PDA

View Full Version : West Yorkshire Galacticos

Silentman
22-07-2017, 12:57 PM
or will the Real Leeds United please stand up? Ironic isn't it that Don famously based our all white strip on Real Madrid and he we are becoming a virtual Spanish club. More Spanish youngsters into the U23 announced this morning - Temenuzco & Machuca arriving today.

espaņablanco73
22-07-2017, 01:15 PM
foreign tw@ts.

joellufcprice
22-07-2017, 01:21 PM
or will the Real Leeds United please stand up? Ironic isn't it that Don famously based our all white strip on Real Madrid and he we are becoming a virtual Spanish club. More Spanish youngsters into the U23 announced this morning - Temenuzco & Machuca arriving today.

because our u23s are crap and have been for a while

Rev72
22-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Better than the English players..more the merrier if they improve our club's chances of success.

lasher
22-07-2017, 03:47 PM
It's a tough one this. We have had great success bringing players through but like Joel says we were terrible last season. Let's hope we can get back to producing some home grown 1st teamers while trying some of these young imports, it isn't a bad idea. It's not like other big clubs don't do it.
I'm quite open to this really and hope it pays off.

joellufcprice
22-07-2017, 06:19 PM
It's a tough one this. We have had great success bringing players through but like Joel says we were terrible last season. Let's hope we can get back to producing some home grown 1st teamers while trying some of these young imports, it isn't a bad idea. It's not like other big clubs don't do it.
I'm quite open to this really and hope it pays off.

We can't anymore, as any PL club can just come in and steal any half decent kid before they're 16 and give us peanuts as compensation. Blame the FA, more interested in plugging Man City youth squad with 200 english youngsters who will never kick a ball for the first team than let the lower league clubs develop them and give them an actual career.

fredlufc74
22-07-2017, 09:56 PM
We can't anymore, as any PL club can just come in and steal any half decent kid before they're 16 and give us peanuts as compensation. Blame the FA, more interested in plugging Man City youth squad with 200 english youngsters who will never kick a ball for the first team than let the lower league clubs develop them and give them an actual career.

Totally agree with you Joel with regards to the state of young players today. 90% of the time you hear of them as the next so and so coming through big clubs ranks, then you google them 5 years later to find they are playing Conference Football.

WTF11
23-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Totally agree with you Joel with regards to the state of young players today. 90%6 of the time you hear of them as the next so and so coming through big clubs ranks, then you google them 5 years later to find they are playing Conference Football.

So just what is Leeds United, just a name and some grass on the outskirts of a big city in Yorkshire?

Might as well be the Galacticos?

Maybe one of you could explain what Leeds is, before you get to the name calling bit?

lasher
23-07-2017, 09:32 AM
WTF I think it's the changing (or changed) way of football now mate. Sky and the premier league have developed the finances so that those with the money can buy up anyone. The price of home grown players is sky high and all or most of the domestic talent is gobbled up.
LUFC gave a good record of producing talent and undoubtedly we should try to continue doing this with youth recruitment. It was terrible last season and I hope we can get back on track but if some of these foreign kids work that is OK with me so long as the desire to develop our own continues.
I'm not so keen on every player we get for the 1st team being foreign with questionable quality to say the least and I've stated my opinion on that several times.
Galacticos we aren't although I suspect that was tongue in cheek. Let's hope the new owners know better than I do.

Ozwhites
23-07-2017, 09:39 AM
So just what is Leeds United, just a name and some grass on the outskirts of a big city in Yorkshire?

Maybe one of you could explain what Leeds is, before you get to the name calling bit?

Geez you must be a barrel of laughs to live with... 🤐

WTF11
23-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Geez you must be a barrel of laughs to live with... 🤐

I asked for an answer about what "Leeds united" were, BEFORE the name calling.

Sadly unsurprised at that not happening.

