PDA

View Full Version : O/T Anyone been to any good gigs lately?

kettering_baggie
19-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I really enjoy live music and try to get to some good gigs from time to time. Recently been to see Wilko Johnson, Albert Lee, Thea Gilmore and Ian Hunter (of Mott The Hoople fame). All were outstanding and Albert Lee exceptional, what a guitarist! I am hoping to see Joanne Shaw Taylor later in the year; reputed to be an excellent blues guitarist, anyone on here seen her?

I must admit that each year I am tempted not to renew my season ticket and to spend the money on going to more gigs instead!

mickd1961
19-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I've got tickets to see Lady Gaga in October in Brum.

It'll be the second time I've seen her,superb the first time and one of the best performers I've ever seen.

The Jam at Bingley Hall,Stafford in 82 will always be tops with me though I think.

Joy_Division
19-07-2017, 09:53 PM
All the artists I would be willing to go and see are either dead or defunct now. ie. Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Jefferson Airplane.
Thank goodness there are still some decent stuff out there I can listen to. The Post Rock and Math Rock bands. ie. Blueneck, Mogwai, Toe, Minus The Bear etc.:D

albion68
20-07-2017, 06:20 AM
I really enjoy live music and try to get to some good gigs from time to time. Recently been to see Wilko Johnson, Albert Lee, Thea Gilmore and Ian Hunter (of Mott The Hoople fame). All were outstanding and Albert Lee exceptional, what a guitarist! I am hoping to see Joanne Shaw Taylor later in the year; reputed to be an excellent blues guitarist, anyone on here seen her?

I must admit that each year I am tempted not to renew my season ticket and to spend the money on going to more gigs instead!. You mention mott the hopple ketts,when people talk about bands I think mott are usually overlooked . Me included , hunter watts Ralph . What a guitarist mick Ronson was ,with Bowie also. sadly missed and sometimes forgotten.

bradleybaggie50
21-07-2017, 11:19 AM
went to hull few weeks ago to watch ELO brilliant

Whicka_Mon
21-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Saw Maiden in Nottingham, Brum and London in May. Seen them on every tour since 1983. The best was Donington in 88.

Evewolf65
21-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Saw the Stone Roses at Wembley Stadium back in June absolutely fantastic!!

Newcy Wolf
21-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Saw Maiden in Nottingham, Brum and London in May. Seen them on every tour since 1983. The best was Donington in 88.

Whicka mon, I was there in 88 too.
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is something I'll probably never forget.

Top band.

Evewolf65
21-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Whicka mon, I was there in 88 too.
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is something I'll probably never forget.

Top band.

I was at Donington in 88 Megadeth and Guns 'n' Roses carried the day for me, never been much of a Maiden fan. But the whole day was massively overshadowed by the tragedy that ultimately changed the event forever and for the better.
RIP Alan Dick and Landon Siggers.

Whicka_Mon
22-07-2017, 09:36 AM
I was at Donington in 88 Megadeth and Guns 'n' Roses carried the day for me, never been much of a Maiden fan. But the whole day was massively overshadowed by the tragedy that ultimately changed the event forever and for the better.

Correct mate it was overshadowed massively. I am still a Maiden Fan Club member. There's a Football thread on their official forum. In 2013 when Maiden played there it was the 25th anniversary of that tragedy we hung flowers and a sign on the main entrance to Download in memory of the two. I have pictures somewhere i'll try and find em.

Albionic68
22-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Head of security's account of what happened back in '88 linked below.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/head-of-security-for-monster-of-rock-festival-248862

BaggieBlood
23-07-2017, 01:48 PM
The better half got offered some free tickets to guns and roses at London stadium a few weeks back but the logistics didn't let it happen.

It's the wife who prefers live music more these days.

Having said that omd and blondie are playing over the road soon so may try and get tickets for them.

Q165
23-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Thing of the past now for me. Last were probably Nils Lofgren and also BB King both at Westcliff Pavilion. A mate of mine who went blind was a massive Family fan. I recall taking him to Hammersmith Odeon to see Roger Chapman (?). He loved that gig.