PDA

View Full Version : Manquillo

sherwoodmag
21-07-2017, 11:43 AM
It has been revealed the reason Moyes dropped him after 22 games,there was a clause in the loan from Atletico that Sunderland would have to buy him for £9 million after 25 games.
Apparently Rogers was happy with him at Liverpool but changed the system to a back 3.
Here's hoping Rafa and his staff can get the best out of him.

ex_pat_magpie
21-07-2017, 11:46 AM
It has been revealed the reason Moyes dropped him after 22 games,there was a clause in the loan from Atletico that Sunderland would have to buy him for £9 million after 25 games.
Apparently Rogers was happy with him at Liverpool but changed the system to a back 3.

I'll bet that didn't show up on the detractors Football Manager. B)

andyj73
21-07-2017, 12:03 PM

.. He was absolute dog's ****e mind ..

Andy1981_2
21-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Cover for Yedlin according to reports I've read... oh dear!

ashingtoon62
21-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Well I like him,when he played for the filth he lived in the Toon...:D

andyj73
21-07-2017, 05:54 PM
.. Wait till you see him play ..

Well I like him,when he played for the filth he lived in the Toon...:D

sherwoodmag
21-07-2017, 05:58 PM
I've seen some of the Mackems tweets when he was playing for them,completely opposite to what they are saying now.Mind I think he is really winding them up when he said today that he had joined the biggest club in the North East.

andyj73
21-07-2017, 06:21 PM
.. Can't remember anyone having a good word for him, but talk is cheap .. Wait until you see him play. You will quickly come to realise that he is no Jack Colback ..

I've seen some of the Mackems tweets when he was playing for them,completely opposite to what they are saying now.Mind I think he is really winding them up when he said today that he had joined the biggest club in the North East.

Southerntoon75
21-07-2017, 06:25 PM
.. Can't remember anyone having a good word for him, but talk is cheap .. Wait until you see him play. You will quickly come to realise that he is no Jack Colback ..
Let's hope he's more like john O'Shea, he's quality 😂

waalsendmick
21-07-2017, 06:50 PM
I bet he's a country mile better than Ty Browning

Nufc24Mag
21-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I bet he's a country mile better than Ty Browning

To be fair to the new guy he was playing for Sunderland.... even Defoe turned sh*te the second half of the season.....

Jammy89
21-07-2017, 07:54 PM

I saw that as well, it slightly reassured me actually.

Even if he was crap in the highlights i saw with him in the team.

But as others have said they all were. Still wouldn't have gone for him myself but he's a player Rafa wants and he clearly thinks he can get best out of him.

ghostrider
22-07-2017, 07:32 AM
The mere fact that at the time his fee was 9 million, before this onset of double your price tag, crazy money added to it, then I'd say that this lad might just need the right break.

He could turn out to be a duffer or he could actually turn out to be a gem.
All it takes is the right approach and the right set up to find out what he has in his entire locker.

We have the chance to sample this and to do so with little financial loss.
It's a win win to be fair.

NorthernRock
22-07-2017, 07:37 AM
I think I'm the only one who actually thinks this is a shrewd signing tbh.

I didn't see him at all last season but Sunderland were really poor and as said there was reasons why he wasn't included in the 1st team after a certain number of games.

Look any player who goes through RM's youth ranks can play footy and knows the game, then he goes to AM plays regularly in their B team, goes on Loan to Liverpool and Marsaille... He's definitely got talent to be considered by all of them... Yes he was underwhelming at all of them granted.

But a top manager sees a talented young player and thinks he can get the best out of him, that's encouraging for me tbh.

He's excellent at man-managing players, especially his compatriots he made Torres, Baraja and Abelda some of the top players in Europe under his tutelage and players like Angloma, Finnan, Troare, Carboni and Torres excell in wing back roles winning leagues and European cups because of his superior use of Zonal marking.

If this lad can learn then I've got no doubt in my mind that he'll produce the goods, his youth/early career shows me that he definitely has the technical/physical abilities otherwise he wouldn't have played in the Madrid's youth teams.