WTF11
23-07-2017, 10:32 AM
WTF I think it's the changing (or changed) way of football now mate. Sky and the premier league have developed the finances so that those with the money can buy up anyone. The price of home grown players is sky high and all or most of the domestic talent is gobbled up.
LUFC gave a good record of producing talent and undoubtedly we should try to continue doing this with youth recruitment. It was terrible last season and I hope we can get back on track but if some of these foreign kids work that is OK with me so long as the desire to develop our own continues.
I'm not so keen on every player we get for the 1st team being foreign with questionable quality to say the least and I've stated my opinion on that several times.
Galacticos we aren't although I suspect that was tongue in cheek. Let's hope the new owners know better than I do.

Not much to disagree with there, but the "so long as the desire to develop our own....." is a huge question mark.

Not suggesting we agree on everything ( you'd get the same vitriol I attract if I did), but at least there is one other here who questions the policy of stuffing the first team with foreign players many of whom have "questionable quality"

You never know, it might all turn out alright.

Ozwhites
23-07-2017, 10:43 AM
I asked for an answer about what "Leeds united" were, BEFORE the name calling.

Sadly unsurprised at that not happening.

Just hope you don't get yourself worked up as much with all other aspects of life. Not worth the angst just to make your opinion number 1 every time....

WTF11
23-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Just hope you don't get yourself worked up as much with all other aspects of life. Not worth the angst just to make your opinion number 1 every time....

Not getting worked up. Just have a glance at some of the responses to my posts, now THAT'S getting worked up.

My opinion is my opinion, no more, no less, doesn't matter to me if it's number 1 or number 99, still mine whether others agree with it or not. Certainly NOT getting hot under any collar, (but thanks for your concern!😉)

WTF11
23-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Not much to disagree with there, but the "so long as the desire to develop our own....." is a huge question mark.

Not suggesting we agree on everything ( you'd get the same vitriol I attract if I did), but at least there is one other here who questions the policy of stuffing the first team with foreign players many of whom have "questionable quality"

You never know, it might all turn out alright.

So much for youth recruitment and developing our own.......

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exciting-development-for-leeds-united-as-club-announce-new-partnership/

So we're now an outreach project for someone in La Liga? Cultural Leonesa provide seed corn, Leeds continue the hothousing, and along comes the big bad wolf from Madrid, Barcelona (or elsewhere) to harvest the crop. Or are we to believe that we'll keep hold of the little stars as they are borne?

WTF11
23-07-2017, 05:31 PM
So much for youth recruitment and developing our own.......

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exciting-development-for-leeds-united-as-club-announce-new-partnership/

So we're now an outreach project for someone in La Liga? Cultural Leonesa provide seed corn, Leeds continue the hothousing, and along comes the big bad wolf from Madrid, Barcelona (or elsewhere) to harvest the crop. Or are we to believe that we'll keep hold of the little stars as they are borne?

And surprise, surprise, there is a "link" between this new source of talent and our board room newcomers, strange that.....

"What is interesting in this news is that Cultural Leonesa are owned by the Aspire Foundation, for whom Leeds United director Ivan Bravo is the general director.

Bravo is also on the board at Cultural, being a new appointment at the Spanish club. It is through this web of links that Leeds United are thought to be looking at the player hook-up hinted at by Alan Nixon"

Talk about jobs for the f00king boys, makes you retch.

joellufcprice
23-07-2017, 06:47 PM

What name calling? Neither of use were even replying to you.

Leeds United has nothing to do with it, we are in the champsonship ergo any PL club from Man City to Burnley can take our English youngsters for peanuts to fill their own academy.

WTF11
23-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Leeds United has nothing to do with it, we are in the champsonship ergo any PL club from Man City to Burnley can take our English youngsters for peanuts to fill their own academy.

Joel, you and others find it easier to resort to name-calling in response to my posts than actually addressing the point of any of them, that was why I made the comment I did.

As for Leeds having nothing to do with it, it was asking SPECIFICALLY what Leeds were/are given the enormous Spanish influence we now have that I asked about (and where there has been a deafening silence in reply).

Ozwhites
23-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Not getting worked up. Just have a glance at some of the responses to my posts, now THAT'S getting worked up.

