening's pre-season friendly can keep track of events from afar.The Magpies take on the Reds at Meadow Lane (7.45pm) and fans can stay up to date using the following channels:

Twitter (https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC): Build-up, match updates and reaction

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/nottscountyfootballclub): Live build-up, key updates and reaction

Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/nottscountyfc/?hl=en): Photos

Starting XI: Collin, Tootle, Duffy, Hollis, Jones, Hewitt, Alessandra, Trialist, Ameobi, Stead, Hawkridge
Subs: Trialist (GK), Milsom, Forte, Saunders, Dickinson, Smith, Hodge (T), Howes, Dearle, Richards, Dunn.
Please note – you do not need an account to access any of the club's social media pages. Simply follow the links above.
iFollow coverage will be available from Notts' Sky Bet League Two season-opener at Coventry City onwards."

After 16 minutes Notts have had 3 good attacks, Forest 13.....one-way traffic?

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 07:07 PM
After 16 minutes Notts have had 3 good attacks, Forest 13.....one-way traffic?

1-1 shots on target.....0-4 shots off target......no goals

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 07:18 PM
30 minutes no goals.........9 v 22 good attacks....1-1 shots on target.....2-6 shots off target

CmonUSexyStylishPies
19-07-2017, 07:29 PM
0-0, Forest the better team but it's nowhere near as one sided as many predicted. Notts should have scored at least twice.

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 07:35 PM
HT - O-0....Notts definitely in the game now

21-29 good attacks, 2-1 corners, 2-2 shots on target, 4-7 shots off target

CmonUSexyStylishPies
19-07-2017, 07:57 PM
0-1 to the red pigs

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 08:05 PM
60 mins 0-1 to Forest, 32-44 good attacks, 4-3 corners, 3-4 shots on target, 5-6 off target

CmonUSexyStylishPies
19-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Trialists on the bench so who comes on first? Alan Smith upfront.

1862flag
19-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Trialists on the bench so who comes on first? Alan Smith upfront.

Who is Smiffy on for ? Any more subs yet ?

Oldstripy
19-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Notts make two sets of three changes.

Three changes for Notts. Off come Hawkridge, Stead and Jones to be replaced by Hodge (T), Smith and Dickinson.

More Notts changes. Off come Collin, Alessandra, Ameobi and the trialist...

Four more changes - youngsters Dunn, Dearle, Richards
and Howes replacing Tootle, Duffy, Hollis and Hewitt.

St Kitts Magpie
19-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Three changes for Notts. Off come Hawkridge, Stead and Jones to be replaced by Hodge (T), Smith and Dickinson.

And of course we are going to learn alot about smith and dickinson...

Any sign of the Bird (T) ? The one we were going to find out more about in this match

Oldstripy
19-07-2017, 08:21 PM
This evening's attendance is 12,209.

SmiffyPie
19-07-2017, 08:23 PM

More Notts changes. Off come Collin, Alessandra, Ameobi and the trialist...

Four more changes - youngsters Dunn, Dearle, Richards
and Howes replacing Tootle, Duffy, Hollis and Hewitt.Is exactly why people should not get excited about friendlies. Or in fact read anything into them.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
19-07-2017, 08:32 PM
0-2...

uysapie
19-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Hardly surprising.

tarquinbeech
19-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Finished 0-2...Notts had plenty of attacking intent and matched Forest with possession in the oppo half, however Forest looked more threatening around the box with over 12 extra "good attacks" on the screen.......... and got twice as many shots as Notts.

No idea if we just couldn't hold the ball up or whether Forest were snuffing out the chances but I'm eager to read the match reports later.

Great graphics from Bet365

Oldstripy
19-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Well it was not the catastrophe some were predicting and Nolan got to look at the trialists and youngsters against better opposition.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
19-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Who wore 18 for Notts?

DaveSmithRules
19-07-2017, 09:03 PM
I thought we did alright tonight tbh. We looked solid enough against tough opposition. Stand-outs for me were Hawkridge (who got in plenty of crosses), Dan Jones (who looked much better than Dickenson ever has) and Elliot Hewitt.

navypie
19-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Just got back from the game, I enjoyed it , the gulf in class was obvious . I am not going to go through how they all played just to say I thought Hewitt played well and seems to be maturing into a good footballer , if only he had buried that header in the first half ! Oh and I know its not hard but Jones , what an improvement on Dickenhead .

Bohinen
I thought we did alright tonight tbh. We looked solid enough against tough opposition. Stand-outs for me were Hawkridge (who got in plenty of crosses), Dan Jones (who looked much better than Dickenson ever has) and Elliot Hewitt.

We didn't score. If you don't score, you don't win football matches. But I'm sure Jacob will have a parallel universe theory in which you can.

CmonUSexyStylishPies

Not sure about Hawkridge, he looked solid if a bit limited.