Ignore the scum fans taking the piss, some of it will be true, they can only see what's in front of them tbh, but we don't have Moyes in charge, we don't have their tin-pot formation and ****e team neither.

In my opinion this is a good signing and I think rather than necessarily taking Yedlins place, this lad could well be challenging Dummet for a starting place and that's certainly a good thing.

HTL.

NorthernRock
22-07-2017, 07:37 AM
The mere fact that at the time his fee was 9 million, before this onset of double your price tag, crazy money added to it, then I'd say that this lad might just need the right break.

He could turn out to be a duffer or he could actually turn out to be a gem.
All it takes is the right approach and the right set up to find out what he has in his entire locker.

We have the chance to sample this and to do so with little financial loss.
It's a win win to be fair.

Exactly.

andyj73
22-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I saw that as well, it slightly reassured me actually.

Even if he was crap in the highlights i saw with him in the team.

But as others have said they all were. Still wouldn't have gone for him myself but he's a player Rafa wants and he clearly thinks he can get best out of him.

.. If this is the standard of players you are signing you are likely to get relegated ..

Andy1981_2
22-07-2017, 10:35 AM
May very well turn out to be a great signing, but it feels like a punt to me.

Zippity
22-07-2017, 10:36 AM
.. If this is the standard of players you are signing you are likely to get relegated ..

It's a head scratcher for me.

Either Rafa sees something in him or it's an indication of his limited funds.

ghostrider
22-07-2017, 10:39 AM
.. If this is the standard of players you are signing you are likely to get relegated ..Just remember one thing.
Standards of players can change tack depending on the standard of club and standard of managers they're at/under.

A player can have bags and bags of untapped talent but it stays untapped until someone turns that tap on. Some clubs just don't have the ability to open the tap and/or the player himself may not have the desire to realise his potential under such a regime.

I think Newcastle united under a manager like Benitez, coupled with the fact that Manquillo and Benitez are both Spanish, has another added bonus into the equation in terms of mental man management.

As I said earlier, this kid could be a gem and the ingredients are there this time around for him/us to realise it.

andyj73
22-07-2017, 11:43 AM
It's a head scratcher for me.

Either Rafa sees something in him or it's an indication of his limited funds.

.. Probably signed to bulk up your squad players, in case other targets don't come off .. I'm surprised at how little you are spending .. We hardily seem to be pushing the boat out atm either mind ..

andyj73
22-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Just remember one thing.
Standards of players can change tack depending on the standard of club and standard of managers they're at/under.

A player can have bags and bags of untapped talent but it stays untapped until someone turns that tap on. Some clubs just don't have the ability to open the tap and/or the player himself may not have the desire to realise his potential under such a regime.

I think Newcastle united under a manager like Benitez, coupled with the fact that Manquillo and Benitez are both Spanish, has another added bonus into the equation in terms of mental man management.

As I said earlier, this kid could be a gem and the ingredients are there this time around for him/us to realise it.

.. That sounds more like hope than anything else .. Remember the old adage 'You only get what you pay for' ..

ghostrider
22-07-2017, 12:02 PM
.. That sounds more like hope than anything else .. Remember the old adage 'You only get what you pay for' ..

Not true in terms of football.
I can name many players that cost fortunes and didn't give what they were paid for and equally many players that cost pennies and gave performances that merited high transfer fees.

The truer words are: you only get what you're clever enough to see as a worth.
Or...
You only get what you're prepared to invest time in, in pay back.

ex_pat_magpie
22-07-2017, 01:56 PM
I can name many players that cost fortunes and didn't give what they were paid for and equally many players that cost pennies and gave performances that merited high transfer fees.

Or...

Or a good one for us as Sissoko, what we paid for him and what we got on his "potential" :D

andyj73
22-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Or...

.. Rafa's a manager who needs to spend to get anywhere and your squad is not as good as the one that took us down. As things stand I think you will be lucky to avoid relegation.. Still time to get a few decent players in though, but if you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys ..

Davearmy
22-07-2017, 03:32 PM
.. Your squad is not as good as the one that took us down. ..

What a gimp... I'll have some of what you've been smoking.

