PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Gibson part two

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 11:55 AM
It just seems a shame to lose this lad because at the moment Everton appear to be a "bigger" club than us.

You would never imagine a situation like this under the KK era, first session or under Sir Bobby. No player then would entertain it.

I wondered at his age what the rules were and could we have inserted a buy back clause as the big four cover themselves with before they allow a possible future talent to move on, usually in their cases because of the numbers on their books. i.e. they can't keep them all and some will prosper and others fall by the wayside.

pboromag
20-07-2017, 12:28 PM
how many players did they bring through

didn't kk do away with the reserve sides ??

we very rarely bring through local talent
there was one season I remember I'm sure Southampton had more geordies there reserve side or some stat like that anyway

there was once athread where we had a team of geordies from the prem who we had missed out on ,whilst I'm sure we only had 2 in our team shola being one and I'm sure staylor the other (a southerner really )

Zippity
20-07-2017, 12:32 PM
If he's a local lad who wants to play for someone else he can **** right off anyway.

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 12:35 PM
how many players did they bring through

didn't kk do away with the reserve sides ??

we very rarely bring through local talent
there was one season I remember I'm sure Southampton had more geordies there reserve side or some stat like that anyway

there was once athread where we had a team of geordies from the prem who we had missed out on ,whilst I'm sure we only had 2 in our team shola being one and I'm sure staylor the other (a southerner really )

Taylor was only a southerner by the fact that his Geordie parents were temporarily darn sarf.

If a cat has kittens in the dog kennel they aren't puppies they are still kittens.

Jammy89
20-07-2017, 02:51 PM
It just seems a shame to lose this lad because at the moment Everton appear to be a "bigger" club than us.

You would never imagine a situation like this under the KK era, first session or under Sir Bobby. No player then would entertain it.

I wondered at his age what the rules were and could we have inserted a buy back clause as the big four cover themselves with before they allow a possible future talent to move on, usually in their cases because of the numbers on their books. i.e. they can't keep them all and some will prosper and others fall by the wayside.

It's a massive shame but at the minute - I really hope it'll change - Everton are bring players through their academy and there also challenging at the top end of the prem.

In regards to rules and inserted buy back clauses - we can do nothing. He's not signed a professional contract so all that is being negotiated is our compensation.

Massive massive shame.

ghostrider
20-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Just remember we got Brendan Galloway from them, who equally could be a top prospect.

waalsendmick
20-07-2017, 03:20 PM
KK did NOT do away with the reserves!

how many times has this tired one been done?

ghostrider
20-07-2017, 03:23 PM
KK did NOT do away with the reserves!

how many times has this tired one been done?

Yes he did.

waalsendmick
20-07-2017, 04:09 PM
he didn't!

he wanted to preserve the st James park pitch, so he staged reserve games at alternative venues.

he was threatened by the fa or football league or whoever, that failure to play your reserve fixtures at your ground, would result in expulsion from the reserve league.

KK wanted to protect the pitch because of the brand of football his team played, the NUFC board (I.E. shepherd and Hall) backed him on this, and our reserve team was expelled from the then central league.

meanwhile man Utd and Alex Ferguson gained permission to play all of their reserve fixtures at Gigg lane, home of Bury FC.

when things went tits up, Fat Freddy allowed the myth to be, our fringe players weren't up to it, because KK cancelled the reserves.

in reality, there is not, and has not been for many a year, any such thing as a reserve team.

nobody plays their fringe players in 2nd team games, so KK made a stance, one backed by his board of directors, one that had an implication that made little or no difference to the 1st team.

I'm sure this has been said a thousand times (on this forum alone) bit let's not let the facts spoil a good myth

pboromag
20-07-2017, 04:14 PM
nope he dumped the reserves
Blyth Spartans striker Paul Brayson says careers were wrecked at Newcastle United by the decision to dump the reserves in the late 1990's.

It was a move by Kevin Keegan that many feel set the club's youth system back several years and prevented the development of young Geordie talent.

Kenny Dalglish restored the reserves in 1997 but the former reserve and youth team hotshot felt it was too late.

Brayson told the Evening Chronicle: "It was a shocking decision really.

"I was fortunate in a way because I was still young enough to play for the youth team.

"But you would see players slightly older than me only having a game every few weeks."

Brayson did make two appearances in the Coca-Cola Cup but chances were limited as United came agonisingly close to winning the title in 1996.

He added: "It stopped players progressing in their careers because they weren't getting regular football.