Thought Ameobi was a handful, Jones and Allesandra decent. Didn't think much to the trialist in midfield.

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Do you think KN has what it takes to turn this rag-tag motley crew into a team capable of a playoff push?

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
19-07-2017, 09:21 PM
KN Couldn't really combat their 3-6-1 formation due to lack of personnel..acres of space wide for Forest. Looked like he switched to a 3-4-3 from the family stand for the last 25mins of the first half which brought some joy and chances but went back to 4-4-2 in the second.

Who was No 18 for Notts?

navypie
19-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Not sure about Hawkridge, he looked solid if a bit limited.

Thought Ameobi was a handful, Jones and Allesandra decent. Didn't think much to the trialist in midfield.

Would agree , don't know who the trialist was in midfield but if he is the best we can find I don't hold out much hope .

DaveSmithRules
19-07-2017, 09:22 PM
I think with 3-4 first team ready signings it's definitely possible. Like many i'd like to see them asap, but i'd also rather wait rather than fill the squad with rammell. Even if we only get another 1-2 in permanently before the season actually starts.

navypie
19-07-2017, 09:26 PM
The attendance tonight , 12,202 I think they announced , was the attendance against Portsmouth 12,500 ? because there certainly looked more tonight than against Pompey .

queenslandpie
19-07-2017, 09:29 PM
I think with 3-4 first team ready signings it's definitely possible. Like many i'd like to see them asap, but i'd also rather wait rather than fill the squad with rammell. Even if we only get another 1-2 in permanently before the season actually starts.

I couldn't agree more. Once you've spent your money you've spent it. If you haven't you've got options. It's just a pity we can't get players on buy now pay later!

SolSigns
19-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Agree about the rammell! I'm hoping AH will be better at cherry-picking than his predecessor.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
19-07-2017, 09:31 PM
The attendance tonight , 12,202 I think they announced , was the attendance against Portsmouth 12,500 ? because there certainly looked more tonight than against Pompey .

12,184 so we beat it tonight by 18.

Notts78
19-07-2017, 09:35 PM
My read on the game is as follows.... Tootle and Jones were at times exposed out wide, but kept to their guns, so fair play. Duffy was better than Hollis, he might not win many headers but is brave as an ox. Hewitt was on his own in the middle as the trialist didn't offer a great deal. The 2 wide lads at times had joy going forward, and I think in League 2 they will create. Ameobi was the pick of the front 2, his first touch at times was utter class. None of the subs stood out, Forte showed exceptional pace on a couple of occasions and should have done better with his big chance.
All in all a decent game against a technically good side who at times took the piss with their passing and movement. Luckily the finishing was up to standard. Cummins had 2 glaring opportunities of note in the first half. Game could easily have been 5-3...
Oh and if there was only 12k there, I will show AH my arse.

navypie
19-07-2017, 09:36 PM
12,184 so we beat it tonight by 18.

Many thanks ,I thought there was more tonight even if was only 18 :)

Elite_Pie
19-07-2017, 10:15 PM
A better performance that I expected to be honest, especially when you consider that from those on the pitch in last 20 odd minutes only Milsom would be expected to make the first team. Apart from Forte and Dicko, the other 8 were a coach, triallists and youth players. We created enough decent chances to have spoiled their clean sheet.

navypie
20-07-2017, 04:54 AM
My read on the game is as follows.... Tootle and Jones were at times exposed out wide, but kept to their guns, so fair play. Duffy was better than Hollis, he might not win many headers but is brave as an ox. Hewitt was on his own in the middle as the trialist didn't offer a great deal. The 2 wide lads at times had joy going forward, and I think in League 2 they will create. Ameobi was the pick of the front 2, his first touch at times was utter class. None of the subs stood out, Forte showed exceptional pace on a couple of occasions and should have done better with his big chance.
All in all a decent game against a technically good side who at times took the piss with their passing and movement. Luckily the finishing was up to standard. Cummins had 2 glaring opportunities of note in the first half. Game could easily have been 5-3...

I thought it looked closer to 13k if not more judging by the Pompey game .

Proudpie
20-07-2017, 07:05 AM
Decent game to watch for a training match.

Forest's extra class was abundantly obvious. The way a Championship team controls the ball first time, the pass and move is different class to anything in L2 or L1. They always seemed to have another gear to go up to.

I know Notts were up against a vastly superior team but their lack of pace all over the pitch (despite the promise of a fast exciting team), lack of goal threat and at times an all at sea defence really concerns me.

AH stated recently that anything less than the playoffs would be a disappointment.
From what I have seen so far Notts are nowhere near that level. Another 4 or 5 better players may address that though.

