PDA

View Full Version : Academy

blades58
20-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Brilliant init!

Shame what happens after we get them through the academy like, but still

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/report-sheffield-united-best-outside-premier-league-in-producing-top-flight-talent-1-8659410

sharrowboy2
20-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Where's ours? I thought we spent millions on the academy over the last ten years.

BlockD
20-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Brilliant init!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/report-sheffield-united-best-outside-premier-league-in-producing-top-flight-talent-1-8659410

It is a very productive Academy,one parents around the country are happy to send their kids to,it also has permanent buildings

rodcurrie
20-07-2017, 08:25 AM
It is a very productive Academy,one parents around the country are happy to send their kids to,it also has permanent buildingsDid ya go to Matlock Blockers? Tufty weren't there was he? Just shows what happens when the boss aint there,Owd jake loses his unbeaten record.UTCB

BlockD
20-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Did ya go to Matlock Blockers? Tufty weren't there was he? Just shows what happens when the boss aint there,Owd jake loses his unbeaten record.UTCB

Yes i did,very insipid display,but credit Matlocks goalie,he pulled off a couple of very good saves when it was 0-0 and United were on top,good to see Duffy playing,he is just brilliant at finding space even when surrounded by defenders,young David had a very so so night

Jake Wright Junior man of the 1st half,must have got a knock because he didnt reappear after the break

rodcurrie
20-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Yes i did,very insipid display,but credit Matlocks goalie,he pulled off a couple of very good saves when it was 0-0 and United were on top,good to see Duffy playing,he is just brilliant at finding space even when surrounded by defenders,young David had a very so so night

Jake Wright Junior man of the 1st half,must have got a knock because he didnt reappear after the breakPhil Barnes is the Matlock keeper,dinyt ya recognise him? His brother used to play cricket for Treeton and his Mum&Dad are luvly folk.UTCB

BlockD
20-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Phil Barnes is the Matlock keeper,dinyt ya recognise him? His brother used to play cricket for Treeton and his Mum&Dad are luvly folk.UTCB

I thought he looked familiar

Mansfield_Blade
20-07-2017, 09:00 AM
SSN has just covered the story, but only showed the top 7! It must be very embarrassing that someone outside the Premier League who isn't even a Cat 1 academy is at Number 8

JosteinTime
20-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Brilliant init!

It's crazy that we've come above Chelsea, the amount they throw at young players.

Currieisgod
20-07-2017, 12:07 PM
It seems to me that the likes of Chelsea just churn out academy players at a loss as many of them end up plying their trade in the lower leagues and the fact that they are or were on Chelsea's books keeps their value higher.

It can be looked at in different ways, either we are still a selling club who will always sell our best players (Currie, Hamson, Deane and the like) or do we look at it like we have a productive academy and benefit from sell ons over the medium to longer term.

The only stumbling block to the latter would be if (or when) we actually get into the Premier League, then we would actually need to keep the type of players we are currently always looking to sell and profit from,

Carpe_diem
20-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Whether we actually benefit or not remains to be seen. If the add-ons we get allow us to be more competitive, then yes. If they just go to servicing debt or replacing talent with lesser players, then I'd argue no.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
20-07-2017, 12:44 PM
We are just a puppy farm.

GrayBlade
20-07-2017, 12:51 PM
We are just a puppy farm.

Good pedigree though.

Carpe_diem
20-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Good pedigree though.

Very much so, but whom does that benefit? It's good for the premier league teams, and brings us in a few quid, but is it actually worth the bother?

Unless our academy is working for us, I would argue no. It's not incumbent on us to service the needs of the Premier League and their desire for British players.

GrayBlade
20-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Very much so, but whom does that benefit? It's good for the premier league teams, and brings us in a few quid, but is it actually worth the bother?

Unless our academy is working for us, I would argue no. It's not incumbent on us to service the needs of the Premier League and their desire for British players.

We should try to emulate Southampton C_D. A similar club with a great academy, but they seem to use it as a cornerstone for the first team, if not directly by having their own good young players in the squad, then indirectecty by financing quality signings from their sales.

Some would argue that they've also got more financial clout and this enables them to be more bullish with the academy, but if that's the case we should explore every avenue to get similar backing. There can't be many more attactive UK propositions than United right now when the local and world media has been waxing lyrical about our, performances, ground, academy and most of all support.