My opinion is my opinion, no more, no less, doesn't matter to me if it's number 1 or number 99, still mine whether others agree with it or not. Certainly NOT getting hot under any collar, (but thanks for your concern!😉)

Doesn't matter if it's 1 or 99??? You're kidding yourself mate. Honestly, if that is what you are telling yourself...when needing to have the final say on everything. But...whatever... I don't mean you any malice, but I'll bet you respond once again to tell me I can't possibly be right!

WTF11
23-07-2017, 07:07 PM

So we plunder Spanish nonentities to fill ours?

Silentman
23-07-2017, 07:09 PM
It's just getting ridiculous; I hear from a source close to the club that at the first home game we are going to be given the lyrics to Marchando juntos to learn so that the new coaching team feel more at home.

Tichi1
24-07-2017, 10:00 AM

"So just what is Leeds United"

You seriously asking that? it is the same as it has always been, a team of footballers representing the city of Leeds?

Unlike in the 60's before Bosman there are no limits on the number of players from any country, that is the law and has been for thirty years now - nothing has changed apart from the leagues we play in and the Nationality of some players and managers - the same as every other club competing in the top two divisions.

Rev72
24-07-2017, 10:30 AM
The funny thing is if all these foreign tw@ts perform well and help us get promotion no one will give a flying f*ck what nationality they are.

Think some fans just like to f*cking moan regardless....

fredlufc74
24-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Joel, you and others find it easier to resort to name-calling in response to my posts than actually addressing the point of any of them, that was why I made the comment I did.

As for Leeds having nothing to do with it, it was asking SPECIFICALLY what Leeds were/are given the enormous Spanish influence we now have that I asked about (and where there has been a deafening silence in reply).

Well considering you quoted my post about name calling and such, I just gave up on the thread. To my memory I've never "name-called" anyone.

Had disagreements with only one poster, but I'm pretty sure there was no name-calling from eitherside.

WTF11
24-07-2017, 11:37 AM
The funny thing is if all these foreign tw@ts perform well and help us get promotion no one will give a flying f*ck what nationality they are.

Think some fans just like to f*cking moan regardless....

Speak for yourself Rev, not in my name.

WTF11
24-07-2017, 11:46 AM
"So just what is Leeds United"

You seriously asking that? it is the same as it has always been, a team of footballers representing the city of Leeds?

Unlike in the 60's before Bosman there are no limits on the number of players from any country, that is the law and has been for thirty years now - nothing has changed apart from the leagues we play in and the Nationality of some players and managers - the same as every other club competing in the top two divisions.

Of course I'm "seriously asking that". It most certainly is not the same as it has always been.

I'm well aware of the "Bosman effect", but it wasn't until Sky and others bought the rights that things started to change drastically, with clubs "investing" on the assumption that TV revenues would support their spending (sound familiar?)

To suggest "nothing has changed" is just downright dumb. Examine the make up of squads in the PL/upper echelon of the Championship when at about the time the PL was established and now, they bear little if any similarity.

Tichi1
24-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Of course I'm "seriously asking that". It most certainly is not the same as it has always been.

I'm well aware of the "Bosman effect", but it wasn't until Sky and others bought the rights that things started to change drastically, with clubs "investing" on the assumption that TV revenues would support their spending (sound familiar?)

To suggest "nothing has changed" is just downright dumb. Examine the make up of squads in the PL/upper echelon of the Championship when at about the time the PL was established and now, they bear little if any similarity.

To use one of your favorite put downs.....

You just don't get it...

Nothing has changed in the broadest sense - things have evolved and things do look different today to how they did back in the 60.s and 70's - but that is pretty much the same in all sports - and indeed life!

Back in the day only Yorkshiremen could play Cricket for their county, Women weren't allowed to play on many golf courses, London was full of Cockneys, walking the streets of Leeds in the old days and all you heard where Yorkshire accents - now you would be lucky to hear any, and until I was twelve I'd never seen a black person....