Overall a good game to watch in a good atmosphere.

sidders
20-07-2017, 07:24 AM

What makes you think it would be worth looking at?

upthemaggies
20-07-2017, 08:14 AM
I thimk the attendance last night must be the biggest for a Meadow Lane friendly in 40 odd years, it was slightly more than than the numbers who turned out for Sven. I guess the main reason for it is that Fword fans have got their enthusiasm back following their takeover.

ancientpie
20-07-2017, 08:44 AM
I thimk the attendance last night must be the biggest for a Meadow Lane friendly in 40 odd years, it was slightly more than than the numbers who turned out for Sven. I guess the main reason for it is that Fword fans have got their enthusiasm back following their takeover.

A good turnout from the reds but also from Notts, I believe that officially they had approx 6,500 & we had approx 5,700 (we know there were a few reds hidden amongst us) this means that nigh on 100% of our average home crowd turned up & about 33% of theirs, very good for a friendly.

Elite_Pie
20-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Decent game to watch for a training match.

Forest's extra class was abundantly obvious. The way a Championship team controls the ball first time, the pass and move is different class to anything in L2 or L1. They always seemed to have another gear to go up to.

Difficult to know what to make of their prospects after last night's game. I take your point about the impressive passing and movement, but most of the neat little triangle stuff was in their own half where they always had a numerical advantage. They enjoyed the bulk of possession, and passed it out from the back with ease, but seemed to overplay it a bit up front. Most of their corners ended up being played back to the halfway line. What must be worrying for them is the amount of good chances we created with a weakened team. I doubt Championship strikers will be as wasteful as our lot were!

slack_pie
20-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My thoughts on the game:

- Forest had a lot of joy down the flanks, with our fullbacks regularly exposed. Doubt we'll encounter opposition like them in the league though.

- Ameobi is a beast. Great player at L2 level. But perhaps him and Stead are too similar. Why not play Forte for his pace and rotate Stead and Ameobi?

- Hawkridge looked alright. Got in a few decent crosses and looked fairly comfortable on the ball. Should be fine in L2.

- Our lack of strength in depth was really exposed last night. We don't want to find ourselves in a position where substitutions weaken the side.

- Despite having no pace upfront and not much possession, we created a decent amount of chances and should really have scored 3.

ancientpie
20-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Difficult to know what to make of their prospects after last night's game. I take your point about the impressive passing and movement, but most of the neat little triangle stuff was in their own half where they always had a numerical advantage. They enjoyed the bulk of possession, and passed it out from the back with ease, but seemed to overplay it a bit up front. Most of their corners ended up being played back to the halfway line. What must be worrying for them is the amount of good chances we created with a weakened team. I doubt Championship strikers will be as wasteful as our lot were!

Always very difficult to judge a teams prospects in a friendly but I was very surprised at the amount of clear chances we created, like most I went half expecting a right tonking but it was never that.

deadyoyomagpie
20-07-2017, 11:18 AM
- Ameobi is a beast. Great player at L2 level. But perhaps him and Stead are too similar. Why not play Forte for his pace and rotate Stead and Ameobi?

I don't think Stead and Ameobi are the same type of striker at all. Stead is best when running towards goal, he's a great finisher. But he's not good in the air and seems weak at times.

Ameobi is good as a hold up man and can play effectively with his back to goal. He has some lovely touches to put other played in beyond him. He is a a beast and will be important for us.

Forte has plenty of pace, but we all saw last night that his finishing is poor. I guess that's why he keeps getting played on the wing? He did put a couple of nice crosses in.

I think we need another finisher and another target man. #greedy

countygump
20-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Thoughts of Chairman Nolo post Forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufuXDOK_6w

Romanis
20-07-2017, 02:03 PM
We won. How boring...

Romanis
20-07-2017, 02:03 PM
But you'll get Grant and that's good.

countygump
20-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Lewis Alessandra, (don't call me Sandra), post match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFK_4QSw-Hg

countygump
20-07-2017, 02:16 PM
So now we know.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/watch-were-torches-shone-notts-221670

Acido
20-07-2017, 03:17 PM
We won. How boring...

Im confused here now... when fans say Notts on here are they talking about County or Florist ?. ;D

navypie
20-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Im confused here now... when fans say Notts on here are they talking about County or Florist ?. ;D

County , Forest don't like being called " Notts " they prefer Nottingham

Vladpie
20-07-2017, 03:44 PM

You should NEVER refer to the red scum as Notts, we are Notts they are Forest. It irritates all Nottingham folk when broadcasters who should know better, refer to 'Notts Florest'

Acido
20-07-2017, 04:09 PM
County , Forest don't like being called " Notts " they prefer Nottingham

I know they don't like being called Notts lol, but I can't understand why it annoys them and you County fans as well.
But then again, I am a West Yorkie. :P

SwalePie
20-07-2017, 04:10 PM
I know they don't like being called Notts lol, but I can't understand why it annoys them and you County fans as well.
But then again, I am a West Yorkie. :P

It doesn't annoy Notts fans, we just know how much it annoys Nottingham Florists fans so carry on!