PDA

View Full Version : Good names for baby boys?

mickd1961
22-07-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm sat here awaiting the arrival of my second grandchild...a boy to my second daughter.

Mother to be is struggling for a name,for months it was going to be Theo but she's started to waver.

I picked my daughter's name and she's always liked being called Holly so I've been throwing my favourite options at her.

I like short names and I'm not really a traditionalist so I'm not really into names like William,Henry and all them sort.

I actually like names like Bo and Max and she quite likes Bo but she's thinking ahead to when he's a ****ager and the p I s s taking starts and doesn't think B O is the greatest idea:-)

A friend of mine has a grandson called Dexter and she likes that especially when adding his grandads name of John which was also my dad's name and he was her favourite grandad so she thinks "DJ" or Dex will be cool name when he gets to ****age years.

Anybody got any unusual suggestions or good names from their family.

I've already had to warn his dad that Junior and Enzo are probably not the best but then again we did have Enzo Maresca.

Saido is a definite NO!!

BaggieBlood
22-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Muhammad the most popular name out there I think.

mickd1961
23-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Muhammad the most popular name out there I think.

Cheers.....that's a massive help.

holmleighchris
23-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Something short is good. Also not one of the fly by night names that are popular for a short time but a few years down the line will be abused.
The choice of course has to be with the parents. Greg, Matt, Dan, Mick, Dave, Jon all have stood the test of time and are good solid names.
Get her to spell it correctly though. Don't want Krys, Mik, Dezzy, etc.
I would strongly advise against Bubba. About time Reginald made a comeback, she could set a trend with that.
My dad was William Henry. There is a pub in Weymouth called William Henry as well.

Roymit
23-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Tarquin and Chelsea are always popular

goodlordmurphy
23-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Forget all the gizmo jizmo names...nothing wrong with Michael...

WBA53
23-07-2017, 08:36 AM
leading up to the birth of my grandson in april last year and knowing my daughter was having a boy the name juggling was well under way and the two strong candidates were Hugo and Griff or Gryff,he very nearly got Griff which I was sold on but the other granddad to be (his first grandchild like myself) was leaning towards Hugo and events took a nasty turn just before xmas 15 when he suddenly took ill and was hospitalised,unfortunatley he died shortly after before the birth so Hugo was chosen over Griff as a nod to him
He is Hugo it suits him but I think as shes planning on another baby next year and if its a boy Gryff will be a top contender for sure

BaggiefromStafford
23-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Simon, James, David, Peter all names I would choose.

SmedDUm
23-07-2017, 08:51 AM
ROBBIE or is that too Scottish?

WBA53
23-07-2017, 09:01 AM
for years in my childhood I thought I was named Cumeer,that's what me mam always shouted at me :O

mickd1961
23-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Forget all the gizmo jizmo names...nothing wrong with Michael...

I said to my daughter that Michael was probably a bit "old hat" and a derivative of it in Micky would be better but it's not a favoured choice.

A guy I know had his first grandson last year and I almost spat my tea out with laughter when I heard the kid had been called Rupert.

They support the Villa so what do you expect.

Tory minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has just called his sixth child "Sixtus"......he's such a card old Rees-Mogg!!

phild
23-07-2017, 09:31 AM
A name with one syllable ensures it wouldn't be shortened

Leicesterbaggie
23-07-2017, 10:19 AM
We named our two lads Mark and Paul as we thought they couldn't be shortened. What did my brothers in law do? Called them Marky and Pauly. Can't win! Fortunately now that they are adults they have reverted to their original names.

Albionic68
23-07-2017, 10:26 AM
I like names such as Luke, Kane and Ryan but a lot depends on the first letter of the surname though.

For instance Kane would be a no no were the first letter of their surname to be a Y etc ;D .

Mate of mine wanted to call any new son Xavier because it was different, 'out there' and a sign of character.

Changed his mind when I pointed out names can be more burdensome for those who walk through life with them than for those who name them, and that the poor little man may end up hating his old man.

And in this instance justifiably so......... ;D .

WBA1955
23-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Bob,easy'to'remember'and'to'call'them'for'tea.

OptimisticBaggie
23-07-2017, 04:41 PM
If you are considering a slightly unusual name then don't forget to apply the 'playground' test.

Go down to a school playground at kicking out time (preferably one you are already picking a child up from to avoid been arrested & put on a register) and trying shouting the name at the top of your voice, if it sounds wrong, you get funny looks and sniggers or are just too embarrassed to shout it then do not use that name!!

mickd1961
23-07-2017, 05:34 PM
If you are considering a slightly unusual name then don't forget to apply the 'playground' test.

Go down to a school playground at kicking out time (preferably one you are already picking a child up from to avoid been arrested & put on a register) and trying shouting the name at the top of your voice, if it sounds wrong, you get funny looks and sniggers or are just too embarrassed to shout it then do not use that name!!

That rules " F U C K NUT" and "S H A G NASTY" out of the equation then!?

I went to school with a lad who's nickname was S h a g nasty".......40 years on and he's still known by that same name.

A lad in my brothers year had a weak bladder and was known as "Wet Patch"......hopefully he's lost that tag by now!

soulman101
23-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I was the only Lloyd all through my school years,my twin brother is Neil.

Q165
23-07-2017, 07:23 PM
What about Steve? Very popular when I was a kid. I never hear it at all now. Unusual as in my view as it is 'cool'. I may be a bit biassed but go for it!

mickd1961
23-07-2017, 07:27 PM
What about Steve? Very popular when I was a kid. I never hear it at all now. Unusual as in my view as it is 'cool'. I may be a bit biassed but go for it!

Her husband is a Steve so that's not an option.

viaductbaggies
24-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Depends on the surname as it has to go together

How about Finn

Prando
24-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Paul ?

mickd1961
24-07-2017, 09:37 PM
In the end she opted for Leo Reginald John in honour of her husbands dad and my dad ( John ) and his recently departed great grandad Reg.

Both families are West Brom fans so we are hoping that our 8lb 7oz "Boster" gets to pull the Albion shirt on around 2035!

His grandad was a good non league goalie and his dad was on schoolboy books as a goalie at Albion and young Leo has massive hands and feet so he may follow that tradition.

Yesterday was the first day of the Leo star sign which seemed appropriate as well AND he was born 25 years to the day after my own son.

Another spooky fact is that my mum,myself,his own mum and Leo were all born on a Sunday!

Sundays child is supposed to be...."loving,giving,good and gay"......I'd be happy with the first three :-))

Q165
25-07-2017, 06:00 AM
In the end she opted for Leo Reginald John in honour of her husbands dad and my dad ( John ) and his recently departed great grandad Reg.

Both families are West Brom fans so we are hoping that our 8lb 7oz "Boster" gets to pull the Albion shirt on around 2035!

His grandad was a good non league goalie and his dad was on schoolboy books as a goalie at Albion and young Leo has massive hands and feet so he may follow that tradition.

Yesterday was the first day of the Leo star sign which seemed appropriate as well AND he was born 25 years to the day after my own son.

Another spooky fact is that my mum,myself,his own mum and Leo were all born on a Sunday!

Sundays child is supposed to be...."loving,giving,good and gay"......I'd be happy with the first three :-))

That's me! Not the gay bit. Congratulations Mick.