NorthernRock
22-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Or a good one for us as Sissoko, what we paid for him and what we got on his "potential" :D

I think this shows why the term/saying is misconceived tbh.

You see you don't always get what you pay for, the term is get what you paid for and therefore it depends on the person/buyer or item/player.

If you know what you're buying value is nothing more than the sum you have to pay in order to get what you want...

If you don't know what you're buying then the value dictates what you're getting for your money on face value...

It applies to everything it's just the value changes depending on what market you're in- materialistic items-cars(ignoring depreciation), houses(different to a certain extent because of the market/area you're buying in) and players (again different because of the market you choose to buy in/country).

Take Wenger for a clear example- he knew what he wanted/saw in Anelka so paid £500k for him, is he a £500k player? No as his transfers to Real Madrid etc showed

He knew what he wanted/saw in Sanchez so had to pay £25m for him, you could say he's now a £50m player...

These are 2 ends of the spectrum from the same man but in 2 different markets... Ultimately he knows how to spot quality and he could buy it cheap on one occasion but had to pay more for it on another...

Now go through the endless list of every expensive player and then place their true value next to them... Are you really getting what you're paying for? On some occasions yes but again that depends on the buyer and what he knows/sees... Obviously players are different from objects in that performances can fluctuate for a whole host of reasons example- Torres... He was definitely worth £20m but the £50m that Chelsea paid was clearly flushed down the toilet as they did a lot at the beginning of Roms era and Man City and countless other big spending clubs have done the same- the sellers dictated the price and they paid regardless of value/worth to get what they wanted and blindly on many transfers.

Sissoko is another good example as is Cabaye.

We paid less than £2m for Sissoko, because we saw his potential, Pochettino had to pay £30m for him because we the seller dictated that, is he a £30m player? Not in my opinion or based on his performances for Spurs.

We paid around £5m for Cabaye and he was worth every penny and easily comparable to players worth 4-5x what his value was... He went to PSG for £25m and ultimately flopped.

Now it doesn't make either a bad player now but did those teams by paying more for both players get their moneys worth? Not in my opinion- ask yourself did we? Yes. So therefore we got what we paid for but the other 2 clubs didn't even though they paid for more than us...

On the flip side we broke our transfer record for the England international Michael Owen... On paper it was a great signing, Real Madrid named their price and we went with that value thinking that we were getting our moneys worth... Was he a complete bag of ****e? Yes.

Last season we paid £10m for an English man with no caps in Dwight Gayle and he was our top scorer as well as the league's... Benitez knew what he wanted and knew he had to pay £10m to get him, I'm sure he would have paid £5m as well as prepared to have paid £15m... Did we get our moneys worth? Definitely. Would we have got more value by paying £5m more for him though, would he have scored anymore goals?

Bottom line is just because you've spent £30m on one striker doesn't mean he's going to score anymore goals than the one you bought for £5m it all depends on who's buying and who you're buying from.

Is Walker a £50m right back?
Is Sigurdsson a £50m AM?

No on both accounts in my opinion but then to show the flip side you'd have to say that Ronaldo and Bale are both worth their 80m and 100m price tags respectively.

That's why you have a scouting network, yes it's easier to buy the names because they're already established and that's why you have to pay the premium in a lot of cases because on face value they're "worth" it but if you're prepared to do the legwork/take a calculated risk there are plenty of bargains to be had, there are millions of players worldwide ffs but like sheep we follow and stick to a congested area in the market.

andyj73
22-07-2017, 04:19 PM
What a gimp... I'll have some of what you've been smoking.

.. As things stand, you have a Championship squad fella .. You can do all the name calling you want but that won't change the fact ..

Southerntoon75
22-07-2017, 04:22 PM
.. As things stand, you have a Championship squad fella .. You can do all the name calling you want but that won't change the fact ..

You haven't even got that

ex_pat_magpie
22-07-2017, 04:38 PM

I'll bet you wish you had a Championship squad Andy. Never mind lad they'll be tested to their true potential after next season's relegation to the old 3rd Div. (better to call it that than the 1st Div) ;D

zoggs
22-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Let's just see how he performs for US, and not some utter sh1t sunlun team,

ex_pat_magpie
22-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Let's just see how he performs for US, and not some utter sh1t sunlun team,

Well coming season he'll be playing with players two classes higher than he's used to so that will give him a head start.