Evolution WTF - bypassed you, but the rest of us accept that the world has moved on since the black and white days!

ps - the nonesense you keep spouting about "Name calling' on here - you do your share in a patronising way - calling people "Just plain dumb" "Not intelligent enough to understand" etc - just as offensive just a little more subtle.:)

WTF11
24-07-2017, 12:51 PM
To use one of your favorite put downs.....

You just don't get it...

Nothing has changed in the broadest sense - things have evolved and things do look different today to how they did back in the 60.s and 70's - but that is pretty much the same in all sports - and indeed life!

Back in the day only Yorkshiremen could play Cricket for their county, Women weren't allowed to play on many golf courses, London was full of Cockneys, walking the streets of Leeds in the old days and all you heard where Yorkshire accents - now you would be lucky to hear any, and until I was twelve I'd never seen a black person....

Evolution WTF - bypassed you, but the rest of us accept that the world has moved on since the black and white days!

ps - the nonesense you keep spouting about "Name calling' on here - you do your share in a patronising way - calling people "Just plain dumb" "Not intelligent enough to understand" etc - just as offensive just a little more subtle.:)

No, I suppose I don't "get it".

I don't get how loyalty is immediately conferred on an owner/coach/player simply because they happen to have become owner/coach/player for ANY club and particularly Leeds. Perhaps if we were a little more judicious we'd be less inclined to stab players in the back when they don't perform (Painter, Mowatt, Cooper, to name some who were lauded and then blasted)?

I don't get how it is possible to enthuse about the pervasive and all-encompassing methods used to reduce what was once a proud Yorkshire team (albeit made up of players from outside the county), to a hollow shell owned/populated by those with no real affinity with Leeds, who, given the right financial incentive, would be gone without a backward glance. Isn't that what Bates did?

The shirt doesn't make the man, or the player inside the man. If "evolution" has made it so, then maybe it's one of those evolutionary branches that will eventually lead to a dead end, let's hope so.

Anyway, I think I'll take a break from this place (hurray I hear!), maybe a tad longer than previously (hurray again!), maybe the Spitfires will see more of me this season than last.

Tichi1
24-07-2017, 01:53 PM
No, I suppose I don't "get it".

I don't get how loyalty is immediately conferred on an owner/coach/player simply because they happen to have become owner/coach/player for ANY club and particularly Leeds. Perhaps if we were a little more judicious we'd be less inclined to stab players in the back when they don't perform (Painter, Mowatt, Cooper, to name some who were lauded and then blasted)?

I don't get how it is possible to enthuse about the pervasive and all-encompassing methods used to reduce what was once a proud Yorkshire team (albeit made up of players from outside the county), to a hollow shell owned/populated by those with no real affinity with Leeds, who, given the right financial incentive, would be gone without a backward glance. Isn't that what Bates did?

The shirt doesn't make the man, or the player inside the man. If "evolution" has made it so, then maybe it's one of those evolutionary branches that will eventually lead to a dead end, let's hope so.

Anyway, I think I'll take a break from this place (hurray I hear!), maybe a tad longer than previously (hurray again!), maybe the Spitfires will see more of me this season than last.

Glad to hear you're taking a break - you need one.

You put statements on here about people blindly enthusing about new manager/owner/players, and about people running clubs with "no affinity" to said club, as if that makes us sad losers or wierdo's
First off a bit of enthusiasm is what makes most of us tick, I have a friend who tells me every season that this is the year we go up - he can't help himself, secondly, Which supporters of what club [Apart from your local Farsley Celtics / Eastleigh Spitfires etc] are any different to ours? they all have owners who are in it for the money that will sell up if and when it suits them, they all have players no one heard of before they arrived, they all have scapegoats, and they all keep following and supporting, and yes - wishing for success....despite all this.

The only thing we can do if we don't like the direction the club is taking is to moan and groan and bitch and whine.... or feck off and watch someone else.
You have been doing the former for the last year and a half, glad to hear you are now off to do the latter!

enjoy your flask standing on the touchline!