"And I think it made a lot of younger lads think twice about joining the club."

even carver once talked about why we missd out on carrick

they had no reserve team and they asked carver once he leaves the academy where does he play

carver told them the first team

they said your joking they had the entertainers at the time so he went elsewhere

waalsendmick
20-07-2017, 04:32 PM
so, Brayson failed to make the grade because NUFC didn't have a reserve team?

even though he couldn't get a break at any if the other clubs that did either?

he simply wasn't good enough, no reserve team would turn him into a player that was (see Michael Chopra)

Carrick is just another in a long line of one's that slipped the net, all clubs have them.

reserve teams used to be used to house players who could not get into the 1st team and to bring players back from injury, now they are a place in between youth team and 1st team, a place that does absolutely nothing to develop players as they do not play competitive football.

Keegan dis not do anything that hampered the development of NUFC, on fact it was quote the opposite, he made us the club we are today, rather than one languishing neear the foot of the 2nd tier, with a dilapidated stadium that was only half full.

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 05:09 PM
nope he dumped the reserves
Blyth Spartans striker Paul Brayson says careers were wrecked at Newcastle United by the decision to dump the reserves in the late 1990's.

It was a move by Kevin Keegan that many feel set the club's youth system back several years and prevented the development of young Geordie talent.

Kenny Dalglish restored the reserves in 1997 but the former reserve and youth team hotshot felt it was too late.

Brayson told the Evening Chronicle: "It was a shocking decision really.

"I was fortunate in a way because I was still young enough to play for the youth team.

"But you would see players slightly older than me only having a game every few weeks."

Brayson did make two appearances in the Coca-Cola Cup but chances were limited as United came agonisingly close to winning the title in 1996.

He added: "It stopped players progressing in their careers because they weren't getting regular football.

"And I think it made a lot of younger lads think twice about joining the club."

even carver once talked about why we missd out on carrick

they had no reserve team and they asked carver once he leaves the academy where does he play

carver told them the first team

they said your joking they had the entertainers at the time so he went elsewhere

Have you seen the list of teams he's played for Paul Brayson that is. 13 of them and most going downhill in grade and rarely more than a couple of years at any of them. If they had wanted to progress and were anyway near good enough they would have been snapped up.

pboromag
20-07-2017, 05:35 PM
i dont care who he played for the point is we dint have a reserve side

as per carvers comments as well

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 05:43 PM
i dont care who he played for the point is we dint have a reserve side

as per carvers comments as well

WaalsendMick's version happens to be the correct and truthful one no matter how many care to run the club and KK over the matter.

You must remember the protests and the reasons for them when Fergie was allowed to get away with breaching the rules. It was loudly complained about by several clubs besides us.

waalsendmick
20-07-2017, 05:43 PM
my point was, Keegan didn't dump the reserves. the club backed his stance and they were expelled as a result.

not Keegan fault, there lies the myth.

pboromag
20-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Michael Carrick returns to his native Newcastle today, determined to notch up a first win at St James' Park and help fire Manchester United back into title contention.

Carrick has never won at Toon with West Ham, Tottenham and United, but the midfielder is set to be recalled to the starting line-up by Sir Alex Ferguson for tonight's encounter.

Born in Wallsend, Carrick could, ironically, have been lining up for Newcastle against United today, had Kevin Keegan not disbanded the reserve section in his first spell at St James' Park.

That forced Carrick, then 15, to leave the north-east and head to West Ham, because he felt he would not make it on Tyneside because of the lack of opportunities for young players.

the above is from the mirror

thsi si from the nufc blog
When Kevin Keegan was at the club, he did away with the Reserve side, and we never could understand that, but it cost Newcastle a few top youngsters at the time, because where were they going to get a game as they progressed through the club, from the U18s?

John Carver was involved when Newcastle could have had Michael Carrick at Newcastle, when he was playing for Wallsend Boys Club at the time (1996), but instead he went to West Ham United, simply because he could see himself progressing and getting games down south.

i think i remeber it as these

whatever happened he did us a lot of harm and put our youth footy back years

waalsendmick
20-07-2017, 06:00 PM
I am fully aware of all the media released stories.

that is why it is a myth....

I give up!

nobody is denying the reserves were disbanded, not the fact it was on Keegan's watch.

I am merely pointing out, it was not solely his decision, but shepherd and hall are happy for him to shoulder the blame.

pboromag
20-07-2017, 06:07 PM
im sure the dummy spitting kk would have walked if he hadnt agreed to it

lets face it he is a serial coward and walks whenever he doesnt get his way
city england us etc tec

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 06:11 PM

I give up!

nobody is denying the reserves were disbanded, not the fact it was on Keegan's watch.