Nufc24Mag
22-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Well coming season he'll be playing with players two classes higher than he's used to so that will give him a head start.

Plus he will have Rafa managing him not dour dave

pboromag
23-07-2017, 05:32 AM

you are correct
but we have rafa

so that makes it all well

apparently

Andy1981_2
23-07-2017, 09:09 AM
you are correct
but we have rafa

so that makes it all well

apparently

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EnFNV1IEi4k/V2XBsp8A3LI/AAAAAAAABzE/niB5ToUAeDcngkx0TBMDFm7dNZJhBvQSwCLcB/s1600/7-inch-vinyl.gif

ghostrider
23-07-2017, 09:40 AM
.. Rafa's a manager who needs to spend to get anywhere and your squad is not as good as the one that took us down. As things stand I think you will be lucky to avoid relegation.. Still time to get a few decent players in though, but if you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys ..Any manager is a manager who needs to spend to get anywhere that is deemed worthy of a place in the higher echelons of football.

I think Rafa is assembling a squad that is far better than a relegation scrap.
However, it's all pie in the sky from me and from you in how we view any of it, until the reality kicks in.

It's a simple enough thing for me.
We start the season with what we have onboard and we tinker until the transfer window closes, if we need to.
We soldier on until January and decide if we need to upgrade to carry us over the end of season line.

Then and only then will see see what we are dealing with in this new premier league chapter under ( in my opinion) a far better manager/man manager/coach.

Up to now I've seen massive progress in set up, throughout the club since he and his staff have been here.
I'm of the opinion that he can not only carry this on (given the right backing) but also be the man to actually get some real silverware in the cabinet.

The mere fact that he's took us straight back up as champions is testament as to how he's done his homework on the championship and players he deemed, required.

His real tactical expertise is playing against higher quality opposition and catering for progress over time.
For this chapter, we have to wait and see if Newcastle united are a club that he is allowed to take to the next level, with sensible backing and little hindrance.

MidsMagpie
23-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Kolarov has just gone to Roma for the same price we paid for manquillo, he would have been a much better signing proven premier league player and international.

Zippity
23-07-2017, 11:51 AM
What did we pay for Manquillo? Thought it was undisclosed.

ghostrider
23-07-2017, 12:14 PM
What did we pay for Manquillo? Thought it was undisclosed.Apparently, 5 million.

TheOtherTerryMac
23-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Taking to a Mackem mate of mine today who is a season ticket holder. He said he watched all of the games and admittedly he was playing in a bad side. But his verdict was that he's shyte

NorthernRock
23-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Aye, that's it TerryMac

Why go off Rafa's judgement of a player when you can go off a mackems eh?

I'm personally going to reserve judgement until I see him in black and white not red and white like I did with Yedlin and Colback.

andyj73
23-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Aye, that's it TerryMac

I'm personally going to reserve judgement until I see him in black and white not red and white like I did with Yedlin and Colback.

.. Judgment! It's a bargain basement signing .. Still, he's probably an improvement to your poor squad ..

Southerntoon75
23-07-2017, 03:09 PM
.. Judgment! It's a bargain basement signing .. Still, he's probably an improvement to your poor squad ..

I wouldn't start judging squads when yours is worse than the dross that played last season

pboromag
23-07-2017, 03:50 PM
so is ours for a prem team

look at who we sold last season
and that was what came down
we are afar worse side than that that came down and older and full of players rafa brought fro the fizzy

now he cant shift them we are left with a fizzy side hoping to compete in the [prem

every one who had faith in rafa and he will atract players he knows what he id ding etc etc

well he aint attracted nobig names at the moment
and he certainly is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to signings

so dont get to cockey about us and them

TheOtherTerryMac
23-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Aye, that's it TerryMac

Just going off a very good mate who has seen him play in all of his home games. He also told me that Yedlin would be a decent signing so I would rather believe a guy who has watched this full back over repeated 90 mins of play.

I just wonder how many games Rafa's top scouts watched this guy last year before splashing out 5 million

pboromag
23-07-2017, 04:26 PM
he only had a few minutes yesterday and didnt play in the position i thought
murphy was gash to be honest

knocked the ball ast a defender twice and didnt get on the end of it

seemed a headless chicken if you ask me but he needs to settle maybe trying to hard to impres the toon army

as for the lad at the back
he looked comfortable at theiri everl )pne) but was at fault for there goal

Southerntoon75
23-07-2017, 04:28 PM
so is ours for a prem team

look at who we sold last season
and that was what came down
we are afar worse side than that that came down and older and full of players rafa brought fro the fizzy

now he cant shift them we are left with a fizzy side hoping to compete in the [prem

every one who had faith in rafa and he will atract players he knows what he id ding etc etc

well he aint attracted nobig names at the moment
and he certainly is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to signings

so dont get to cockey about us and them

Sorry mate but you sound like one of them

TheOtherTerryMac
23-07-2017, 04:48 PM
he only had a few minutes yesterday and didnt play in the position i thought
murphy was gash to be honest

knocked the ball ast a defender twice and didnt get on the end of it

seemed a headless chicken if you ask me but he needs to settle maybe trying to hard to impres the toon army

as for the lad at the back
he looked comfortable at theiri everl )pne) but was at fault for there goal

I agree with you pboro we are a worse side now than the side that got relegated and that is by a country mile.

We are a fizzy squad trying to compete in the premier with a side that on paper is not good enough. Phuck knows what we're going to do when the inevitable injuries set in.

I was really upbeat when we got promoted but the signings Rafa has made up to now do not inspire anything other than a season long relegation battle.

Nufc24Mag
23-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Sorry mate but you sound like one of them

I've thought that many of times he is the only toon fan I know who constantly slates Rafa the fans and the team

tinostongue
23-07-2017, 06:21 PM
He never has anything positive to say about anything connected to NUFC.He recently posted that" he had been talkin to somebody at the club",who gave him a detailed account of why we haven't spent as much as we thought we would.AS IF, anybody would give that info out! especially to a total knob! Complete dickead

Southerntoon75
23-07-2017, 06:24 PM
He never has anything positive to say about anything connected to NUFC.He recently posted that" he had been talkin to somebody at the club",who gave him a detailed account of why we haven't spent as much as we thought we would.AS IF, anybody would give that info out! especially to a total knob! Complete dickead

Sounds about right 😂😂

Kal
23-07-2017, 06:30 PM
AS IF, anybody would give that info out! especially to a total knob! Complete dickead

Ouch !

pboromag
23-07-2017, 07:59 PM

doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise games against preston whitby etc etc are not exactly money spinners
it is championship material

even the likes of wba and palace got a decent spend from the asia cup

i woould have thought rafa would have had a few connections for a few money spinning games
truth is this side would be made to look so silly against a top team

pboromag
23-07-2017, 08:01 PM

by the way i was golfing with a current player and an ex coach from the club a few weeks back

Southerntoon75
23-07-2017, 08:29 PM
by the way i was golfing with a current player and an ex coach from the club a few weeks back

Any names?

toonlegend
23-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Any names?

woodman & woodman possibly

given as he has often claimed to be mates with them.

do they still go to la sella in spain ?

Zippity
23-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Let's be honest about this fella. The mackems are largely pissing themselves laughing that we've bought him. Good friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at the dark place and isn't into the whole 'banter' ****e :zzz: is astounded we've bought him-based on the lad's actual performances. The bottom line is, though, he's Rafa's choice so he must think he can make it work and that'll do for me.

ex_pat_magpie
23-07-2017, 09:28 PM
woodman & woodman possibly

given as he has often claimed to be mates with them.

do they still go to la sella in spain ?

They are at home at the moment. I'll ask my grand daughter as she's Freddie's sisters best friend.

Andy1981_2
23-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Let's be honest about this fella. The mackems are largely pissing themselves laughing that we've bought him. Good friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at the dark place and isn't into the whole 'banter' ****e :zzz: is astounded we've bought him-based on the lad's actual performances. The bottom line is, though, he's Rafa's choice so he must think he can make it work and that'll do for me.