I am merely pointing out, it was not solely his decision, but shepherd and hall are happy for him to shoulder the blame.

I remember seeing a table, a couple of years of % truth in newspaper sports reporting and supposed scoops and the Guardian was most truthful with I believe about 48% correct right down to the bottom ones, the likes of the Mail, Star and Sun with around about 14/15% truth.

pboromag
20-07-2017, 06:15 PM

I give up!

and so he should he was the manager of all things footy

you start of saying he did because of the pitch and end up saying we did because the two great geordie owners thought it a great idea to throw away all the great local geordie talent
and what makes it worse
a footy man like kk let them get away with it

ex_pat_magpie
20-07-2017, 06:24 PM
and so he should he was the manager of all things footy

you start of saying he did because of the pitch and end up saying we did because the two great geordie owners thought it a great idea to throw away all the great local geordie talent
and what makes it worse
a footy man like kk let them get away with it

Aye but we didn't have two relegations in less than 10 years under them. A worse record than the Muckem.That takes some swallowing. :?

pboromag
21-07-2017, 04:16 AM
if we had a decent flow of talent maybe we wouldnt be in the mess and aybe we would have had players to sell instaed of running the club down and being in a position of having to seel it to ash

they didnt just do a bad deed for the toon at the time
but all hose young uns dreaming of playing for the toon

ash spends on the youths and development squads

which is what the discussion is about

you can keep bleeting on about relegation under ash
but the last few years of these jokers wasnt much better

watching the likes of owen etc rip money out the club
spending money we didnt have

toying with relegation

sacking SIR bOBBY

ghostrider
21-07-2017, 06:08 AM
I enjoyed the entertainers days under Keegan but there's no getting away from the fact that he played a major role in destroying our young talent and setting it back a good while.

The Hall's and Freddie appeared to look like fairy god mothers at the time but they were chancers who basically ended up with no contingency plan once their ideal world fell apart.

pboromag
21-07-2017, 07:06 AM
i enjoyed it
but the shepheard and freddy were very lucky

yes they gave us a stadium but to their own benefit and they had no option really

but they put this club years behind for a few years of good times

a bit ike drug addicts ,they get the hit and then cant deal with the after effects

getting rid of the reserve side etc
sacking sir bobby ]]like ash they made loads of mistakes

can you imagine if ash had done the same
he would have been hung drawn and quartered for destroying the dreams of the geordies kids

they had as much clue as ash has on running a footy team

NorthernRock
21-07-2017, 10:45 AM
I agree with what you're saying about Shepard and Hall, so in that sense you must see how Rafa and fat Mike are trying to do things differently now for long term progression? ... But yet your footy manager offerings completely contradict that...

On the subject if Gibson wants to leave his local club to go to a second rate Liverpool because they've got money then **** him either way... They should have tied him down a while ago if he was that special though tbh..

waalsendmick
21-07-2017, 12:16 PM
I agree with what you're saying about Shepard and Hall, so in that sense you must see how Rafa and fat Mike are trying to do things differently now for long term progression? ... But yet your footy manager offerings completely contradict that...

On the subject if Gibson wants to leave his local club to go to a second rate Liverpool because they've got money then **** him either way... They should have tied him down a while ago if he was that special though tbh..

they're not allowed to tie him down earlier. apparently a player cannot be offered their 1st pro contract until their 17th birthday. he turned our offer down as he had already decided to leave. the offer had been made earlier.

he wants to go.

(Keegan's fault allegedly)

Andy1981_2
21-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Nah, pretty sure it'll be Rafa's fault.

Zippity
21-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm blaming it on Brexit.

...or the Boogie.

pboromag
21-07-2017, 01:57 PM

if you knew anything about footy you cant tie a kid down

pboromag
21-07-2017, 01:57 PM
they're not allowed to tie him down earlier. apparently a player cannot be offered their 1st pro contract until their 17th birthday. he turned our offer down as he had already decided to leave. the offer had been made earlier.

he wants to go.

obviously not this player but carrick and others he was

ghostrider
21-07-2017, 02:05 PM
I'm blaming it on Brexit.

...or the Boogie.

Just as long as you're not blaming it on the sunshine... or the moon light, or even the good times.

waalsendmick
21-07-2017, 02:52 PM
the butler did it