As I said above, if he's cover for Yedlin it kind of doesn't matter too much to me unless he is totally incompetent (and I doubt he'd be worse than another fullback we have at our club!) What worries me is that would mean we're looking at players like Yedlin as setting the standard for our first team, and I don't personally think he's good enough. Maybe he'd do well if he's put alongside better players than we had last season - I haven't seen Lejeune at all like, and maybe he's great. But, at the moment, signing Manquillo feels like a 'fingers crossed' approach to PL survival.

Zippity
23-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Put it this way-has his signing moved us forward? In my opinion, no.

Nufc24Mag
23-07-2017, 10:24 PM

I've got a feeling he is going to come off the bench about the 70th min in our first game of the season while the match is 0-0 and he is going to score an absolute screamer in the last 10mins to win us the match B) and everyone will be w*nking them selves silly

Zippity
23-07-2017, 10:35 PM
XDXD I remember Bracewell silencing the doubters on his debut by smacking it in from miles out!

Jammy89
23-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Well. . . . If we didn't have a back up for Yedlin, technically it's moved us forward as we now have a back up ;) XD XD

HughieG
23-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Well. . . . If we didn't have a back up for Yedlin, technically it's moved us forward as we now have a back up ;) XD XD

Can't help but wonder what all of this means for Gamez though.

Jammy89
24-07-2017, 10:10 AM

I'd completely forgotten about him.

Think we'll move him on if we can. If we can't can he be used as back up for Dummett?

NorthernRock
24-07-2017, 10:25 AM

I personally feel he's been brought in to give Dummet competition as well tbh, something that he needs.

A lad who's come through the Madrid ranks can play footy, there's no doubt about that, can Rafa get the best out him, that's my question. I believe he can so in my eyes its a good signing.

There's no doubt he's done a lot of homework on him especially with him being Spanish so the other thing I ask myself is do I listen to Sunlun fans who've (probably rightly at times) slated him playing in a **** team or so I go on Rafa's judgement with him also aware he had a poor season there and still bought him.. If he'd of had a cracking season would they have triggered the clause and then be looking to sell for top dollar this summer...

Depends which way you want to look at it, he's definitely more than that **** Spanish right back who couldn't get into the scums team though in my eyes.

sherwoodmag
24-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Rafa has said he can cover both fullback positions and that is why he bought him.

TheOtherTerryMac
24-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Rafa has said he can cover both fullback positions and that is why he bought him.

Sherwood I don't think it is cover we need for the LB position. It's a new fullback to replace Dummet

sherwoodmag
24-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Sherwood I don't think it is cover we need for the LB position. It's a new fullback to replace Dummet We have needed a decent left back for years,it is weird how Dummet was our most used player last season.

TheOtherTerryMac
24-07-2017, 06:48 PM
We have needed a decent left back for years,it is weird how Dummet was our most used player last season.

I can't even think of our last decent Left Back!!!! Dummet played cos he was all we had and still is.

MidsMagpie
24-07-2017, 07:32 PM
We have now pulled out the race for Jenkinson, wasnt keen on him but do feel he would be better then Manquillo. Gamez looked ok in the few games he started last season as well.

HughieG
25-07-2017, 12:29 PM
I'd completely forgotten about him.

Think we'll move him on if we can. If we can't can he be used as back up for Dummett?

This is why the Manquillo signing puzzles me, though he's younger and possibly has a lot of potential. Gamez has experience and looked fine when he played last season, so he would have been my preferred back up to both right+left back positions.

ghostrider
25-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Benitez has bought the players in and so far they've done what we all hoped for.
Now Rafa has shipped out some and brought some more in and we have to trust his judgement and ability to manage/man manage and coach them to gain the minimum expectation we all require, which is obviously to steer clear of relegation.

Anything more is a bonus and any better players on the market for our newly promoted budget will be pursued and probably got, assuming ideal scenarios.

Basically we have to trust in Rafa and co to do the right thing, or we can worry about things that have not materialised.
I'd rather have my mind focused on the good.